What are you getting Cheap or FREE in May 2020

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, May 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Yesterday at work we were treated to a free breakfast and free lunch!

2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We've needed to order DH a new laptop cooling pad for several months, but I seemed to find a good one from Amazon that Walmart doesn't sell. Didn't need enough other items to fill out an order with free shipping, so we've waited.

The other night I realized I could get a gallon of blackstrap molasses from Amazon for a little more than $20 so decided that would give us something to get to the minimum. Tossed in an order for some pantry moth traps while we were at it. Placed the order with no money OOP using gift cards earned with rewards programs.

Just hope the molasses doesn't leak in transit. A few reviews mentioned the problem, but most did not have a problem so here is hoping. :rolleyes:

Sherri1480, jastwins and jcdamomma like this.
  3. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I went to town on Friday to find a pool backwash hose. I was unsuccessful at that, but did pick up a few clearance things at Kroger. I found some Scotchgard spray, I was just saying last week I needed to buy some as my rain jacket doesn't seem to be water repellent anymore. Also, they had tons of kitchen gadgets in the pile. I picked up a cute 6-pack of clips, was just looking at them at Amazon. They are little dog faces. They aren't so great at closing large bags of chips, but they work fine for smaller bags and are pretty cute.

Of course they were out of the free Cracker Barrel cheeses and walmart was out of the free cheerios from Ibotta. I did pick up some cheap Blue Bunny ice cream cones and sundaes and corelle plates were b1g1 free. I seem to break these unbreakable plates quite frequently. They should put a disclaimer on them never to use a ceramic knife on them, just cuts right through the plate.

Cathy, Sherri1480, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  4. Gardencook

Cashed out some SB points for a Walmart gift card and DH ran it over to the store today to move it to plastic. While he was there I had him pick up a jar of Lemi Shine Booster. Took a chance on doing another SB offer. Uploaded the receipt and it credited instantly, making for another freebie.

We'll use one of our free jars of Indian Sauce on chicken for dinner tonight.

5. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

@Gardencook I am glad the Lemi Shine worked for you. I am still waiting to hear back from the ticket I submitted.

6. jastwins

I cashed out this morning for a $5 Amazon gc on receiptpal. I earned enough points on the onevoicepanel to cash out for a $10 gc and will probably choose a CVS card.
    On the Viewpoints facebook app, I did a survey that should award me $5 thru paypal.
    Through a Swagbucks survey, I joined Community insights forum. You answer surveys for points to cash out for gcs. I will let you know how it goes.
    Sb did not credit me the points for the survey, but I was accepted into the community. I will not even bother to send a ticket.

7. Gardencook

Well, my Amazon order arrived today. UPS dumped it on the front porch without so much as a door bell ring -- even though someone reported a package theft on our hill yesterday! :mad:

Apparently, the UPS driver delivered it to the wrong house and those people later claimed they didn't get it. :mad::mad:

Anyway, molasses arrived without leaking -- but it wasn't wrapped in a plastic bag like it was on the few photos I saw in reviews where the stuff spilled. What a mess that would have been had it gotten all over everything!

DH's laptop cooler seemed to survive and is running, but I ordered a large box of pantry moth traps, because they are a lot cheaper that way. Paid for the large box, but got the small one instead.

When I ordered, I noticed someone had the same problem just a few weeks ago. I'm wondering how many others haven't noticed and just got shorted? :(

Amazon seems to be making you jump through a lot more hoops to chat these days, but I finally got through to a human. She was helpful and said she'd refund the price of the traps without us having to return them. So we got a few free traps. Still would have rather had the larger box so I didn't need to order again later, however.

Guess I used gift cards earned with rewards programs to pay for the order in the first place, however, so didn't technically pay anything OOP.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  8. jastwins

I ventured off island to go to Walgreens since it is an authorized drop off place for Fed Ex packages. Keeping my fingers crossed that the 2 boxes of my girls books get back to Chegg. Another box was dropped off at my Island hardware store that is a UPS drop off. Return labels I printed made shipping free for all 3 packages.
    At King Kullen, they actually had a sale and the items in stock. I did get one bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s honey mustard dipping sauce free with a coupon. One bottle of Sticky fingers BBQ sauce was $1.59 after double dollar coupon. They had McCains fries on sale 2/$5, Boca burgers were 2/$5 but the best deal was Breakstone unsalted butter, $1.99 each, limit 2 if I spent $25. Sadly the meat was expensive but in good supply. London broil were $9.99/ lb. sadly I bought 2 and paid over $23 :confused::eek:
    I headed to CVS and used my $10 carepass and a $10 gc. MY first purchase was 3 packs of 12 cans of Coke and Diet Coke. It was on sale b2/g1 free. All bags of Easter candy were $1 and I bought one bag of Hershey’s kisses. After sale, Tax, bottle dep and $10 care pass, I used a $2.78 balance on a visa gc and paid $4 OOP for 4 items.
    My second purchase was forL’Oreal shampoo and razors. I had 2 coupons on my card but used 1 mfg coupon for skintimate razors. After my gc, I paid $9.21 and got back $9 ecr.
    I earned free McDonald medium fries by placing a mobile order. It is quick and easy and I did not have to wait on a line.

9. flowerkitty

I received a birthday email earlier in the month from Krispy Kreme donuts loyalty club. ...picked up a free dozen of glazed donuts yesterday.

Cathy, jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and 3 others like this.
  10. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I did the same thing today. Poor cashier couldn't figure out my rewards phone number after me telling him 8 times. Still got my free donuts. The line wrapped around the building though.

11. Gardencook

Our paper Monopoly Free coupons were about to expire and I've been putting off a trip to the store, because I caught DH's cold, which he got over days ago ... :oops:

I don't think I'm still contagious, but it wasn't wise for me to go into a store since I still sneeze or cough without warning. That meant that I had to hand a huge wad of coupons to DH and hope (with a lot of coaching at home) that he could figure it out at the store. I REALLY hated to do it to him, but everyone in my family catches just about every bug to cross our path -- which is why he's been doing so much of the shopping the past several months. :confused:

Overall, he did pretty well -- except for the nearly $8 bag of name brand cat food he bought by mistake -- WITHOUT a coupon -- OUCH! We had a digital coupon for $2 off house brand -- which would have made it $2.99 -- but even though he read the shelf price he got the wrong stuff and wonders if they had it in the wrong place.

He also ended up with the correct brand but got Greek instead of Icelandic Yogurt and the register took his coupons without beeping, but didn't give them to him free. :(

So today's frees included: a box of pasta, a box of organic animal cookies, four doughnuts, three loaves of French bread, four ICE beverages, a four-pack of batteries, a package of hot dog buns, a can of vegetables, a bag of baby carrots and at least eight or 10 other items which I can't remember, because the stupid receipt just lists them as "Price 0.02" or "Price 0.03" -- "0.00" after coupon without listing an item name. :mad:

They also gave us a digital coupon for $1.50 off salad. Coleslaw was on sale for $1.50 this week and was included so free a/c.

We had a digital coupon for 65 cents off Oikos yogurt -- which was on sale for $1 this week -- 35 cents a/c and Tillamook Yogurt was 39 cents on sale, so he bought several of those.

He picked up a few other groceries, as well. Looking forward to a couple personal watermelons -- the first of the season.

We've still got a bunch of digital free coupons that don't expire until July. We'll worry about them later. I only had him get the three that were identical to paper ones today -- since digitals come off before paper coupons.

12. jastwins

I will earn a $10 Amazon g c for completing a survey about an Amazon series.
    Today at the school we were treated to a free lunch. I had a BLT sandwich, chips and a soda. After school, I went to a Bank branch to take some online courses and they were ordering lunch too. It was the last day the bank was buying them lunch after doing so for the last 2 months. I ordered a chicken panini sandwich and a soda and took it home. D2 ate half and Crankie ate the other half when the Chinese order he picked up was missing his meal and one order of fried rice.

13. jastwins

I just got back from shopping and spent way too much. It is becoming aggravating to shop very few sales and pay full price on 80% of your order. However, with coupons I did get a couple of frees. Two Dannon yogurts were free after sale and coupon. A Frito lay onion dip was .20 cents with coupon after $2.99 off for buying 2 bags of Doritos. Two Kens dressings were $1.99 after coupon / sale, but my coupons did not double. A coupon doubled for 2 bags of Tortillyahs and they cost 1.99 each after sale.
    I found 6 packs of meat on markdown and took those after getting sticker shock from other meat prices. I used a coupon on Utz pretzels making them 2/$4. I spent just under $150 since I bought specialty meats and cheeses for my parents and sisters visiting tomorrow.
    At cvs, I picked up 3 12 packs of soda, on sale b2, g 1 free. The price of the soda did not reflect the sale so a manager overrode the price to make one free. I had some candy coupons and used them to buy 2 Twix, 2 snickers and 4 Reese’s bars that were on clearance (75% off). I used $1 off 2 Reese’s making 2 free and 2 coupons for .75 off the other 4 bars. My OOP, using $9 e c r , was $10.58, including tax and bottle deposit for 36 cans of soda and 8 candy bars.

14. flowerkitty

Friday I was looking online for a replacement coco liner for one of my large hanging baskets. The best price was at Walmart ( but through a third party vendor). The price was 10.17 but they wanted $15.43 for shipping.
    That was not happening, so I checked Joann’s website and found a smaller liner that I could cut & fit together for much more reasonable price of $4.08 for 3 liners. Regular price was $7.99 each. These liners were on sale plus I used a 20% off online coupon - ordered online & chose curbside pickup.
    I knew I did not want to go inside ... I tried that a few weeks ago- stood in line to get in as there was a limit to the # of people allowed in store & the poor cashier was in charge of checking people out and letting them out of the store & letting the next person in. She locked the door to make sure no one snuck in.Needlass to say, it took forever. I did curbside pickup & that worked great.

Moderators: KimShaw