What are you getting CHEAP or FREE in October 2019?

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, Oct 1, 2019.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Only 86 days until CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep this in mind when shopping and I hope you find the deals you need. Be mindful of any sales this month. In recent years I found the sales to be better in October than November on certain items. Here are some ideas for purchases big and small.
    https://www.dealnews.com/features/discounts/months/October/

Let us know what you find and where you find it! As many of you have posted, look for the clearance section and let us know what you find. Check out clearance on school supplies and clothing.

2. jastwins

I cashed out on Swagbucks this morning for a $25 gc to the Children's place to purchase black leggings for one of the twinkies. It seems this child goes through leggings at an alarming rate, so I will stock her up. I also have to purchase items on the justice website and dread it since it will be expensive but it is what they want.

3. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well, we got a free burger at Red Robin today -- I guess it was free. When they give a B1G1 on the gourmet burgers they make you buy two beverages. Depending on what you drink, the bill can be almost as much as two burgers without beverages, but its still something.

4. jastwins

It is October 1st and CVS awards extra bucks or ecr's for last quarter. The red machine spit out $8 ecr ....Yeah! I took advantage of some sales and coupons and did get good deals on some items. From the red kiosk, I used $10/$50 coupon, the $8 ecr but still spent $42 and got back $12 in ecr. Not bad but not my best. The only error I can find is that an app coupon for $5 that did not come off for a colgate purchase. I will call tomorrow to see why it did not come off. I did use a $3/15 colgate purchase coupon and got back $6 ecr.
    I found 3 laundry bags on clearance for $1.75 and they ended up costing $1.17 each. It is smaller than the girls have and sometimes you just need a smaller bag to separate clothing. I used a $5 coupon to purchase L'oreal make up wipes and after coupons and discounts, they were .02 cents. Revlon gel lipstick was $1.08 after $5 cvs q, $3 mfg q and ecr plus I got back $4 ecr.
    An app coupon for $2 made my Gain liquid cost $3.94. I got one 24 ct Total Home dye free laundry pods for .99 cents with $3 off $5 total home purchase. I used a $3 off 2 l'oreal hair care cvs q to pay $5 for 2. I used $3 off 12 purchase and bought 2 Garnier leave in conditioners for D1. Small boxes of Nabisco cookies/snacks were on sale for $1 and ended up costing .62 cents with ecr. I bought 7 boxes. I purchase 2 more boxes of 75% off tampax active 34 ct tampons and the ecr brought the cost down to $1.74.

On my lunch hour, I went to Kmart to see if they had any food clearance. None to be found. So, I checked the shampoo aisle and found tressemme, suave and pantene for 50% off. I used $5/3 coupon from Sunday's P & G circular for the pantene. In the end I paid $10.24 for 7 hair care items. On Fetch I submitted a ticket when my points did not credit correctly. Luckily, it is already fixed.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  5. jastwins

D2 has a job interview in the city so the company flew her to NYC and put her up in a hotel. I mailed her suit jackets and pants but they did not arrive as promised. D2 went to Nordstrom Rack and spent $100 on a new suit.
    The hotel is pricey (with the company paying the room @ $439 and d2 ordered a fancy salad $31 ( with taxes, fees, gratuity and delivery charge) because she was starving. She may have to pay for it herself. I laugh since she just got a refund check of $30 from the doctor's office the other day. Easy come, easy go.

6. Gardencook

Yesterday I forgot to mention that I picked up a jar of Heinz Mayo for 49 cents after mega sale and $2.50/1 coupon sent by PINCHme.

I had a $2/1 Angus Burger coupon and they were on the mega sale for $6.99 -- $10.99 retail. A package of six Monterey Jack and Roasted Red Pepper Angus Burgers were $4.99 a/c and yesterday we got a 10 percent senior discount making them $4.50 OOP.

A loaf of Oroweat Whole Wheat Bread was 99 cents after $1 mailer coupon and mega sale. (Would have only been 77 cents last week, but we didn't need it then.)

7. jastwins

I visited the post office today and let them know the package I sent on Saturday, due MONDAY, arrived today. After giving the postmaster the tracking number she confirmed that I told her my package did not even leave NY until Monday evening. It then went to New Hampshire on Tuesday when it should have gone to Massachusetts where it finally arrived at d2's school today, after her interview was over. The postmaster told me she would refund me and I will bring her my receipt tomorrow and get back my $14.35.

8. Gardencook

I'm amazed they were willing to give you a refund @jastwins.

I went around and around with the post office here many, many years ago. While we were traveling, I mailed a package from Wyoming to a friend in Germany. I had NO idea how much it would cost and wanted to make sure it arrived safely, so made a point of going to the window and having the postal employee weigh it, determine the amount and add the postage.

A month after we returned home it arrived back in our mailbox -- postage due! I thought my friend had gotten it weeks earlier.

Instead, the post office claimed I needed to start all over -- not only refusing to deliver with the amount I'd been told, but the woman demanded I start over from zero and pay AGAIN a second time for a package that was supposed to have left Wyoming four weeks earlier!

It was quite a fight, but I wasn't budging and FINALLY she agreed to mail the package on without me paying a second time.

The same woman was no friendlier the time the mailman delivered a large three-day cardboard mailer that had been emptied of all its contents from a train here at HCW -- it had been filled with coupons, samples and miscellaneous items before it arrived here. There was not a single explanation from the post office, simply a mailer that had been torn open -- as if that is the way people normally mail things.

When I took it to the post office, she said there was no reason the post office should have included a note of explanation, however, she did notice that the the empty cardboard mailer had never been postmarked and tried to confiscate it.

I could have steamed off the stamps and reused them, but didn't. I've never thrown it away.

9. jastwins

Got my refund from the post office in cash and promptly put in back in my bank account. I used it to pay a lab bill for D2.

Jorainna, Sherri1480, Cathy and 4 others like this.
  10. jastwins

Free organic veggies from our school garden. Some tomatoes, radishes and swiss chard. I was working in the pre K and the teacher works in the garden in her spare time, so she told me to help myself.

From Fetch, I was able to get a $5 CVS gc and will use that next week with my $2 gc from coke.com and my extra bucks from my last shopping trip when I stop by next Wednesday after working my bank job.

Today is a day to earn extra money since I am proctoring an SAT test and will be paid by the test administrator and my school.

11. jastwins

From Thred up I transferred $8.89 to my paypal account today.

referral link is http://www.thredup.com/r/RKBDCX

From my phone app, 1Q I was credited $2.25 to my paypal account for answering a short survey. You never know when a survey will pop up but i am glad I found this app and was paying attention that day.

My referral code is: 1q.com/uagpwk

12. jastwins

I had enough points to cash out for a $5 Amazon gc from Receipt pal.
    On Swagbucks, I cashed out for $6 In Amazon gcs.

13. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

The local grocer offered a free box of a baseball player’s cereal & a $50 gift card for select merchants for only $35 if you activate the coupons in the ap.
    So far they seem to offer at least 1 discounted gift card deal per month. Most of the time they offer 3-4 retailers to choose from & I usually find one that will work for us. I am hoping to use some of these for Christmas.

Jorainna, Sherri1480, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  14. jastwins

I used Amazon gcs to pay for a convertible wall charger for D2 who will be travelling to Paris on Friday. She is visiting a classmate who is spending a semester abroad. Over the summer, she found a great fare on Norwegian airlines ($400 round trip plus $30 insurance). She booked an airBnb for her stay after the friend had to move to another host family. Here's hoping it all goes well.

15. jastwins

CVS sent me a survey and awarded me $15. However, I did it on my cel phone and not my computer, so I took screen shots of the certicate and hoped it would work.
    I stopped at the EAst Hampton CVS, a small location on the way home from working in Montauk for the day. I used $3 ecr, a CVS coupon and the $15 gc to pay.04 cents!!!!! for the following:

2 Arm and hammer liquid detergents
    3 Era liquid detergents
    1 U by Kotex 32 ct
    1 colgate TP
    and got back $4.50 in ecr

Very happy with this deal. Will post later about my second deal in another CVS. Mistakes were made and I am not a happy camper.

16. itsfun2save

itsfun2save Active Member Trader Group

@jastwins Nice CVS order for pennies! I did not know CVS offered paid surveries. Congrats!

17. jastwins

Great deals in Kmart last night and here is what I bought. Kmart has certain haircare item 50 % off and I used the recent P & G coupons along with my purchase. Suave Professional shampoo was $1.49 and I bought 2. Two 11 oz cans of Pantene hairspray were $2.24 and I used (2) $1 coupons on each making them $1.24 each. I bought 3 Pantene Shampoos that were $2.24 each and used a $5/3 coupon making the cost $1.72 for 3. All coupons came off without a hitch. My total cost for 7 items was $8.40 and will go towards my P & G rebate. Double check your prices before buying to make sure you have the ones on sale.
    King Kullen has finally put the kibosh on double dollar coupons when a product is $1.99 and I found out the hard way. So I returned one bottle of Terriyaki sauce. Colgate toothpaste was .99 cents and not free since they did not double my coupon. The cashier was not to swift and could not answer my questions and left off one of my coupons. UGH! My other great deal was for Sundown Vitamins. They were all 50% off and I had 2 $5 coupons. I purchased melatonin gummy vitamins and Vitamin D gummies and paid .14 cents for each after sale and $5 coupon for each bottle. Two free items with coupons were a can of Libby's cream style corn and a 15 ounce can of Redpack tomato sauce. After my refund, I paid $4.22 OOP for 8 items.

18. jastwins

After my stellar CVS trip, I had to suspect that the second trip at another location would not be smooth and I was correct.
    The cashier did not take off 2 $10 coupons and I was able to return one item and get back one coupon. Only later did I realize that they did not take off 2 of 3 $10 coupons plus another b3g1 free coupon for .89 cents. Sundown organic vitamins were $9.99 and we discussed this and I told them to adjust the price down to 9.99 for each . The vitamins should have been free and they cost over $10 due to my ecr's I am considering returning the second bottle of vitamins. The $10 coupon that did come off was for a Nature's bounty item. It annoyed me that they were speaking another language in front of me and did not do their job correctly.
    Other deals on this trip included using $8/$60 coupon, $7 in gcs and $16.40 in ecr to make my OOP $12.91 after one vitamin for $10 was returned.
    Seriously, I am so annoyed that I am calling CVS customer service and am on the line with them now, on hold for the third time.
    Including the 3 vitamins, I bought 4 more boxes of clearance tampons from Tampax and I used 2 $3 coupons making 2 boxes free and 2 boxes costing me $1.16 each. Some snack items included 3 bags of CHex mix, 3 pringles, 1 Quaker cereal, 4 boxes of Nature Valley, 1 Hallmark card, 1 Era liquid, 4 Renuzits, 2 boxes of Kleenex.

19. jastwins

@itsfun2save I joined a CVS consumer panel (through their website) and although I do not get many surveys, this was a nice surprise.
    My $3 ecr adjusted down to $2.95 and I should have spent another nickel!

20. jastwins

There was a P & G promo on my SAving star and my purchases at CVS and Kmart helped me earn a $15 rebate. Just cashed out for $20 this morning. YEAH!

Moderators: KimShaw