What are you getting Cheap or FREE in May 2020

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, May 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Here we are in May, the pandemic still upon us, and oh how our world and lives are changed!
    Longer lines at the stores, six feet apart following taped or chalk lines, and some shortages still exist! Now we are paying full price for items we used to get cheap or free.
    Last month, we did find some deals so please post when you find one. I am curious to see how and if the economy will do after the shutdowns. Good luck as your states start to re-open and stay healthy and safe.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  2. jastwins

This morning I was credited 3000 points by SB and cashed out 2150 points for a $25 Amazon card. It turns out I had a 50 pt rebate from last month. The card is ready to ad to my amazon account.

3. jastwins

Yesterday, on the way home from my mom's house, I shopped at Aldi's. The store had no line to get in and I was able to get 5 packages of meat and lots of veggies, plus some frozen & dairy items, 3 bags of chocolate chips, 2 bags of flour and sugar. It was quicker and I bought 41 items for $108.08. I was done in 30 mins and headed home (an hour from that store). I hope to be stocked up for a while, but of course, the kids will ask for something I did not buy!
    I did make one stop at Big Lots, a location I usually do not shop at, and it was crowded plus I could not find some items, so I just left the store.

Today, I went through my emails and I credited $36 in Amazon credits to my account from SB and One voice panel. I have another $25 gc I can cash out for on SB but I am deciding on Amazon or Cvs. Another email let me authorize the physical shipment of my $20 Visa Gc from SBKC. Later, I will get my receipts and upload them to Receipt Hog (very close to cashing out ) and receipt pal.

4. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Sunday was reset on the week for the SB Cottage Cheese deal -- which is now good through May, so we did another round of that today.

DH didn't follow the instructions about receipts I put on the list, so that got to be a bit of a challenge at the store, but we finally got it worked out.

Also got a code for a free Redbox movie that expired today. Eventually we did get our hands on a movie, but what a hassle!

The first machine DH checked didn't have the movie we wanted. The second claimed it didn't recognize his card even though that's the one on the account.

Called customer service and ran into quite a language barrier with the representative with whom we dealt. She had apparently never heard of the English word "life" as in "A Hidden Life." She wanted to rent us a movie with "luck" in the name and then she kept trying to add the letter "O" to the spelling. :confused:

I had my account up on the computer screen and while I was trying to check it suddenly looked like I had rented the movie to our card instead of DH using the code at the box. Screen went wild, then Microsoft wouldn't allow me to use ANY of my browsers. They were all "Security risks." :mad:

Knew immediately Microsoft had messed me up again -- it has done that at least three to five times a day EVERY DAY for the past week. This weekend's Security Updates have been AWFUL.

So we tried to explain to the Redbox gal what was going on and asked her to check the account, but she didn't understand so hung up on us.

Had to reboot -- which took forever -- in order to learn whether we had paid for a movie without using the code. Then I checked my dashboard and sure enough, Microsoft had downloaded another Security Update at that moment. Still Microsoft insists it IS giving me notifications before it does these things. I'm just too blind to see them. And this is the second computer where I haven't gotten notifications before shutdowns, so it isn't simply a problem on one machine.

When DH went out the last time and finally obtained the free movie, he also stopped to use a B1G1 milkshake coupon and since they also had coupons we bought $1.25 burgers and $1 fries to make it a "lunch" that came a couple hours later than we'd planned.

Too much chaos of one day ...

Anyway, once my blood pressure gets a bit more normal, we'll have a free movie to enjoy.

5. jastwins

I was a monthly prize winner in March for the Financial Horizons community and I was finally awarded my $10 prize. I opted for an amazon gc and it is already applied to my account.

I printed a settlement from the Gap and it is a $6 coupon to use at Gap or Banana Republic good until 4/21/21. Let's just hope the pandemic does not make these stores go out of business. J Crew just filed for bankruptcy today.

Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  6. jastwins

I used Amazon gcs to pay in full for a Mother's day gift for my mom. After spending a week at her house, I realized she did not have a gel mat for the kitchen and bought a 48 x 20 inch brown mat for her kitchen. I hope she likes it and that it helps with the pain in her back and legs. She loves to cook and spends a lot of time standing at the kitchen counter preparing meals.
    For my sister, I bought a smaller mat in the same color and if mom does not like hers, she can switch with my sister or my sister can have both!! Either way, I hope they like them. For the second mat, I paid $7.19 OOP with tax and shipping was free on both mats using my PRIME membership. I am also sending Amazon gcs to my sister and SIL. Hopefully, everything will arrive on time. Fingers crossed...

Sherri1480, Cathy, Jorainna and 3 others like this.
  7. Gardencook

Considering the obstacles this year, we did pretty well with the Albertsons Monopoly game. It was a lot of tedious busy work feeding in codes and we still haven't gotten all our game pieces sorted, but we got more free grocery items than I ever remember getting in past games including batteries, several loaves of French bread, a couple cans of vegetables, two or three cartons of sour cream, several yogurts, all sorts of flavored waters, baby carrots, spray cooking oil, aluminum foil, tomato sauce, salad dressing, beef jerky, a couple boxes of organic animal crackers and of course several inevitable doughnuts.

We also got about $6 in Just 4U cash wins by feeding in codes. We picked up a $5 gift card earlier in the game using tokens and I actually had enough tokens last night to cash out for a $25 gift card -- if there had been any left. Since the gift cards were all gone we settled for more food items and a few sweepstakes entries to finish off the tokens.

We've also got a BUNCH of B1G1 bowling games. I gave up on trying to get DH into a bowling alley years ago after I only succeeded once. Picked up an unimaginable number of Shutterfly codes and a couple not-too-thrilling Redbox deals.

We had enough instant win ticket coupons that we should have gotten quite a pile of tickets today, but they were giving out 10x tickets yesterday and had run out by today.

8. jastwins

On Receipt hog,I cashed out for $5 Amazon gc, still to be dispensed. Yesterday I added 2 more $3 Amazon gcs I forgot we’re still pending. I cashed out on paid viewpoint for $17.38 and opted for a Walmart GC.
    After some difficulty, I finally got it added to my Walmart pay.

9. jastwins

Financial Horizons just sent me two emails for $10 each for completing a survey and for signing up again. Just have to decide what Gift cards I want to get.

Sherri1480, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  10. Gardencook

Picked up more Indian sauces and sponges for the SB deals earlier in the week.

Also got a $100 gas card that we ordered a short while ago. We generally only use that card when we travel -- especially Pendleton, Oregon where name brand is the same price -- or lower -- than cheaper gas.

It is cheaper gassing up at our supermarket when we're here at home. However, our card was getting pretty low when we last traveled that direction a year ago so it was a good time to restock when I had enough rewards points to get one free.

Had a problem with the computer reading our receipt on a beer rebate, but I wrote the company and the representative told me they'll be sending us a check. When that arrives we'll have gotten a six-pack free for buying a six-pack. We don't have NBPR deals here in Idaho.

Sherri1480, mtka, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  11. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Found a few things in the markdown bin on my last Kroger run. I will use the cards for stocking stuffers and the cosmetics in a birthday gift.

Redeemed a customer bonus digital for free peanut butter and one for free Doritos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sherri1480, Cathy, jcdamomma and 3 others like this.
  12. jastwins

Awesome deals @Jorainna !!!

I just received another email for my settlement payment from Visio tv. It gave you several options fir payment. I chose amazon and had $17.99 added directly to my amazon account. Other choices included PayPal, Best buy, MasterCard plus one other I cannot remember. I line the options they give you now instead of waiting for a paper check.

13. jastwins

I opted for a $10 Walmart card and a $10 Amazon card from the financial horizons company and printed one out today and credited the amazon card to my account.
    My $5 Receipt hog amazon payment was credited today.

14. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I did a SB run today while out looking for a mother's day cake for my mom. Went to Walmart, man what a zoo! Did get 2 magazines, Patak's sauce, and Claritin, all money makers. Went to AutoZone and O'Reilly's too. Picked up some more Armor All and Eagle One, also money makers. Not sure I will go back into that Walmart anytime soon. Way too crowded. Between 2 Krogers and the Walmart, got everything on my short grocery list. Not happy about having to go to both Kroger's to find a cake though. It's was rainy and gloomy, I guess everyone is out shopping too.

15. jastwins

We are still using our free firewood and wood scraps from the garage project to heat our house since the weather will be in the 30's at night this weekend. Crazy weather for sure in MAY! It will snow in upstate NY and other parts of the northeast. It is the first time we have had snow in NY in May in over 40 years. Nothing is normal anymore.

16. jastwins

Today, the family of the daycare kids brought us free lunch and they do so weekly. The run an organization that provides meals for essential workers on our island. I selected the chicken salad sandwich, diet coke and chips.

Since Crankie paid for 2 loads of wood that he dropped off at the dump, they let him bring a third load for free. Every little bit helps.

17. jastwins

@mtka for the Claritin and magazine purchases add your receipt to Fetch for a good number of points 2500 points for Claritin and 1000 points for people magazine

my referral code is TW0HJ.

Jorainna, jcdamomma and Gardencook like this.
  18. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Tuesday we went to a bulk food store that also sells case items & items that are near expiration dates.
    One of the items I picked up was a snack box pro healthy snack box for $4.50.It has 37 snacks.
    I looked the item up on sbp website & the same box sells for $39.99 shipped.
    I will post more from that trip later.
    Thursday I ran into an aldi for milk & a few other items.
    I felt fortunate that the gallon of skim milk was $2.29...(on Tuesday at the bulk food stores, milk was no bargain at $4.59 per gallon). I found canned sardines in mustard for $.25 a can, green beans $.25 per can & Mac & cheese for $.10 a box. This was in the promotional item aisle. And it was not the aldi I usually shop...this is a larger store & while the rest of the stores in that area were very crowded...like the floodgates had been opened, this store was quiet and peaceful. Which was good because I was spent after dodging the non-social-distancing people at a couple other stores.
    I am refusing to go to Walmart still.

19. Gardencook

I forgot to mention a few small deals we got this past week.

We got Greek yogurt for 23 cents each. They were on sale for 88 cents and I had four printables and a digital for 55 cents/one.

We also picked up some Matzo Ball Soup for 25 cents a box yesterday at the discount store.

20. Gardencook

Did the SB 24-ounce Lemi Shine offer today. Still a mm, but if I'm not mistaken our store was charging at least 30 to 50 cents more than a week a couple weeks ago when I considered buying it.

Hate to see inflation kicking in, but I'm afraid it is here. :(

Moderators: KimShaw