What to do with all this feta cheese?

KrispyKrittersUSA

Trader Group
So I have quite a few containers of Athenos Feta cheese in the fridge now, from a fantastic sale. Now what do I do with it?

I'm not really in the mood for Greek salad....

Any ideas?

B

brokenangel

I put it in pasta salad
before I bake garlic bread I add some Feta on top
Mashed potatoes
grilled chicken breast topped with tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms and Feta

just to name a few

S

shashabell

OMG it is soooo good on pizza. When I ordered in pizza at our work I always ordered one with feta cheese, black olives, sliced tomatoes, and pepper rings. At first everyone was ewww gross but then as time went by and it was time to order pizzas again people actually requested I order that one.

I would also try feta and bacon on baked potatoes.

TiggerToo

Mod Of The Month Oct. 2011<br>Has A Heart Of Pure
Trader Group
These are recipes from my recipe blog (family recipes using feta)
Ruby Tuesday's Basil Pesto Pasta Salad

My Father has fallen in love with this pasta salad they have on their salad bar. We had asked for the recipe, but unfortunately, they couldn't give us quanities but just gave us the ingredients. So what I did was bought the ingredients then played around until I got the dish to taste like their salad. Dad says it tastes exactly like it so I hope you enjoy!!

Made Basil Pesto first:

3 cloves of garlic
4 large sprigs of fresh basil
½ to 1 cup of parmesan cheese
2 tbsp slivered almonds
Olive oil to make a paste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor till pesto like consistency

For the pasta:
4.25 oz can of chopped black olives (they were already pre chopped)
2 roasted red peppers (marinated in water only, not pickled in vinegar and not marinated in olive oil), chopped very fine
1 pkg of feta cheese
1/3 of a Vidalia onion, chopped very finely
7 leaves of fresh spinach chiffonade cut
Salt and pepper to taste
½ pound of spaghetti, broken into threes before cooking

For the dressing:

2 tbsp of the basil pesto
3/4 cup of vegetable oil

Whisk together the vegetable oil and the basil pesto together. Mix together all of the ingredients and pour the dressing over it. Let stand to meld the ingredients together.

Chicken with Feta Cheese and Spinach

This was one of my g'mas recipes. I hope you enjoy it.

1 lb chicken breast
1 lb spinach
Garlic salt optional
Feta cheese crumbled
2 eggs, beaten
Bread crumbs
2 tbsp butter
Mushrooms
1 ½ tbsp flour
½ cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth
Juice of one lemon

Pound the chicken breast out until very thin. You will be stuffing the chicken breast with the spinach and feta cheese. Boil spinach. Chop fine than sauté in butter and garlic. Crumble cheese. Spread the chicken breast with sautéed spinach and feta cheese. Roll and dunk in eggs and crumbs and cook in a large fry pan until cooked through. Remove from heat and reserve the drippings. Add 2 tbsp butter to the drippings and the mushrooms, flour and chicken broth. Add a cup of wine. Cook until nice and saucy and a bit thick.

Mixed Greens with Blueberries and Feta

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
¼ cup fat free chicken broth
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp honey
2 small fresh mint leaves
1 cup plus 10 fresh blueberries
8 cup mixed salad greens, torn into bite sized pieces
2 oz crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese

In a blender, combine the vinegar, broth, olive oil, honey, mint leaves, and 10 blueberries. Blend the mixture at low speed just until smooth and well combined. Transfer the vinaigrette to a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and refrigerate until needed. In a large bowl, toss the mixed greens with the remaining cup of blueberries. Shake the vinaigrette until thoroughly blended, drizzle over the salad, and toss lightly. Sprinkle the feta over the top and serve.

Brant Chicken

This was another one of my g'ma's recipe. Hope you all enjoy.

chicken breasts
1 lb spinach
A bit of garlic salt
Feta cheese, the good one (Greek)
2 beaten eggs
Bread crumbs
2 tbsp butter
more than ½ lb of mushrooms
1 ½ tbsp flour
1 cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
Juice of one lemon or 1 tbsp

Pound chicken breast. Boil spinach, and chop fine. Sauté both with butter and garlic. Crumble the cheese. Spread the chicken breast fill with sautéed spinach and on top crumble the feta cheese. Roll and tie with toothpicks, than put chicken in beaten egg and bread crumbs and cook in butter and large fry pan. Brown them. Keep the fat from the chicken and add 2 tbsp butter and the mushrooms, 1 ½ tbsp flour. Add a cup of white wine, the chicken broth and cook until nice and saucy, a bit thick. Set chicken in platter. Pour gravy on top not all of the gravy. Top with lemon juice.

Turkey, Sun-dried Tomato, Artichoke and Feta "Hot Pockets"

Here it comes, turkey leftovers. We had a fantastic turkey dinner on Thursday and with the left over turkey, I made these little "hot pockets".

Phyllo dough
Cooked turkey chopped into small pieces
Sun-dried tomatoes, in olive oil, julienned,
Marinated artichokes, chopped
Feta cheese (I used fat free and couldn't tell the difference)

I am not putting measurements, because you kind of have to gauge how much goes into each. The phyllo dough is very very delicate. I used 3-4 pieces for each pocket. I put a layer of artichokes, then the turkey, then the tomatoes, and then cheese. I used an egg (beaten) as the binder for the dough. I basted the outsides of the dough. Layed one side over, then the other, then tucked up the ends. I coated the outside with the egg (to help it brown) and sprinkled a bit of paprika and parmesan cheese on top. I cooked them in the oven for abou 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven. They were actually rather tasty!!

Greek Style Lasagna

9 dried lasagna noodles
1 lb ground lamb or beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 8-oz can tomato sauce (no salt added)
¼ cup dry red wine or beef broth
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten (can replace with ¼ cup egg beaters)
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 ¾ cups milk (low or no fat)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten (can replace with ½ cup egg beaters)
1 2 ¼ can sliced pitted ripe olives, drained
8 oz crumbled feta cheese
8 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse. In large skillet cook meat, onion and garlic until meat is brown. Drain off fat. Stir in tomato sauce, wine, oregano, and cinnamon. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Gradually stir meat mixture into 1 beaten egg; set aside. In medium saucepan melt butter; stir in flour and ¼ tsp pepper. Add milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in ¼ cup Parmesan; set aside. Combine 2 eggs and remaining Parmesan. To assemble, spread 2 tbsp cheese sauce in 3 quart rectangular baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, one third each of the meat sauce, remaining cheese sauce, and olives. Drizzle with 1/3 of egg-Parmesan mixture; sprinkle with 1/3 each of cheeses. Repeat layers twice. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until hot. Let stand 10 minutes.

Italian Hamburger

What is with just eating a plain ole hamburger day after day...why not spice it up a bit. With this recipe, you can actually visit a large number of countries around the world. Tonight we met up with Italy, but tomorrow it could be Thai, or the next day it could be Greek...you pick. Mix it up, enjoy!!

2 lbs of hamburger
3 tbsp fresh oregano
2 tbsp fresh thyme
3/4 cup of sundried tomato pesto (recipe is on my blog)
4 tbsp parmesan cheese
3 tbsp ketchup

Mix together all ingredients. Form into patties and grill. Dave spiced his up. He actually broke his hamburgers into two and stuffed them with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. Then he took one patty and placed the pepperonie and mozzarella on it and then took another patty and laid it on top.

Spice it up a bit...Go to Thailand and add chopped scallions, peanut sauce, crushed red pepper flakes and a touch of soy sauce. Or go to Greece, add oregano, feta cheese and top with tsatsiki sauce. Or go to China and mix chopped scallions, chopped ginger, soy sauce and hoisin sauce. There are a number of possibilities or combinations you could try!!

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

We used the grill for this, but if you don't have a grill, you could definitely broil them in the oven.

Italian Sausage (hot), crumbled and browned.
3 cloves garlic, sauteed
2 shallots, sauteed
1 pkg small spinach, drained
1 package feta cheese
2 tbsp bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tbsp fresh thyme
4 large portobello mushrooms

Sautee the garlic, shallots and Italian sausage until fully cooked, add the spinach and fresh herbs and just saute until mixed with the oils from the sausage. Put the mixture into a food processor and add the bread crumbs and the 2 eggs. Food process until completely blended. Fold in the feta cheese. Stuff portobellos and top with some parmigianno reggiano cheese and a dab of hot sauce. Grill with the outer two burners on and the center one off at a temp of about 350 for about 20 minutes. Place them on the center of the grill.

Mario's Feta Pasta

Well...this is what I was looking for. My dad made this pasta this evening and wanted to share it with all of you. Now remember, for all of the canned items, such as the diced tomatoes, you can purchase the jars of diced tomato with no sodium that way you can control the amount of salt that goes into your dish.

1 6-ounce jar marinated button mushrooms
3 teaspoons capers
1 medium onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
1 14 ounce can quartered artichoke hearts not marinated. drained
1 roasted red pepper in olive oil rough chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ pound linguini (cooked al dente)
10 large black olives canned in water whole
10 leaves fresh basil chopped roughly
seasoned salt to taste
chopped red pepper flakes to taste
olive oil
4 ounces crumbles feta cheese
2 teaspoons dried parsley

Heat large skillet add liberal amount of olive oil and sauté sprig of Rosemary to infuse oil. Remove rosemary and add onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and continue to sauté. Artichoke hearts, button mushrooms with 2 teaspoons of the marinade from the jar. Add the oregano, capers and stir. Add the chopped peppers, olives, basil, and canned tomatoes with juice. Add pepper flakes and salt to taste. Continue to sauté until all the ingredients are hot and the sauce thickens a bit. Add the pasta and stir all together.

Before serving add the feta cheese and parsley and mix thoroughly. Check seasoning and serve with garlic bread and a good Retsina Greek wine
Homemade Cream of Tomato Soup

1 shallot
3 tbsp garlic
2 lbs fresh tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 tsp allspice
Salt and pepper to taste (for the salt, use the Lite salt with added potassium)
1/4 tsp pepper flakes
1 small jar, sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
2 cans of smoked tomatoes (organic) (no salt added)
1 pkg of basil and tomato feta cheese (low fat)
1 pkg mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup cooking sherry
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (low fat or no fat)

Sauté the shallot and garlic in the oil from the sun dried tomatoes. Add the sun dried tomatoes. Add the Sherry and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add all of the tomatoes and the 1/2 cup chicken stock. Cook until the tomatoes are beginning to fall apart. Puree the mixture with one of those hand/wand mixers. Add the mascarpone cheese and the feta cheese and blend with the wand mixer again. Add all of the spices and mix once more with the wand mixer. Cook for about 5-10 more minutes and stir in the whipping cream. When serving sprinkle Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on top.

KrispyKrittersUSA

Trader Group
I am going to be in Feta Cheese HEAVEN! Thank you so much for putting so much effort into this! I'm sure I'm not the only one that got a ton of feta cheese with the sales they have had lately. We are all really going to enjoy these! And the cool part is, these are tried and true...

Thanks and reps to you!!!

KrispyKrittersUSA

Trader Group
OMG it is soooo good on pizza. When I ordered in pizza at our work I always ordered one with feta cheese, black olives, sliced tomatoes, and pepper rings. At first everyone was ewww gross but then as time went by and it was time to order pizzas again people actually requested I order that one.

I would also try feta and bacon on baked potatoes.

That sounds kinda cool too, thanks! Reps.

TiggerToo

Mod Of The Month Oct. 2011<br>Has A Heart Of Pure
Trader Group
Here are a few more... Our family loves feta

Artichoke Spinach Lasagna

Ingredients:

cooking spray
9 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 (14 ounce) can marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
1 (28 ounce) jar tomato pasta sauce
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 (4 ounce) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes, or until onion is tender-crisp. Stir in broth and rosemary; bring to a boil. Stir in artichoke hearts and spinach; reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in pasta sauce. Spread 1/4 of the artichoke mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish; top with 3 cooked noodles. Sprinkle 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese over noodles. Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with artichoke mixture and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle crumbled feta on top. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover, and bake 15 minutes more, or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Greek Feta and Olive Omelet

2 tsp butter
2 egg
1 tbsp water
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 pinch dried oregano
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
2 tbsp crumbled
feta cheese

2 tbsp chopped pitted black olives

In 8-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. In bowl and with fork, stir together eggs, water, oregano, salt and pepper, just until mixed; pour into skillet. Cook for 3 minutes or until almost set, gently lifting edges with spatula to allow uncooked eggs to flow underneath. Sprinkle half of the omelette with
feta cheese and olives; fold uncovered half over top and cook for 2 minutes. Slide onto plate.

Greek-Style Beef Skillet

Tender pieces of beef combined with the unusual flavours of the Mediterranean for a quick-to-fix meal. Garnish with black olives.

1 lb flank or sirloin steak
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (28 oz or 19 oz) can stewed tomatoes
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)

Slice steak thinly across the grain. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; brown beef on both sides; remove from pan. Saute onion and garlic in pan drippings 2 minutes; drain off fat. Stir in tomatoes, lemon juice, cumin and cinnamon; bring to boil; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tbsp water; stir into pan and cook until thickened. Stir in beef and heat through. Serve over cooked rice, if desired, and sprinkle with feta cheese.

Feta Cheese Triangles

1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup goat cheese or ricotta
1 egg, beaten
1 green onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 pkg frozen puff pastry, thawed
beaten egg for glazing pastry

Preheat oven to 425 F. Lightly grease baking sheet. In medium bowl, combine feta, goat cheese or ricotta, egg, green onion and pepper. Set aside. On lightly floured surface, roll out half the puff pastry to a 10-inch (25 cm) square. With a sharp knife, cut pastry into 9 even squares. Repeat with second half of pastry dough. Working with one square at a time, place a spoonful of the cheese mixture in middle of each pastry square. Brush edges very lightly with water, then fold one corner over to meet the opposite corner, forming a triangle. Press edges to seal, then crimp firmly shut with the tines of a fork. Place triangles on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Brus tops lightly with the second beaten egg. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until tops are golden and bottoms are nicely browned. Makes 18 triangles.

Grecian Chicken Breasts

6 boneless split chicken breasts
salt & pepper to taste
1 package(10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 package(8 oz) feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup mayo
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 Tsp. paprika
8 strips bacon
Defrost chicken breasts in microwave. Preheat oven to 325º. Cut a pocket into each chicken breast. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Thoroughly drain and squeeze any liquid from thawed spinach. Do not cook. Combine with feta cheese, mayo and garlic. Stuff into chicken breast pockets. Combine flour and paprika and lightly coat stuffed chicken breasts. Wrap 2 strips bacon around each and place on baking rack in baking dish. Bake uncovered for 1 hour until chicken tests done. (note:may be prepared ahead , cover well, refrigerate or freeze and bake later. If frozen, thaw in refrigerator before baking. 6 Servings

B

brokenangel

I freeze Feta without issues. I usually buy the crumbled feta so I dont know if that makes a difference

C

cecaic0609

I've just been using it in my salads, but I'd love to find a REALLY easy spinach and feta salad like they sell in the deli section...mmmmmmm

M

mrsthrifty

I second the feta and spinach salad idea! My favorite salad is feta, spinach, apple and walnuts with raspberry vinaigrette! Awesome combo!

W

wolfangel

the artichoke spinach feta lasagna thingy sounds ah. ma. ZING! lol Def going to be trying that one!!

P

padmelupin

I love feta and tomatos in a pita, zap it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Excellent lunch or snack!