What are you getting Cheap or FREE in September 2020?

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, Sep 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Dare I say it...115 days until Christmas? I realize I need to start planning a little earlier this year and this is weighing on my mind. Have you started any Christmas shopping and if you did, let us know of any bargains you came across.
    TJ Maxx and Kohl's are still trying to get rid of winter items from last year, so give it a look. The TJ Maxx by me is starting to yellow tag merchandise and that is the lowest they will go. Let's hope it can be had for a further discount!!!!
    Here are some articles about some good things to buy around this time of year. Labor Day is next week, so scout out your papers and online ads for any upcoming sales.
    https://www.dealnews.com/features/discounts/months/September/

If you shop online, here are some upcoming deals:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-personal-shopper/2020/08/28/best-sales-right-now/#228063f7244a

Let us know your finds and FREES ( I love FREE stuff). Post your plans about Christmas shopping (or any upcoming holiday). I look forward to reading your posts.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  2. jastwins

This morning I cashed out my SB for a $25 Children's place gc that I will use to buy a number of birthday gifts since this month is a busy one for me. (seven family birthdays and I forgot to include my dog, Rosie!!!) I do not buy a gift for everyone, but it is still a stretch. On SB, I used a 100 point incentive from a challenge in August and paid 2100 points for a $25 gc .

3. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

I find a few decent things here and there in the Kroger clearance bin with the "Woohoo" stickers on them. I do stockings for the family - all the grandskids and a few adults.
    Today I found dice and Unicorn themed playing cards for .50 and the snack pack size of candy for .29
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 5 others like this.
  4. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Today we got a 10 percent discount at the store across town. The ad almost put me to sleep this week. It wasn't the most exciting. However, I'm trying to get back in the habit of getting out of the house after COVID, so we made the trek.

Last month the sales were good enough that we built up enough rewards to cash out for a digital coupon for $7 off any meat purchase of $7 or more.

The store had roasts for $2.99 a pound and I cringed when we got there. They only had two small roasts in the case and I KNEW it was going to be close.

I asked for the larger of the two and when the kid behind the counter came around front to get it from the closest window he decided they didn't have the right roasts by the sale tag. He disappeared to the back with our roast to talk to the butcher and I wondered if they were going to try and get out of honoring the marked price.

I heard him tell the butcher there was only one left (that was after the one we were buying). As he weighed and packaged it he mentioned we got a really good deal, so I don't know exactly what cut we got. I did notice it didn't look like a traditional chuck roast. The one we got was VERY lean and was shaped more like an eye of round or tenderloin, but I don't know my meat cuts as I should.

Anyway, I heaved a sigh of relief when the weight came up on the scale. The roast came to $7.83. I didn't know if they'd take the 10 percent off before or after the $7 coupon, but at least I knew that either way the coupon would work.

It turned out they took the coupon off and then the 10 percent came off at the end. That meant the roast came down to 83 cents after coupon and the register took off another eight cents for a total of about 75 cents for a roast that was a little more than 2.6 pounds!

We also had a reward coupon for $2 off a bakery purchase. They had a couple bags of bakery cookies that retail for $3.99 on markdown for $1.99 each. After coupon and 10 percent discount we paid 89 cents for each of them.

On the way home we stopped at another store and bought Green Giant Steamers Vegetables -- on sale for $1.25. We bought two and the third was free with a digital coupon.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  5. Gardencook

Forgot to mention earlier that I had a digital coupon for $1/2 soups that was about to expire. I've held onto it hoping for a sale, but with only a couple days left I concluded one was not forthcoming.

Since soup coupons are so rare, I decided to use it on the more unusual soups that rarely go on sale. The store has cut its selection the past few years and the only one that really popped out was Cream of Asparagus at $1.79 a can. Since we'd get 50 cents off each can plus an additional 13 cent discount, I didn't think $1.16 each for two cans sounded too terrible.

Apparently, there was an unmarked sale, because after coupon the price rang in at 78 cents total for two cans. The extra discount took off another four cents each can, so we ended up getting Cream of Asparagus for 35 cents a can!

The store had a cart full of soup flavors -- including a lot of organics -- on markdown. Apparently, those are all varieties the store won't sell any longer. I'm afraid the reason we got a good price was that Cream of Asparagus is slated for the discount cart in the near future and the store won't carry it any longer. Perhaps they've already reduced it in the register, but haven't yet pulled it from the shelf. One more "choice" bites the dust. :(

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  6. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Bulbs....at Walmart...regularly $10 per bag...
    (Tulips,narcissus, hyacinth and crocus)
    the big bags that are 30ct, 35 ct , 16 ct and 40?ct)
    For ?!..... ....drumroll......
    $2.50 per bag!
    Let’s just say I got enough to play with ;):Do_O
    It was something I found on my Facebook feed . Then I did a brick seek search to see if there were any stores in my area participating and there was 1 in the area.

7. jastwins

I was able to get a free Secret aluminum free deodorant after b1g1 free coupon and 30% off CVS coupon. I also picked up b1 g1 free cvs gummy vitamins and used a $4 cvs coupon and $2 CVS health coupon for the second bottle.
    I would have purchased other items but they were nowhere to be found. No 24 packs of water and no cookies on sale and very little else from which to choose.
    Next I stopped at Kohls and I used a $5 kohls cash I received in a mailer and a $10 /$25 coupon on my app. After a quick search, i found 5 tops in the clearance section and I paid $19.88 with tax for everything.

8. jastwins

From Fetch, I chose a $5 Amazon gc and loaded it to my account.

Petco sent me an email for free 1 lb bag of dog treats from doggie treat bar in honor of Rosie's birthday this month.
    I moved $11.31 from Thred up to my paypal account and it helped me make my PP credit payment early.

9. jastwins

My job gave me a new Chromebook today and I am thrilled. Still have not turned in my old computer until I make sure the new one works. So far, so good, so I will turn in the old one tomorrow.

Sherri1480, Cathy, Gardencook and 2 others like this.
  10. jastwins

The school gave us free lunch and breakfast on the 3 days they made us come in and tomorrow will be the first day of school for students.
    Tonight, I ordered some clothes from The Children's place for my great niece. I used a $25 gc and paid $20 for 3 dresses and 2 skirts and shipping was free. I also ordered a space themed dress from Amazon and used a $5 gc to pay $11.99 and shipping was free with PRIME.
    In the mail,I received free samples of Persil and snuggle fabric softener.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  11. flowerkitty

I received free samples of Persil
    & 2 forms of snuggle in the mail today.

12. Gardencook

Got a free calendar today. It is a 2020 one and only has three months left, but it was free. :p

The discount grocery was offering them last week, but I didn't feel a great urgency to run over for one. Today they still had some left and I figured it might be good to have a small one by my chair since my computer is such a pain. Half the time I can't remember the date.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  13. Gardencook

Just noticed several posts I had missed this week. Apparently, there is a glitch in the system and I'm not getting notifications on many of the posts to the free thread this month, as well. I think it was the free thread I had problems getting notifications on last month, as well.

Redbox sent a free movie -- good Thursday only. We rented Robert the Bruce -- a movie we planned to see in the theaters when it was ready, but that was before COVID. Apparently, it went straight to video, because of the pandemic, but glad we got to see it.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  14. flowerkitty

I suppose it has something to do with my Target. There was Target advertisement on the enclosed brochure. I had received a sample in winter of tissues & disinfecting wipes.
    I have given up on the sample me site...never received the last sample I signed up for & now they want you to jump thru too many hoops.
    No thanks.

15. flowerkitty

Today I went to several Walgreens to check out the summer and back to school clearance.
    Supposedly it hit 90% off yesterday.
    (After seeing the you tubers scoring cartloads of stuff yesterday).
    At the first store I was able to score a pair of flip flops .59 & a trident gum sour flavor for .49.
    The monthly coupon book has a $1/2 coupon for the trident gum...but it did adjust for the one I purchased and I received it free!
    At the next store, I found a few more flip flops .59, some nicer ones for $1.49,an adult mask & snorkel set $1.49, 16 oz ice packs .29, reusable telescoping straw with case & cleaning brush $2.99 (only 50% off, but I liked the silicon tip w/ the rest of it metal...chipped my front tooth a few years ago on the metal one my husband had bought for me...had that fixed nicely at the dentist office).
    Highlights from the third store:
    Big Atlantis pens rang up .49 each,cutter insect repellent.54 ea,tank top.79, five star folders .27
    Store #4 was almost wiped clean.The compositon books were ringing .89 each- so I left them.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  16. jastwins

Today I ventured off island to get in a few stores and I realized it would be a challenge since it was the weekend and roads were congested. Stores and parking lots were more crowded than usual, so I eliminated some stores based on that. When you are cut off twice in a parking lot, I decided Walmart was not worth my time. This never used to deter me, but now I remember why I like to shop during the week and in the later afternoon.
    My first stop was at CVS since it was early and the first store I came upon this trip. This past Sunday, they were not well stocked so I did better this trip.
    I was using a $25 gc i bought through mygiftcards on Sb and since I was going to shop at cvs, I may as well get some points for purchasing a card.
    My purchase included 3 bags of Gillette disposable razors, on sale for $7.99 and you received $8 ecr for buying 3. I was able to use $5 off $20 razor purchase but was unable to use another $5/25 gillette coupon. I was able to use $2 off gillette twice and I think I forgot to give the cashier a third coupon. : (
    CVS had a great deal on Crest and an online $6 / 4 crest tp or mw. I also used $1/5 Mw and 5 $1 crest and scope coupons. You received $5 ecr for buying 4 crest toothpastes on sale for $2.99 and I did the limit of 2 deals, for $10 ecr back. Scope Mw was $3.99 get $2 ecr, limit 2. I picked up 3 Kinder bueno bars for the SB deal, but only 2 of them credited. CVS had a buy two get one free, so maybe the .00 price makes it look like I bought 2. I will send a ticket for that one. MY OOP ,using the $25 gc, was $11.04 including tax and I earned $22 in ecr back. Two crest tp and the Kinder bueno bar were free.
    I rolled the $22 ecr for my next order that included b1 g1 free on Nabisco cookies and crackers. I bought 8 boxes and got 4 free. Four ARizona iced teas were $2, Peets coffee was $5.99 and Green Mountain was $4.99, 2 Kleenex were $3, 4 orbit gums were $1.72 for 2 after .50 coupon and sale. Two boxes of Annies mac/cheese were free after sale and $3 /2 coupon from the red kiosk.
    Three candy bars were free after b2 g1 free coupon on my card and and I used 2 b1g1 coupons I had. I bought on sale 1 box of granola bars, 2 packs of baby wipes, 2 bags of chips, and 2 boxes of pop tarts. Some coupons on my card came up and after my $22 ecr, I paid $31.54 for 37 items.
    I still need to submit my receipt to FETCH and maybe Ibotta.

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  17. jastwins

My shopping trip continued with a stop at the Tanger outlets Gap store to use 2 $6 gcs I received in a settlement a few months ago. It took me over 40 mins to find something to buy and I was disappointed with the selection available. The best part about this store was that they allowed you to try on your clothes before you bought them.....this is the first store since the pandemic hit that allowed me to try on clothes!!! Good thing since the first 6 things I tried on would have been returned. I ended up with a comfy sleeveless top for sleeping and it fits great. My OOP was $3.18.
    I next went to Costco, (I joined last week) and paid $1.93 /gal for gas and filled up for $28. Aldi's was my next stop and I picked up some goat cheese with blueberries that d2 wanted, bananas, milk and frozen veggies. I also stopped in Big Lots and was happy to see it was not crowded at all. I found Minute Rice for $2 and took 2, Ghirardelli brownie mix for $2.25, 2 Knorr rice mixes for $1 each, 2 tortellini for $3.70 and Archway cookies for $2.50.

AFter getting lunch, I went to Target to use a $5 gc that a very generous person surprised me with. Target had the last 3 things I needed...2 boxes of Triscuits for $4 and some parmesan cheese. I bought Kraft and Market Pantry cheeses. In that aisle, they had Barilla pasta for $1 and I picked up 5 boxes since I was running low. A nice young girl checked me out in the middle of the store and it was the quickest and easiest trip of the day. My OOp with the $5 gc was $8.14 for 9 items!
    Near Target was a TJ Maxx , so I took a look. Not much report and I bought Barkeepers friend powder cleanser for $2.49 and I found a blouse for $3.50!

jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  18. Gardencook

We had a digital coupon good for $4 off four BIC stationery items. Checked the coupon carefully for qualifying items and then picked up three 10-packs of Cristal Pens and a bottle of Wite-Out.

Hadn't used Wite-Out in years -- especially since computers came along. I wished I had a bottle for something a few weeks ago so thought it would be handy -- even though I can no longer remember why I needed it. :p

The pens were 99 cents a pack and the Wite-Out was $1.49 -- which meant in theory we should have paid 45 cents OOP. Unfortunately, the coupon didn't work. She was helpful at the courtesy desk, so at least we got reimbursed for the coupon.

We could get six Snickers Bars for 39 cents each and three 75 cents/two coupons made them three cents total for every two bars.

Then we came home and signed up for KlowdTV. They have a package with nine channels which is free for the rest of 2020.

We have most of the channels on our television already, but it does have One America News which we didn't have and we can always use another news channel. ;)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  19. jastwins

I stopped at cvs today and used my carepass plus a mailer coupon, 6/$30.
    In my first order, I bought a 4 L'oreal conditioners 2 for $8, 2 jars of skippy 2 for $5, 3 packs of skintimate razors $5.99 on sale. I used my carepass, $10, $6/$30, .75 mfg coupon on skippy, .75 digital on skippy, $3 off skintimate razors twice, $3 mfg off Loreal twice plus $3 digital. I paid $8.24 OOP and got back $10 in ecr for Loreal and skintimate.
    The manager asked me if I wanted to join carepass and get $20 back. I told her I had and that was a better deal than I got. She said I could sign up again and use my other house phone number and email address. It is legal since I own 2 homes, so I got another card and received $20 off my next order. It seems they get a bonus for signing people up and i can cancel at any time.
    For my next order, I bought 2 boxes of Cascade powder dishwasher detergents, $10.49 each, b1 get 1 50%, 3 Renuzits, 3/$3, Hallmark card $4.59, Cvs baby powder, 2 Munchos chips marked $2 but rang up $2.29, candy covered nuts, golden emblem on clearance for $1.09.
    I used $20 care pass, 2 $1.50 coupons from SB for Cascade and 20% off cvs health for the powder .41 cents and I paid $11.29 with tax for 10 items and got back $1.50 for the renuzit purchase.
    At Petco, I used an email coupon to get Rosie a free 1 lb bag of treats and picked up 2 toys for her birthday on Friday. At King Kullen, I picked up some sale items. For free, I got a 3 pack of Sargento balanced breaks, b1g1 and I used a $1 coupon that was doubled. I bought both packs for $1.99. Eggo waffles were 2/$5 and so were Ore Ida frozen potatoes and I bought 3.
    I have to submit receipts to FETCH and P & G everyday.

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  20. Gardencook

Dropped by the grocery store when the farmers market wasn't open today.

Picked up a few items as well as some mega sale items. A digital body wash coupon I thought wasn't going to work ended up coming off. That meant I had to send DH over to get another bottle to use the B1G1 coupon I had in our stack.

It created more confusion when the B1G1 STILL didn't work. Apparently, it took the digital coupon off the one we HAD to buy to use the B1G1, but thankfully we had a good clerk and in the end three bottles of body wash were money makers.

Moderators: KimShaw