What are you getting Cheap or FREE in February 2020?

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, Feb 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Welcome to February and since it is a leap year everyone has an extra day to shop! Super Bowl weekend is coming up and I know there are deals out there on snacks and TV's! Everyone has to watch the big game. Be on the look out for deals on winter clothing, computers, sales on mattresses, towels, sheets and home goods.
    February 6 is National Frozen Yogurt Day and February 25 is National Pancake Day, (free short stack at IHOP), so look out for some freebies or deals!
    Post all deals big and small....I look forward to reading about them.

2. jastwins

This morning, I cashed out my SB points for a $25 Amazon gc and a $3 Amazon Gc. Since I am on the sapphire level, I get one instant issue of my gift card each month. The $25 Amazon gc was posted to my Amazon account and I ordered myself a Fitbit inspire for $60 and took a 3 year protection plan for $7.99. I used $41.74 in Amazon gcs to help pay for it and my OOP with tax was $32.03. At work, they are doing a FitBit challenge and while I will be late to the game, my co-worker will help me sync it to my phone. Hope to post about a weight loss one day soon.

3. jastwins

I placed an order for my friend's daughter on Kohls.com and mistakenly shipped it to ME and not her. I can drop off the gifts by her parents when I visit my parents in 2 weeks. I used $5 Kohls cash that was to expire last night, 15% off code thru SB and used up gcs from my girls'Christmas returns ( I gave one of the twins cash for the gcs). My OOP was just over $22 for 6 items. Sales were not the greatest but today I was happy to get $5 Kohls rewards and $10 in Kohls cash from this order.

4. jastwins

The NY Stock exchange, where Crankie works, had a giveaway of Frank’s hot sauce and he brought home 2 bottles. I received a P & G $15 rebate card in the mail and sent it to d 1 who is at college.
    A survey site sent me free face cream to use for 6 weeks.

5. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I have a handicapped parking permit which I received about 9 months ago and which expired on Jan 7. I received a letter from the Ministry of Transport a few days ago telling me that the permit has been renewed and is now permanent.

The reason I have it is that I have an arterial blockage in my left leg that makes walking long distances painful for me. However, having lost 61 pounds in a series of operations this summer (none of which had anything to do with that blockage) I no longer have any problem walking. That is logical as my leg does not have to work that hard under the reduced weight load.

I generally do not use the handicapped parking areas, preferring to save them for people who actually need them. However, the permit has two additional advantages -- my annual auto registration fee (about $460) is reduced by 90% and I no longer have to pay to park anywhere, except private parking lots, even in non-handicapped spaces.

Jorainna, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  6. jastwins

@Fillies Fan, I am glad to hear you are doing better and hope you have no more surgeries. Nice to know that the permit is permanent and you will continue to save $$ annually. Don’t tell anybody since they may try to spend it for you :D

7. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Made a quick run to pick up some deals before they expired today and take advantage of some fuel promotions that were too good to pass.

We did another round of mega sale. In the process we picked up another bottle of soy sauce for 33 cents after mega sale and coupon.

Also got a high value toilet tissue digital coupon today which was good on any size. We picked up a four-pack of double rolls for 49 cents.

Jorainna, Cathy and jcdamomma like this.
  8. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Yesterday, we drove to the cemetery 45 miles away to take down Christmas decorations. On the way home, we stopped at their Kroger which had milk for $1.19 a gallon, a full $1 cheaper than ours is. Also picked up cheaper eggs than our area. Then stopped at Tractor Supply, which had a weekend 15% off everything and 25% off clearance. They are resetting the canned pet food areas and have deep discounts on cat food. We cleaned out our store last week, so was happy to get about 20 cans of premium brands, for under 50¢ a can. Also got a barn gingerbread set that will still be in date next Christmas for $1. I guess that gingerbread can last a long time. Made a quick stop in CVS to see if they had some clearance Cremo products that our store doesn't even carry. Did find out my favorite manager moved to that store full time, but their clearance is gone.

We may be going to that town more often, as our feed store discontinued the grain we normally feed and our cow babies don't like the new food and it's more expensive. The same chain in the town a half hour north of here has the old food at the cheaper price. Then it's just about 8 miles away to the next bigger town. I was just getting used to our new Chick-Fil-A and now we may not even be going to our town regularly except on Sunday. It will be a huge pain in the butt, but feed is the most important chore and I have to store any extra feed in my SUV, so can't buy more than 2 weeks of it at a time.

9. jastwins

@mtka I have the same issue in Long Island, NY, with the same stores adjusting prices by location. Depending on the competition, circular sale prices can be .50 cents to $1 different for the same product. Even CVS has different prices on certain items that are not on sale. Hair ties were $5.79 in one location and $6.29 in another....same product! Recently, I shopped for a sale on Pompeian oil blend and finally found it in a store on the North fork, but never found it in a store on the South Fork of Long Island. It was a much smaller store where I found it and I would never see it in the remodeled larger stores. Since this chain will double dollar coupons, I am glad I was able to pick up 2 48 oz bottles.

I joined a FB app called Viewpoint and completed a survey worth $5 and am waiting for it to be credited to my Paypal account. Yesterday, I remembered to upload my prior week's receipts to Receipt pal and Receipt hog. I also updated my saving star rebates. At work, I printed out my emails that contained Kohls cash, Kohls rewards, a Hollister gc for a bday gift and some coupons from SB.

10. jastwins

My $5 FB paypal deposit was made this morning. The financial horizons community sent me a$10 gc for being a January prize draw winner. I cashed out for a $10 CVS gc. My $3 amazon gc from SB was credited to my account.
    I am taking part in a survey for SB and need to go to a Walmart store and purchase coffee. My plan is to go to Walmart tomorrow after work and try to get this task done and receive a payout of $55. I also have to answer questions while in the store. Also I will check out the in store deals on SB to see if I can take advantage of any and hope that I can find them in the store.
    Since I will be near a Shoprite if I do this task, I will stop in to take advantage of some digital frees loaded to my card. Curious to see if this works and if the items will be in stock. The items include yogurt, a drink, shampoo or conditioner and I believe coffee. After looking at the store ad, I will do some coupon shopping as well.

CVS is nearby and I have $3 in extra cash rewards to go along with my $10 gc. The FB group is great about posting deals so I will check out their posts and see what is the best way to earn ecr and roll them.

11. Gardencook

We made a grocery run today to pick up a few things before sales went off tonight. It was a 10 percent discount day, but most of what we needed wasn't included.

However, we did make it well past the $20 threshold for our third 100 fuel point promotional reward. With the sales/coupons it made it worth the trip.

We picked up a free bottle of shampoo and a free bottle of conditioner after mega sale and coupons. We also picked up one last bottle of soy sauce for 33 cents.

I run into a lot of the same problems you do with with stores and stocking @mtka and @jastwins. It gets so frustrating.

We have two Kroger affiliate stores, but they aren't actual Kroger stores so they pick and choose what they put on sales.

Especially confusing are the mega sales. When you check the store web sites there is an area where the site will list all the products offered on mega sale so you can plan your shopping. Many of the items are apparently on sale at regular Kroger stores, but even though they are listed as mega sale items on our sites, when you get to the store they aren't included. Basically you have to carefully sort through all the items the site says are on mega sale and if you don't see a banner across the top of the picture it doesn't matter that the site says the item is included in the sale -- it isn't.

I got excited about some Kroger-brand sliders that were listed on mega sale this time and had some nice introductory coupons. However, I suspected they wouldn't be on sale, even though the site said they were -- and just as I suspected they weren't. :(

Another never ending frustration is that they'll give me good introductory coupons to try new products and then as soon as they convince me to buy the product -- they discontinue it.

Tried a new thin crust pizza a month or two ago, but arrived today to find the store no longer sells it. Then they gave me a high-value introductory coupon on ice cream novelties which the web site claimed our store had, but we couldn't find shelf space for them even though the web site assured us our store had them.

Jorainna, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  12. jastwins

Tonight I stopped at a couple of stores to get some deals and did end up with some FREES!
    At CVS, I looked for an item that I thought this location would carry,but they did not have GSQ glamsquad haircare that was buy 1 get $7 ecr. The red kiosk spit out a nice bunch of coupons, so I settled on purchasing other hair care items and did well. My purchases included 2 Garnier Whole blends conditioners, on sale 2/$7, I had a cvs q for $2/2 and got back $3 ecr. I bought 2 L'Oreal conditioners and used a $3 digital q on my card and got back $4 ecr.
    I chose 4 Herbal Essence biorenew shampoos & conditioners, on sale 2/$12 {spend $15 get $5 ecr} and used (2 ) $5 /2 coupons. I also used a $2 ecr mail coupon, $3 beauty bucks, $2.25/$10 haircare cvs q and a $10 gc I earned this week.
    My OOP for 8 shampoo & conditioners, including tax was $9.07 and I got back $12 in ECR. I used my local bank debit card to get 30 points per dollar spent at CVS.
    At Aldi, I bought 2 bags of baby carrots, 4 zucchini, a bag of leaf spinach, a box of sliced mushrooms, bananas and an 8 oz block of Sharp cheddar cheese for $8.80.
    In Walmart, I tried to complete a survey for SB and, of course, while I answered all the questions, the goal was to find American Community coffee
    & THEY DID NOT CARRY IT. UGH!!!! I did upload pics and did a video in which I explained that this location of Walmart did not carry that particular brand. I will see what happens when I honestly answer the rest of the questions. In Walmart, I did find 3 items on the SB in store list and uploaded my receipt for 200 SB points. When I checked the clearance aisle, I found a Nivea creme bodywash for $3 and at the register, it rang up $2 and I used a $2 coupon making it free. I submitted my receipt to Ibotta and received $3.05 back for my purchases. My OOP was $12.04 for 5 items for some breakfast items, a Kinder bueno candy bar and the Nivea free.

My final stop was at Shoprite and I was able to find 5 out of 7 free items using their digital coupons. The following items were FREE:
    1 can of Coke Energy drink
    1 Silk Oat Yeah vanilla yogurt
    1 Finesse conditioner
    1 Airwick Warmer and 1 scented oil combo pack
    1 Eight O'clock Barrista coffee 11 oz
    I used store coupons to get store brand water, 2 24 packs for $3. The store brand toilet paper was $6.99 with store coupon for 20 rolls. A pack of ground beef was $1.99 / lb with store coupon, 2 boxes of Eggo waffles were $3 with digital q, 2 Tresseme Conditioners were $3 each and i used a $4/2 coupon making them a $1 each . I paid $1.79 after sale and coupon for Degree deodorant.
    I found a clearance shelf and pick up a gallon of Store brand corn oil for $4.99 and Arm & Hammer detergent was .99 after clearance and digital coupon. AFter looking at my bill, i think there is a mistake but I cannot find it. Might be tax and I included the bottle deposits. I spent $33 OOP on 16 items and will keep looking for the difference.

I had to stock up on Conditioners since the girls left me with 2 bottles of condtioner when they left for college. Now, I will not run out until the summer.

13. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Just a small trip yesterday. Picked up free Cup Noodles @ Walmart. I could have gotten 3, but I am not a fan, don't know why I even picked up 1 as I wasn't going to finish the mid-week bonus from Ibotta. I picked up a family size box of Cocoa Krispies, they were $3.64 and got 399 SB. SB said I would be asked to leave a review for this item, but didn't say how they would ask.

Kroger had a 3 pound bag of apples for $1.99. Bought those, a couple of bananas and a cucumber. I already got the S* rebate for bananas back and will get $2 back from a NBPR rebate on the produce. They also had ground beef b1g1. I wish things still rang for 50% off instead of having to buy 2, but that shipped has sailed. It was the last day to pick up a free Mochi ice cream thing, man was that gross! I don't know what the substance that wrapped the ice cream was, yuck. Found 2 packages of decaffeinated tea bags in the clearance section for my mom. Also got a BK and Olive Garden gift card, 4x fuel points plus an extra 200 points each on a bonus coupon. Since I get the whole 35 gallons at a time, that equates to $7.00+ off each $15.00 gift card.

Oh, and got a free $2 Hallmark card from CVS after email coupon.

Cathy, jcdamomma, Jorainna and 3 others like this.
  14. jastwins

Sad to report, I was booted out of the $55 SB study since my location did not have the Community coffee. :mad::( While walmart carries the product online, it does not necessarily have it in every location. This Walmart has a small grocery section compared to other Walmart super stores. I can never find all the frees that they have on Ibotta since they have such a limited stock of groceries. This location is in a big shopping area and I guess they concentrate on more non-food than food items.

Today, I had to go in early to help in the cafeteria. Free breakfast sandwich for me and there are bagels in the teachers' lounge, left over from the honor roll breakfast. I also get to put in a time sheet for the extra time I worked this morning.

15. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

I stopped at a local grocery store that I do not frequent very often in the town where I get my haircut.In the front of the store was a cart full of organic girl spinach(small container) & (large containers) of mixed greens ....for .50 each.
    I also found short dated brats & lunchmeat for $1.99 each.

Gardencook, Cathy, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  16. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Been finding odds and ends in the clearance sections of the Kroger stores this week:
    .19 Meat Thermometer
    .10 Sticker packs
    .10 Recipe Card packs
    .25 Spices
    .15 Glucose Tablets
    .30 Gift Boxes of Candies like Skittles, Starburst, Jolly Ranchers
    .99 Larabar 5 Ct. Boxes
    .19 Sunmaid Pitted Dates

Also got a class action settlement check for $75 on Birdsong bird seed in the mail. I will roll that back into bird seed.

Cathy, jcdamomma, Gardencook and 2 others like this.
  17. Gardencook

I didn't feel much like going out today, so tried to put together a scaled down shopping list that wasn't too complicated for DH -- then held my breath that he understood and hoped the store had everything in stock.

We also needed a few other small things and I explained that he needed to get to a minimum $20 purchase after coupons to get our fourth fuel point bonus out of the special 5x promo. He came up short so he found some lemons and limes on markdown to get us there. That meant we got our 100 point bonus in addition to the points we got for our purchases.

He did get mixed up on the Olay Bar Soap and only bought one pack. I told him it was a good enough deal without coupons to buy several. I gave him two coupons, but noticed on the receipt one $1 coupon was missing. That's when I figured out he didn't buy enough soap -- which is why he needed to buy citrus.

Guess I lost my second $1 coupon in the process, but he did so well on the other purchases I can't complain. That's what I get for not going myself.

He picked up a Friday Free Core Water.

On the 5x Friday/Saturday offers the store had EVERYTHING! That was certainly a pleasant surprise. He picked up:

Fridge Packs (8-packs of 4 oz. containers) of Yoplait Yogurt for 99 cents after insert and printable coupons

Honey Bunches of Oats with Real Strawberries Cereal for 99 cents each

Olay Bars 6-pack for $1.99 a/c

After we fill out the receipt survey we got today, that should put us close to 1,500 fuel points already this month. :)

18. jastwins

Crankie bought Blue Moon beer over the weekend and I uploaded the receipt to FETCH to earn 2,000 point. Later today, I will print out a $5 gc for CVS and save it for a shopping trip this week. Last week's purchase earned me $12 ecr and another $3 beauty bucks to use as well. My Walmart receipt from last week earned me $2 from Coupons.com.
    This week, I plan to use my $10 Kohls cash and $5 yes to you reward to pick up gifts for my great niece and nephew.
    Yesterday, I used bottle deposits to pay for one of my Sunday newspapers.

19. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

After a mini-war with my insurance company, I succeeded in getting a $175 annual discount for my car insurance.

The company's rule is that it gives this discount only to someone who can show that he has a safe driving record for the past 3 years. This is determined by whether he had any charges on his insurance. My problem was that although I have been licensed, and had a safe record, for over 55 years, for the past 30 years (except for last year) I did not own a car. Instead, I drove a communal car and the insurance was not in my name. Last year, after getting written confirmation of that from the kibbutz, I was given the discount.

This year, when I went to renew it, they refused to give me the same waiver (and the same rate). I told them that not only would I get my car insurance from a competing company, I would also transfer my pension account and supplemental health insurance.

The next day, my agent called me to let me know that the insurance company caved in and would give me the discount.

20. Gardencook

Still cold and snowy outside and with recent stressful situations I just haven't felt like going out. DH was running some errands yesterday I had him pick up a couple meat purchases which came to more than $20. That got us the last of our five 100 fuel point bonuses on the special promotion.

We also filled out a receipt survey and that put us over 1,600 fuel points for the month -- one dollar plus another 60 cents -- which we'll need since we're going to have to head to Boise for a funeral. We still have another one dollar reward we earned last month, so once we get back we'll have to try and get the remaining 60 cent reward built closer to one dollar for next month.

Guess this is a good example of the difference between Idaho and the Coast of Washington. One year ago my Mom's graveside service got moved inside and still no one would attend due to a skiff of snow everyone panicked about the morning of her funeral. We've got mountains of snow around here and they're still holding a graveside.

I wanted to pick up some more fish before the sale went off tomorrow, but I had planned to get the turkey cooked before we knew of the death. That means I don't have freezer space for the fish. Hope that sale rotates back around quickly.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    jcdamomma, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
Moderators: KimShaw