What preserved goods have you used today?

bugweena

Trader Group
Making cream of tomato soup for lunch using my mom's home canned roma tomatoes! Yummy goodness on a cold winter's day.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Making cream of tomato soup for lunch using my mom's home canned roma tomatoes! Yummy goodness on a cold winter's day.

I've REALLY been craving homemade tomato soup for a few weeks now. Need to get some made, but ours will have to come from store-bought tomatoes. :sigh2:No matter how many tomatoes I plant, we never have enough for canning. I can get them much cheaper in the store.

bugweena

Trader Group
Used my canned ground beef last night. Mixed with rotel, elbow macaroni and velveeta for a casserole of sorts. It was pretty yummy.

bugweena

Trader Group
I've REALLY been craving homemade tomato soup for a few weeks now. Need to get some made, but ours will have to come from store-bought tomatoes. :sigh2:No matter how many tomatoes I plant, we never have enough for canning. I can get them much cheaper in the store.

My mom has great luck with tomatoes so I trade her my canned chicken and ground beef for her canned tomatoes!

Gardencook

Trader Group
My mom has great luck with tomatoes so I trade her my canned chicken and ground beef for her canned tomatoes!

Wish I lived closer to my mom so we could do things like that. Don't know why like it often works out that way. My mom was the closest of all the children to her mother and she was the one who ended up having to move away. Then I was the closest of all the children to my mom and history repeated itself. :hectic:
I used to have a steam canner, but we thought we were moving her way so I took my canning/dehydrating supplies there to make it less to move. Then we didn't end up moving so I had to haul them all back home. :sad3:
She had taken a real liking to my steamer canner in that time, however. She loved the fact that she can just do a quart or two of tomatoes at a time as they were ready. Since I usually can't afford fruit or tomatoes here to can and can't grow enough of them, I let her keep it. She gets a lot more use from it than I would.
As long as she can fight back the MONSTER slugs, she CAN grow tomatoes -- and now a neighbor dragged home a bag of snails from the forest, because she thought they looked "pretty!" Apparently, the woman wasn't aware that things like that don't stay in your yard and now the whole neighborhood is fighting them! :rolleyes24:

bugweena

Trader Group
Gardencook-- my biggest issue is my neighbor's pile of rocks he stacked on his side next to our privacy fence in the backyard. There are various rodents living in the piles of stones and they love squeezing through the boards of the fence and munching on my garden. I have dogs so can't put out poison. I see a bunch of mouse/rat traps in my future!

Gardencook

Trader Group
Gardencook-- my biggest issue is my neighbor's pile of rocks he stacked on his side next to our privacy fence in the backyard. There are various rodents living in the piles of stones and they love squeezing through the boards of the fence and munching on my garden. I have dogs so can't put out poison. I see a bunch of mouse/rat traps in my future!

We fought moles/voles/gophers for a few years and that was NOT fun. I lost SO many plants I can't replace! Contractors started building on the empty lots that had been standing for years and those rodents needed somewhere to go, so the established yards were the perfect environment. All the neighbors were pulling out their hair, because NOTHING worked on them.
They seemed to choose our back yard for the major highway interesections. A neighbor cat spent most of his time in our backyard. I can still remember him staring at the ground with his head cocked every which way. He could hear them, even if we couldn't. The next door neighbor said the cat caught a huge mole one time.
I finally fell through the lawn when gardening one day, so we set a box trap in the hole for an entire summer and kept catching them, and catching them, and catching them... We had to cover the hole with plant flats, so the poor cat wouldn't get caught in it.
Still can't grow anything in some spots in the yard where the tunnels haven't yet collapsed. No matter how much you water, the spots are always dry.

bugweena

Trader Group
Used some stew meat/cut up beef that I had canned to make a roast beef hash tonight. Just diced an onion, a few potatoes, added a pint of canned meat with the juice, a little water mixed with a brown gravy packet. Added salt, onion powder, and worchestershire sauce. Cooked until the potatoes were done and the mixture was sticking to the pan so it got a little crispiness to it. Yummy! My DSO liked it so much he asked for seconds! Definitely going to make this again.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Used some stew meat/cut up beef that I had canned to make a roast beef hash tonight. Just diced an onion, a few potatoes, added a pint of canned meat with the juice, a little water mixed with a brown gravy packet. Added salt, onion powder, and worchestershire sauce. Cooked until the potatoes were done and the mixture was sticking to the pan so it got a little crispiness to it. Yummy! My DSO liked it so much he asked for seconds! Definitely going to make this again.

That sounds really delicious -- but then we are BIG hash fans at our house.
It has been a weird week, so haven't been cracking into new territory with my canned goods. We did open a jar of peach, lemon and spearmint jam with mint from the garden! YUM!

S

SLP99

We've been going through a few jars of salsa per week-so good! I used up my last jar of apple sauce about 2 weeks ago and the kids keep asking for more. I broke down and bought some at the store, but they keep saying that it doesn't taste as good. I'll have to make more next year and find a good supply of inexpensive apples.

O

OneHotMomma

We're out of salsa. I can't wait to make more. Gonna grow extra tomatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers, and onions just for canning salsa. It's so good. I'm having to buy Pace at the Kroger Mega this week and I'm not happy about it. Really need to figure how many I need to make this year.

M

MrsPinecone

Had PB&Js today with homemade strawberry-balsamic jam. Yum.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Just made a big batch of egg salad using sweet onion relish in place of the usual pickles. Really delicious!

Gardencook

Trader Group
Mixed a jar of homemade jam with a big container of plain yogurt I got on markdown.
Made curried chicken salad from tandoori chicken leftover from dinner. Added extra flavor with sweet onion relish and mango chutney.
As I was putting the chutney in the chicken salad I realized THAT was what I needed on the quinoa I served with dinner tonight! I had a headache and couldn't think of anything. :banghead:

T

to1drland

preserved things we used so far this week-
our canned corned beef & kraut used to make Reuben sandwiches
Home canned Turkey Vegetable soup
Frozen corn from our garden used in Mexican goulash

Gardencook

Trader Group

Yum! I want to eat at your house!

We've continued to use more of the same:

Sauerkraut and onion relish on Turkey Rachel sandwiches
Chutney on turkey sandwiches with Indian naan bread
Chutney in turkey salad
Jam to flavor plain yogurt
Jam with almond butter for toast.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We cracked open another jar of spiced cherry balsamic red onion jam to put on steaks for dinner last night.

bugweena

Trader Group
Can you please share your canned corned beef recipe?
I have some rebates that I want to do for corned beef and in anticipation of some sales for St. Patty's day, I wanted to preserve some for later. I have canned beef, chicken, and hamburger. Same process for corned beef?
:patty15: