What are you getting Cheap or FREE in October 2020?

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, Oct 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Happy Fall, y'all!

Welcome to October and it is a month where you can get some good deals on many things. Here is an article for some ideas.

https://www.coupons.com/thegoodstuff/best-things-to-buy-in-october/
    Will you be stocking up for winter or doing holiday shopping?
    My pantry is doing ok, but I worry about the second wave of Covid-19 and want to make sure I do not run out of anything. In some stores, I still see a limit of 1 on paper goods.
    As a reminder, always check your bank accounts for any odd charges. I am going through hoops with Amazon to get a refund for fraudulent activity and am considering going to the police since Amazon claims they will refund me but have not yet done so. The way I knew that I was hacked was that I had an email showing me a delivery on a day that was not correct.
    If you are shopping and get a great deal, post it here. I love to find clearance items and use a coupon. My favorite saying is "If it's free, it's for me."
    Happy Shopping!

2. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I have a bad habit of not printing the gcs I get in my email from rewards program redemptions. I went back through my mail and checked a year's worth of walmart gcs and found more than $50 that I still had left. I bought a couple clearance toys for Christmas online and printed the rest to take to the store tomorrow.

3. jastwins

@mtka, I just went in search of 2 gcs for Amazon that I was reluctant to place on my account due to recent fraudulent activity. After complaining for a third time, bumping it up to a supervisor level, and threatening legal action, they refunded me $20 to my bank account.
    So, finally, I located in my emails, the $40 in Amazon gcs from my debit card points, and placed them on my account. The Tillatroop people credited me back 50 points (owed for a gc that was used not by me), so I chose Amazon gcs that I was able to apply to my account within minutes of being issued. I used the $90 in Amazon gcs to order snack & food items from prime pantry and needless to say, delivery times are still not what they used to be. It will take almost a week for 28 of 30 items to arrive by Saturday and 2 cans of broth will be here Tuesday!!?? The total of $86.68 was covered by my gift cards.

4. jastwins

I realized that I had not cashed in any of my SB points and promptly ordered a $25 Amazon gc that was immediately credited to me for being a Sapphire level member. My car remotes are saying to replace the batteries, so i ordered the ones I needed for $5 plus tax and they will be here on Tuesday. All paid for with Amazon gcs and free shipping. Still have more Sb points to cash out and will take my time deciding what gcs I need.

5. STallerico

STallerico Well-Known Member Trader Group

I just looked at my SB account and have points to redeem as well just don't know what to get at the moment. So will keep thinking about that. Hubby got $5 Kohl's cash so went and got a clearance necklace i plan on putting in my gift closet spent $1.36 after tax.

Cathy, jcdamomma, Jorainna and 4 others like this.
  6. jastwins

Today, I cashed out for Receipt pal ($5 Walmart e card) and Receipt Hog ($5 Paypal).
    Over the weekend, I moved funds from thred up that I had in Paypal to my bank account since I needed the money. I looked on Thred up and saw that I had 2 mailing labels that I never used, so I printed them and will send in one box this week and prep another one for next week. Thred up has been slow to process, but at least I know it will get done and I have earned decent money. Nice to get things out of my house and get something for them.
    SBKC will send me a $20 Visa gc this month.

7. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I went to Walmart and spent all the gc's I had remaining. I bought 2 boxes of A&H litter, a $1 lavender pot in the clearance section, Werther's caramels, Blue Wilderness cat food cans, and a few other things for a total of $46. I received 2,000 SB from the A&H, $12 back from Ibotta, and $1 from C51. Not too bad. $4 was for plant pot saucers that we needed as we brought some of the plants in for the winter. I thought they were marked cheaper, but not going to service desk for it.

We can finally go in both doors at the store, but the garden section door is still closed and that's were they are hiding all the clearance now that Christmas stuff is in. Before you had to queue at the far end near the liquor store building, then the walk what seemed like a mile to the garden center and back out the same door at the far end. I think the people that use the pharmacy were complaining that it was quite a walk for them as well, just to get in and out of the store.

I also got an awesome deal on dog food at TSC. They sent me, for the second time, a B1G1 coupon on any size of their 4Health food. I get the 45 lb. bags of dog food that cost between $42 and $45. Huge savings and it's really good dog food. The coupon works as advertised, quick and easy.

I messed up at Kroger. They have deals where you only get the price if you buy a certain quantity. That quantity has been the same for years until now. I only bought 3 bags of cheetos at one store, then realized my mistake as I was scanning the receipt for Ibotta. Luckily we have 2 Krogers and I stopped at the 2nd one, brought a bag of cheetos to the service center with the other receipt, and got back $2 and change and the 4th bag. I did the same thing with Powerade a few weeks back. It's always been wyb 8 bottles, now it's wyb 10 bottles. I can't read that little fine print, they need to make it bigger, especially after years of it being the same.

STallerico, Cathy, jcdamomma and 5 others like this.
  8. jastwins

Today, after work, I went to CVS with D3 and I gave her my 30% CVS mailer coupon that came in the mail. She bought 4 items and 3 of them were not on sale. She ended up saving over $10 and paid $28 OOP for some hair dye corrector, a hair mask, cream cheese and a liquid cleaner.
    I had a $10 gc and $6 in ecr that were my quarterly ecr. I had a coupon for b1g1 hair dye for Clairol and it was buy 2 get $4 ecr. The ones I bought were $8.49 and $8.99. The b1g1 coupon only allowed $7.99 to be deducted and a $5 digital coupon came off as well, making one free. The rest of my order included 4 Annie's mac and cheese products, on sale 2 for $3, a loaf of bread $2.69, 2 packs of gum for $2.22. After $10 gc and $6 ecr and digital q's, I paid $1.92 OOP and received $4 ecr.

STallerico, Cathy, jcdamomma and 4 others like this.
  9. jastwins

I used my one voice panel points to cash out for $10 Walmart card and added it to my walmart pay.
    On Sb I cashed out for a $10 CVS card and a $3 gambit rewards cards.
    Tomorrow I will cash out the remainder of my points and will probably get a $10 amazon card and $10 walmart card. I plan to do a big food shop at the end of the month.

10. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Last Tuesday, the last day of that mega for Kroger, I realized that the Quaker Mini Rice cakes with the 5x digital would only be .49 and with the 5x digitals, you can use a manufacture's coupon. I used the $2 off 4 tearpad to get them for free.

Sherri1480, STallerico, Cathy and 4 others like this.
  11. jastwins

Yesterday D2 and I visited TJMAxx and I was able to find a dog toy for $1, a 3.4 oz jar of rosemary for $2 ,
    16 oz bottle of hand soap for $2 and a Norpro silicone 12x 16 inch baking sheet for $2.99. On Amazon the Norpro baking sheet is $16.10.
    So glad I saved money at TJMAxx since D2 wanted Chinese and it ended up costing $41.00!!!!!!!

12. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

It is good to check your email for offers cvs sends.
    I recently received one for Nivea men’s body wash for $2.79.
    I redeemed it today and got back a $3 ecb on my receipt.

13. jastwins

I cashed out for a Walmart gc from Paidviewpoint and loaded the $18.21 to my Walmart pay.

14. jastwins

I had to get the oil changed on my car and did some shopping while I was near my other house.
    Most of my shopping was done at CVS where I able to get some deals and roll some ECR's. Before I dropped off my car I stopped at one CVS and was disappointed they did not have what I wanted ( toilet paper and paper towels on sale) at this location. I purchased 2 packs of JTB 24 ct water for $2.99 each, 1 All liquid detergent and 2 All powercore pacs, on sale $2.99 and I used 3 coupons for $1.50 each. Baboo bamboo toilet paper 8 pk was on sale $6.99 and get $6 ecr. I used $ 4 ecr and a $10 gc plus the (3) $1.50 All coupons and paid $7.73 OOP including tax and bottle deposits. I earned $6 ecr and got back $2.10 from Ibotta.

After getting my car back, I took Crankie to the bank (he had a big car repair) and I stopped in another CVS where they had Scott TP 12 packs in stock. I bought 3 packs of 12 ct for $7.99 each and used the $6 ecr and a $4/ $20 Scott Tp from the red machine. My OOP with tax was 16.04 and I received $5 ecr for that deal. Just happy that they did not impose any limits on the TP.

Next I purchased (6) Oral B toothbrush twin packs for $2.99 each, buy 3 get $5 ecr , limit 2, 1 Crest toothpaste $2.99 and Kleenex TP 400 sheet roll, free after digital coupon. I had a $1 coupon for Crest, $1 digital coupon for Oral b, $3/18 oral care cvs q and $5 & $4 ecr and paid $11.39, including tax and received $10 ecr.

My last purchase included 3 Kelloggs cereals that were .99 cents each after sale and $1 coupons off each one. Alka Seltzer mint gum sample was free after coupon, Dove body wash 22 oz was $2.50 after sale and 2 coupons, Neutragena make up wipes were .59 cents after $4 and $3 cvs coupons, Maybelline baby lips lip balm was .59 cents after $4 cvs coupon, 2 Progresso soups were $3 on sale,
    1 Schwarzkopf keratin hair color was $5.99 after $4 digital coupon (forgot my mfg coupon : (
    I used $10 ecr and $2 off $8 breakfast coupon and paid $9.44 OOp with tax for 10 items.
    On my way home, I stopped in Bath and Body works (there was a line to get in and this location had a limit of 8 persons in the store including employees)
    and I used mailer coupons to get a free 3 oz body lotion, a plug in ($4.50)and 1 bottle of scent ($6.50) was $6 with coupon for both, and I bought another scent for the one I have home. My last coupon was 20% off my entire order and I paid $11.73 OOP.
    I stopped in Kohls since my neighbor gave me her 25 % off coupon she received when she made an amazon return. The store annoyed me since no hanger matched the size of the item in the clearance section (UGH!) I finally found a Vera Wang blouse in my size and a different color of a shirt I had home but it was a style I liked. After the 25% coupon, the shirts cost $9.60 and $4.50,so with tax I paid $14.80.

15. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We had a Buy One Get One Free dinner at P.F. Chang's in downtown Salt Lake City. Parking was free due to the holiday.

16. jastwins

I used my amazon gcs to get 2 sets of twin sheets for $11.75 OOP. I used $24.65 in gcs and a lightning deal to get both sets and I was able to get darker colors (gray and eggplant). Lots of deals on Prime day, but this was all I needed and the shipping was free.

17. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

From my email: I received another coupon to make $1.89 box of Special K cereal at cvs. I picked this up today when I was running errands from the store that is mainly a cvs pharmacy, but it has some grocery,makeup,drugstore otc items, greeting cards, cleaning supplies, etc but does not participate in the weekly ad. I print from the red box there...the coupons are smaller in size and much clearer....probably because it doesn’t get used much!

18. jastwins

This week I printed a $10 CVS gc from SB and I just earned enough points for a $5 Amazon gc from the Community insights forum.

Jorainna, Sherri1480 and jcdamomma like this.
  19. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We went to Park City on business. There honestly isn't much that is cheap or free there, but we enjoyed a few items.

We got a great deal on a GORGEOUS condo. Would love to go back one day, but we suspect the rates were low due to COVID, so don't know if we could afford it again.

It is the owner's personal retreat and he is a gourmet cook. He had the place stocked with anything you could possibly need.

This condo was a first for us since the owner even supplied food. We didn't eat him out of house-and-home, but he keeps the pantry stocked with enough food for quick meals for guests just arriving by air who haven't had time to do any grocery shopping. I had read previous reviews about the stocked pantry, but wasn't prepared for the extent of that stocking. The freezer contained fish, fries, pizza, breakfast sandwiches, ice cream, shredded cheese, bread, butter, margarine ... we brought our own food and had a hard time finding room for it.

The pantry had the usual spices as well as many you rarely see, but also had soups, chili, canned vegetables and beans, pasta, brown and white rice, quinoa ... we could have eaten there for several days without shopping -- and most items were VERY high quality -- extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed canola oil, organic ice cream, Alexa fries, vegetarian meatballs ... not to mention virtually every condiment you can imagine in the fridge door. It was SO nice not having to mess with a cooler full of partially used bottles of ketchup, mayo and mustard on the way home.

We only used a few things and made sure to leave a few in their place. The olive oil bottle was rather low when we got there, so we replaced it rather than leaving it nearly empty and put a few canned goods on the shelf to replace those we used.

We had afternoons to ourselves so took some nice drives into the surrounding canyons and got a much better feel for how things are laid out there.

We traveled to Mirror Lake one afternoon and got free admission with DH's National Parks Pass. (It is a state park, but within a national forest.)

That was our favorite drive. The lake is beautiful, but we were breathless due to the elevation. We got up to nearly 11,000 feet!

Utah has some gray jays which live year round in the Uinta Mountains where Mirror Lake is located. We'd never seen them before, however, they obviously know what tourists are! Between the jays and the chipmunks it was hard to hang onto our picnic lunches. We tossed them a few chunks of bread and some chips, but at one point DH wasn't looking and a jay first jumped on our table, then our cooler and was about to fly off with all he could get of DH's sandwich had I not grabbed some plastic wrap and slapped my hand down on it. :p

We got free admission to another national forest above Sundance, as well, but we turned around as the road was VERY steep, one-lane with two-way traffic and we didn't feel safe.

The views were spectacular, but we were surprised with how small Sundance appeared to be. Lots of road construction was a disincentive to go into the resort and we couldn't find a picnic table, so just pulled off on a shoulder parking area to eat our lunch. A big flock of wild turkeys happened by about then, so we got to watch them through the trees while we ate.

We also figured out how Emigration Canyon connects with Salt Lake City, since we decided to take it when we left rather than the same old boring view from the freeway. I remembered from looking at maps on trips years ago that the west side of Emigration Canyon connects with the east side of downtown Salt Lake by the University.

We got a REALLY good rate at a hotel and stayed in downtown Salt Lake for a couple nights on the way home. It seems like we are always rushing to get home on our trips and never get to spend any time enjoying Salt Lake these days. The hotel was much nicer than expected, the room was HUGE and considering that you don't get anything except grab-and-go breakfasts at any hotel these days, it was a better breakfast than expected.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  20. jastwins

In my rush to get d2 to her ferry, I forgot my coupon bag and a $10 gc. Oh well! At the ferry office, I used my remaining points to pay for D2's one way ferry passage as a walk on. I met D3 and her friend and we went shopping at Aldi.
    Luckily I stopped at CVS on the way and used both my carepasses and digital coupons to get great deals.
    My first deal was on Tide detergent and pods. It was thrilling to see them have alot of stock out and I bought 2 92 oz Tide liquids, on sale for $11.94 each
    and 16 ct Tide pods, on sale for $4.94. The big red maching printed $6 beauty bucks that I used with $10 carepass, $4/$20 Tide liquid, $3 off 92 oz Tide, $2 off Tide pods, so my OOP with tax was $4.93 and I recieved $5 Ecr. I will keep this receipt for the P & G rebate and load up my receipt to P& G everyday for points.
    Just noticing how the bottles are giving us less detergent for a price that goes higher every year. The tide simply is down to 31 oz for a small bottle. The 92 oz bottle used to be 100 oz.
    I am still not sure how the next deal worked but I was thrilled to pay .60 cents for 24 rolls of Baboo bamboo toilet paper. An email sent me B1 G1 of the Babo TP and another digital q was for b2 get one free on any 8 ct tp. They were $6.99 each , so the register tape shows b1g1 for 6.99 off , b2g1 $6.99 off and then it shows carepass $6.99 off . The sign said $6 extra bucks for purchase but I did get that deal last week and not this week, but it may have been a limit of one. I only had to pay the tax of .60 cents, so 100 % savings.
    My last purchase was for snacks and I used the b1g1 on the small boxes of cookies or crackers and bought 8, making 4 of them free. They also had Belvita biscuits on sale 3/6. I used my other carepass $10 award and paid $6.76 for 11 items.
    At Aldi's, I picked up a few items and the best deal was the price of a dozen eggs..... only .56 CENTS each and I took 2 dozen.

Moderators: KimShaw