What are you getting Cheap or Free in August 2020?

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, Aug 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Welcome to August and our crazy summer pandemic is now spreading through many other states. In my state reopening has been slow, masks are mandatory in stores and there is a national change shortage.
    My twins are headed back to college with lots of new rules and I may only accompany one girl to her building but not enter. Sad.
    If you find any deals out there let us know. If you have change in a jar, roll it up and take it to a bank or business. One Chick Fil A offered a free sandwich for a roll of quarters.
    7-11 offered free slurpee for rolled change. Go figure!!
    There are back to school sales, but are the kids in your state going back to school? Look for summer clearance and post your finds. I look forward to reading your posts.

Gardencook, jcdamomma and Jorainna like this.
  2. jastwins

I used my Swagbucks points to order a $25 Amazon g c for 2200 points. It credited instantly and is applied to my account. We will be using it to order food items and supplies for d1 for college. She leaves in 3 weeks.

Gardencook, jcdamomma and Jorainna like this.
  3. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Headed across town today for a big shopping trip. They've been offering better deals lately, so we've been shopping there more.

They offered us a free package of frozen herb cubes over the weekend so we picked up a package of ginger cubes today. That will be handy to have in the freezer for stir-fries.

The store only had garlic, cilantro and ginger so the choice was pretty easy. Seems like that is what usually gets forgotten in stir-fry.

We got six assorted boxes of granola bars for 49 cents by stacking a digital store coupon (99 cents) with printable coupons ($1/2.)

Seasoned packs of chicken drumsticks and thighs were Buy One, Get One Free. They had two packs on markdown so we paid $3.03 for one of them and got the one marked $2.75 free.

Yoplait yogurt was 39 cents limit 10 and I had a printable coupon for $1/10 that was going to expire tomorrow. That meant we got them for 29 cents each.

4. jastwins

In the mail I received a free snack stick and coupon from Lorissa’s.
    SB credited me 10,000 points of opening an online bank account. Those funds will go to my pay pal Account.

Cathy, flowerkitty, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  5. jastwins

I earned a $3 Amazon code and a $5 Walmart gc from Swagbucks. From the Community Insights Forum, I earned enough points for a $10 Walmart gc. I applied all the gcs to my Amazon and Walmart pay accounts.

Cathy, flowerkitty, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  6. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Found these in a mark down clearance cart at Kroger.

[​IMG]

7. Gardencook

Got a digital coupon for a free Larabar which we used today.

Also got a coupon for a free multi-serve bag of M&Ms. The app claimed the coupon also applied to a Peanut Butter Snickers fun size bag -- which we'd rather have -- but the app lied. :(

Still had a $1 digital coupon that came off the bag, so I let it slide, and we can still get a free bag of M&Ms later.

Had a couple printable coupons for 65 cents off yogurt which was on sale for 88 cents, so we got those for 23 cents a/c.

8. jastwins

Today, D1 and I went to Walmart to pick up some items for college. I gave her a couple of skincare coupons and her receipt helped me earn $3.45 from Ibotta. My receipt had to be resubmitted to SavingStar and her purchase will help me be able to cash out at the $20 level. I received 136 points from FETCH.
    I will earn $2 for buying Domino gold sugar and D1’s notebooks from SavingStar and will cash out via PayPal.

jcdamomma, Gardencook, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  9. jastwins

We stopped at CVS and I bought 3 Arm & Hammer laundry detergents, on sale b1 get 2 free and 2 L’Oreal conditioners. From the red kiosk, I had $6 in beauty bucks print out from my last purchase. I used 2 coupons from SB for $3 off
    the 2 conditioners and $1 off arm & hammer.
    A digital coupon for $3 and my $6 Beauty bucks brought my total to $3.53 including tax.
    I earned $2 in ecr.

jcdamomma, Cathy, flowerkitty and 3 others like this.
  10. jastwins

I had to exchange d3’s new I phone 11 that she picked up yesterday. It just stopped working & was evenly exchanged with no problem.
    Across the street from the T mobile store was Kohl’s and I went shopping. I wanted to find some shirts but could not find many in my size that I liked. However, I did get 1! sleeveless shirt. The clearance racks were overcrowded and disorganized. Hangers do not match the size of the item that hangs on it and that is annoying. I will repeat what I said before. The EVRI line is so ugly and I will not pay for something I do not like. They will lose even more customers and this used to be my go to store. Let’s hope they rethink the decision to get rid of designer brands.
    D1 asked me to find her a sports bra and I found one in her size on clearance that she liked. It cost $9.76 after discounts. I found a bunch of Playtex 18 hour bras on a display and when I checked the prices, I was thrilled. After clearance prices and 20% off, I bought 4 bras for $14. Two bras were more than 90% off. After the disappointment in the shirt selection, this find made up for it.

11. jastwins

This morning I turned in my bottles and cans and the paid for one of my Sunday papers.
    At CVS, I used my $2 ecr to get Tide Simply pods for.94 cents.

jcdamomma, Gardencook, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  12. busyasabeecrg

busyasabeecrg °ʅ︵ʃ° Member of the (°‿°) Month 11/2010 - (▬) - Trader Group

Always a pleasure to read about all the various good deals each of you found!:) The only shopping I've done since December is Costco buying only organic and wild seafood whether on sale or not. As 2 people of the "older generation" LOL plus DH being diagnosed in December having an autoimmune disease called sarcoidosis (Kaiser tells him he wouldn't make it if he gets Covid 19), we are staying home most of the time and use masks, gloves and goggles when we go out to Dr. appointments or grocery shopping.

jcdamomma, Jorainna, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  13. Gardencook

I just realized that I've been getting notifications when people "Like" my posts on this thread, but I HAVE NOT been getting most of the notifications when people post to this thread even though I'm following it!

I just thought nobody had anything to say, but apparently, it is a technical glitch. :p For instance, today I have notifications that @busyasabeercg liked two of my previous posts to this thread, but I DO NOT have a notification that she replied with the above post. Figure out that one ... :confused:

So if I haven't been liking your posts as I normally do, I'm not snubbing you -- I just haven't figured out that you said anything yet! ;)

14. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

I am pretty good about using the restaurant reward systems in the restaurants we patronize, but I tend to let them build up a bit to use. Last night we got subs from Subway and I had $6 rewards in my account and I chose to use them as theirs do expire ever so often.

Tonight was triple bonus points at Pie 5 which tipped me up to $40 in reward money. Will wait to use it when we need several pizzas for a family function; or he and I may use it up here and there on ourselves.

Haven't been to BD's Mongolian Grill since the Covid began, but I have around $30 in my account. That will be a free meal for hubby and myself if and when we feel comfortable to go eat out inside a restaurant again.

jcdamomma, mtka, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  15. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

BK app had a free kid's meal with any purchase, so we did that on Monday. Wendy's changed their app to have rewards and offers that we won't use. That was fun while it lasted and I still have like $4 on a gc to use up there. We stopped at Krispy Kreme in the big city yesterday, got b1g1 dozen and had $6 in gcs from pay with Ibotta that I got many months ago, finally used them up!

Stopped at Staples and Office Depot, also in the big city. Got 6 pencil boxes and 6 composition books for the shoeboxes. If I don't get them now, they jump in price. Still have to get crayons. Did my ink recycling at both, it's double recycling at Staples now and dropped my 10 in, and our OD is closing, so they no longer take the recycling but since I was in the big city, stopped by and dropped those off. It will be much more challenging to use up the rewards, since the closest of both Staples and OD will be an hour away now.

Picked up some cheap milk and eggs at the Meijer, now that ours is back up to expensive, it's nice to get them cheap in another town. Also found a clearance baby toy tractor for a shower next week and picked up a TMF box of cat litter.

16. Gardencook

Big Lots offered coupon loaded to our card this weekend for a free small bag of freeze-dried fruit and we also got a $5/$15 reward coupon so went to use those coupons. We opted for freeze-dried strawberries which should be tasty.

Light bulbs were buy one, get one half off and they had restocked, so we were able to get three-way bulbs for our living room at a discounted price. I was disappointed that they were out of them when we went to the store the other day.

At the grocery store we had a digital best customer coupon for a free bag of M&Ms and they had almond ones in stock -- which wasn't the case the other day.

Annie's Graham Cracker Bunnies were Buy one, get one free. We bought four boxes and two 50 cent digital coupons came off the ones we purchased.

We also have a special promotion offering us $5 off our next grocery purchase each time we purchase $20 worth of produce. It looks as if our produce purchases accumulate if we make smaller purchases, but the wording is confusing so I'm not quite sure. I've got to keep an eye on our receipts when we make smaller purchases.

We were close to the threshold the other day, so I found a few more items to make sure we qualified. That meant that today $5 came off our total at the end of the transaction.

Excited about this offer -- especially if our purchases accumulate -- because it is unlimited and goes through the beginning of October.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  17. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Friday I picked up a bottle of beauty 360 body wash at CVS for .21 after using a $4/1 acne, facial or body wash.
    On my next order I wanted to use a 40% off coupon on a 16 oz bottle of made in America hand sanitizer...but the cashier informed me the product was on sale...so it wouldn’t work....
    but he mentioned the $4/1 coupon was still showing on my card and I was able to get the bottle for .53

18. Gardencook

We got 12 containers of Tillamook Yogurt for 29 cents each today using a digital store coupon.

We had a digital coupon for 65 cents off one container of Oikos Triple Zero and it was on sale for $1. When I went to pick it up, it was getting close to pull date and they had marked it down to 40 percent off retail -- 95 cents. It wasn't a huge savings over sale price (competitors have been putting it on sale for 88 cents), however, after coupon we got one container for 30 cents.

Dropped by our regular store on the way home and it looks like our produce purchases today may have qualified us for another $5 off on our next grocery purchase. Still not sure how to read the information on our receipt so we'll see next trip.

We also had a coupon for 50 cents off two Butterfinger Bars and they were Buy two, Get one free. Not free, but $1.50 for three wasn't too bad.

I was supposed to pick up a free container of yogurt, but got the brand sitting next to the free one by mistake. :oops: We'll have to pick up that next time.

Unfortunately, after we got home we realized the coupon offering us 200 fuel points for purchasing a gift card didn't credit, so we're going to have to take care of that at the customer service desk on our next visit.

jcdamomma, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  19. jastwins

At King Kullen, I did get one free Dannon Oikos yogurt with my double coupon. If I spent more than $25 I could get a box of Honey Bunches of O's for .99 cents. I picked up 2 boxes but one was the wrong size and when I went back today, the lady let me exchange it and gave me a refund.
    After work I went to CVS and forgot to get a good deal on Persil. : (
    I did find 2 boxes CVS Daytime cold & Flu daytime cold medicines on 75% clearance and a bottle of Robitussin liquid cold medicine on 75 % clearance plus I used a $1.25 coupon.
    Bubly sparkling water , 8 packs were on sale 2/$6 and I had a $2 peelie coupon making them 2/$4. I found Biore cleanser on clearance for $4.29 and I used a $2 coupon. Two box of Kellogs pastry crisps were $1.99 each.
    I used my $10 carepass, $1 ecr mailer, $1 off 2 Kelloggs digital coupon and the coupons listed above to pay $4.62 OOP for everything including tax and bottle deposits.

jcdamomma, Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  20. Gardencook

I picked up the correct free Oikos yogurt at the store a couple days ago and forgot to mention it.

Found a 7-pound bag of IAMS Cat Food on clearance for $3.29 (retail about $13). We had a $3 coupon so it cost us 29 cents.

jcdamomma, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
Moderators: KimShaw