What preserved goods have you used today?

M

MrsPinecone

Home canned pie filling on top of the pancakes this morning.

T

to1drland

Can you please share your canned corned beef recipe?
I have some rebates that I want to do for corned beef and in anticipation of some sales for St. Patty's day, I wanted to preserve some for later. I have canned beef, chicken, and hamburger. Same process for corned beef?
:patty15:

:wave88:
I use these guidelines...good luck!

T

to1drland

Do you buy the corned beef that are packed with the seasoning in them? If so, do you cook it in the seasoning and then pack or do you raw pack without the seasonings?

I use the seasoning in some...but not all. I raw pack it

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardencook

Trader Group
* Made a really delicious cobbler for dessert Friday night. I put a quart of peach pie filling in the bottom of a rectangular Pyrex baking dish, sprinkled a Butter Pecan cake mix on top and then dotted that with butter and some olive oil. A new spin on a simple classic I'd heard about for years, but never actually tried.

* We used up the last of the cherry balsamic red onion jam on toasted cheese sandwiches with soup the other night. That was really delicious.

*Used more sweet and sour sauce for chicken tenders the other night, as well.

T

to1drland

using 1 pint of canned corned beef for hash today, and using a quart bag of frozen broccoli from our garden to make lunch today.

T

to1drland

This past week we used-
2 Qts of green beans,
1 Qt of freezer corn,
1 Qt of frozen broccoli,
1 pint of carrots
1 Qt jar of mexican chicken soup,
1/2 a loaf of frozen banana bread,
2 cups dehydrated potatoes

T

to1drland

this past week we used-
2 pints of green beans
2 c. dried bread crumbs
1/2 loaf of frozen banana bread
1 jar diced tomatoes

Gardencook

Trader Group
Pulled out another jar of peach BBQ sauce for tonight's dinner. Made chicken and bean patties out of the planned leftovers I made in the Crock Pot the other night. Used part of the jar in the patties themselves and then put the rest on top of the patties when they were almost done cooking. DH loved them and there are planned leftovers from the planned leftovers for his lunch tomorrow. For a person who doesn't like meal planning, I've been doing a lot of planning this week.

Otherwise, nothing exciting being used -- jam, chutney, relish and sweet and sour sauce -- all used in pretty predictable ways.

Gardencook

Trader Group
In the last few days we've used another jar of chutney -- first on curried chicken burgers with red lentil curry soup and then on grilled turkey and Swiss cheese sandwiches tonight. We also had corn relish in place of pickles on our burgers the other night along with another crisp made from my peach mint pie filling for dessert.

Of course, we've gone through a couple more jars of jam and some sweet and sour sauce, as well.

M

MrsPinecone

For her Mother's Day gift, my mom took a jar each of pasta sauce, plums, sour cherries, diced tomatoes, strawberry jam, tomato jam, sour cherry chutney and pepper jelly.

The kids have been working their way through the canned fruit. I won't let 'em touch the pineapple, though. That's new. LOL

T

to1drland

* just finished the last of the frozen asparagus from last year- perfect timing, since it's just gotten started here in the garden this year.

* been using a lot of the green beans lately

* sorted the entire home canned goods shelves to get a better idea of what is down there still. gonna need to do- green beans (for sure), pears, tomatoes (rotel style), potatoes & soups for sure

STallerico

Trader Group
Today i made 3 Pint jars of Pickled Radishes Here is the recipe if anyone wants to try it :)

Quick Pickled Radishes
1 1/2 cups radishes
10 fl oz vinegar
10 peppercorns
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar (optional, or use honey, stevia, etc.)
1 small onion
1 bay leaf
Slice up radishes and onion. Bring vinegar, peppercorns, sugar and salt to a boil. Place radishes, onion and bay leaf into a clean mason jar. Pour vinegar mixture over radishes. Refrigerate overnight. Makes 1 pint. So delicious!

M

MrsPinecone

Made crock pot salsa chicken with home canned salsa and black beans and home-frozen corn.

The cherry bbq sauce that I made used 1/2 cup of last year's cherry preserves.

M

MrsPinecone

Making mini pies in muffin tins to use up some of last year's stuff. Cherry and peach-vanilla.

002.JPG

M

MrsPinecone

Cracked open that Bloody Mary mix that I made back in June along with some pickled asparagus to go into it. The mix needed more horseradish and some heat, but that was easy enough to remedy.

bugweena

Trader Group
Used some canned tomatoes and canned beef chunks (beef stew meat) and made some soup in the crockpot. Added a store bought can of mixed veggies, some beef stock, home dehydrated onions, cauliflower, carrots, celery. I also found some alphabet pasta last weekend at a country market and added some of that. Tasty. Had oyster crackers tonight but making cornbread tomorrow night for the leftovers.

M

MrsPinecone

Today I made a peach-blueberry crisp.

I used a pint-and-a-half jar of my peach-vanilla pie filling and about 1.5 cups of frozen blueberries. I winged the topping-- half stick of butter, half a cup each of whole wheat flour, rolled oats and brown sugar, plus a tsp of cinnamon. It was delicious and tasted like summer on New Year's Day!!

M

MrsPinecone

My kids are happily eating their way through my stock of plain canned fruit. Peaches, pears, pineapple, apricots, applesauce.

I am on my last jar of tomato jam, so I am going to use some of my plain diced tomatoes to make more. I love it on toast with sliced avocado.

I need to start using my chutneys and BBQ sauce.