What are you getting Cheap or FREE in February 2020?

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, Feb 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Glad you were able to get your rate situation taken care of with the insurance company @Fillies Fan.

We finally got our money back from the car rental company on the tire that suddenly blew last autumn. We were assured by two or three representatives on the road that they'd reimburse us $200 -- even though the tire cost slightly more than that, however, they refused to give us any written confirmation of that, claimed they couldn't send e-mails and would only send a text about the form that needed to be filed.

It turned out to be quite a fight with the rental desk that was SUCH a pain about trying to force us into an economy car instead of the full-size SUV we rented and had already paid for trying to place extra charges on our credit card three times even though the gas button broke the first time we filled the car! That was the place that finally VERY reluctantly gave us the SUV -- only to have the tire blow less than 100 miles later.

DH had to write the CEO twice to finally get reimbursed for the tire. Apparently, the first CEO he wrote to quit during that period, so only the second letter was ever acknowledged.

The other rental desks we dealt with -- including our local one -- were at least friendly and helpful about the numerous problems. Even the CEO routed us to helpful customer service people, but the problems caused by that one troublesome city's desk combined with numerous car problems were enough to turn us off the car rental company permanently.

Today I asked DH to take care of a couple digital coupons that were going to expire if we didn't use them. We had a special $5/$5 coupon they sent us last week. There was also a coupon for $2 off CLIF Granola and I suspected it might be on sale. Unfortunately, that store won't allow you to check prices online without filling out a delivery order -- and our store doesn't do delivery.

It turned out the granola was on sale, but you saved even more if you bought two bags, so DH decided to go that route. He also picked up a few additional deals he found.

I considered the coupons to have come off the granola, since we would have purchased the other items anyway. Eight dollars minus the $2 and the $5 coupon made the granola two bags for $1. Not a bad deal.

Jorainna, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  2. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Last night, I went to several stores and did find some deals and frees.

My first stop was in Dick's sporting goods, that was located near the Bob's STore that had recently closed. The sneakers I ordered from Amazon were returned yesterday (had to pay $4.95 shipping :eek: after free delivery). On the clearance rack, I found another pair of Asics sneakers, 1/2 size larger and bought those. It had a pink dot on the box and that meant they were 50% off the reduced price, so I paid $22.47 with tax OOP for Asics gel sneakers. Better deal than Amazon even with the return and these fit better .
    Shoprite had some great coupon deals so I stopped there too. Two Garnier conditioners and 2 Whole blends conditioners were 2/$7 and if you bought 4 ShopRite gave you an additional $6 off, making them $2 each. I used the 2 $4 coupons from Sunday inserts making 4 shampoo and conditioners all FREE. I really wanted hair style products but the shelves were cleaned out. A Right Guard deodorant was free after sale and $1 coupon. One of my 5 Weight Watchers meals (on sale $1.88 each) was free after coupon that was for $2 off 5 . I found SKinny pop rice cakes and had a fREE coupon so I finally used that before it expired. Vitamins were on sale I bought Osteo Joint health 80 ct for $10.74 and used a $5 coupon. Nature's Bounty hair and nail were $4.44 and I had a $2 coupon. Auntie ann's pretzel were $3.49 and I had a $1 coupon plus a digital $1 coupon and I used this for an SB instore rebate. My OOP for everything was $16.84 for 13 items.
    In Dollar tree, I bought Valentines cards and 2 bags of Halls Vitamin C defense drops. I used a $1.25 coupon off 2 making one FREE.
    At Bath and Body works, I used coupons to get a FREE hand cream and used a coupon to get 20% off a full size body spray that was $7 (regularly $15.50) with a coupon. I paid $6.13 with tax.
    Next door, at Kohl's I found 2 Carter's outfits on my great niece and nephew plus a shirt for myself and all were on clearance. After using $10 kohls cash, $5 kohls rewards, and 15% coupon, I paid $9.07 inc tax for all 3 items.
    CVS was across the street from this shopping center and I used ecr to get some good deals. Two NYX lip glosses were on sale for $11.98, get back $10 ecr. I used a $4/$12 cvs q, $4 and $3 ecr to pay $2.01 inc tax and received $10 ecr.

My next purchase included 4 more L'oreal hair care (some great deals with my 2 coupons for $4 & $3 and digital Q $3), 3 Progresso soups were $4, 4 boxes of NV granola bars were $1.99 each, 2 Pepperidge farm gold fish were $4. I used $2/$8 granola bars, making one box free, another box was .99 cents after 2 coupons for .50 each came off as well. My total for 13 items after using $3 beauty bucks and $15 ecr was $2.26 (that included $1.30 in tax), My purchase earned me $5 ecr and I will use it next time with my $5 gc I did not get to use this trip. These 2 purchases should earn more $3 more in beauty bucks. It was getting late and I would have bought more, but I needed to get home.

3. jastwins

This afternoon, I participated in an hour long online interview survey and will receive a $45 amazon gc.

greenfrog57, Cathy, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  4. jastwins

Today, in the mail, I received a belated Christmas gift from my friend and used the Amazon gc plus what I had on my account to purchase food/snack items and I finally ordered a Roku streaming stick w remote for $24. My OOP for all 21 items was $5.73

greenfrog57, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  5. Gardencook

Congrats on your Roku @jastwins! I think you'll love it once you get used to it. We're watching our Roku right now as we eat a late dinner. ;)

6. Gardencook

We picked up B1G1 Quarter Pounders with Cheese for lunch. DH also got a senior coffee for 47 cents.

Later we stopped at Starbucks and picked up hot drinks using free gift cards earned with hotel stays.

I got a Teavana Citrus Jade Tea and he got a Pike Place coffee.

DH wanted Veranda, but that location is still trying to get rid of its Christmas light brew so wouldn't make him a Veranda. They said they had way too much leftover Christmas coffee.

Perhaps that is because no one liked it? It is FEBRUARY not December Starbucks! :mad:

7. Gardencook

Today we headed home from Boise where we traveled to attend a family funeral.

We stopped at Starbucks along the road and picked up hot beverages. DH got coffee and I got tea. Both cost no money OOP due to free gift cards we've gotten on hotel stays.

For late lunch/dinner we got a half-price Chicken Parmesan Platter which seemed like an economical choice since there was enough for another meal which we brought back in take-home containers.

The meal came with a free slice of cheesecake which was HUGE. We brought that home along with the chicken.

When the waitress ran our loyalty card we had a free appetizer which would expire on the 28th of the month, so we got an order of Mozzarella sticks -- most of which we also had to bring home with us.

We had to complain during our hotel stay. It was a non-smoking hotel, yet they were smoking in the room next to us. The rooms had a door to make them adjoining rooms and the smell kept coming under the door getting very strong.

The desk clerk came down the hall, but claimed she couldn't tell for sure it was that room so nothing was done. However, the people left at about 3:30 a.m. the next morning and the scent of smoke got much less after that.

DH mentioned it again at check-out when they asked how we liked our room. The desk clerk didn't deny that it had happened, so we suspect the maids had found a room full of smoke when they arrived to clean.

DH checked phone messages at Starbucks and there was a message on our home phone from the hotel. Apparently they plan to add another 2,000 bonus points to our account, so we suspect it must be over the smoke issue.

8. jastwins

I stopped in CVS yesterday since my $10 carepass was available on my card. However, I neglected to use a $5 ecr I had in my envelope and left home a $5 gc. :oops:
    CVS had a sale on Arm & Hammer detergent, buy 1 get 2 free. I knew i had 2 coupons but could only find one, so I bought 2 50 ounce liquid detergents and one bag of Laundry packs and used the $1 coupon making all 3 cost $6.79.
    On 2 Covergirl mascara, $6.99 each, I used 2 CVS coupons for $4 off any Covergirl cosmetic and $2 off $8 Covergirl purchase. I also had 2 $3 mfg coupons on any Covergirl eye purchase. They ended up costing .49 cents each and I got back $5 ecr. Charmin 6 ct mega bath tissue was on sale for $4.99 and I had $3 cvs coupon plus a .25 cent coupon on my card. A box of Golden emblem salted caramel granola bars were on clearance for .84 and Del Monte apple cinnamon fruit oatmeal was on clearance for $2.24. I bought 2 belvita biscuit and Dunkin Decaf coffee pods were finally on sale for $4.99 and I purchase 1 box to have on hand. Kinder Joy Bueno bar was .54 cents after coupon and sale. I used $10 carepass and paid $17.28 with tax and got back $5 ecr. Just annoyed that I forgot the $5 ecr I had with me, bu with about 40 + coupons in my envelope, I overlooked it.
    In Target, I found Greenies cat treats for $2.49 and used a $2 coupon making them .49 cents. I picked up another Kinderbueno bar and submitted the receipt on SB for 50 points plus I used a .50 cent coupon. I stopped by to see d3 on the way home and picked up some Goya black beans, chickpeas (.89 cents each) and 2 (1 qt) cartons of market pantry Vegetable broth for $1.29 each. We also picked up some marked down Valentine's snacks and chocolates for D3.

Today I loaded my receipts on receiptpal and cashed out for a $5 amazon gc. From Thred up, I moved $35 to my paypal account and will use it to make my paypal credit payment.

9. Gardencook

Forgot to mention that Natural Grocers was giving away free large chocolate bars to members on Friday.

We don't have a store here, so I rarely get in on those deals. However, we were eating dinner near the store in Boise and needed to pick up something for lunch the next day so picked up our free chocolate bar while we were there.

10. jastwins

Today, I worked at my bank job and visited King Kullen on my lunch hour to do some coupon shopping.
    Thanks to some good sales, I was able to use 5 double dollar coupons and got 6 items free and one for .50 cents. Two boxes of St. Joseph's 36 count aspirin were free after sale price, $1.99 and 2 double dollar coupons. Four 1 liter Poland spring sparkling waters were free after dollar day sale and 2 double $1/2 coupons. A 75 ounce bottle of Xtra laundry detergent with oxi clean was .50 cents after sale and double dollar coupon. I plan on going back tomorrow and getting some more dairy items.

I posted the promised $45 amazon card I earned last week for doing an online survey.
    On receipt hog, I cashed out for a $5 amazon gc. I tried a new app and earned a second amazon gc and just need to get it posted.

11. Gardencook

We were having problems with our Internet this afternoon. It was MUCH slower than usual and causing problems where both our computers and our Roku stalled out.

It finally got so bad nothing worked -- and then our local television stations went off the air, something that should have had nothing to do with the Internet, since our television signal is a simple antenna. We don't know if the station simply went off the air for a while or if there is some link we can't understand. :confused:

DH called the phone company to see if they were working on the system. The overseas tech claimed they were not.

She checked and claimed our modem was the problem, however, we JUST bought a new one they told us we needed a couple months ago!

So they are sending us a new one. At first she said we were going to have to pay for it, but DH said that was ridiculous since we just did that.

She checked with a supervisor and they agreed to send us one free since our previous one was still under warranty.

Next she told us we'd have to pay for shipping on our "free" modem, and DH again protested. We'd just paid shipping on the last one.

She again checked with a supervisor and they agreed to waive the shipping fee.

Next we were informed we'd have to return the old modem and it sounded like we'd have to pay shipping on that.

Another talk with a supervisor and we were told repeatedly that wasn't the case, however, the language barrier got in the way several times, so we hope that is the case.

We'll have the hassle of printing out a label and taking it to UPS.

Then she told us we'd need to download a phone app and use that to "repair" our modem next time we had problems.

DH told her we want to deal with a HUMAN when we have problems, not a phone app. She said okay.

So now we have to wait for a new modem to arrive -- probably next week -- and watch all our bills to make sure we don't get slipped charges we haven't agreed to pay.

Last time they tried to force us to get DIRECTV as part of a promo package which would have left us paying another huge bill a few months later. We already yanked cable, because we didn't watch it enough to justify the cost and DIRECTV here has SUCH aggressive/obnoxious marketing there is no way we wanted them to pester us more.

It seems they are determined to grab every last dollar.

We just hope this finally fixes the problem, since we can't figure out who is at fault each time we have a new problem. However, this morning I started getting notifications on my computer about things I supposedly needed to update. They are in the spot where at least a couple times a week Microsoft tells me my computer has just done a security scan and found no problems.

Now I don't know whether to trust the new update messages or not, since they are things my computer has never talked about before. o_O

I think one of us is going to be forced to go back to school and become a computer programmer in our "retirement" -- something which neither one of us has ever had the inclination or talent to consider. :(

Cathy, flowerkitty, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  12. jastwins

Yesterday, I went to Petco and found 2 more bags of Hills Science diet 5 lb adult dog food on clearance, marked down to $4 a bag. Rosie liked the food and I paid $8.69 with tax for 10 lbs of dogs food.

At King Kullen today, I bought 2 dozen Egglands best eggs, on sale for $1.99. I used my higher value coupons, $1 and .75 cents, but they did not double. Since I was running late and had to get back to work, I just let it go. My OOp for 2 dozen Egglands best eggs was $2.24.

After work, I went to CVS and wanted to see if they had any clearance items left on their shelves. On Facebook, you see everyone cleaning up on clearance but other stores I have visited were wiped out. I did find a couple of items and used a few coupons to get some deals. My first purchase was for more Arm and Hammer laundry detergent, on sale b1, get 2 free. I found the 50 ounce bottles, so I bought 3, used $1 coupon on my card and used my $5 ecr from last week. My OOP with tax for 3 A & H liquid detergents was $2.68 and saved 92%.
    My next shopping trip included some clearance finds. I found Windex Flat (28 ct) window wipes for $1.08 (75% off) and used a .75 cent coupon, making it .43 cents.
    Three 18 ct packs of Scunci hair ties were on clearance for $1.04 each. Gold Emblem Organic White Quinoa, 12 ounces, was 75% off and cost $.174. Nature Valley Cinnamon squares breakfast bars were $1.19, 75% off. I bought 2 Well Yes soups in a flavor I like (butternut sweet potato), on sale 2/$4 and got back $1 from Ibotta plus .10 for any item.
    I found Nivea After shave lotion, on sale for $2.24 and had a $2 coupon, making it .24 cents. Ibotta had a $1.50 rebate and this was one of my money makers. The red kiosk spit out a $4 Revlon coupon and I purchased a Revlon metal emery board that cost .99 cents after the coupon was deducted. Checkout 51 had a $2 rebate for any Revlon beauty tools. I bought one Garnier leave in conditioner, full price, since I had not seen this product in a while. My mistake was not to take two and I wasted a hair coupon, but did not bother getting it back since I was at self checkout.
    I paid $18.11, including tax for 11 items.
    I did not get other make up deals and am now thinking twice about it. On my CVS receipt, there is a line at the bottom for 10% back on Beauty purchase Epic Beauty event. So far I spent $13.98. I found an article online about this event:
    https://www.bustle.com/p/cvss-epic-...ogo-beauty-brands-half-off-skin-care-21796855

Cathy, flowerkitty, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  13. jastwins

This past week, I worked at my bank job and was happy to shop on my lunch hours at the shopping center next door.
    My best deals were in TJMaxx where yellow tag clearance was in full swing. I was able to get brand name make-up for $1, .70 cents, .50 cents and .30 cents. A storage container was .70 cents and a Roxy t shirt was .70 cents.
    Two bottles of essential oils were .70 cents, 1 pair of Donna Karan knee socks was $1, Murad skin lotion, 16.9 ounces was $2. It is like going on a treasure hunt and I had fun just seeing what they had available and following the woman with the yellow tag price gun. Shoes and boots were marked down but none were in my size.
    Today we cleaned up our yard and were able to bring 2 pick up truck loads of leaves and twigs to the dump at no charge. We are enjoying the fireplace and heat courtesy of the free firewood we split earlier this year.

Cathy, jcdamomma, flowerkitty and 2 others like this.
  14. jastwins

On Sunday, I used my bottle deposits to help pay for one newspaper and my OOP was .15 cents.
    Last night, I ordered some items from Amazon and they included off brand printer ink, all 4 cartridges for $18.99 (for the free printer I got at the goody pile last year), decided to try some Amazon underwear (needed black and if they do not fit I wasted $7 in gcs.) and 17 food items plus dog biscuits for Rosie. Since I spent $36.48 on food pantry items, I was able to get free shipping ($5.99 savings) 15% off 5 item three times plus .19 cent coupon for a $5.65 savings. With gcs, my OOP for everything $1.16.

jcdamomma, Cathy and Gardencook like this.
  15. Gardencook

Yesterday on his way home from errands DH picked up B1G1 milkshakes. The coupons expire at the end of this month, so I had mentioned we needed to use them, however, I thought we'd decided we didn't need more sweets right then since we'd just had cookies. :rolleyes:

Oh well.

He was going to be on the same side of town as the store with 99 cent eggs so I asked him to pick up those. While he was there he found some markdown doughnuts he thought looked good ... :eek:

Normally he does pretty well shopping, but after yesterday I can't resist posting this video.

16. Gardencook

Not the most exciting, because unless you are a cross country skier there isn't much going on at Grand Teton National Park right now, however, we did get free admission yesterday using DH's Park Pass. It was a beautiful drive even though all the wildlife was hiding. :p

Our hotel offered a variety of free Tazo Tea in the lobby and considering it was below zero overnight a cup of hot tea when we rolled in and when we rolled out the next morning was a very welcome freebie!

We also picked up coffee and tea before leaving Jackson and DH got another coffee on the way home at Starbucks using gift cards we'd earned on hotel stays -- so free to us.

17. jastwins

Today I credited $13.20 in Amazon gcs from various sites to my Amazon accounts. SBKC told me that I am getting a $20 visa gc for February.

jcdamomma, Fillies Fan and Gardencook like this.
  18. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Only stopped at Walmart and the feed store yesterday. Picked up some clearance Hiking Boots at Walmart for $20. They are leather, which I haven't bought in years, but my ones I bought last year are split on the sides of both boots already. This Kentucky weather is doing a number on them. We had so much rain, the mud is everywhere. They are men's hiking boots, it's so hard to find a decent pair of women's hiking boots. I prefer function over fashion, but I guess I'm in the minority. These boots are for the farm, so I don't think the animals care. My mom got a pair of hot pink lightweight tennis shoes clearanced for $5. Not her favorite color, but they are also for the farm so no big deal. I was rebate shopping, picked up 1 package of Knorr ready rice that I got the full price back of Fetch and had an Ibotta rebate. These are about the nastiest things I have tried, so will go to the food bank. This Walmart is a smaller store, and was crowded because of the forecast of snow today. We looked for facemasks, as everyone seems to be coughing, but they were sold out. Used a gc from Fetch rewards to pay for it.

Oh, we did stop for a Shamrock Shake and a Hot Fudge Sundae at McD's. Had a gc and used an app coupon for the $2 shake. Not bad, better than the $1 Arby's mint shake, but not sure it's twice as good.

On a side note, if you like Stella beer, check out the BPR rebate list and see if you get a free case of beer this week, hurry it's only for the leap day.

jcdamomma, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  19. jastwins

I moved $20 from Ibotta to my PayPal account.

Today I worked in the cafeteria and she gave me 2 salads to take home I also had a free egg sandwich and a bottle of polar seltzer.

jcdamomma likes this.
  20. Gardencook

Picked up a couple large boxes of Special K with Strawberries for free today. We got some cookies with weevils a few months back and I wrote the company. They sent a couple free coupons and they expired today so I needed to get them used.

jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
Moderators: KimShaw