What are you getting Cheap or FREE in October 2021?

Gardencook

Trader Group
We ran across town on Monday to get a few items. The store offered us a free bag of popcorn which by itself wouldn't have been worth the trip. However, the store had a weekly sale on Tillamook yogurt for 39 cents. You could only buy 12 per transaction, but you could use the coupon once per day, so we picked up 24 yogurts for that price this week.

They also have a month-long coupon where we can get salt-free tomatoes for 59 cents per can -- limit four per transaction.

Campbell's also brought out a few salt-free soups and they offered me a personalized price of 84 cents per can. We thought we were buying six cans of cream of chicken and six of cream of mushroom, but apparently whoever stocked the shelves wasn't watching what they were doing. Even though I pulled six cans from the "cream of chicken" dispenser, the receipt said we bought nine cream of mushroom and three cream of chicken. When I checked my bags the receipt was correct, so apparently someone stuffed a bunch of mushroom soup in the chicken dispenser.

I was just glad they had some in stock, so figured we'd use the extra mushroom soup anyway and didn't raise a fuss. I generally like cream of chicken a little better than cream of mushroom, however. :rolleyes:

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
Tonight I ventured to CVS and I am happy to report most of my deals worked out well.
I really needed hair styling mousse and found the Tresseme in stock, on sale 2/$10 and I used a $4 mfg coupon. The L'oreal deal was 2 for $8, I had a $3 mfg coupon that included stylers, so I picked up 2 mousse products. This choice did not let me use a digital L'oreal coupon, but the mousse was a good deal.
Colgate had a great deal that gave you $5 extra bucks for buying 2 Max fresh toothpastes on sale for $3.99 each. I used 2 mfg coupons for $2/2 and my digital coupons attached as well , $2 and .50 cents. Recent weeks, I was able to get 2 free toothpastes with digital coupons, but this was not a bad deal for the extra bucks, $10 in total. I needed hair dye and they had Garnier Nutrisse on sale 2/$16, get $3 extra bucks. I used a $4 mfg coupon and a $2 digital coupon came off as well.
My total after coupons was $35.59 including tax and I had $30 in CVS gift cards. My OOP for 13 items was $5.59.
I asked an employee about the Monofoil D on sale for $9.99 and get $9 in extra bucks, and he told me they had it , but I checked twice and could not find it. When I asked my cashier for a raincheck, he told me "Oh , we have that downstairs" He talked to the manager who went to get it for me . I tried to use extra bucks but they would not apply so the lowered the price and I earned $9 extra bucks. MY OOP was $4.33.

My last purchase included bottled water, $3.69 plus deposit. Nature Valley cocoa almond butter cookies were on sale 3 for $6, get $1 ecr. I used .50 mfg coupon and a digital .50 cent coupon came off as well. Two wheat thins were 2/$6. Nature made vitamins (B12 ) were b1g1 (saved $11.29) and I used a $2 digital coupon.
I bought Gain liquid detergent and used $1 mfg coupon and $1 digital coupon. Tide simply detergent was $3.94 but my coupon would not work. It is disappointing to see the sizes of the bottles of liquid detergent (46 oz and 31 oz) getting smaller and smaller. :(
Three antibacterial soaps were .29 cents on clearance. Saw these on Facebook but not in my cvs until today
My OOP for this order was $8.02 and I used $25.70 in extra bucks. I plan on submitting my receipts to a few apps on my phone for credit.

On the way home I picked up free fries on my Mc Donals app. D2 is coming to visit so I had to go and buy her snacks at King Kullen. I used a $1 coupon on 3 balance bars ($1.69 each) and it doubled making them a $1 each. Glad I saved some money so I could spend it on her. LOL

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
I am finding quite a few items at different stores that are ringing up more than the shelf labels.
One example:
The dogfood I usually buy at Target rang up $4 higher than the shelf label. I mentioned it to the cashier & she adjusted the price for me.
That is a big difference.

I've seen a story somewhere recently that stores are raising the price on products in the cash registers BEFORE they are switching the shelf prices. I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I think it was a news source rather than just a vlogger. Anyway, I guess nothing should surprise me any longer, but the story seemed to say that customers couldn't do anything about it and should just pay the higher price rather than asking questions. Just another way to deceive shoppers if you ask me.

When did we all get to be "Karens" for daring to ask a perfectly legitimate question in a respectful manner? We've got friends named "Karen" and always wonder how they feel each time that term is thrown around these days.

Thankfully, we haven't seen much of that here so far. When we were on the Coast it did seem like a LOT more digital coupons weren't crediting than what we have problems with here, however. It seemed like we had to make a trip to the customer service desk each time we purchased groceries -- and it was usually over a matter of several dollars we were overcharged, not just a few cents.

They were good about refunding the money at the customer service desks -- at least four or five different stores -- but you've always got the impatient ones behind you in line, it seems.

At one store we stood in line for a LONG time waiting on a young woman who was having some sort of problem with a money transfer like Western Union. Not sure exactly what the problem was, but we were patient about it despite the fact we needed to get on the road. However, after we'd stood in line for at least five minutes, a fellow came up and after only standing behind us less than a minute asked in an angry tone, "Is what you are doing going to take a LONG time?" It was obvious he was trying to bully us into telling him he was welcome to go ahead of us -- despite the fact we'd been waiting a LOT longer than he had.

I simply said, "I don't have any idea how long it will take." That was actually a truthful answer.

He got angry and stormed out of the store which was his loss. The gal in front of us finally got done less than a minute later and the customer service desk probably only took a minute or two refunding our money despite the fact we'd been charged $1.99 a pound for grapes for which we had a digital coupon promising 99 cents, and a $2 digital coupon on another product we purchased didn't credit at all.

It pays to watch your receipts!

I've got to start watching the stocking a lot more carefully, as well. It seems like the stockers are putting things in the wrong place a LOT more often and it isn't cases where they are stretching things out to make the shelves look fuller. We've ended up with products we didn't want two weeks in a row due to full shelves and carelessness on the part of stockers.

jastwins

Trader Group
On Monday, after waiting for my last square to credit, I was able to submit my full swago board for 300 points. By doing the entire board, I earned a 490 point credit when I purchase my next $5 gc. My $5 amazon gc is already on my account and it only cost me 10 points!

AS a member of the Tilla troop community, I participated in a 13 part survey on club shopping for cheese procducts. The credit on this will be $150 and I will use that for Christmas shopping. Due to some glitches, they extended the participation window a couple of more days and I completed mine yesterday. I will keep you posted when this is available. So happy to be part of this project. It means alot to me to have some of my Christmas shopping done early and have it paid for in full.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Got a "free" 1.5 quart Toastmaster slow cooker today at Kohl's. We had $10 in Kohl's cash from DH's coat purchase a little more than a week ago. They've got a lowest price of the season sale going with some really good prices, but most were items we didn't need. I took a lap around the store and didn't see anything else that appealed to me. While I was doing that, DH was waiting in line at the customer service desk to get back the money from the flannel shirt that didn't fit which we got the same day as the coat.

I'd checked the website when the sale started yesterday and noticed the slow cooker was on sale for $9.99 -- so we only paid tax after Kohl's cash. It was kind of hard to come up with something better than a free shiny new slow cooker instead of an old, used one. I've been looking for a small one at thrift stores for quite a while, but every time I find one that is about the right size, it is usually "well-used" and thrift store prices have gotten so high that they are usually around $8. I just haven't been able to see that they were worth the price.

We've been eating steel cut oats for breakfast most mornings and mixing in things like almonds, flax, pumpkin seeds and dried fruit if we don't have fresh fruit for the top. It isn't that cooking oatmeal takes all that long, but I just thought it might be easy to stick everything in the pot early in the morning and come back a few hours later.

We were supposed to be able to pick up a free 80-pack of hand sanitizer wipes, but the store we checked in the other city didn't have any. :(

flowerkitty

Super Swapper
Trader Group
I stopped at the Dollar Tree yesterday.
I was surprised at all of the empty shelves. I’ve read several things about the lack of merchandise...is it the merchandise is on ships anchored off the coast? or are they selling the stores down in anticipation of the price increases coming January 1st?.
Or not enough help to stock the shelves?
I was happy to find waxed paper, parchment paper, coffee filters, tissues and a few artificial flowers for Xmas cemetery arrangements. The choices were slim.

jastwins

Trader Group
I received another small settlement claim via paypal in the amount of $3.40 and $2 from coupons.com after I submitted a receipt from my recent shopping trip.
Payday was today and I paid a few bills online so no stamps needed. I need to mail out one doctor's bill for D3 and mail out D2's cobra pmt. I have the stamps I need for that.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Today we picked up a free DVD at Big Lots before heading to one of our regular grocery stores where we had a $5 OYNO Catalina coupon. I should have used it on all the paper products we bought the other day, but forgot. I was afraid it was going to get away from me and expire before I remembered it.

Today we found three heads of green cauliflower -- what used to be called "broccoflower" -- and a bag of Mandarin oranges all on markdown for 99 cents each. Since that only brought us to about $4, we picked up two cartons of Chobani Complete yogurt on markdown for 59 cents each. After coupon we paid 14 cents tax for all six items and earned 14 fuel points in the process -- that store gives you five fuel points for every reusable bag you bring in and the double points on "fresh items" coupon that vanished off our cards and didn't credit for the first week and a half FINALLY started working. :rolleyes: If they don't get those registers crediting properly SOON I'm going to end up shopping a LOT less. Such confusion!!!

Last edited:

M_Lexx

Trader Group
I got my 'fix' today with paper towels in Food Lion: 3 @ $5.19/6-roll pack (we get the plain white ones that are ~16-20 sheets higher count than the ones with 'fancy' or 'inspirational' prints), personal Q of $1.75/$10> of Georgia Pacific Products and 2 $1.50/6 roll or higher Sparkle paper towels and $3 on Shop & Earn, the whole deal earned me another $3 on S&E.

Gardencook

Trader Group
DH was running errands this afternoon, so I had him stop to try again for our free 80-pack of sanitizing hand wipes with digital coupon. Thankfully our store had them in stock so we got one.

jastwins

Trader Group
From receipt hog, I cashed out for $5 to my paypal account. The viewpoints app sent me 2 tasks to complete and will send me $5 paypal by next week since I reached the point threshhold. AFter my shopping trip tonight, I will be able to cash out on receipt pal ( currently 1995 points out of 2000 :oops:) after my receipts are loaded. The 1 Q app sent me $3.25 so far this month.

jastwins

Trader Group
By using my Amazon credits, I ordered a 3 pack of Starbucks coffee and paid in full $27.74 this year as opposed to the $18.62 I paid last year. Yes, everything keeps going up. I will use the coffee for a Christmas gift. When I get more gcs, I plan on sending this as Christmas gifts to relatives since they were very happy to receive it last year.

jastwins

Trader Group
On Checkout 51, they offered .40 for chocolate bars and $1.20 for tealights and $1.20 for purchasing fresh pumpkins (last night of that deal). I did 2 out of 3 deals. In cvs I bought 2 Hershey bars, 2 for $2 and got back .40 cents. In Dollar Tree, I bought Pumpkin chai latte tealights for $1 and got $1.20 back, so it was a .20 cents money maker. I also submitted that receipt to Ibotta and received .20 cents for any receipt. Also at Dollar trees were the cheetos mac and cheese. If you have a coupon for $1 off that will be free.
At CVS, I bought the candy bars, 2 Colgate Max Fresh toothpastes, free with $7.98 off 2 colgate digital coupon and Suave mousse Suave hairspray were 2 for $6, get back $3 ecr. I used $4.11 in extrabucks and paid $5 with tax included. I used the $3 in extra bucks to get 2 bags of Halloween candy (snickers and twix) that were b1g1 free, (saved $5.49) Polar raspberry pink lemonade was $4.99 and I was able to use 32 % and 30 % that took off another $1.86 so my OOP was $6.79.
A new Aldi's opened up by my old house and I used a $5 mailer coupon on my order. I bought one pack of pork cutlets, fruit, veggies, snacks, milk and other dairy items and paid $50.87 OOP for 39 items.
I also purchased gas at the reservation for $3.09 a gallon and spent $37.62 for 12 gallons. OUch. it barely filled up my tank.