What Are Your Garden Plans and Pics of your Garden 2016

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by MsSweetCheeks, Apr 20, 2016.

Moderators: TiggerToo
  1. MsSweetCheeks

MsSweetCheeks Mod Of The Month March 2012<br>The Grand Theft <br Trader Group

If yall can't tell, I love taking pictures. :giggle2:

Yesterday evening I noticed my first crockneck squash and zucchini forming. This morning I noticed even more starting to form.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MsSweetCheeks

I'm using bamboo sticks.

3. MsSweetCheeks

I'm finding that my creole tomato plant is a darker green in color than my other tomato plants. It also hasn't really been growing much. My brandywine tomato plant started off way smaller then the creole and the brandywine has already passed it up. Any advice?

[​IMG]

4. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

@MsSweetCheeks How's your garden doing? I have some green tomatoes, the beans are still an inch long, but the basil is overtaking parts of the garden and I have to dry some soon. All my blueberries are gone. I got a small container in the freezer, but, believe it or not, my little baby steer (miniature zebu) loves to eat my blueberry bush leaves and dirt in the container. It needs to be repotted in the fall anyway.

My mom built a greenhouse, but my brother only has part of the roof on. He bought her some tomato plants from Lowe's and the plants are trying to escape out of the roof they are so big. Just a few tomatoes on them so far, though.

5. busyasabeecrg

busyasabeecrg Member Of The Month Nov. 2010 Trader Group

I am growing heirloom tomatoes and one of them is so tall and big, I call it my tomato TREE. If I can figure out how to post a photo here, you can see how big it is!

6. greenfrog57

greenfrog57 Mod Of The Month July 2011 Administrator Super Mod Trader Group

@mtka - I killed all the basil I tried to grow this year. But, my oregano plant went nuts this year!

We started a new garden area in the backyard and transformed the old side garden space for a potato experiment.

So far, we have had a ton of zucchini, kale, spinach, and pulled all the radishes (I think). We've pulled a few tomatoes and lots of sugar snap & snow peas. We had an experiment with spaghetti squash and it's going crazy! We have bunches of squash coming in and getting big. My tomato plants are so thick and tall that I will certainly have trouble harvesting.

7. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Has anyone heard from MsSweetCheeks lately? I hope she is okay.

The bugs successfully got all my cauliflower. I haven't even seen any bugs on them, just leaves disappearing.

Got our first mess of beans this week, they were pretty good. Now we are loaded. Anybody know the best freezing method? We don't can and I listened to some stupid facebook idea last year to just put the beans in the freezer in bags without blanching or cooking, they will taste great. NOPE!

We finally used up all the sweet potatoes from last year, ready for the new crop to harvest next month. Have a few regular potatoes as well, mostly from peels from store bought potatoes.

8. Amalgamate

Amalgamate Active Member Trader Group

I've blanched green beans and frozen them in the past. As long as they were young and fresh when blanching (not to the almost-shriveled stage), they turned out great. Had a texture similar to canned beans after they thawed and cooked.

My garden isn't liking the drought, but the mulch is certainly helping. Tomatoes are doing great, and I've been making salsa, marinara sauce, soup base, etc. Peppers, squash, and the herbs are all producing well. About half of the corn did well, and we just started picking watermelon. I plan to plant the first fall veggies in the next week or so.

9. doutsane

doutsane New Member

Well, that's nice! Veggies are good. I'm also planning to have it in our small farm. The only thing we have here at our backyard ( garden) are Lemon, Avocado and a Tamarind tree. As much as I would like to plant other veggies. I don't think it will be possible anymore because of the small garden lot that we have here. I'll probably do it in our farm.

10. MsSweetCheeks

Well, I started off decent with my garden this past spring/summer but then once it got hot I couldn't keep up. I have a hard time handling the heat.

I am starting to plant some seeds for Winter crops in 5 gallon buckets.

Then when it is time to do my spring/summer garden again, I'm just gonna stick to 5 gallon buckets. It's too much work with a big garden and buckets are easier to keep up.

I also want to buy some fruit trees and then this year I'm buying my herbs because I never do good planting them by seed.

Moderators: TiggerToo