What are you getting Cheap or Free in July 2020?

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, Jul 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Happy July and Happy Fourth of July to all!
    As some stores start to reopen, check out clearance deals on unsold merchandise. The holiday weekend will surely bring more bargains.
    How are you adjusting to life in the new normal? A year ago, I was annoyed they got rid of plastic bags and plastic straws....now life has thrown us a curveball.

Post any deal great or small. I look forward to reading your posts.

Jorainna, Sherri1480 and jcdamomma like this.
  2. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well, this was Monday, but it's still good. Kroger has Cakebites on sale for $3, $1.50 Ibotta rebate and $1.50 KCB rebate, x5 = 5 free packages. I also got 5 bottles of Suave shampoo, 3 professional, 1 kids, and 1 men's. Combined with Kroger digital coupons and Ibotta, they were free.

Still loving the Free Kid's Meal at Wendy's with a mobile order. Total for a 99¢ chicken sandwich for me and a hamburger, fries, drink, and stupid toy for my mom = $1.05. We did the same thing at Burger King, but because we have a gift card, I have to go inside there. I wish I could add the gc as payment on the BK app, but no dice. BK has much better toys that we collect and either give to my cousin's kids, or put in the shoeboxes at Christmas. Wendy's are really bad, just a little plastic box with a sticker inside. BK has crayola playdough stuff.

3. jastwins

Well, how about free money! I checked my account and saw a much bigger balance than I expected. It seems my bank job gave everyone a bonus including me! As a part-time seasonal employee I did not ever think I would get it, but I did. Stashing this away for expenses related to getting the girls to college in the fall.

Jorainna, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 4 others like this.
  4. grandma608

grandma608 Active Member Trader Group

congratulations Jastwins on the new found bonus

5. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

One of the pharmacies in the town my mother lives in was sold to CVS. I saw construction going on there the other day & saw the new sign today so I pulled in & picked up a box of Special K cereal for $1.89
    (reg. $5.29).
    No red coupon machine there...but the young man at the register was kind enough to find the correct coupon for me when I scanned my card.
    It seems to be a scaled down version of the stores in STL...but I can pick up basics there.

Jorainna, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 3 others like this.
  6. jastwins

My mom recently was prescribed a new medication for her diabetes. When she went to CVS for her prescription, the clerk told her they had a coupon code and used it so she paid $5.01 and not $125. I looked online and saw that they had a website for the medication and tried to get her a coupon. I was finally able to print one out for myself but not her. She asked again at the pharmacy about the discount and was given a number to call. After my sister called, the company gave her a coupon code that made the medication $33 a month and not the $250 for 3 mos that they wanted to charge her through her insurance. Always check online to see if the company making the drug has any coupon codes for you to use.
    SBKC will send me a$20 physical Visa rewards card for my June participation.
    I have been shopping at TJ Maxx on my lunch hour and getting great deals on face cleansers, moisturizers, make up wipes, essential oils, a hot/cold pack, masks, cards and soaps. Most products were $1 or $2 and some were .70 or .30 cents. Lots of clearance sales going on and there are many markdowns throughout the store.

7. flowerkitty

I visited a Joann’s fabrics & crafts store yesterday.
    They did not have the seasonal item I was looking for, but I found a birthday item for my daughter.
    After I finished checking out, the cashier said I could choose an item from 1 of the 4 tables by the door for free. There was lots of cool picture frames,kids fun crafts,Cricut stuff, yarn and glass canisters with lids. I chose a glass canister - I thought it would be good for snacks,tea bags ,beans or any other kitchen item I need to organize.

8. flowerkitty

Check your CVS app this week for a free item everyday this coming week starting on 7/5.

9. jastwins

I cashed out for a $25 Amazon gc from SB yesterday and applied it to my account. Only wish I hit the order button last night since they are now sold out of my paper towels that were the best deal. :oops:

10. flowerkitty

In the CVS app:
    Sunday @ CVS....free CVS 50 ct ibuprofen or acetaminophen
    Monday @ CVS....free bag of gold emblem gummy bears

Jorainna, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  11. jastwins

@flowerkitty I wish I had time to get these deals.
    I may go to Cvs tomorrow but am not close enough to go every day.
    I shopped at King Kullen and the had b1g1 on Boca chick’ n or burgers. I bought a bag of Tortillyahs for 1.99 after coupon. Wise chips were b1g1. Three bottles of Gatorade were .49 cents each on sale if I spent over $25. I picked up some other sale items and spent $56 .

12. jastwins

Yesterday, I stopped in Petco and found 2 4 lb bags of a brand name dog food for $2 each.
    I found some more make up and skin care plus some bag clips on clearance at TJ Maxx. I got out of work late and did not have time to run to CVS. Maybe tomorrow.

Jorainna, Sherri1480, mtka and 3 others like this.
  13. jastwins

I missed out on a 1000 point remesh survey with SB but my trip to the pharmacy lasted almost 45 minutes to pick up one prepscription.
    On the bright side, I did get an email for $45 tango gift card for doing a financial horizons survey. YEAH.

14. jastwins

Finally, I figured out how to print out my gift cards from the tilla troop site. For completing an in-home survey, I chose a $50 Sephora gc and $10 CVS gc plus (2) $10 TJmaxx /Marshalls gc. After not understanding what to do, I finally received an email from them and was able to print them out at home.
    My niece will get the Sephora gc for her birthday and the rest are for me!

From the finanacial horizons site, I cashed out my $45 for a Walmart gc and loaded it to my Walmart pay account. Easy enough.
    Ten minutes ago I had nothing and now I have $125 dollars in gcs!!!

15. jastwins

Late last night, I redeemed 8,000 of my Marlboro code points for a free pair of sunglasses from Nectar. By next month I should have enough points for a gc from either door dash or uber. I will give it to one of twins ---one that annoys me the least. :p My state, NY, just passed some law against cigarette coupons so I will no longer get any Marlboro or Virginia slims coupons. I used them in trades so that is one less source I have. :eek:
    I deposited my birthday checks and a settlement check in my holiday club account. I would love to have some money for Christmas and decided this is the year.

16. jastwins

The Amazon preview team sent me a $10 Amazon gc for completing a survey and I credited it to my account.
    Tonight I braved the Hamptons traffic and went to CVS after work. My quarterly ecr of $6, coupons and a gc for $10 helped me get a good deal. I needed 2 24 ct packs of JTB water and CVS had a great sale on Always Infinity pads 2/$8 and i bought 4 boxes. I found on 75% clearance 2 Dickinson's witch hazel acne pads for $1.89 each. One of the 2 jars had a $2 coupon attached making one of them free. Gevalia coffee pods were on sale for $4.99 and I bought 2. Annie's fruit snacks were on sale for $1.99 as were NV peanut & Almond bars and I bought 2.
    Digital coupons for $2/8 coffee purchase, Always $4/2 plus $2 of $16 feminine products, Annie's .50 cents came off. I used 2 $4 coupons for Always, $2 off Dickinsons, $1.00 off 2 NV granola bars.
    My total OOP for 13 items with tax and bottle deposits was $9.36 after $10 gc and my quarterly ecr of $6.
    At TJ Maxx today, I found some clothes on clearance and have to take 2 items back tomorrow. I used $20 in gcs making 2 of the 3 items I am keeping free.

17. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

@jastwins ... I am not liking this "new normal" or "curveball" at all. The stores here are still out of so many things. Rice of all things, especially my husband's stand by of Boil 'n Bag rice has been next to non-existent. I cannot find any no salt added green beans, either. Spray Lysol and the wipes have never come back to the shelves here. I have found two bottles of rubbing alcohol over the last three months.

Meats have been really high for the most part. About a week ago though, turkey burgers showed up and went on sale for $3.97 a package! Tht same week the 2 lb. carton of strawberries were $1.88.

Then this last week, and I didn't know until Tuesday when our weekly sales ends, but the pork tenderloin went on sale for .99 lb.!! Last minute dash to the store on Tuesday and I got two of them. Also, the blueberries were $2.29 for the 18 oz. size which was great deal.

Then in the mark down bin they had Snickers candy bars for .25 ... had to run out to the car and get my tear pad .50/2 coupons! That was a nice freebie to stash away for the grandkids. :)

I know a new mega started yesterday at Kroger. I haven't had a chance to see what all can be gotten on it ...

18. jastwins

I ordered wipes on Amazon, their brand, and it took over 2 weeks to arrive. I have not seen Lysol Spray anywhere since the beginning of the year. My IGA has Clorox spray for $6.99 and I bought it a few weeks ago. The I g a on my Island no longer has sales. This annoys me when the milk I buy there went bad yesterday and had an expiration date of July 15th! The selection of goods online has dwindled and I did not even bother placing my last order.

19. flowerkitty

I went to CVS today & picked up one eight-ounce bag of Gold Emblem Fruit & Nut Trail Mix for free (today’s freebie).
    While I was there, I returned the 2 items they talked my husband into buying yesterday. :eek: They subbed the last 2 days items that were supposed to be free ....and charged him over $8.
    ( He is still a work in progress...but kudos to him for giving it a try). He did great with the free gummy bears on Monday.
    My DD on the other hand is well trained in collecting her points on loyalty cards. Back in March she returned a bunch of drinks to the convenience store that did not add up right on her receipt and after showing the cashier her app, they apologized,made the transaction correct, and gave her 2 coupons for free large pizzas.

20. jastwins

@flowerkitty, I agree with you that we must scrutinize everything nowadays. Retail establishments were posting hiring signs and customer service had been replaced with "I don't know"or a wrong explanation. These new hires were not properly trained. When I get my receipt, I try to make sure everything was done correctly since I am probably the only one who cares!
    Today I returned 2 items and purchased 2 items at TJmaxx and received a refund of .83 cents. On clearance I found yoga pants (not sure about them but may keep them) and a fry pan rack that I am very happy I bought. I redid the corner cabinet and am pleased with the easier access to the lids, pots and pans. Two other standing racks were purchase at T/j maxx and 2 large standing wire shelves were purchased at a yard sale. I removed one pot and finally have everything fit nicely.

Moderators: KimShaw