What are you getting Cheap or FREE in May 2020

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, May 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Yesterday, I used a close to expiration $6/30 cvs mailer coupon, $1.25 in ecr and $10 gc to buy 2 beach chairs that were $17.49 each (spend $30 get $10 ecr deal on summer items). I paid $20.88 OOP with tax and got back the $10 ecr. Our beach chairs were junky, Crankie threw them out and I figured the girls will need them for the beach this summer. I just have to get us 2 more.
    I rolled the $10 ecr to buy a 24 pk of JTB water for $2.99, a beef stick on clearance for .54 cents, 4 boxes of Kelloggs cereal, on sale for $1.99, a cup of Quaker oatmeal $1.89 and a People magazine. I used ten $10 ecr and $2 off breakfast items to pay $8.38 OOP. Submitted the receipt to Sb for 1000 points through the shoply app and fetch.
    Also submitted the receipt to Ibotta yesterday to get back .50 cents for any receipt and they added it back for this week, so check it out. This works weekly, even if you do not buy an item listed for that particular store. I need to earn just under $4 to be able to cash out from Ibotta. I have trouble finding the items i need in the store where shop, so I cannot fulfill the requirements. One offer had buy 2 and the store I was in had one left or the size is not part of the offer. This is the luck I have.
    Also on Checkout 51, they have added back a veggie or fruit pick your own offer for .25 cents. Last month they had 3 offers on eggs, bread or milk but those are gone. It was a good way to build up my balance and I am $2.52 away from a $20 payout.
    At King Kullen, not much to say. Still a limit of 2 on any item and stock is good on some and not so great on others. My only deal was on a 64 oz Turkey hill iced tea for .88 cents after double coupon and sale.
    Can i just say that the pandemic has caused many stores to shut down bottle deposit redemption machines and yet the stores still charge us for the bottles we purchase. I am getting to the point where I may have to throw out my bottles since I have only seen one store that lets you redeem them but I had left them at home!!!!

2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Got a couple more jars of Indian sauces today using the SB weekly offer.

Also got e-mails on three $5 gift cards from a survey program I belong to. They wrote a little more than a week ago and said they'd be sending them instantly now and I guess I had enough points for three of them.

Also got the promised beer rebate check today, so we'll have to cash that the next time we head to the credit union.

3. jastwins

Today, I headed off island to pick up prescriptions at Walgreens our designated pharmacy as directed by Crankie's union. Both were free since I picked up 3 month supply for each. As I waited for them to be filled, I checked out the store and found a clearance cart up front. Two boxes of store brand coffee pods in medium roast were marked down to $2.74 each and Degree men's deodorant was $1.99, all 3 being 75 % off. I also picked up 2 small pringle cans, 2/$2, for a 10 SB credits. I paid $9.69 for all 5 items, including tax.
    Next door, I stopped in K mart and there were very few food markdowns to be found. Now that all the summer people are out, they decided to charge full price like every other store. Just glad I stocked up when I did. I found 2 floral spring heart shaped wreaths on 90% clearance and paid$2.80 for both with tax.
    I could not go in Petco and was surprised to realize that you just cannot walk around some stores. So I told the lady no thanks and headed to King Kullen. This store had the meat I was looking for and I picked up 2 packages of flank steak on sale for $5.99/lb, 2 packages of Perdue fresh cut thin sliced chicken cutlets (on sale b1g1), Beyond sausage, a pack of pork braciole and 4 pack of hamburgers on markdown. I had 2 coupons for Dannon Oikos yogurt that made them free. After picking up some plant butter, veggies, ice and fruit, I paid just over $52 oop.
    My last stop was CVS and before I left my house, I spent an hour on the phone with customer service to get back $7 ecr that never printed out when their system went down. While getting my coupons printed, I found $3 ecr I had not used last trip. The $7 ecr printed out of the red machine as the csr had promised. I wanted to look at the beach chairs but this location did not have the ones I wanted. I bought 3 Nature valley snacks, on sale for $1.99, 4 small boxes of Nabisco Lorna doones and oreos, $1 each, 2 boxes of unscented Always pads, b1 get 1 50% off, for D1, (for my Ibotta rebate), 2 Bai drinks (ibotta rebate making one free) and a lavender warmie (heart shaped rice filled pack) for my sore neck, on clearance for $4.74 (75% off). I used $1 off 2 NV, and .50 app coupon, $2 off Always and $2.50 app coupons for always, $10 in ecr and paid $17.22 with my SBKC visa card. From Ibotta, I earned $3 for one Always, $1.99 for Bai drink and .50 cents any item for a $5.49 credit. Now I can cash out for $21.93 and think I will get an amazon card or paypal!

Jorainna, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  4. Gardencook

Today another of the tree trimmers made it to our house to give us an estimate on our front tree. Gotta say this has been quite an adventure! :confused:

DH called the five companies which seemed to get the highest reviews on the Internet.

One was a local number which redirected to a switchboard in Jackson Hole, Wyoming that was supposed to contact a local company with our request. We haven't heard a peep out of them, nor one of the other companies which he contacted and had to leave a message.

That pretty much puts them out of the running. If they were really interested, you'd think they would have at least called to say they'd be coming at a later date.

They were all supposed to call before they came so we'd be sure to be here. The first didn't bother to call, but left a bid in our door and then called later to follow up. It was the most expensive, but the fellow seemed efficient other than not calling first.

The second was a fellow DH has seen driving around town. Kind of hard to miss someone with a pet raccoon on his shoulders! He seemed to know what he was talking about as he explained what needed to be done on the tree and his bid was about $100 less than the first.

The last fellow came tonight and gave the most reasonable bid by far ($100 less than the second guy), however, for someone who lives here and works in a business where you must travel to other people's homes each day he seems VERY directionally challenged. That kind of strips away our confidence in the job he'll do.

DH spent a LONG time on the phone trying to explain where we lived and to be fair our street is not a well-known one -- making it very quiet. However, pretty much everyone in town knows our neighborhood. It is a major subdivision on a hill directly behind a strip mall on a major thoroughfare. This fellow didn't even seem to know where the mall or the thoroughfare were located and he'd never heard of our neighborhood! :oops:

If he doesn't have GPS or a computer at home to look addresses up on, you'd think he'd at least have a good old-fashioned map. That's how I learned my way around town when I first moved here -- years before the Internet existed. :p

He said he was headed out and DH went out to work in the yard awaiting his arrival. Quite awhile later, the phone rang and he said he'd finally found our street, but couldn't find our house. Then he stopped and said, "Oh, maybe I'm here."

It isn't like our house number is hidden. We used to have two big fir trees in front which were killed by a plague of red spider mites that killed a large portion of evergreens in the city. Because it was hard to read the street number over our front porch, we added another set above our garage -- meaning we now have two sets of house numbers -- not just one -- even though we no longer have the firs blocking the first set. :p

DH said, he had seen the fellow drive by quite a bit earlier, but he didn't realize the fellow was looking for us. He didn't arrive with any paperwork to give us a written bid either, so DH told him he wanted a bid in writing.

So, now the big decision comes. I told DH it was up to him since he's the one who has been meeting them. Sounds like he's leaning toward the middle fellow, but we'll see.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  5. Gardencook

And it looks like I was on the wrong thread when I posted the last -- I thought I was on the "Frugal Thread," but then @jastwins posted to this thread and I guess I forgot I wasn't on the other thread. :p

Tree trimmers are neither FREE, nor are they CHEAP! :oops:

6. jastwins

@Gardencook you are so right! My husband knows lots of people in various trades but they are all closer to my other house, an hour away. Their prices are always more reasonable and always cheaper that "Hamptons" prices. People out here get way more money and the city people will pay it!
    My neighbor wanted a tree taken down.....$2000. He said no. The guy needed money and offered a deal....$1100, and my neighbor keeps the wood for firewood. The tree guy chopped it up and removed the stump. My neighbor gave the straight tree trunk (8 feet long) to a carpenter buddy of his.
    Two people on my block just had trees go down. Cannot imagined what they paid to have these really large old trees removed.

7. Gardencook

We ran into that with the fir trees in our front yard @jastwins. They were actually taken down by two different men, because the trees died different years.

In both cases we got better rates by allowing the fellows to keep the wood, but the first fellow ended up absconding with money from the fellow across the street and not returning to do promised work so we had to find another guy for the second.

We're planning to test the waters on our front tree trimming before asking for a bid on the dead tree in the back yard. It got struck by lightning quite a few years ago. A fellow wanted $2,000 a few years ago to remove it and we couldn't afford it. :eek:

We know whoever removes it will want to take out our willow, as well. It looks really bad and is nearly dead, but it is the only shade for our patio. :(

We still need to remove the stump of the pine that was planted too close to our bedroom foundation, but DH should be able to handle that -- if he ever gets around to it.

We've got two overgrown juniper bushes by the front door which I've ALWAYS wanted to replace because they are too big and constantly growing over the handrails, but DH won't consider it.

This house had WAY too many trees when we bought it. We've removed several small ones ourselves, and we sold at least seven or eight quaking aspens from our front yard when we first moved here. Our front yard is small and DID NOT have enough space for more than a dozen trees!

The next door neighbor was still living in the home he built when we bought ours. He claimed the wife of a couple who owned this house was having an affair with her husband's best friend. That fellow owned a nursery, so each time they wanted a tryst, he'd bring by a tree and plant it!

Have no idea if that is true, but it does seem to explain how we ended up buying a forest. o_O

8. grandma608

grandma608 Active Member Trader Group

we are in the process of getting new siding, but as soon as that project is finished we have to look into getting our front yard tree cut down . did not realize just how expensive that project will be

9. Gardencook

We don't have to do an entire siding job since our house is brick, but we need to replace the trim on our house. Since we also need a new roof (OUCH!) we'll probably have the two done at the same time. Haven't even started to get those bids yet and are terrified to think of the cost.

Jorainna, jcdamomma and Sherri1480 like this.
  10. grandma608

grandma608 Active Member Trader Group

we just did our roof in shingles. it cost us 5100 for a 5 bedroom house. the shingle siding will be a bit more expensive even though we only need to do the front and the back

11. Gardencook

I'm cringing to think what our roof will cost. A standard asphalt shingle roof costs about $10,000 here in the Pacific Northwest. We've got a cedar shakes and since we don't know much about roofing we have no idea which will cost less/what will be wisest.

Cedar shakes are even more expensive, but they are installed differently than asphalt, so I suspect they'll have to do a lot of extra work to convert to asphalt. I've never been all that comfortable with wood shakes when wildfires are such a problem around here, but they came with the house so we lived with it.

A lot of people are going with metal roofs around here, but my mother couldn't get decent television reception after she got metal siding and I can only imagine what a metal roof would do to our already problematic t.v. and Internet reception. :eek:

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  12. jastwins

So glad we still have firewood since it is still cold here at night in the northeast. Temps were in the 30's and low 40's at night and we have never had fires in the month of May since we moved into this house ago. Supposedly, we should warm up by the end of the week, but I will keep the fireplace going for now. It also gives us a chance to burn the wood scraps from the garage project.
    I finally received the refund for my crazy thermometer and used my amazon credits to order 2 beach chairs and a jar of cinnamon. The beach chairs were on back order and were over $7 off the regular price that I saw a couple of days earlier. I wanted to get the chairs in CVS, but decided against it after I saw these on Amazon. Also I ordered a 15 oz jar of cinnamon since I could not find any in the stores. It was $7.82 for a 15 oz jar of cinnamon, Amazon brand.
    My OOP when everything is delivered was $6.56, including tax and after gift cards.

13. jastwins

@Gardencook, I found this article comparing cedar and asphalt shingles.

https://www.cedarroofcoatings.com/post/2018/12/05/cedar-roof-vs-asphalt-shingle-roof

Out in Eastern Long Island, many houses are built with cedar roofs and cedar shingles. We did not use cedar and were basically told we were lowering the value of our home. Personally, I do not like the look of cedar shingles once they weather. They look nice when first installed but look dirty after a couple of years exposed to the elements. Many homeowner do not maintain or treat them. Some paint them and I like that look a little better. Since you have more severe weather in Idaho, cedar is definitely more durable.
    I have seen a couple of houses with metal roofs and I think that it is expensive too, but lasts much longer. Here is an article comparing metal and cedar.

https://cittrix.com/pros-and-cons-between-cedar-roof-vs-metal-roof/

14. Gardencook

Thank you for the articles @jastwins!

Logged into PinchMe in time to get offers of three products today -- Yardley Body Wash, Lumify Eye Drops and Biosteel Hydration.

A Walmart survey program started issuing instant cards and sent me three $5 gift cards. DH ran over to transfer them to a plastic card today and I had him pick up a magazine while he was there so we could use a SB offer which was a mm.

I've actually had several other offers I would have rather done this week, but the stores are out of necessary items which has made them tough to complete.

15. jastwins

I forgot to post that on Saturday I went to Dollar Tree and was able to find Apple cider vinegar for $1, as well as regular vinegar. In the IGA, on my island, they wanted $9.39 for a quart of organic vinegar so I passed. I was able to find some cleaning products, food products, dog treats, sandwich bags and envelopes and paid $27.95 for 26 items.

16. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I went to Dollar Tree too. We needed a graduation card and I heard a great review about some vegan soap sold there. Picked up 4 bars and the card for $5. Did the Patak's sauce mm at Walmart for SB and got free Pringles from Ibotta. Went to O'Reilly's again for more mm Armor All. Also stopped at Kroger for the mm Cottage Cheese. Sent the wrong receipt to SB and of course instead of it telling me whoops and to rescan, it said we need to take a look. Now I have to wait a few days until they deny me, then send in the right receipt. The O'Reilly's receipt again didn't take right away and will have to wait for that too. I like the instant points. I went to Kroger yesterday because I wanted the Powerade that was on sale, it was the last day. Of course they didn't have any, so I should have just gone today, which starts the first mega sale in a while. Our county had no cases for a week, but just got another 2 in the past 2 days. I get a little brave, then pull back again.

Sherri1480, Cathy, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  17. Gardencook

Our store came up with a "Temporarily Unavailable" sticker this week under the large containers, so we haven't been able to do this week's offer.

If the store simply runs out of something and the next shipment will restock it, the shelf stays empty with no comment. However, it seems like whenever those stickers show up it takes WEEKS for the store to get it back in stock. The stickers were "policy" long before Covid-19.

Hated to hear about the sticker when DH said it wasn't at the store. He checked again yesterday and the same sticker remains. Considering the store STILL doesn't have a decent supply of diapers, cleaning and paper products after all these weeks, that doesn't bode well for the cottage cheese -- and that store is the ONLY one in town that sells it. :(

18. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

For the first time since early March, hand sanitizer showed up on the Kroger shelves. Little 8 oz. bottles for $2.99 and then a bin of the little 2 oz. scented personal sizes with the straps on them for .99 ... so I guess that is encouraging.

Meat is another whole story. My niece in Indianapolis reported to her horror, that pot roasts were like $27 ... I used to buy skinless boneless chicken thighs for around $5 a package and then they went up to the $10 range but are NOW $19 a package!! I did get a pack of 4 pork chops for $4.93 though.

My ex-daughter in law has been buying her meats at a Mexican hole in the wall type grocery. She has been doing very well price-wise with a good selection.

jcdamomma likes this.
  19. jastwins

Citi-space sent me a $10 Amazon gc for my April participation. It is already applied to my Amazon account.
    @Jorainna, your post confirms my biggest fears. Higher meat prices and very limited selection. So glad I bought D2 her flank steak on sale last week, $.599 /lb and limit of 2 packs. I cut it up and she can have 7 meals out of it. She likes to prepare it a certain way and if she cooks the flank steak, that is one less thing for me to do. I have a small stock of meat in my freezer and will venture out this week to see if I can get more. The summer worries me and if I do not have a job, it will be even worse. UGH...
    I used a 75 point sb rebate to get a $3 reward card on sale for 125 points.
    On my 1Q app, I earned $4.25 answering questions and used these funds to order rebate forms from ebay.

20. Gardencook

Our one store had big signs plastered all over yesterday limiting everyone to two identical items in the meat department (mostly chicken and pork) -- but the sister store didn't have signs in the meat department that I noticed.

I don't know if the one store knows something is coming or if it simply hasn't gotten around to taking down the signs from a few weeks ago.

DH has been doing the shopping the past several weeks when "the rules" only wanted one family member to shop at a time. I had a cold at the start of the restrictions so couldn't shop and now he has one, so I'm the designated shopper again. It is the first time I've really done much except create shopping lists for weeks.

I mentioned the signs to DH and only got a blank stare. He obviously didn't know what I was talking about. Since we were well-stocked, he hasn't been in the middle of panic buying and didn't notice -- even though he kept coming home without chicken and store employees told him they were out. :rolleyes:

I saw this news story a day or two ago, but the headline sounded better than the details I got when I read the story (I've included a link in the headline) ...

Tyson cuts some beef prices as coronavirus spikes grocery store costs
    Tyson is lowering some prices it charges grocery stores and restaurants after a surge in meat costs, due to disruptions at meatpacking plants.

The story sounded more like a publicity stunt to get headlines than actual news. It didn't hit the wire until late Thursday and the price cut was going to expire Saturday -- today. It does admit that beef prices have been soaring, however. :(

A discount warehouse food store in Salt Lake that purchases meat wholesale to sell to the public also posted this to Facebook a few days ago:

"Word is beef is stretching thin, thus raising prices on other meats including chicken so I purchased deep to have a large supply available at affordable prices!"

Moderators: KimShaw