What are you getting Cheap or FREE in April 2021?

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
Welcome to April and no April Fool's jokes from me! Where are those deals? Winter clothes should be on clearance, but some parts of NY may have had some snow overnight. Easter is next Sunday, so look for clearance on chocolate because, well, who does not love chocolate? Crankie claims he is allergic to chocolate, but I say "more for me" ! Easter themed home decor and some Easter dresses will go on sale next week so scoop up those bargains.

Here are some other items that usually go on sale in April: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/what-to-buy-every-month

As you find those deals, please post and I will do the same. Try to shop ahead for Mother's day and maybe even Christmas!?!
Have a great rest of the week and Happy Easter and Happy Passover to those who celebrated last weekend.

jastwins

Trader Group
All three daughters get their second free Covid shots this month. My town is providing 150 more shots to parents and students starting April 7. This would become a virtual learning day and I still get paid. If they need volunteers, I will be there.

jastwins

Trader Group
Today at the bank, I found an email that will get me a free fleece shirt with our new bank logo on it.

Another not so great surprise was a strange text from the labor dept and a phone call from Human Resources asking me if I placed a application for unemployment from the state of Florida!!!! CAN you say Identity theft!!! I confirmed it was not me and filed a report with the dept of Labor. My next action is to get credit monitoring since this person had my ssn and information. I suspect there has been a breach at my bank and that they are too busy with the merger to notice and I and another employee in my branch were victims of the same scam.

I am now researching identity theft protection programs to see what is the right one for me.

Today at the bank, I found an email that will get me a free fleece shirt with our new bank logo on it.

Another not so great surprise was a strange text from the labor dept and a phone call from Human Resources asking me if I placed a application for unemployment from the state of Florida!!!! CAN you say Identity theft!!! I confirmed it was not me and filed a report with the dept of Labor. My next action is to get credit monitoring since this person had my ssn and information. I suspect there has been a breach at my bank and that they are too busy with the merger to notice and I and another employee in my branch were victims of the same scam.

I am now researching identity theft protection programs to see what is the right one for me.
if it is your bank they should pay for your id theft protection.

mtka

Trader Group
@jastwins this is happening a lot in Kentucky. The govt said most of the unemployment claims are now fraudulent. People from all over the country are getting notices that they filed for unemployment and they've never been here. It has to be a major breach from somewhere, but it could have happened at any time.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Picked up a free Bolt24 Energy drink with a digital coupon today. I wasn't terribly enthused when the coupon arrived, but after reading the label at the store it sounded more promising. Basically, it is water, fruit juice and stevia with some electrolytes. Not quite as much a chemical cocktail as most of them are. Looking forward to giving it a try, but I already had an AHA with electrolytes open in the car waiting for me so it will wait until another day.

As far as the unemployment situation goes, Washington State sent BILLIONS of dollars in unemployment stimulus money that unemployed residents needed to Nigeria in a fraud scheme. Last I heard, those whose benefits were stolen had little hope they'd ever recover anything, despite the fact the state was at fault.

Nobody seems to know what is going on in Oregon State. Washington Legislators were writing the Oregon Labor Department on behalf of their constituents who still hadn't received rightfully earned unemployment several months ago, but the legislators requests for information were being totally ignored -- as were all of those claimants who hadn't received their unemployment. Since when do government employees feel they are NOT answerable to the legislative branch of government?

Then a story that has gotten a little more publicity is the California unemployment/Bank of America mess where huge volumes of unemployment compensation was to prisoners who then siphoned it off to friends and relatives. Meanwhile, those unemployed individuals who rightfully should have gotten the money found zero balances in their accounts after they FINALLY got large sums of unemployment MONTHS after it was due. Many of them were months behind on their rent and other bills and those who used the money to pay their bills found negative balances in their accounts and are apparently now responsible for paying it all back!

It seems to be a mess all over. :(

jastwins

Trader Group
Crankie got free frozen porterhouse steaks , leftover from a steak dinner at the yacht club and we will have them tomorrow.

At a yard sale was a free box and I picked up an open bag of Tide pods and 2 open bottles of Unstoppables.
I earned $10.50 from the Amazon shoppers panel and won an Amazon gc for $10 in a water drinking / exercise challenge.

flowerkitty

Super Swapper
Trader Group
I went to Lowe’s on Tuesday in search of cheap bamboo toilet paper.
I did not find the 4packs I had read about.
I did find single toilet paper rolls for .13 each. Some were similar to Scott’s, Northern and a third choice was packaged in paper so I could not see it.
I think regular price was .39 per roll.
I have read that the barge that was stuck in the Suez canal contained product for toilet paper production. Since production was delayed the price is scheduled to increase.
I don’t know. It may be fear mongering...

jastwins

Trader Group
I received a Pinch me box on the mail that contained contact lens solution, wipes , eye drops and vitamin c powder.
I finally hung a handmade wreath on my front door after buying a large command hook. The large grapevine and floral wreath cost me $5 at a yard sale.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Yesterday, my coworker gave me a free jar of homemade horseradish. Crankie will love it! A local group gathers at a farm and makes horseradish. They had over 200 people who basically make it a tailgate party to get the process done. Your reward is free horseradish. LOL
I remember my mother making homemade horseradish exactly ONCE in my childhood. Those were the days before anything fancy like a food processor and she used her meat grinder. She was crying so hard she couldn't see what she was doing even though she had all the windows and doors in the house wide open! :oops: :D

She had a plant, but of course it multiplied like crazy in a climate and soil like she had in the Pacific Northwest. After her experience, she didn't really want it any longer and it took her years of digging to finally get rid of the stuff.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We picked up a free 25-ounce bottle of Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice at Big Lots today -- along with a few other groceries we picked up, of course.

They are in the process of remodeling and moving things around in the store, so it is kind of hard to find things. They've got a new confusing "maze" that leads to the registers now -- like the ones they have at TJ Maxx. The problem is, they don't have any signage up yet explaining where to find the entrance which made it "interesting."

jastwins

Trader Group
Make sure to check your bank accounts daily. My debit card was hit for 4 charges yesterday since someone joined Walmart plus in Raleigh NC using my information. I contacted my bank and they will send me a new debit card in 2 days at no charge and refund the fraud charges totaling $135. Ugh!!!

Gardencook

Trader Group
DH got a B1G1 deal on his last prescription for glasses. According to the optometrist his prescription had barely changed, but DH had broken his glasses and needed a new pair.

The hinge on one pair of the last ones broke and the other pair was on the verge of breaking. Besides that, he hadn't had an eye exam in long enough that he needed to get one.

He booked an appointment months ago. I went along to drive home when his pupils were dilated and knew the news wasn't good when it took so long for him to emerge from his examination.

The doctor found the start of a cataract and wanted DH to see an ophthalmologist, but you need a referral to get into one. He was told the ones in town are backed up and it would take a while for them to get to him, but it wasn't urgent. Meanwhile, he didn't want him to get new glasses, because the ophthalmologist might change the prescription depending on what he decided to do.

Soon it was the end of the year and during that time period we weren't surprised when we never heard back from the clinic that was supposed to call.

As the weeks passed in the new year I nagged, but DH just kept telling me THEY were supposed to call him and he was still waiting.

Then his last pair of glasses broke. :(

He's been walking around for a few weeks wearing broken glasses while I continued to try and get him to call. FINALLY, the other day he gave his eye doctor's office a call and they were stunned that he'd never gotten a call back. They got on top of it and he finally got a call from the ophthalmologist's office a day or two later. He can't get in for an appointment for another month.

Apparently, today the broken glasses finally drove him crazy enough that he took his last three pairs into the place where he got them and asked if there was any way to repair any of them. They told him they didn't have the parts on hand and would have to order them. He asked if they could suggest a place that could fix them and was told to try Walmart.

The gal at Walmart vanished into the back with his glasses and took quite a while, but she emerged with all three pairs fixed!

DH asked what he owed and she told him "Nothing."

So after months of worrying about what was going to happen with DH's glasses -- he's required to wear them to drive -- he now has three nearly new pairs for no OOP cost.

That gives him nearly one pair every week until he gets his appointment. Hopefully, he won't go through all of those before then.

Last edited: