What are you getting Cheap or FREE in October 2020?

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, Oct 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

This past week, my neighbor gave me her newspapers and that means some extra coupons. I use the newspapers to help light a fire in my fireplace. While at her house, she gave me some sourdough bread she bought but did not eat and a delicious danish from a well known bakery that I love. I reheated the great bread and Crankie and I had it with the chili I made last night.

Cathy, Jorainna, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Made a quick run to the store tonight to use a couple coupons that were expiring. They were mega sale items, so we had to purchase additional items to get to the five required and by the time we bought those I figured we might as well push on to the $30 level required for a promotion.

All that to get a 28-ounce bottle of shampoo for 49 cents and a large bottle of mouthwash for $2.99! I honestly considered letting the coupons expire, but we had enough other decent deals with later expiring coupons I figured it was worth the trip.

We got Quorn Patties for $1.49 a box after mega sale and coupon and Skippy Peanut butter as well as Bugles Snacks for a little over $1 each. We also had a personalized coupon that got us a bag of shredded cheese for $1.49 -- not free, but definitely worth purchasing. ;)

3. Gardencook

Trying to get back in the swing of things since we got home -- and it isn't easy.

However, I did look through a pile of Cat coupons that had printed out at the register and realized I had one for $1.25 on one Quaker Oats product. We just bought a bunch of old fashioned oats at the discount grocery a few weeks ago, so didn't need them. However, instant oatmeal was $1.49 on the mega sale that ended today, so we were able to pick up a box for 24 cents after coupon.

4. jastwins

I forgot to post my finds at yard sales this month. At one, I found a wireless charger for my iphone and an Apple charger stand for $5. While at another yard sale, I picked up up (2) 18/8 stainless steel cooking utensils....a whisk and spatula. Both were $5.
    It has cooled down at night and we are burning our free firewood in the fireplace.
    Tomorrow, I plan on going food shopping and hope to post more deals.

jcdamomma, Cathy, flowerkitty and 3 others like this.
  5. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Kroger had the M&M Fudge Brownie candy Sharing Size priced at .90 I had the blinkie coupons for $1 off two which made them .40 a bag. Perfect for the grandkid's goody bags I am making. :)

jcdamomma, Cathy, flowerkitty and 2 others like this.
  6. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

I went to the grocery store today. They were offering a $50 Lowe’s gift card for $40 with a coupon in the app.
    There were a few other places to choose from.
    They have started offering deals on gift cards again...

7. jastwins

Not the best night of shopping. Maybe stubbing my little toe this morning and possibly breaking it should have been a sign. I will see how it feels tomorrow.

Walmart was not great due to an issue with Walmart pay, a cashier who had no clue and the service desk clerk that was an idiot. At the register, my walmart pay would not work since it was asking for a the code on my card. When I input the code, It kept giving me an error message. In the end, I paid $50.21 OOP when $48 of that amount should have been covered by gift cards. Rude clerk told me to call the walmart 800 number and when I tried to get him to take a coupon off my dog food purchase he claimed it was already taken off ...he saw another coupon for the same amount off some shampoo but the deducted coupon appears under the item and I told him the cashier had trouble with it and lied about taking it off. In the end I returned the dog food but he gave me back the exact price and not the tax. Walmart will get a phone call tomorrow.
    Cvs was the only store where things went right. I had $30 in gcs and $5 ecr to spend. I opted for b1g1 vitamins and bought 6 bottles and 3 were free. I picked up some Lipton tea 2/$6, 3 boxes of granola bars on sale, cookies were b1g1, so 2 were free, and I bought 2 Cover girl lash blast mascaras that were packaged with an eyeliner pencil. Covergirl was on sale 2 for $14 and I used 2 $3 coupons and I got back $7 ecr. After my $30 gc and $5 ecr, $6 off $30 vitamins cvs q and $2/$8 breakfast cvs q, I used my SBkc visa gc to pay for the balance of $15.65.
    I received $7 ecr and used that to buy JTB water 24 pk and candy was b1 g1 so I chose 1 Snickers and 1 Hersheys for $5.49. I paid $3.46 OOP with tax and bottle dep and used my visa gc to cover the cost. Also at CVS, the cashier gave me a giftbag with wellness items, 10 samples and a booklet of cvs coupons.
    On my way to ShopRite, I realized I took the wrong envelope and left home my coupons for this store. Since most of the deals were digital coupons, I picked up those and did well. I paid $44 oop for 37 items. Some deals included (2)Purex 50 oz Laundry detergents for $3 and i bought 4 for $6.
    4 Quaker cerals and oatmeals were $1 each if you bought 4. Capatriti Olive oil 16 oz were on special 2/$3, Redpack tomato puree , 28 oz was .88 cents and I took 4, Birdseye frozen veggies were $1 each if you bought 4. Gold Medal flour was $1.88 and Sugar was $1.74. Prego was $1.49 and I took 2. STore brand seltzer was 6/$3 and Coke and diet coke 2 liters were 4/$4.
    On the way home, I used a coupon at MCd and got a free drink and fries when i bought a sandwich for D2.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  8. Gardencook

Lunch today was Taco Bell. We got free Doritos Locos Tacos and free senior drinks to go with our other items.

Taco Bell definitely isn't as much fun since they eliminated all the items I liked off the menu -- for the second or third time.

What does Taco Bell have against Tostadas, anyway? Our Taco Bell got rid of them years ago -- while they were still on the national menu. Then they eventually eliminated them nationally and then brought them back by popular demand. Now they are gone again. :(

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  9. jastwins

From Ibotta, I was able to get $1.50 for my Persil purchase and from Shoprite, .50 cents from Ckout 51 for my Redpack purchase.
    After talking to the Walmart people, I had to delete my card and add it back..

It seems I had my right card and wrong epxiration date on my Walmart pay account. I know I changed it but it seems they have had issues lately and I did not notice the wrong expiration date at the store. Only wish I was given instructions to delete and add. I left a complaint with the Walmart rep on the front desk guy and they will speak to him.
    So I still have $48 in gift cards to spend! Not looking forward to going back there anytime soon. : (

jcdamomma, flowerkitty and Gardencook like this.
  10. Gardencook

Many Wednesdays our discount grocery offers a drawing based on purchases we make that day -- one entry for each $5 in purchases we make. Since they had the deal on vitamins yesterday and had a lot of whole grain products in, we got quite a few tickets this week, but we always fill in the tickets and until now have never won.

Then this morning we got a call that we had won the Bluetooth speaker with the store logo they were offering yesterday. DH was covering a virtual conference today, so we waited until it was over to run over and pick it up.

Then we stopped at the grocery store on the way home. The chain has been having some REAL computer problems the past few weeks and when I filled out a receipt survey last week they asked if there were problems and I explained them pointing out that none of them were the fault of our local store employees who did a good job of taking care of the problems, but the computer was having definite problems.

However, I wasn't sure what to do about my "Pumpkin Tokens" after the voicemail told me there were problems, but didn't explain what we were supposed to do after the tokens vanished without letting use them on coupons as promised.

Each purchase was also supposed to be an entry into a sweepstakes for a year of free groceries, as well, but when the tokens just vanish, I doubted there would be entries included either.

I got an e-mail yesterday reminding me of the promotion -- even though it hasn't been working and I doubt we'll get anything from the pumpkin tokens we're supposed to be able to cash in tomorrow.

Much to my surprise, I was contacted by the local store and was told they were giving us a $20 gift card for all the trouble. So we dropped by and picked up that after the discount store.

Then we headed to a local burger joint to use a B1G1 milkshake coupon. We each get one each month and since we traveled earlier in the month, neither of us had used one yet. We're running out of month to do so!

Normally, we'd pick up burgers when we got our free shake, but this month's coupons expired a few days ago and I hadn't yet put the new coupons that arrived in the mail into my restaurant coupon folder.

Decided it was easier to eat at home as originally planned and just get milkshakes today then go back home for the other coupons.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    jcdamomma, Cathy, mtka and 2 others like this.
  11. jastwins

At ShopRite Tuesday night, I remembered to purchase on a separate receipt
    1 Progresso toppers soup and mailed in my free rebate this morning.

jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  12. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

That pumpkin token thing is a disaster. Yesterday we stopped at Wendy's after a long day in two different towns. I got the free chicken sandwich and my mom got a single and we shared some fries. The fries were way over salted and we both ran out of our drink quickly. The chicken sandwich was awful!!! I usually just have the $1 chicken sandwich there and it is much better. There was a sign up saying they had no lettuce, that might have helped the sandwich, but I doubt it. We can get another free chicken sandwich next week, but if I do, it definitely won't be from that location.

13. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

@mtka ....I feel your pain on the poor quality food at the drive thrus. At least when we were able to eat inside we could take the food to the counter if it was not up to par.
    We had a bad experience at a Burger King late summer. We ordered burgers and then drove 5 minutes to our destination to eat them. They were cold. There .was. Not .a.hint of warmth.
    After a long day I was not going back there as it was already a late lunch. I filled out the customer survey but never got a response. So, we have boycotted them since.
    I have purchased a chicken sandwich from Popeye’s ,driven 15 minutes before I stop to eat and it was still so hot it was almost too hot to eat. Kudos to them.
    Now when I get drinks, I ask them to go light on the ice.
    Chick fil a is great about honoring that request.
    Always double check your bag for utensils...Wendy’s window worker assured me the forks were in the bag...as we waited to check the bag at the gas station next door after a potty break & hand wash, we discovered no forks...It is hard to eat a baked potato with your hands.
    As far as the fast food places go.....Having their dining rooms closed should not be an excuse to pass off poor quality food/ service!!!

14. Gardencook

Big Lots sent us a digital coupon for a free 12-oz. bag of granola today. It arrived right before we left to run errands, so we stopped and picked it up before they ran out. We found a fruit and ancient grains/quinoa one that looked very tasty.

I agree on problems with orders in fast food drive-thru @mtka and @jastwins. We're getting so we hardly eat out any longer without dining rooms.

We stopped to use out last B1G1 milkshake coupon before the end of the month today. As usual, there was a long line at the drive-thru window. When we were halfway through, a girl ran to the dining room door and realized it was locked, so she pounded on the side door/employee entrance.

At first I figured she was an employee arriving for her shift, then I realized she had long hair and it was down -- a definite no-no in food service so I concluded she was a customer who was having problems with her order. However, by the time she got out of our sight she had pounded at least three or four times -- long and hard -- and either no one could hear her or they were ignoring her.

Basically, you wait 15 or 20 minutes in line to get your food, then when they mess it up you are supposed to get in the end of the same line and start all over again. :(

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    flowerkitty, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
Moderators: KimShaw