What food is growing in your yard that will come back next year?

Discussion in 'Farm To Table' started by bugface711, Aug 26, 2013.

Moderators: JoesWife
  1. bugface711

bugface711 Mod Of The Month Dec. 2010 <BR> Sǝɔᴚǝʇɐᴚʎ ʇo ʇɥǝ Q Trader Group

I am sloooowwwwwllllyyyy making more of my landscape edible. Love having some things that just keep coming back.

Wondering what others have :)

I have a few strawberry plants. Had a TON a few years ago from an organic garden that was clearing out beds & like a dummy I shared them until I had only about 20 left. Well, not all made it. So now I have maybe 8 plants. Hoping they spread over time though.

I just picked up a few little blueberry cuttings to plant that will hopefully become full grown bushes in years to come, but HAPPY DANCE this morning I found some wild blueberries in my yard at the woodsline. WOOT.

Which brings me to WHY I was at the woodsline... I have raspberries & wineberries. Had them in my garden, small neat row. They have taken over a huge area so I spent some time last night digging some. This morning I was clearing a new area to put them and while clearing I found the blueberries. So, I cleared all kinds of junk from around them & will cross fingers that they really spread out now that they have more room.

The raspberries & wine berries shall have netting over them next year so I can actually get some!

I also planted 2 small grape cuttings 4 years ago. Last year we got just a few sad little grapes. This year it the plant has taken over the arbor & all the fencing around it. Have to do something new to support them for next year.

For those with fruit trees, how long till they started producing? Thinking apple, pear, peach trees are in my future. Would love an online source if any of you have them that is cheaper than most places. Looked last year and a small fruit tree was $25 and up at the nursery EEK.

Oh, and garlic chives. Love adding that to pesto.

Last but not least, I have some herbs that keep coming back. Hoping to cultivate that a little better going forward. Oregano, parsley & mint.

So, share & give me some ideas in the process. What did you plant that just keeps giving you more food?

2. NoHio

NoHio Well-Known Member Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

Blackberries, strawberries, asparagus, and grapes. All of these were already there when we bought our house. I love the free food!

3. bugface711

Thanks to [MENTION=300094]MsSweetCheeks[/MENTION] I now have satsuma tree on my short list. had never heard of them (have you?) they look awesome & can do my cold winter.

4. motherofmolly

motherofmolly The Mushroom MoM-ma Trader Group

rhubarb (plan on adding 10 more roots of this next year...in 3 years ill be swimming in it)

asparagus (will add more next year, what i have is what was here before i moved and it is in the wood line)

herbs (of course).
    [MENTION=34395]bugface711[/MENTION] i planted a few pear (got at big lots when they clearanced them last fall) and peach and a nectarine tree. oh and two plus. these all were about 2-3 year old plants (about 6 feet tall). this year i got 2 nectarines. they say by 5 years you start to see more fruit. i have seeds in the freezer now and hoping to start them in a pot. figure if i get them started, in 5 years ill be rolling in it. the peach,plum and nectarine trees i got on clearance at the farm store, and they were $15 if i remember correctly. normal price between $25-$35 each.

5. bugface711

[MENTION=13504]motherofmolly[/MENTION] BIG LOTS!!! brilliant. Will check there soon. Looked @ home depot again today. $20.99 $ 24.99 I like $15 way better :)

I did buy 2 non edibles. Deeply in love with hibiscus plants. One of my fave & I have none. Got 2 today for 9.99. they were starting their close out on plants but there were only a few so I did not want to wait.

OK rhubarb, my grandfater grew this when I was a kid. stalks good, leaves bad right? Whats it taste like & how versatile is it to cook with & is it easy to grow?

My hubby is dying cuz we do not have a farm but I am like you can have your grassy front lawn, the kids can have an area in back, but I want to push back some trees & create more space for edibles. Where my garden is now, was total woods when I bought this house. It took a while, but the soil is great now.

6. motherofmolly

when checking big lots, check the plants. half the time they forget to water them. but out of the 3 pears i got last year, two appeared to die. but then grew from the bottom. so all 3 are alive and kicking. i think they were $5 on clearance.

and yes rhubarb stalks is what you eat...and the leaves are poisonous. plant it by a rooting and let it establish itself. the first year you get stalks, do not cut them. let them be, then the following year cut them. this allows for it to double that second year. rhubarb is great mixed with strawberries for preserves and pie. and also good by itself. it is sweet. very sweet. the nice thing is it grows. you do nothing but harvest. and the next year it multiples and gets bigger. lots of people like it, but dont have any. so it is a good item to trade extras of.

7. motherofmolly

and dont forget nut trees.

someone gave me two english walnuts (this is the type of walnut you get in stores). hazelnut is another good one to grow. or a pecan. they take awhile to establish and my husband cusses them when he mowes (mainly the black walnut trees, but hey i didnt plant them).

8. to1drland

to1drland New Member Trader Group

So far we have-
    garlic chives
    mulberries
    strawberries
    Raspberries
    Blackberries
    Rhubarb
    Asparagus
    Bartlett Pears
    Apples
    Cherries
    blueberries
    peaches
    Black walnuts
    Pecans

9. CW&M Mom

CW&M Mom ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶Dugalina٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶<br><b>ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ ᙢᘎG!</b> Trader Group

rhubarb, peaches, cherries

I've tried multiple times to get strawberries to come and stay, with no such luck.

10. FabiaUnie

FabiaUnie New Member

Most of the products we grow annuals . In other words, every winter annuals die and need to be replanted in the spring. Long-term , on the other hand, will keep coming back year after year. Here are some delicious perennials planted so far.:hectic:

11. SherLynn

SherLynn Member Trader Group

We have red raspberries, yellow raspberries, winter onions, chives, asparagus and rhubarb.

12. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Coconuts!

Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  13. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Show off! ;)

Who can beat that one?

jastwins likes this.
  14. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

MMMMMMMMmmmmm.......nothing!
    I do not have a green thumb like my dad, but this year 2 co-workers each gave me a tomato plant. Both co-workers have beautiful gardens and grew these tomato plants from seeds. One even has a greenhouse and is also a beekeeper, so she has given me honey too. My tomato plants survived but the deer ate almost every tomato that sprouted on both plants. Yesterday,I rescued about 9 cherry tomatoes that were green on the vine and brought them inside. If you do not have a fence around your garden, where I live, the deer will devour it.

Gardencook likes this.
Moderators: JoesWife