What preserved goods have you used today?

M

MrsPinecone

Since the season for actual canning and freezing has slowed down or stopped (depending on who you ask), what have you used from your shelves or freezer lately? Bonus points if you give us the recipe!

I am making some food for my Christmas party in advance. I made mini cherry pies in a muffin tin and froze them uncooked. I will bake the day before the party. That same party will use both pepper jelly and Black Forest jams.

M

MoneySavinDiva

I'm making apple crisps and apple pies with the filling I made and canned.

I also canned lots of applesauce and my extended family enjoys it when I stir brown sugar in and serve it warm with Christmas dinner.

Usually I give jam and pickles for Christmas gifts each year. This year I won't since I didn't get any jam canned...next year. :smile:

M

MrsPinecone

I did give a bunch for Christmas-- totally forgot. My brother got a "local gift basket" from me and I dropped it off at Thanksgiving. Pancake and bread mixes from a mill 5 miles from me, 2 jars of Concord grape jelly, one pepper jelly, one Black Forest, one salsa and one apple butter. A ceramic bowl made by a friend of mine, some maple sugar candy and a bar of locally made goat's milk soap. Even the goats are local. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
O

OneHotMomma

Having home canned salsa with our taco nachos for dinner tonight. We had baked apples from a jar of canned apples with our breakfast on Saturday. Yummy!

M

MrsPinecone

More party food-- hummus made from home-canned garbanzo beans. Also peach-vanilla pies with homemade filling.

M

MrsPinecone

Stuff used for birthday and Christmas parties this past week:
Salsa
Pepper jelly
Bread & butter pickles
Garlic dill pickles
Baba ganoush from the freezer
Sour cherry pie filling
Peach-vanilla pie filling
Garbanzo beans in the hummus

Not bad. I got a lot of compliments on everything.

M

MrsPinecone

Today the kids are having "mommy pears" with lunch. Some unidentified variety from a friend's tree, canned in extra light cinnamon syrup. Smells like summer on a blizzardy day. We're in for 12-18 inches of snow!!

Gardencook

Trader Group
Today the kids are having "mommy pears" with lunch. Some unidentified variety from a friend's tree, canned in extra light cinnamon syrup. Smells like summer on a blizzardy day. We're in for 12-18 inches of snow!!
I wasn't thrilled to see our snow arrive a couple weeks back -- even though we REALLY need the water. However, I'm less thrilled with the temperatures that have followed. We're getting down to anywhere from 10 to 20 degrees below zero this week. Haven't seen temperatures that low for several years and we HAVE NOT missed them! :winter1:

For the most part, we've been using our canned goods in rather boring ways.
A lot of jam on toast -- with some almond butter I got a good price on with coupons. :wink7:
Chutney and relish along side meats with dinner.
Did make muffins with chutney in the center one night and jam another.
I've been making egg rolls lately and we've gone through several jars of pineapple and cherry pineapple sweet and sour sauce with those.
I used a jar of taco sauce in an enchilada casserole I tossed in the Crock Pot the other night. (It was a throw together and I'd never be able to re-create it. :rolleyes24:)
I used chutney on a roast in the Crock Pot awhile back and it was delicious!
Used some leftover corn relish in cornbread a couple weeks back.
I've been getting some good deals on fresh salsa for almost free recently, so we're using that and saving my homemade stuff for when I can't get it so cheap.
We've had some crisp with pie filling, as well.

O

OneHotMomma

Just because it's boring doesn't mean it isn't tasty ;)

Gardencook

Trader Group
Tried my home canned peach barbecue sauce on a chicken roasted in the clay pot the other night and it was really delicious!
We used some of the leftover chicken in quesadillas with mango salsa the next day and that was equally good.
More leftover chicken went with leftover fried rice into chicken patties for dinner tonight. I even had some leftover potatoes and onions which I roasted under the chicken, so they had a lot of good flavor and made tasty cottage fries to go along with it.
The carcass/BBQ drippings are going in the Crock Pot of stock that I'll use for dinner tomorrow night.
I'd say the time I invested in that jar of BBQ sauce was worth it! :hysterical: I've still got quite a few more left from that batch. YUM! Even DH raved about it and he doesn't really like store bought BBQ sauce. If anyone is interested in trying the recipe next year, you can find it here: Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce

O

OneHotMomma

Adding it to the list of yummy sounding things to make! Mmmmm!

Gardencook

Trader Group
Still working our way through the jams and chutney.
Fannie Farmer's sweet and hot corn relish went into the cornbread for tonight's dinner. I made a couple different corn relishes, so had to label them to keep track of which we liked best. :giggle2:
Made Mexican Chicken Lime soup as the main course and used homemade hot pepper sauce in that.
Got meatloaf ready to pop in the oven for tomorrow's dinner. Since it was open, I put in corn relish and more hot pepper sauce along with the vegetables I used to stretch the meat. Plan to put a jar of my cherry balsamic red onion jam on top of the loaf as a glaze when it is almost done.
If I get it thrown together, I will probably make another crisp with some of my peach mint pie filling for dessert.

Dengineer

Trader Group
I canned some sweet potatoes in the pressure canner a few weeks ago. I decided to open a couple of jars tonight to try them out. They were very soft but their color was almost like fresh sweet potatoes. I mashed them with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. They weren't too bad. And no one has come down with food poisoning so far, so that's good news!

M

MrsPinecone

Eating homemade pesto from the freezer for dinner. Tastes like summer in January!

M

MrsPinecone

I made Southern Meatballs - the ones with the Heinz chili sauce and grape jelly. I made a knockoff chili sauce with home canned tomato puree and honey instead of corn syrup and used my homemade grape jelly.

They were yummy, but my kids don't like them!! They eat any kind of meatball, except these, apparently.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Just tossed a roast in the Crock-Pot with a jar of pineapple chutney on top.
Have peach spearmint pie filling in the oven with a oatmeal-mint crisp topping for dessert. First time putting mint extract in the crisp topping, but thought the regular cinnamon might drown out the mint in the filling.
Used the cherry-pineapple dipping sauce on chicken strips the other night.
Corn relish went with mackerel patties for dinner a couple nights ago. Thought it would have been good to put the relish IN the patties, but after I got them all molded and ready for the pan I realized I had forgotten to put the relish in. :hectic:
Of course, we still keep working our way through jam on sandwiches and hot pepper sauce in a variety of recipes.

M

MrsPinecone

Making crock pot salsa chicken with local frozen corn, a pint of homemade salsa and home-canned organic black beans.