What can I do with loaf bread that's not fresh enough for sandwiches?

J

jonjaktez

or bread that was smashed when my 17 yr old DS put a gallon of milk on the loaf right after I bought it?

I've never had bread pudding, but I"m not against making it. I'd also like something that I freeze or somethings now and use it later.

I just don't want to throw the bread away. I want to use it.

TIA

S

SyLph211

Make your own croutons with it. Toast them with a herb seasoning or ranch dry mix and place them in a bag.

J

jldemole

We use them to feed the birds down at the river--pack a picnic and just have a leisurely time

W

W0Wme

Make your own bread crumbs (can freeze & use as you need bread crumbs), feed the birds & squirrels (love doing this every weekend, sit at my picnic table thats at my side yard and toss pieces to the ground, then go to my front porch and watch them ... so relaxing & cheaper than a spa), Dog treats..mine poochies love bread. HTH

T

tdtowen

Here's what I do with my extra breads....

Croutons: I cube the bread, coat in olive oil and seasonings of choice, and then bake at around 200 degrees until they are completely dry and crunchy. This takes a few hours. If I do them at night, I cook at 350 for an hour and then turn off the oven without opening the door at all. In the morning they are done from the residual heat.

Breadcrumbs: Using above croutons.... smash / food processor/ blender them until they are crumbs.

Stuffing: Using above croutons.... add sauteed onions, carrots, etc. and broth. (basically, treat the croutons like you would a stouffers stuffing mix)

I keep the croutons/breadcrumbs in the freezer, because of the addition of olive oil and also to extend the life of them. I turn all of the end pieces from every loaf we buy/make into breadcrumbs and just keep adding to the bag.

S

Shannon T

I love to used old bread on top of homemade Mac & Cheese. Just cube it up and mix it with some melted butter and put on top of your mac & cheese before you bake it in the oven. So yummy!!!!:biggrin:

M

moxi

I make french toast-it freezes well
-I make croutons too-mine only take about 1/2 hour @ 300, just to dry it out
-hard hot dog and hamburger buns-I butter them, sometimes use a little garlic and herbs, sprinkle generously with parm cheese and Broil for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown,,,,yum!
-Use it for meatloaf.

S

SyLph211

Croutons: I cube the bread, coat in olive oil and seasonings of choice, and then bake at around 200 degrees until they are completely dry and crunchy. This takes a few hours. If I do them at night, I cook at 350 for an hour and then turn off the oven without opening the door at all. In the morning they are done from the residual heat.

HOw do you make croutons?

This is the way. Sorry I wasn't thinking when I posted. DUH ME:rolleyes24: Anyway this is the best way!

L

latte

Breadcrumbs: Using above croutons.... smash / food processor/ blender them until they are crumbs.

Stuffing: Using above croutons.... add sauteed onions, carrots, etc. and broth. (basically, treat the croutons like you would a stouffers stuffing mix)

I keep the croutons/breadcrumbs in the freezer, because of the addition of olive oil and also to extend the life of them. I turn all of the end pieces from every loaf we buy/make into breadcrumbs and just keep adding to the bag.

omg!!! thank you thank you for the stuffing idea!! i have a 9 year old who will clear a whole box of stuffing by himself if i let him!!!

i cant remember the last time i had a loaf of bread get stale before we used it...........keeping the bread in the fridge will help keep it fresher longer as well:)

J

jonjaktez

Thank you everyone. You have given GREAT ideas.

Moxi, the french toast... you make it, fry it and all, and then freeze it? Does it not get all soggy when you reheat it to eat it later?

rrpate

Member Of The Month Feb. 2011
Trader Group
i have an OLD meat grinder... i do all the drying and cutting seasoning if you like... and then grind it up and then you have bread crumbs for coating chicken , pork chops.. you can make your own shake and bake... add seasonings after or before grinding ... up to you.. place in container and freeze .. take out portions you will need... works great for meat loaf too..

F

frugalstafar

breakfast casserole is an awesome way to use it up-google it for different recipes. Basically it is a mixture of eggs, milk, cheese and spices-poured over buttered torn up bread; cover with cooked breakfast meat and more cheese-keep in fridge overnight to let it all soak together then bake. very yummy!

J

jonjaktez

i have an OLD meat grinder... i do all the drying and cutting seasoning if you like... and then grind it up and then you have bread crumbs for coating chicken , pork chops.. you can make your own shake and bake... add seasonings after or before grinding ... up to you.. place in container and freeze .. take out portions you will need... works great for meat loaf too..

How do you do this if you don't have a meat grinder? Do you use a food processor or blender or what?

S

Sculpture Widow

easy one.

BREAD PUDDING !!!!!!! can google a recipe.

I just let the stale bread soak in milk a while, add eggs, sugar, vanilla, raisins, cinnamon, etc. Bake in water bath.

Can go extra fancy and made a sauce to top. YUMMO !!!

L

Lmnde

Breadcrumbs - I have a food chopper that I use to make breadcrumbs.

And I do mine plain without cutting up or adding spices or herbs - simply let the bread airdry [weather permitting] or simply dry it in the oven [200-225* - I often throw some in after baking or broiling meat and use the residual heat to dry them].

Mostly bread doesn't get a chance to get stale here, and we do no longer have a "old bread" store here locally, otherwise we would have breadpudding or french toast all the time...

S

soakyourfeet

French Toast. You can google a "recipe" LOL or just mix about three eggs (more or less for your family size) with a fork until broken up and little frothy, add some milk. Mix again. Dip bread in mixture and cook in a hot skillet (sprayed with pam) on each side, until golden brown. Serve with left over apple pie filling with whip cream, fresh fruit, whatever... or pancake syrup.

Pancake syrup. Combine equal parts brown sugar, granulated sugar and water. (I do 1 and 1/2 cups each in largish sauce pan). Cook on high. Syrup with get really bubbly and go over if you don't watch it - then your quick dinner has nasty clean-up AVOID AT ALL COSTS. After bubbly stage, it turns more syrupy and bubbles slow and starts to thicken. You can add 1 teaspoon Mapline (extract found in baking isle) but we've eaten it without it for so long, we don't like it with it anymore.

If you've got left over ham in your freezer from Easter still, like I do... warm that up too. Quick little dinner, easy peasy lemon squeezy. HTH

J

jonjaktez

French Toast. You can google a "recipe" LOL or just mix about three eggs (more or less for your family size) with a fork until broken up and little frothy, add some milk. Mix again. Dip bread in mixture and cook in a hot skillet (sprayed with pam) on each side, until golden brown. Serve with left over apple pie filling with whip cream, fresh fruit, whatever... or pancake syrup.

Pancake syrup. Combine equal parts brown sugar, granulated sugar and water. (I do 1 and 1/2 cups each in largish sauce pan). Cook on high. Syrup with get really bubbly and go over if you don't watch it - then your quick dinner has nasty clean-up AVOID AT ALL COSTS. After bubbly stage, it turns more syrupy and bubbles slow and starts to thicken. You can add 1 teaspoon Mapline (extract found in baking isle) but we've eaten it without it for so long, we don't like it with it anymore.

If you've got left over ham in your freezer from Easter still, like I do... warm that up too. Quick little dinner, easy peasy lemon squeezy. HTH

Thanks but I know how to make French toast and I have plenty of syrup in my stockpile.

B

buddysmom

grilled cheese sandwiches - or any kind of sandwich grilled, toast