What are you getting Cheap or FREE in August 2021?

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
We made it to August! This will be a busy month for me with D2 moving to NYC, D1 going to NYC for grad school and D3 going back to college.
D3 got free moving services courtesy of me and Crankie. We have decided she can call a moving company if she ever moves out of her small expensive apartment. Lol.
What are you looking for and finding out there that is a good deal? I do not have much to buy for back to school and I kind of miss that. My daughters buy their own school supplies.
Keep us posted for great sales on summer items! Happy shopping.

bugweena

Trader Group
I'm back in the good graces of NBPR rebate companies! Yay! I only did a few last year and I had to call about every single one. I finally quit and started again last month. Tested the waters with a few small $ ones and they all went thru. I have $22.75 in cards to spend. Yay! It's even better now because all Anheuser Busch NBPR rebates on online so you don't even have to use a stamp and/or trade for the forms. I'm getting a 'free' vacation with my mom. Three nights in a Gatlinburg condo with her. I'm bringing the food--everything bought or will be bought on sale. So food for the two of us and my gas $ is all I will be out of pocket. Plus get to spend some time with my mom--Win Win!

jastwins

Trader Group
I received my credit from the Amazon shoppers panel. D2 must have sensed a few credits in my account and asked me to go half with her on a new carryon she needed for an upcoming business trip. Ugh. If was a challenge finding a decent deal that could be delivered in time for her business trip. In the end I ordered her a Kenneth Cole carry on and it was $90. I used $25.25 in Amazon credits and moved 1/2 the funds from her account. My OOP was $21.
After visiting my dad in the hospital I stopped at CVS to get drinks for me and Crankie. I used a 32 % off coupon to get $$2.06 off my order making one item free. Not sure why it was a weird percentage but glad I put it on my card.
I used bottle deposits to get pizza dough at the I G A for .44 cents

flowerkitty

Super Swapper
Trader Group
I picked up a few toys at Dollar General on Saturday.
They were on a nice display at the front of the store & were buy 1 get 1 50% off.
I found some colorforms...(I was surprised they still make them).
Local news claims there may be a toy shortage this Christmas because plastic used to make toys has been used to make syringes instead.

Gardencook

Trader Group
On our way out of town Friday, we stopped at a grocery store for a 10 percent discount day. They had also sent a coupon for a free 10-pack of hand wipes, so we got those, as well.

When I turned around from picking up those, I noticed a good clearance deal on Safeguard hand soap. (Shrink-flation strikes again! The bottles have gone from 25 ounces to 22 ounces to 15 ounces in the past year!) Anyway, the store had both 25-ounce and 22-ounce bottles on clearance for $1.49 each -- $1.34 after 10 percent discount -- retail $5.99. Of course, we got the 25-ounce instead of the 22-ounce bottles and they hadn't corrected the price in the register, so we had to wait for a price check, but it all went pretty smoothly.

We're well stocked on hand soap since last week another store was clearing out small 8-ounce bottles for 25 cents each and it turned out they were buy 2, get one free.

Last week our regular store sent a best customer coupon for a free jar of Prego Pasta Sauce, which we picked up Friday.

Over the weekend, we got another coupon, this time for a free single-serve carton of yogurt. We haven't picked that up yet and the register spit out a Cat coupon for a free pint of specialty ice cream. The chain gave a free digital to customers on the Coast a few weeks ago, but as usual our store didn't stock it yet, so we didn't get the coupon. I'm hoping it is in stock at our store now since I did see it in the ad a couple weeks ago.

We also picked up a tube of Colgate Renewal Toothpaste (retail $7.99) free after high value digital coupon and mega sale.

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
While shopping out of town today, we went to the Natural Grocers Anniversary Celebration.

We got a free reusable bag for our purchases along with a free large chocolate bar. We each got a free ice cream sandwich on our way out the door and we got some decent sale prices using digital coupons -- just wish they'd had the ones we went in for, but that store seems to be out of the items I want more often than they are in. I usually just have to resort to impulse buying things that are a good deal as I see them.

We were supposed to get another free ice cream bar using a digital coupon, but we got a coupon for a product the store doesn't sell. I was looking forward to trying a plant-based onion dip for 99 cents after high value coupon, but they didn't have that either.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Haven't really been motivated to go to the other end of town, but DH is having eye surgery tomorrow so decided to get things out of the way tonight.

We picked up a free 80-count package of hand sanitizer wipes using a digital coupon they sent the other day. The other items we bought REALLY could have waited until the new sales flyer. I wish that store would give us a little more time than about six days to use a free coupon. :rolleyes:

flowerkitty

Super Swapper
Trader Group
I picked up a free hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes with in app coupons last week at the grocery store. This morning I was surprised to see the coupons have reset.
Saturday I picked up 5 hand sanitizers in squeeze tubes with flip top lids for .10 each at Rural King. These will be perfect for the car.

jastwins

Trader Group
I have been busy with moving the twins, get d3 to college and working but we did find some deals in our travels. In CVS I used 2 percent off coupons and .50 cents in ECR and bought an 8 pack of AAA batteries for $4.32. This brand was not on sale and CVS gives you extra bucks for every purchase and not quarterly. You need to remember to go to your app and apply the ecr from your most recent purchase to your card so you can use it the next time you shop.

We also got gas at the reservation for $2.79 a gallon, the lowest price I have seen all summer. On my island, it is $3.49 a gallon for regular, so I fill up off island when possible. Other gas purchases were made at Costco where they charge $2.99 a gallon. Also at Costco, we found an 8,000 BTU air conditioner for $199 plus tax. This made D2 very happy after we installed it at her apartment in Manhattan. Did we mention the FREE moving services that the twins got? They have no clue how much a moving truck would cost. Whatever fit in my Chevy Traverse was what we moved. D2 had some items delivered here and some directly to her apartment. Glad she did that because I had no room for anything else in my car.

D1 helped me clean out my walk in closet that was an unorganized disaster. She gave me her 3 plastic drawer sets she used in college and I used that to start sorting my clothing. D1 ordered me a movable clothing rack from Amazon that I just received and put together tonight. Now, I can actually walk in my closet and choose something easily to wear to work. It was a great way to get rid of many things I did not need and my closet had become a catch-all for stuff they girls did not want.

The bank treated us to ice cream last Friday and we will get lunch this Friday. We have been short staffed and I do not mind the shorter lunch hours since I get paid more at the end of the week. I should get overtime this week since I am working on Saturday.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We also got gas at the reservation for $2.79 a gallon, the lowest price I have seen all summer. On my island, it is $3.49 a gallon for regular, so I fill up off island when possible. Other gas purchases were made at Costco where they charge $2.99 a gallon. Also at Costco, we found an 8,000 BTU air conditioner for $199 plus tax. This made D2 very happy after we installed it at her apartment in Manhattan. Did we mention the FREE moving services that the twins got? They have no clue how much a moving truck would cost. Whatever fit in my Chevy Traverse was what we moved. D2 had some items delivered here and some directly to her apartment. Glad she did that because I had no room for anything else in my car.
Enjoy the great prices on gas while you can get them @jastwins ! Prices here are steadily creeping up. We're almost $4 a gallon here now and California is well over $4 from what we hear.

We're doing okay this month for travel, because we built up three, one dollar per gallon fuel rewards with double fuel point weekends and gift card promotions last month, but no double fuel points this month and the only gift card promotions they've offered us are places we don't need or stores we don't even have in the region. Why buy a Lowe's gift card when the employees REPEATEDLY run the other direction if they think you might want to ask a question?

Had a hard time motivating myself out again, but in the end I'm glad I did, because we got some decent deals.

Our first stop was Goodwill, where they had a 50 percent off donated items coupon today. I didn't want to fight the dealers this morning -- and believe me it is a FIGHT. I didn't honestly expect to find anything this afternoon, but we did pretty well.

I found a HUGE stainless steel colander that will fit inside my largest stainless steel bowls. IF I finally get spinach seed in the ground late this autumn for an early spring crop next year, it will be PERFECT for picking greens straight into. I used to dream of something like that when I got a garden in regularly. Then we can rinse them with the hose outside and put a bowl under them so they don't leak all over the house on the way in. I really don't care to drag in more bugs than I have to. Couldn't find one exactly like it on the internet, but the closest I could come sold for about $60! We paid two dollars after discount.

There was a REALLY nice, high quality, black canvas reusable grocery bag from a Salt Lake regional grocery store. It will last forever, so was a steal at one dollar after discount.

Decided I didn't like the bamboo handled picnic cutlery in our kitchen kit on our last trip. The spoon and fork were rather sharp and I kept hurting my lip on them. The last thing I need is a canker sore while traveling. Found a nice set to replace them today. We only paid one dollar for the bamboo ones, but since they divided the forks, spoons and knives today we paid three dollars. Still not a bad deal, since it will give us extra cutlery in case we need more than two pieces of each.

I also picked up a couple cookbooks for $1.49 each after discount. The one book is HUGE, weighs a TON and goes through our nation region-by-region explaining how culture molded the cuisine of every area -- along with supplying recipes for each culture. I wasn't specifically looking for it, but when I flipped it open, there was even a nice section on Basque Cuisine. Since DH is half Basque that was a selling point, however, I'm fascinated by food history, so thought the whole book would be an interesting read. I'm sure the book must have cost at least $50 when it was new. Basically, it is a "coffee table" book. The biggest challenge will be how long I can hold the heavy thing while reading it. lol!

I also found a winter coat in decent condition for four dollars.

Together we spent less than $12 there.

We went to the next store for 18-packs of eggs that were 97 cents each on a sale ending today. However, we found some nice markdowns there, as well.

Picked up three cartons of deli albacore tuna salad and a carton of organic goat cheese for 99 cents each.

They also had an interesting looking Spinach, Artichoke and Parmesan gourmet dip/spread marked down to $1.59. Saw it at the sister store after that for $5.99 a carton, so we got a good deal there.

They had 32-ounce cartons of organic vanilla yogurt and a 32-ounce carton of ricotta cheese marked down to $1.99 each and we also picked up a loaf of whole grain French bread for $1.49.

The final store FINALLY had the rainbow cauliflower I've been wanting through the entire two weeks of the mega sale! I've been looking for it each time we shopped, but they never even had a shelf space for it although the web site claimed they had it. We had a 75 cent digital coupon.

Had they stocked it at the beginning of the sale we would have gotten it for 24 cents after coupon. However, that particular store is frustrating about raising prices on items part way through the mega sale, so now that it is in stock they are charging 20 cents more. We got to try it for 44 cents after coupon, but it is still aggravating.

We also picked up some Lysol Spray for $1.99 after markdown and printable coupon. It retailed for $5.99, but apparently they're either getting rid of the fragrance (something with "meadow" in the name) or they're having hard time getting rid of the stuff no one could get their hands on a year ago.

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
I don't know if this fits in the "Cheap or Free" thread as I have already spent a lot of moolah on her, but I can't find a "What are you getting which is wonderful" thread, so here goes: This morning I got a fantastic gift -- my first grandchild. I am yet to see her, but yesterday, when my daughter went into the hospital, I bought a $185 bottle of XO Cognac as a combination celebratory/thank you gift for my son-in-law.

jastwins

Trader Group
Other Frees this month included free freshly caught fish from my husbands friends. We already ate the weakfish and flounder filets. They just gave Frankie fresh tuna that he put in the freezer and we can eat at a later date.
My girls shopped in my supply closet and I gave up all my toothpaste (yikes) and luckily I still have shampoo and conditioner left. I am out of tissues and wipes. Too poor to shop this month and will stock up next month.

According to the Marlboro site, I won a free Bamboozle indoor composter and it should get here in 8 weeks. It goes for $50 online :p but I have never used a composter.

On paidviewpoint I had $16.63 transferred to my paypal account. From my 1 q app, I had earned $8 in my paypal account this week. Receipt Hog will transfer $5 this week, also to Paypal.

jastwins

Trader Group
On Sb, I finally received credit for joining the app public and was awarded 3300 sb. I was able to move $50 to my paypal account and the money is sorely needed.
The bank treated us to lunch today. I ordered a diet coke & a steak burrito wrap and ate half for lunch and the rest for dinner.

Tomorrow I have to work a Saturday for the bank. My next paycheck will include overtime, something I rarely get. Branches are very short staffed and I miss the old branch where I used to work. The branch where I am now is stretching it's staff very thin and they wonder why people quit. One person in my branch is on vacation, another has to cover at a branch off island and I wonder why certain people can take vacation twice in a summer and the poor girl in my branch has worked 12 Saturdays straight. Some people take advantage of good workers and I feel bad for the staff at this branch. Just happy to help out and have a job. The bank should not complain about any of us earning overtime.

'free rain and wind.....Hurricane Henri is headed straight for my county on Long Island. I hope my Island lives up to its name (Shelter Island.)
Oh well, guess I will have to batten down the hatches.

jastwins

Trader Group
I went off island today and did a few errands and got some gas at the reservation for $2.79 per gallon. Long Island, especially the East End, is right in the path of Hurricane Henri. Of course, people panic and lines started at our only gas station and the IGA was packed. Crankie and I planned to go to the yacht club lobster/chicken bbq and I met him there after being on line at the reservation to get gas. It took about 10 mins and I spent just under $35 to fill up my tank.
On my way home, I stopped at cvs and bought 1 pack of gum, 2 toothpastes and 2 pringles on clearance for .57 cents. I had a couple of coupons on my app for colgate and $3 ecr. I paid $2.12 OOP and got back $5 ecr.

I stopped by Kohls to return 3 items and was once again disappointed with the selection in the store. The huge Sephora took up a good portion of the middle of the store. If you ask me, they are putting out less product in hopes that people will wander into Sephora and spend money there. NOT me. I do not need overpriced makeup. Clearance racks were disorganized and there was not alot in my size. How about the short sleeve version of the tank tops I bought the last time I was there. UGH. They are carrying new brands but not much new in my size 1x to 2x. I did find a section selling my size but did not like anything there. Kohls used to be my go to store but I am thinking I will have to find another place to shop. Also, the dressing room was blocked, but supposedly there was a place your could try on but they were not clearly marked. Instead, I went to the bra section and settled on a Playtex 18 hour bra for $14.40 and I used a store credit to pay $5.03 OOP. My receipt got stuck in the register and came out incomplete and crumpled. I asked for a replacement receipt and that took another 10 minutes. I cannot wait for the survey they send me to tell them about this trip.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Went to a couple stores on the last day of sales today and did pretty well.

The first store sent us digital coupons for free 80-count sanitizing wipes, a free bottle of hand sanitizer and a free half gallon of Lactaid High Protein Milk.

We hadn't yet used our $7/$7 meat coupon for the month and they had frozen wild caught Alaska salmon fillets on sale for $7.99 a pound. We found one that was a little more than .93 pounds and paid 51 cents for it after coupon.

We got another 25-ounce jug of Safeguard hand soap for 99 after digital coupon.

We still needed a few more points to get to the next fuel/reward level and this was a triple points week.

They had unbleached coffee filters on sale Buy Two, Get One Free, so we picked up three packages total and got one of them free.

We also bought some crackers on sale and made it to the next reward level.

The next store we got a bottle of All Laundry Detergent and a bottle of Snuggle for 49 cents each after insert coupons and mega sale.

They also had a big cannister of Lemi-Shine Disinfecting Wipes on clearance and we had a digital coupon. They retail for $4.99, but we paid 49 cents.

jastwins

Trader Group
I received a settlement payment of $28 in my PayPal account and already transferred it to my checking account. At the IGA I used bottle deposits to pay for a Sunday paper . The diner where we had breakfast had a local paper delivered there and the waitress let me have two coupon inserts from that paper.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Drove across town for another shopping trip today. They offered us another 80-count hand sanitizing wipe package, a bottle of hand sanitizer and a single-serve carton of oat milk yogurt free.

The wipes were in stock, they were substituting another brand on the hand sanitizer and they were out of the yogurt, so not a total success, but at least something.