What are you getting Cheap or FREE in October 2021?

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
It is officially Fall and I am enjoying the cooler weather today. In the stores, I am seeing shortages, empty shelves and higher prices. Supply chains are being disrupted by the lack of workers to offload ships (stranded waiting for a port) and transport the merchandise to stores. This will lead to leaner choices for Christmas and higher prices for the things we want to buy.
What are your ideas for holiday shopping? Do you wait for Black Friday sales or CyberMonday or do you buy ahead of time? Here are some ideas for what to buy every month of the year. https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/what-to-buy-every-month

Wherever you find your sales and deals, please post them here. We welcome your ideas and your finds. Happy shopping!!

M_Lexx

Trader Group
Since it's the first of the month I cashed out the $25 for $22 Walmart @Swagbucks and scanned a few items at home worth roughly $0.30 the disappointment being those scanned Swagbucks don't count towards the daily goal. I reached the $25 level @ReceiptHog and cashed it for Amazon and am a few receipts away for the same denomination @Fetch Rewards and MyPoints. Amazon balance will go to this month's Subscribe&Save items with hopefully something left for the December orders. I'm determined to cash out as soon as I can since with prices going up I doubt the incentive programs will be far behind.

jastwins

Trader Group
The Amazon Shoppers panel credited me $10.25 in amazon gcs from last month and I uploaded my receipts for this month already. I check the app every other day to see if any small surveys pop up. This app is the easiest $10 in gcs I get each month.

This morning, I went to the bank to get free coin wrappers and rolled coin I found under D2's bed. It will pay her share of the cobra payment for October.
On Receipt pal, I linked my Starbucks account and received 500 points. This put me over 2000 points and I was able to cash out for a $5 Amazon gift card.

Last edited:

flowerkitty

Super Swapper
Trader Group
@jastwins - the news reports are urging people to start their holiday shopping early because of anticipated shortages.
We used to go Black Friday shopping before the pandemic.
Last year I picked up a few items from the stores early because of the extended sales & ordered some things online.
I was glad I ordered early. The closer it got to the holidays, the slower shipping got.

flowerkitty

Super Swapper
Trader Group
I have started my shopping early this year. I really don’t need to buy anything more for my granddaughter. I should be finished with her now.
I have lots for my daughter already too. Still looking for inspiration for my DH & my mother.
I don’t have any desire to be in crowded stores.
I have found a lot of the stores have reduced their hours due to staffing shortages & the hour before they close seems to be a good (uncrowded ) time to shop.

M_Lexx

Trader Group
@jastwins, thank you so much for introducing us to the Amazon Shopper panel, that was the easiest $10.25 I'd earned (the only drawback being they don't offer referral links otherwise I would have gone through yours for sure)!

Finished shawl #7, well the one in particular style anyway, will start the Christmas stocking order tomorrow and hopefully will get it done by either Friday or next Monday and that would be $35, granted a very deep discount (Etsy sellers have similar ones starting at $70+ but the particular customers have been loyal customers for 7 years and the least I could do is return the favor), then off to the next order that requires a few episodes of sofa candy and I'll be done with the orders for this year.

Found a crimpled up receipt in the Walmart cart when I grabbed it and cleaned it with a sanitizer. That sucker brought me [email protected] Fetch Rewards, [email protected] iBotta, [email protected] and [email protected] Swagbucks aside from the usual $.02 at the usual incentive apps, and a dime in the change cradle and a quarter on the floor, I felt like I won some bizarre receipt lottery. The cashier at Food Lion gave me a couple of yards of store-specific catalinas that the previous customers did not care to take and I am going to use most of them. Cashed out Fetch Rewards for a $25 Amazon gift card, got money back on the yarn that rang at the wrong price at Walmart so it's a +?

M_Lexx

Trader Group
@flowerkitty As as I'm concerned I didn't have a referral or a link, hence the lament of not having a referral link, all I did was look up the app and my tablet (Android OS if it helps or matters) filled in the rest and I took pics of my latest 15 grocery receipts and I went a little overboard as far as filing the receipts. Not entirely sure yet but I'm willing to give it a chance for at least now since I felt the same about Fetch Rewards, Receipt Pal, etc. and those paid off.

Disclaimer: as always experiences may vary.

jastwins

Trader Group
@flowerkitty , Amazon sent me an email and that was the only way I was able to sign up and download the app n Not sure is it has anything to do with being a prime member. It was mentioned by another HCW member last year.

just try the AppStore and see if you can download it like @M_Lexx did. You signup with your Amazon email
Glad it works for you and great deals on that receipt @M_Lexx

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
We traveled over to the Oregon Coast so I haven't been posting much. That doesn't mean we haven't gotten a few deals, it is just they were more out of the ordinary finds that fit with our travel needs rather than basics we buy back home.

We don't have Safeway here. That chain deserted our region well over three decades ago. Then Safeway tried to buy Albertsons which didn't work out and finally Albertsons bought Safeway, but it seems to be a repeat of what happened when Kmart bought Sears and then the Sears executives ruined Kmart AND Sears. Safeway has much better deals when we head toward the coast then we ever see over this direction. We'd probably shop at Albertsons a lot more if we got some of the deals they get over that direction.

Best customers over there get coupons for $1 off your choice in certain departments such as frozen foods, boxed cereal, produce, bakery and organic items. Those coupons aren't offered here unless we want to spend about 100 fuel points to get them. Because the stores are now jointly owned, we automatically got them when we switched our store locations.

The coupons varied from one week to the next but we got frozen vegetables for free or 25 cents a bag a few times, salt-free organic beans for 50 cents and organic low sodium beef broth for one dollar a couple times. Picked up rainbow baby carrots for 99 cents a couple times and got one dollar off broccoli sprouts another and a couple boxes of house brand shredded wheat for one dollar each among other things.

They also had B1G1 stir-fry kits when we first got into Safeway territory. Unfortunately, it was the last night of the sale by the time we got there, but the two coconut curry kits that were left were tasty.

Safeway also seems to offer a really great loss leader digital coupon each week which we rarely see over this direction. One week we got a bag of Mandarin oranges for $1.47 another week we got four Marie Callender's or Healthy Choice meals for 47 cents each.

In addition to those coupons, the stores over there seem to offer a lot more free items with digital coupons -- something we rarely see over this direction. The week we were traveling over they were giving away a free tub of hummus which we REALLY wanted, unfortunately, we didn't make it into Safeway territory until the day AFTER the coupon expired. The next week they offered us a free two-pack of lip balm, which we picked up although we weren't desperate simply because we were grocery shopping there anyway.

They also offered us free hand sanitizer bottles and wipes, but I couldn't find them in stock on the shelves and didn't really have time to ask if they were substituting like our store was doing on the same items here.

Safeway also offers a few double coupons -- up to 50 cents -- each week, but I didn't have any 50 cent coupons on items we needed for our trip so couldn't use them.

We stopped at a couple discount grocery stores we were passing on the way over. They were quite small and didn't have a huge selection, but I'm kicking myself for not buying more of the item that was a much bigger find than I realized at the time. They had some small packages of frozen, boneless chicken thigh meat and also packages of drumsticks for 50 cents each. You got four thighs in a package and about five or six drumsticks.

For that price I was afraid they were some off brand that would be really fatty and pumped full of water so I debated about buying them at all. Then I decided the thighs were just about the perfect size for the two of us for one meal and bought two packages.

Once we got on the road, I decided I probably hadn't bought enough so when we hit a second sister store we were passing I bought two more packages. However, living out of coolers isn't the ideal time to stock up on meat so I was afraid to buy more.

It wasn't until we got to the motel room that night that I examined the packages closer, saw the Blue Apron logo and realized they were actually high quality meat like you would get when you ordered meals.

Unfortunately, we were taking a slightly different route home and weren't going anywhere near the stores again so couldn't stop for more.

We drove down to Brookings, Oregon one day -- just at the southern end of Oregon before the California border. The windshield was a MESS from salt water in the air and we were driving into the sun back to our rental close to sunset. DH tried cleaning the windshield when he filled the gas tank, but the windshield needed something stronger to be safe.

I ran into the store while he was pumping gas to see if I could find any deals and happened upon a bottle of Nine Elements cleaner on markdown for $2.49. We had a two dollar digital coupon loaded to our card so I bit -- hoping the coupon would work, and it did.

I had an expired grocery ad on the floor by my feet. I considered tossing it, but newspaper sometimes comes in handy on the road, so I couldn't bring myself to do it. I was glad we still had it, because the cleaner plus the newsprint did a beautiful job on the windshield -- especially when it only cost us 49 cents.

We also had in insert coupon on the same cleaner, so for 49 cents we got a second bottle of cleaner as well.

At one of the Grocery Outlets that day we happened upon some small snack packages of Colby-Jack cheese cubes marked down to 10/$1. They only had seven packages left, but they made a handy snack at various times on the road.

Another store that day had half-gallons of unsweetened almond milk on markdown for four for 97 cents! It was close to pull-date and due to space I could only get two (for less than 50 cents total), but it took us through most of the rest of our trip. We finished the second carton off the day we left Coos Bay. It hurt to pass on our second 99 cent oat milk carton we could have gotten with coupon on mega sale, but you can only carry so much back home with you! :eek:

On the way home one of the Grocery Outlets had some Sabra taco dip snacks for kids on markdown at two boxes for 97 cents. Basically, the taco dip amounted to taco flavored hummus in a small cup with some rolled tortilla chips on the side for dipping. You got three packs in a box, so for 97 cents we got six individual taco dip snacks for the road.

Last edited:

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
I have a load of credit cards. This does not mean I am rich, it means that each card gives me a different advantage.

I have one card from Schwab. Its advantages are that it never charges an ATM fee, no matter where in the world I am.
I have two credit cards from Bank of America. One only gives me points for travel purchases, and I don't use it very much, but it is free so I keep it as a back up in case I lose the other BoA card. The second card costs me $95 per year, but I got a $500 bonus when I signed up for it, and it gives me a credit of between 1.5% and 2% on every purchase that I make, which means that I get at least the $95 back every three months. It also has no forex charges, which is very important for me as almost all my purchases are made overseas.

I have three Israeli cards. They are from three different banks and two of them are absolutely necessary. Those two cost me $2.47 each per month (one gives me different discounts each month and always gets me an 8% discount on my annual car insurance). The third card, I never use and the only bill is an automatic payment for my cable TV. I didn't bother cancelling it when I got the one giving me the discounts. Yesterday, however, I received a notice that the price of the card is now $4.95 per month and I can't see any reason to pay that for a card that I don't use. I called my cable company today, had them switch my monthly bill to the other card, and then cancelled this one.

jastwins

Trader Group
Yesterday, I had a doctor's appointment off island and made a couple of stops. Note to self---do not plan off island trips the day before payday!!!
I could not get everything I wanted but did get some deals. At ShopRite, I bought Silk yogurt on sale $1 each and I have a .75 cent coupon that doubled so I paid .50 cents for 2. Three Pantene shampoo condtioners were on sale 3/$7 with a digtial coupon and I used a $5 /3 mfg coupon that came off without a hitch. It ended up being 3 for $2.
I bought 4 bags of frozen veggies at .99 cents a bag and 2 Healthy choice dinners at $1.99 each as was a box of eggo waffles. My total for everything was $13.03 OOP for 12 items. On Saturday, I plan to drive by the same store on my way to the city. I may pick up the on sale paper towels and toilet paper since I did not get them yesterday. Shortages are on the horizon and I will be stocking up when I can.

Kohls sent me a $5 reward and I stopped by to see if by chance there was anything good on the clearance rack. I found jeans in my size and tried on a few pairs. The selection of shirts was drab and dull so I passed. I used a 15% coupon and $5 reward to pay $2.72 for a pair of Sonoma boot cut jeans. I have not had this style in a while and even though they were an 18S the were good enough and long enough for me. The size 16 was too short on me but they did fit.

Across from the Kohls shopping center was a T Mobile store and I went in to get the protective cover on my phone changed. They did not have it in stock and ordered it for me. I will bring it back so they can replace it. When I got the Iphone 11, we paid $25 to replace the screen protector for free for as long as I own the phone.

AT CVS, I went in hoping to return some items from last week, but after explaining what happened the cashier gave me the $10 extra bucks. I used them plus $3 extra bucks and found clearance snacks. HIgh on a top shelf were two packs of chips ahoy cookies that were $1.45 each and 1 pack of Oreos were $1.47. Small cannisters of Planters Cheese balls were .25 on clearance and I took 10. None of these were marked as clearnce, and had to scan them to check the price. On Facebook, numerous items are on clearance but I can never find the deals these people get in other states. Luckily, I remembered the pics and decided to check. I purchased Pepperidge farm gold fish bags 2/$4 and Kelloggs pop tarts at $1.99 each.
My OOP after all my extra bucks on my card plus what I got from the cashier was .79 cents!!!

I still had $3 extrabucks I was saving but my 95 year old neighbor asked me to pick up 2% milk for her so I used the $3 extrabucks and bought myself king size payday bar and the quart of milk for a $1.

flowerkitty

Super Swapper
Trader Group
Dollar General stores this Friday-Sat -Sunday 50-70% off clearance items.
I visited 4 stores today...3 were 70% off clearance
& the forth was 50% off with 70% off lawn & garden.
Some hi-lights: Campbell’s soup .46
Progresso soup .60 & .52
Talking baby doll: $2.28
Nestle baking cocoa .67
Spring ceramic coasters .22
Suave hand soap .45
Empty hanging basket .18

M_Lexx

Trader Group
I got $0 in expense but about more than a few zillion -$ in emotions, allow me to explain, back in the day the synthetic gems were so 'in' that that 14K rose gold over silver gets sold for a few hundred $. It made my day to see the same ring over and over again that I remembered to call my cousin and ask what the [email protected] had happened to the family heirlooms and get the answer 'you were already in the States so what the [email protected] do you care?' Seriously? Some gold and silver coins from the 1500 and 1600s and, the 3K ruby (real one) ring my grandfather bought for my grandmother for their 40-year anniversary that was supposed to go to me?

I'll put it it the way the elders did back in the day, May G-d bless them and the rest of them, I am happy where I am. I really am!

Gardencook

Trader Group
Forgot to mention a deal we got at the very beginning of our trip -- which was actually the very end of September.

One of the first grocery store stops had an overload of butter and was selling it out at $1.50 a pound. We hadn't brought any with us, so we bought one and we only used a little more than one quarter on our trip -- mostly for garlic bread. DH has been using hummus instead of butter, or even eating toast dry in recent weeks.

We picked up three containers of pine nut hummus on markdown for 97 cents on the way home, so he's okay on that front for a while.

Then I stumbled on a clearance area in the first store and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw four bags of Delallo organic whole wheat bow tie pasta on markdown for 25 cents a bag. I was trying so hard NOT to drag too much home, but how could I pass on a deal like that?

They also had the large 25 oz. bottles of Safeguard hand soap on markdown for $1.99 and we had a 50 cent digital coupon that worked bringing it down to $1.49. I suspected our rental house wouldn't supply enough soap to last our entire stay and was correct, however, we ended up getting Suave body wash for 19 cents a bottle, so just used one of those for hand soap instead.

We ended up needing it at the one motel on the way home, as well. There was a snafu on our reservation and we were thankful to find a mom/pop motel with full kitchen for the weekend on short notice. The first thing I noticed was that the hand soap dispenser was nearly empty. The owners were nice and would have taken care of it, but DH was tired and when I mentioned we still had a little body wash left in the one bottle we had opened, he preferred that.

The rental house also didn't come with enough toilet paper, but we found a four-pack of mega roll tissue for $2.99 and brought half the package home with us, so really only spent less than $2 extra on supplies -- much better than expected and a small price to pay for a full kitchen complete with dishwasher and a washer and dryer in the utility room. The house had enough dishwasher detergent and laundry detergent, so didn't have to buy that.

Last edited:

jastwins

Trader Group
On Saturday, I drove into NYC to visit D1 and attend her free Rugby game. On my way, I filled up at the reservation gas station for $2.89 a gallon for regular. There was a bbq after the game with free food and drinks brought by team members. I had never visited Randall's Island and was able to enjoy some cooler weather and it did not rain. We later went to another borough, Queens, for a sushi dinner (more than I wanted to spend but d1 loves sushi) & at least I was able to get free parking on the street nearby that restaurant. When I arrived in NYC,that morning, there were no parking spots for my SUV and I pulled into a small parking garage that only cost me $10, best money I spent all weekend.

I spent the night at my mom's and my sister was staying over since she was working that night. The next morning we all went to church and my sister treated us to breakfast at Perkins. My mom let me pick out some tools from my late dad and I am making my own little tool kit.

On the way home, I stopped by Staples and used a $5 reward that was to expire later this month. I found a box of a dozen RED pens for .46 cents and bought 2 rolls of 3 M scotch brand packing tape on sale for $2.99. With the $5 reward, I paid $1.56 OOP for the 3 items.

jastwins

Trader Group
I used a digital coupon on my cvs app to get 2 more free Colgate Max Fresh toothpastes. Kellogg’s nut bars were B1g1 so I saved $4.79.

I stopped in Walgreens to get 3 mentos clean breath mint pack, 30 ct. Checkout 51 was giving .75 cents for each one & I paid $4.76 for 3. When I entered my receipt on ck out 51 I earned $2.25 and was able to cash out $20.31 to my pay pal account.

mrsbettygreen

Trader Group
always great deals at kohl's :):):)

went winter shopping at kohl's last firday....
winter shoes $59.99 paid $40.58
winter sweatshirt $26 paid $13.99
2nd winter sweatshirt $26 paid $14
winter tunic $30 paid $9.45
2nd winter tunic $30 paid $9.45
winter jacket $40 paid $8.40

plus i got $10 kohl's cash + i will be nice and warm this winter

jastwins

Trader Group
From a milk settlement claim, I was awarded $7.51 in Amazon gcs.

On Paidviewpoint, you can cash out at the $5 level so I cashed out for $5.32. (amazon, paypal and walmart)

I have been with Paidviewpoint a few years and it is easy and you are rarely disqualified from a survey. However, if they reach a quota, you are not awarded the full amount. The cashout level used to be $15 but that was changed and I just cashed out at $5. Worth a try if you have the time.

My referral link is : https://paidviewpoint.com/?r=5zzj46

Can be done on a computer or your phone.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Picked up a free half gallon of unsweetened oat milk today using a digital best customer coupon.

While we there I noticed a deal in the produce department. The three-pound bags of onions that were almost two dollars a bag last week were marked with a shelf price of 69 cents.