What are you getting Cheap or FREE in April 2020?

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, Apr 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Went to town yesterday. Nothing at Kroger or Tractor Supply was free nor cheap. We did, however, get a free Dave's single at Wendy's with the purchase of $1 chicken sandwich. Pretty cheap lunch.

2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We picked up our free Doritos Locos Tacos and free senior drinks at Taco Bell this afternoon along with several other items to fill out a meal.

3. mtka

Went down to the Earth Day plant giveaway around 10:30 ish, it was 9-4:30 or wsl. Apparently there was a long line at opening time and everything was gone really fast. Nothing for us. We did then go to Wendy's again, another 99¢ chicken sandwich and this time got a free kids meal for my mom. She enjoyed the custom hamburger, we shared the fries, and I got a juice in the fridge for another day. We stopped by Chick Fil-A a little later to pick up some nuggets for dinner. Got the 12 count, spent over $5 for the Bud rebate, and the only receipt I got was a sticker with the price paid, doesn't even say the name of the joint. We shall still enjoy the nuggets for dinner, along with some free asparagus from the garden.

Cathy, Sherri1480, jcdamomma and 3 others like this.
  4. Gardencook

Picked up three containers of cottage cheese free (actually a mm) after SB rebate a couple days ago.

Today we used some free coupons that had been piling up because they were rather complicated for DH to use.

We got a Cat coupon for a free Hummingbar snack at the register several weeks ago, but I was afraid DH wouldn't be able to find it.

We also had a coupon for a free natural foods yogurt that was about to expire as well as a package of some veggie "meat."

We also had a digital coupon that got us a free canister of oatmeal when we bought shake-ins to go on top.

We had nearly $13 in quarterly rewards from the store that were going to expire in a couple days, so that cut nearly 50 percent off our final bill. Wish we could do that every time.

5. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

This morning I took my mom shopping at ShopRite in her town. I scouted out any coupon deals I could find, but it wasn’t much.
    Ortega products were $1.25 an I bought 2 bowl kits and 2 vegan refried beans. I used 2 $1.00/2 coupons making each product .75 cents each.
    Two Sundown vitamins were 1/2 price and I used $2 digital coupon on both. A small bottle of melatonin cost me .79 cents and a bottle of calcium, magnesium & zinc cost me .89 cents.
    Another great purchase was 30 rolls of Shop rite bowl & basket 1000 sheet rolls of toilet paper for $15.99. I was happy they had it available it was a better deal than the 12 roll pack that was on sale for $7.99. You could only buy one pack of TP so I bought the most they had.
    Our receipts got us .50 cents from Ckout 51 and .20 cents from Ibotta.

Sherri1480, Cathy, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  6. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

I picked up some marshmallow peeps packages for DH today at dollar tree...they were on clearance for .25 each .
    I also picked up some birthday cards for summer birthdays, cleaning brushes, and a nice pair of latex gloves.

7. jastwins

Yesterday at CVS I used my 25 % off mailer coupon to buy the cvs brand of Unscented soap($6.79) for D1. On my card was a $2 / $6 Cvs soap purchase. I also used the 25 % coupon buying 2 tubes of Eucerin ointment (15.79 And 7.99) that was Spend $20 get $10 e c r.
    I used $3 beauty bucks and paid $20.71 with tax Oop and received $10 e c r . I saved $6.35 with the 25%

8. jastwins

The Shop Talk survey site sent me an email telling me I will receive a $15 g c for my monthly participation.
    By the end of the month I should receive an email to order my $20 g c from SBKC

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  9. jastwins

While I am at my mom and dad’s this week, I brought her some curtains and valences to redo for me. She took the curtains and made a second set of valences for one of the bedrooms. She put together 2 ruffled valences to make one. Each set will look great in both the twins’ rooms. I am so glad this gave mom a project to work on and it kept her busy. My sister had given me the curtains and we found them during a closet clean out. So they were free!

jcdamomma, flowerkitty, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  10. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

I had placed an order for a package of 6 Mother’s Day cards from Hallmark.com.on Thursday & they arrived on Monday.
    I paid around $3.50 for the 6 cards.
    (Gold card members get free shipping & I had a code for - $4 in my account).

11. mtka

@Gardencook I finally did the cottage cheese deal at SB. I did 4 SB deals for a $54 mm. The cottage cheese @ Kroger, Lexol and Armor All @ Advanced Auto, and Eagle One @ Autozone. I wish I could have done more of the auto ones, as they are 1x a week, but let's just say the ones I stopped at yesterday didn't really practice social distancing and touchie touchied everything I bought. I cashed out some $ at Fetch for a Advanced Auto egc, only for him to grab my phone because he couldn't see it through the sneeze shield. Luckily I have many supplies in the car: wipes, spray, gel.

jcdamomma, jastwins and Sherri1480 like this.
  12. Gardencook

I've had so much going on in my life with Mom's death/dealing with Hospice incompetence etc. so I'd never really done the in-store deals with SB. When they first started out, the few offers available to us weren't anything we needed or deals worth doing. Decided to test them out this month for the first time.

I had a hassle with getting credit for the cottage cheese deal when I did it a second week as the rules allowed. SB only gave me 100 SB instead of 1,500 on the second week.

Sent in a ticket and they gave it to me -- but it didn't go toward daily goal. Sent an instant message on the FB page, because others were complaining about the same problem and the moderator there got it credited to their daily goal. Saw the moderator started to answer several times then stopped. Instead I was ignored.

Replied to my ticket explaining the problem and someone went in on my account, removed the original 1,400 SB adjustment and added it back in EXACTLY the same way as the first time so it STILL didn't go toward daily goal. Don't know what good that did other than claiming they "fixed" it.

Never did get a response to my reply or instant message. Apparently, SB was afraid it would have to pay a big six whole cents more if I made second goal! :(

Didn't exactly leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. I honestly considered not messing with the in-store deals, but the past couple days I reluctantly cringed about doing a couple more second time deals to test them out. I had decided if the others were as big a hassle as that one I wouldn't risk doing ANY in-store deals at all in the future. That's exactly why I quit doing SB surveys years ago.

At least the last couple deals did credit without the hassle a couple days ago. So now I've moved from extremely turned-off to wondering how many headaches there will be if I continue to do them. Not exactly a way to encourage people to do future offers. :confused:

13. jastwins

I find the deals on SB good if I can find the products. I would buy them if I was in the correct store during the right time. I have uploaded a few deals that worked and they did get added to my daily goal.
    Today was an annoying shopping day at cvs but I do not expect much from them any more.
    I bought 3 skintimate 4ct razor packs(buy 3 get $5 ecr)1 Gillette power glide razor(buy 1 get $3 ecr used $2 mfg coupon), 1 sure deodorant, 4 Nabisco cookies $1 each (used 2 $1/2 coupon making 2 boxes free)and one Dawn spray liquid($1 online coupon). I should have gotten back $10 in ecr and the self checkout register tape stopped working after just the $3 ecr printed. The person “helping” at the register knew nothing, told me the wrong info and had to ask someone else for help. I was so annoyed I forgot about the $2 ecr for the sure deodorant. Ugh . My other error was not spending .04 cents more and my coupon $4/2 skintimate razors was rejected. I paid $5.22 OOP including tax(got back $10 ecr but not really) Live and learn. Just buy more.
    The second order was worse and I had to fight them to take off $5 ecr as a coupon. Then, no receipt printed out and I had to wait online. All the self checkout registers went down and others got to checkout with a person while I just stood there waiting. Beyond frustrating.

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and mtka like this.
  14. Gardencook

I kind of wanted to do at least one of the car products offers @mtka. The products for at least a couple offers were supposedly in stock at two or three different auto parts stores with unique offers. However, when we were first married DH used Armor-all on the dashboard of his car and it cracked right afterward. He hasn't quite trusted the stuff since.

Meanwhile, I've never understood WHY Idahoans don't wash their cars at home like we did in Washington, but they prefer to pay. It isn't just my husband, EVERYONE around here seems to think that is the way it is done -- and I remember my cousin's husband on the other side of the state using an automatic wash when I was a child. :rolleyes:

That's why I wasn't surprised that even though the deal with the big bottle of car wash was a good money-maker, it fell flat when I mentioned it to DH.

Of course, then DH drove those very same auto parts stores last night when he was trying to get the lawn mower going for the season. The first place had the spark plug he needed, but not the air filter so he went to the second to get that.

And while he was digging out the lawn mower last night, he discovered three 52-ounce jugs of Dial liquid hand soap!

I vaguely remember buying them at our discount store a couple years ago -- for a couple dollars each on a buy two, get one free sale. It was too good to pass up, but I had forgotten them after he "lost" them in the garage.

People would have gone wild to find those on store shelves the past several weeks, but I've gotten decent deals on individual bottles the past couple years so we were well stocked and didn't miss them.

Free hand soap was NEVER something we got in our region of the country, however, now that DH "rediscovered" them it is almost like getting them free.

In addition to the cottage cheese offers, we were able to get free/money-maker Indian sauces with SB offers. Thankfully, those worked without having to submit tickets.

They weren't free, but there was also a decent offer on Scotch-Brite sponges that made them about 3o cents each after rebate. We use them ALL the time and they are SO ridiculously priced that I always try to grab a deal when I find one.

Our little discount store used to have really great deals on O-Cello scrub sponges, but unhappily those days are gone. They've really raised their prices on many things the past couple years and the SB deal was much better than I could get at the discount store.

DH ran across town to pick up a B1G1 free offer on battered fish fillets and some other groceries the other day. While he was there I had him use some Monopoly free coupons we'd gotten. He got a free single-serve yogurt. We had two coupons for free doughnuts, but he said they only had one in the case. We also had two coupons for free boxes of organic animal crackers, but again, he only found one in stock.

The new Monopoly tickets on his purchases got us a coupon for a free can of veggies and some more tokens. We also won a B1G1 free bowling game which we may never use.

In addition to those deals, we got our second set of free Hallmark cards in the mail a couple days ago and we've been using the Taco Bell drive-thru on Tuesdays when they offer free Doritos Locos Tacos and free senior drinks. Of course, we always pick up additional items to fill out a cheap meal.

Yesterday's mail brought a free Peter, Paul and Mary CD from our PBS station. Technically, it wasn't free because we had to make a donation to get it, but with that donation we also get a PBS Passport membership which allows us access to a huge library of past PBS programming -- beyond the two weeks the general public is allowed.

We also get an occasional invitation to preview a program before it is shown on television. We got to see the second season premier of Victoria a couple years ago. The costumes were spectacular on a big screen. We got an invitation to an Outdoor Idaho premier last autumn, but couldn't make it.

Today's mail brought a monthly mailer with coupons for area fast food restaurants and a packet of best customer coupons for our usual grocery store. Since most of the digital coupons have been pretty low value and mega sales bit the dust with COVID-19 they were a welcome arrival.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  15. jastwins

My sister was cleared to go back to work today and she stopped by my mom’s to say hi. She bought us all handmade cloth masks from a pharmacy near her house. I have enough for me and my girls. Mom and dad got new ones too.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  16. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Let me see...

I filled my gas tank last week when gas was $1.35/gallon. I had enough fuel points at Kroger to get $1 off per gallon. So it cost a total of $4.65 to fill the tank! :D

Two days ago, I plugged in the hair dryer to dry my hair. Nothing! It didn't make a sound. My hair isn't the type that can dry naturally, and not scare people when they see me, so I had a moment of panic. But then I remembered that my SIL brought over a tote full of hair dryers and curling irons from her hair stylist last month. They were meant to be sold at our JDRF garage sale, but with COVID19, we've had to postpone it. So, I dug through the tote, and found one I really like. I'm sure it cost more than I've ever spent on a hair dryer! But, I stuck $5 in the box where I've been stashing quarters and ones (if we ever get to have the sale!).

Yesterday we decided to "help the economy" by buying a new vehicle. We weighed the pros and cons for over a week, then finally bought it. My husband retired from GM when they closed all the plants here in 2006, so he got a discount. And, they were giving another $4700 off. So we saved about $7000. It's not cheap...but it was a good savings!

17. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

I just went out to the garden, and harvested enough asparagus for tonight's dinner! I love free produce!

Also, I checked my bank account, and Nationwide deposited my $50 coronavirus rebate! Yay!

18. Gardencook

Nothing too big, but I did a few more SB rebates today which proved "interesting," but did eventually credit.

There were three 20 SB offers that interested me and we picked up the items a couple days ago to "test" the waters. Still a little wary after how one offer went this week.

Kroger had Yoplait Yogurt on sale for 39 cents this week and I couldn't do the SB offer earlier because we had two printable and one insert coupon for 50 cents on five that couldn't be used along with SB.

It was a good enough price that we went ahead and bought more without a coupon before the sale went off Tuesday. We submitted that receipt for SB -- one carton of which would then be 19 cents. However, the little gear-pedaling chipmunk first claimed we didn't buy the yogurt (we bought SIX) and then when I tried submitting the receipt again told me my purchase was "under review."

There was also a Del Monte veggie offer good at Walmart and another good on StarKist Tuna. The tuna is only 72 cents at our store which made it 52 cents after rebate -- a no-brainer.

The veggie one was a little trickier because regular price at our store is 98 cents on most veggies and the price had to be at least 99 cents according to the fine print. However, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a can of beets on hand and those are $1.14 at our store. They never go on any sort of sale so I rarely buy them.

The beets went through without a problem, but the chipmunk apparently didn't like the deal we got on tuna. First, he said he couldn't see the purchase and when I submitted the receipt a second time it came up "under review" like the yogurt. :rolleyes:

I went to do something else and only a few minutes later the SB for the yogurt purchase popped onto my ledger. It took several more hours before the tuna offer credited.

I was a bit worried about that one since the tuna was showing with the offers when I submitted the receipt, but a couple hours later they had removed it. (Today was the last day.) However, in the end I guess it worked out okay and I did get credit without having to send in tickets on any of the three offers.

19. jastwins

I tried to shop today but the Shop rite by moms house had a long line and I did not wait. So I ventured by Advanced Auto parts store to try the 3000 pt deal on armor all products. One item I know is right and not sure about the second one. My receipt was rejected and then accepted to be under review by the chipmunks. Fingers crossed that I get something. Glad I looked at it today and realized mom has lots more stores by her than I do by me.
    I still have not seen any of my missing e c r s from Cvs. I will call them tomorrow. As I passed a cvs with no line, I parked and went in but no paper towels at this store. I cannot even find items in stock to get my Ibotta total to a cash out level. I picked up some snacks, cookies and unscented wipes. The unscented cvs3 pack of wipes used both my 25 % and my Carepass 20 % Cvs coupon. (Saved$2.92)I also got back $1.25 for buying 2 chips ahoy cookies. I also bought Easter chocolate on sale 50% off.
    I stopped by the hardware store to buy my Dad new gloves since his hands get cold. He was wearing 2 unmatched gloves so these $2.99 gloves are worth every penny and it made him happy!

Moderators: KimShaw