what to make with all this brocolli

CLN123

I love brocolli and could eat it every day, but now I've got a bunch. Any ideas on how to use this up? Any good brocolli recipes, such as brocolli casserole? WWYD?
What I have is plain bagged frozen brocolli.

tndee

Trader Group
My mother makes a really good broccoli cheese soup and I wanted to share the recipe but I can't seem to find it right now. Here's a Broccoli Casserole recipe that I make.

Broccoli Casserole Simplified
2 large bags frozen broccoli flowerettes, cooked in salted water and drained
1 large jar Cheez Whiz, heated slightly
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 cups cooked rice (brown or white)
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stir together all ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon into 9x13 casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake uncovered 30 - 45 minutes or until heated through and begins to brown around edges.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Lots of people like cream of broccoli soup. Some people like to eat it as a topper for baked potatoes. You can also mix it with cauliflower (although cauliflower would probably need to cook longer) and eat it plain or with some cheese over it. We like sharp cheddar.

C

clippyclippy

Like Renee said, cream of broccoli soup! My kids absolutely love it.
First I make a white sauce:
Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a pan, add a couple of tablespoons of flour and let it cook a minute. Then add milk and chicken broth. The proportions aren't too important.
Then I add the cooked broccoli and puree it all. I might also just cook the broccoli in the white sauce if it wasn't cooked ahead of time.
Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of thyme.
Serve with a bit of shredded cheese.

If I get lots of broccoli, I cook it up, puree it and freeze it in soup size portions. Then I can pull it out and just stir it into the above milk/broth mixture for a very quick soup.

F

froggie3

cream of broccoli soup
broccoli cheese soup
broccoli cheese risotto
turkey divan or chicken divan
broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breasts
broccoli and cheese topped potatoes
broccoli quiche/frittata
beef w/broccoli
broccoli salad
roasted broccoli

Broccoli is one of my kids' favorite vegetables so we eat a LOT of it. I buy a 5lb bag of frozen broccoli every month.

6months

I stir fry a lot with broccoli. It goes great in any stir fry mix just about.

S

Smee

Like Renee said, cream of broccoli soup! My kids absolutely love it.
First I make a white sauce:
Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a pan, add a couple of tablespoons of flour and let it cook a minute. Then add milk and chicken broth. The proportions aren't too important.
Then I add the cooked broccoli and puree it all. I might also just cook the broccoli in the white sauce if it wasn't cooked ahead of time.
Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of thyme.
Serve with a bit of shredded cheese.

If I get lots of broccoli, I cook it up, puree it and freeze it in soup size portions. Then I can pull it out and just stir it into the above milk/broth mixture for a very quick soup.

Ok, this right here is awesomely awesome except for the pureeing (for me). I like to be able to chew my vegetables, but to each their own, you know? Now take this awesomeness and add chunked up cooked potatoes and cooked bacon. If you cook the bacon ahead of time, you can use the bacon fat in your roux for additional health benefits. Or at least more smoky bacon flavor. It's more of a winter dish for us, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at it any other time.

35446d2d.jpg

I know, right? Yum!

We also love roasted broccoli. It's so easy. Spread on a cookie sheet or in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, toss it all around to disperse the salt and oil evenly. You can sprinkle with parm if you like. Pop it into a 400ish degree preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Take it out, shake it around a bit, and put it back for another 15ish minutes, just until it's crisping up. It's not an exact science, but it's super easy and so good that I sometimes have it as a snack when I'm craving something salty.

F

froggie3

I could go for that pot of soup right there, right about now.

S

Smee

Oops, just noticed it was frozen broccoli. It probably would not roast so well unless it's thawed and dry.

M

mnm'z

You could make a broccoli casserole... It's basically the same as Green Bean Casserole, just substitute the broccoli for green beans. My family loved it.

I also just made Chicken/Broccoli pizza's. I took a can of Grand's biscuits and flattened each one to about 6 or 7 inches... spread alfredo sauce on each biscuit, top with finely chopped broccoli then put some chopped chicken on top and then shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Yum! Next time I'll plan a head and cook up a chicken breast or so, the canned chicken I used didn't have much flavor, IMO.

M

Mama Stu

Send some to me??:wink7: I am doing a graduation party in a little over a month, we are serving a baked potato bar and dessert bar. One of the toppings we are going to offer is cheese sauce with broccoli , I have been looking for a good deal on the broccoli.