What can I do with a produce bag full of ready to use white mushrooms?

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Got a great produce markdown at the local fruit store....

What should I do with these today or tomorrow?

I want a tried and true recipe.
thanks

C

chitownmelli

from scratch cream of mushroom soup to either eat the way it is or to use in something like stroganoff?

As a side dish maybe? Sauteed with some onion and just a little fat like butter, oil or bacon drippings?

You could take that sauteed mess and put it inside of a baked potato.....

That's all I have, I don't really like mushrooms lol!

sbp

Mod Of The Month Aug. 2007
Trader Group
Stuffed mushrooms!!! YUM

I don't have a recipe though as I've never personally made them, but my SIL makes them and they are delish!!! The only ingredient I know for sure is crumbled bacon. I wanna say cream cheese, but don't quote me on that!!

ETA: I think this is what she uses for a recipe: Bacon and Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe #11041 @CDKitchen

but google for Stuffed Mushroom recipes, because you can stuff them with anything.... crab stuffed mushrooms sounds delish too.

couponsmakecents

Mod Of The Month June 2008 - Achieving Remission.
Trader Group
slice and saute with onions, bell peppers, and garlic and then freeze in 1 cup portions. Then throw in spaghetti sauce or any other recipe calling for these ingredeints the next time you need them.

You can also make vegetable stock and works really well if you have a pressure cooker. Fill the cooker to the fill line about 8 cups of water. Put in mushrooms, onions, carrots, celery, garlic salt and pepper. Follow directions for cooking. You can actually use the veggies for 2 rounds and then use the veggies in a soup.

I

isis

DH eats an egg omelet pretty much every morning for breakfast. Its 3 scrambled egg whites with a veggie mix I saute ahead of time & flash freeze on a cookie sheet, then break off and put in a container. When hubby wants eggs, I can scoop out about 1 cup and zap in the microwave to thaw before adding it to the eggs. anyway, its
1 container of chopped mushrooms, 1/2 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper and 1/2 bag spinich. Of course, you don't have to do all those veggies, sometimes I just sautee onions & mushrooms for our eggs.

Sauteed mushrooms are a great side to any meat dish, esp steak! Great on hamburgers and baked potatoes too. Beef Stew or Stroganoff. Add them to pasta sauce. Pizza..

Here's some addt'l info:

Best Freezing Method(s):

Dry Pack:

Pre-treat by blanching sliced mushrooms (1 pound at a time) for 3 minutes, or 5 minutes if whole. Cool promptly and drain. Transfer into suitable containers. Date, label and freeze.

Tray Pack:

Place clean mushrooms in a single layer on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Tray-freeze until firm. Once firm, transfer mushrooms to freezer bags or other suitable containers. Seal, label and freeze. The mushrooms will develop a rubbery texture freezing this way, but will still be suitable to use when cooking.
Steaming:

Before steaming, pre-treat mushrooms for 5 minutes by dipping them into an anti-darkening agent consisting of 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or 1 1/2 teaspoons of citric acid to a pint of water. After pre-treatment, steam whole mushrooms 5 minutes (buttons or quarter for 3 1/2 minutes; sliced for 3 minutes). Cool promptly and drain. Package leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal, label and freeze.

Frying/Sautéing:

Heat small amounts of mushrooms in butter in an uncovered frying pan. When almost done, set pan in a bath of cold water to cool, or remove mushrooms from pan and let them cool and room temperature. Pack in suitable containers leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal, label and freeze.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing mushrooms includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers or glass containers and heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Add frozen mushrooms directly into dishes while cooking.

N

notsyourbeezwax

I dehydrate them, and then vacuum seal in a mason jar until I need to throw them into a casserole or soup. If you cannot dry them (either in a dehydrator, the oven or outside on trays in dry climates), freezing would be the best way for you to go.

Mushroom soup is good, in fall, winter and spring, but I could not bear any kind of soup right now. :giggle2: The omelet sounds pretty good though!

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
DH eats an egg omelet pretty much every morning for breakfast. Its 3 scrambled egg whites with a veggie mix I saute ahead of time & flash freeze on a cookie sheet, then break off and put in a container. When hubby wants eggs, I can scoop out about 1 cup and zap in the microwave to thaw before adding it to the eggs. anyway, its
1 container of chopped mushrooms, 1/2 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper and 1/2 bag spinich. Of course, you don't have to do all those veggies, sometimes I just sautee onions & mushrooms for our eggs.
That ounds like what my DH eats every morning, just substitute ground beef and jalepenos for the mushrooms and spinac in is egg white omelet. I will cook them all up tomorrow as you suggest. I even have spinach in the freezer to throw in. thanks bunches for your helpfulness!:wavehi: