What are you getting Cheap or FREE in April 2020?

Discussion in 'The Daily Frugal: Living Life Pennywise' started by jastwins, Apr 1, 2020.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Well, where do I begin? Never did I think that in April 2020, we would be in the situation we are in now. Social distancing, distance learning, face masks and gloves worn by the masses and food stores wiped out! Co Vid 19 has thrown the world for a loop. One of my favorite FB posts was about re-installing 2020 because it has a virus!
    Maybe there are still deals to be had out there, so if you find them, lets hear about them. It probably won't at my IGA where there are no sales, they only let 15 people in at a time, no TP and you can only buy 1 milk, 1 carton of eggs, 1 roll of paper towels and 2 yogurts. Have you overpaid for an item just because you needed it? How about $5.89 for a bag of King Arthur's flour?
    Tell us about any deals, good or bad. Some department stores may be reopening, so keep us posted on those too.
    Stay healthy and well!

2. jastwins

I finally got my 2200 points today on Swagbucks and was able to cash out for a $25 CVS G c ! :D Woohoo!
    CVS gcs are back on Swagbucks after being taken away 2 years ago.

3. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

At the beginning of March, I got an email from Quaker which said that if I bought 3 boxes of their bars, scanned the receipt, and filled out the form, I could get a llama beach towel for free. I bought the bars on sale at Kroger, and then totally forgot about it until yesterday. I submitted my info and the receipt, and got an email saying that it will be mailed out in 6-8 weeks. Yay! It's a birthday or Christmas gift for my teenage granddaughter.

itsfun2save, Cathy, Jorainna and 6 others like this.
  4. greenfrog57

greenfrog57 Mod Of The Month July 2011 Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Trader Group

I think the only thing we will be getting cheap or free for our family will be gifted from our generous and lovely neighbor. She loves to leave goodies on "the food chair" on my porch. She is a nurse who is still working at the local hospital doing admits from the ER (so in the thick of the craziness). My husband is also in healthcare & still working (cut hours though) so I had him apply for the free burritos from Chipotle for next week's appreciation event.

Cathy, Jorainna, jcdamomma and 3 others like this.
  5. jastwins

Yesterday, I had to run a few errands and decided to stop in CVS to use my gc and ecr. How sad is it when you cannot spend them since they do not have the items you want in stock. After my last fiasco with b1g1 coupons, I figured out that the ecr act as coupons and make a deduction from the total amount and lowers the coupon amount taken off. If I did not use ecrs and just used a gift card, I would get the full amount deducted. Voila, it worked. I was able to get a free Garnier hair mousse and free garnier skin care item. They did not have in stock the Garnier Olia hair dye, b1g1 with cvs q. I ended up buying 2 colgate toothpastes ($3.49 get 2 ecr limit 2), 2 cans of Pringles and the Garnier skin care was buy 2 and get back $5 ecr. I did not use any mfg coupons with this order since they were expired. After some difficulty at self checkout the girl rang me up and I paid$2.57 OOP for 8 items after using a $25 gc, the b1g1 coupons from cvs and received $9 in ecr.

At Kmart, I used a $20 gc from SBKC to pay .54 cents for 24 items. I found 5 Rimmel makeups on markdown and had $2 coupons for each one.
    They cost me .50 cents or $1. They had more markdowns on Dijon mustard and honey mustard so I cleared the shelf about 9 bottles @ .50 cents each. Also will try some horseradish spread, so I took all 2 at .50 cents each. I found 2 bags of Diamond pecans at $2.99 each on markdown and 2 trailmixes at .60 cents each. I picked up 4 more spices on markdown at .74 or .50 cents each.
    Stores are closing earlier and I had 10 minutes to shop in King Kullen. I was able to get 3 bags of Quaker rice cakes (totally rebelling against the limit of 2 on every item....LOL) and 2 half gallons of milk and 2 Friendly's ice creams, on sale for $3.99 and i used a $1 coupon that doubled making each $2.99.
    Yesterday, I received a $10 settlement check in the mail and deposited it to my account.

Cathy, Jorainna, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  6. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Having to do a grocery run about every 4 days it seems. I dreaded going into a big Marketplace Kroger but it was right next door to the pet store where hubby needed me to get crickets for his tarantulas - curb service for it now.

Anyhow, the Kroger gas was at $1.42. I am not sure why but they had all their gallons of milk on sale for .25 a gallon!o_O The dates on some were good to next week. I didn't get any as my fridge is not keeping things cold or frozen right now except in a few spots. Eggs had shot up to $1.69 a dozen when two weeks ago they were .89

There is no rice to be had - they said the warehouse has been depleted. My husband can only have white rice and he was eating the for lunch every day with broccoli ... oh well ...

7. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We had a Best Customer Coupon for a free pizza that was about to expire, so when DH was running errands Friday he picked up that.

He found some markdown stir-fry kits and a $1 coupon brought one of them down to 49 cents.

We also had a $1 Bob's Red Mill coupon about to expire, so got a bag of cornmeal for $1.29.

Not the cheapest deal, but I had a couple coupons on potatoes and since the price on potatoes has been high I figured it wouldn't be bad to have a few more. He got a few red potatoes and some gourmet blue potatoes.

He got a couple markdown bags with about four or five large bakers each, as well.

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  8. jastwins

I earned a $10 Amazon GC from the oneVoice panel and applied it to my Amazon account. On Amazon I ordered a thermometer since I cannot find the only one I have. It should be here by the end of the week. No OOP since I used my g c to pay for it. I decided to spend the rest of my gcs to order some snacks, juice and food from what little they had to offer.
    Most excited to know that they had decaf Lipton tea (75 ct) and it will be here by the end of the week. The remaining 14 items will arrive around April 25th. My OOP was .89 cents with tax included.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Sherri1480, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  9. XUfan

Well, it's not free...but it's a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

When I was cleaning out my little bin where I stash receipts, etc., I found $10 Kohl's cash. I logged on to Kohl's and saw that I had also earned $5, and they are having a 20% off promo. So, I ordered 3 packs of kitchen towels and a set of steak knives (which we've been saying for 3 months that we needed to get!). With all of the discounts, it came to a little over $30...and that includes the $8.95 for delivery because I'm not going out to pick up stuff we could wait for!

10. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

The first was a no-brainer. I earned a $10 Amazon Gift Card from the Bank of America Advisory Panel for answering various surveys and deposited it into my Amazon account.

The second was much more problematic. Like every other American, I will be receiving $1200 in a few weeks which is aimed at stimulating the American economy. This left me with an ethical problem -- I will undoubtedly be spending money in Israel but that does not help the American economy. Should I use the money for a purpose for which it is not intended?

Instead, I decided to donate it to a food bank in the U.S. which is making a particularly strong effort to feed people who have no income because of the coronavirus lockdown. I found several which qualify, but as a born-and-bred Brooklynite, I chose the Food Bank for NYC.

My two (adult) children will each receive the stimulus payments but while they have American citizenship, they have no emotional attachment to the U.S. We came to a compromise and they agreed to transfer their payments to their U.S. brokerages and then spend it to buy stock in American corporations. That will actually help stimulate the American economy more than my Food Bank contribution.

11. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Instead, I decided to donate it to a food bank in the U.S. which is making a particularly strong effort to feed people who have no income because of the coronavirus lockdown. I found several which qualify, but as a born-and-bred Brooklynite, I chose the Food Bank for NYC.

Fillies Fan: I am so impressed by this action...I have been trying to decide how much I can afford to donate and to what group. The tendency for me is to go with my church, who will then give as it sees fit to help the needy. I admire your generosity!

12. jastwins

@Fillies Fan thank you for being so generous and donating the funds to a worthy cause. So many people are out of work now and the funds will provide food to those in need. Each morning, I help pack up 47 breakfast and lunch meals for some school kids. Some of their parents may be out of work so the little kids are happy to see someone from our school delivering food.

13. XUfan

I posted this on the KFR thread. But I thought I'd post it here too. I know this thread is for what we GET free, but (like the very generous Fillies Fan), I thought what we GIVE for free is important now too.

In case anyone is feeling generous with any points they have built up:

You can help too
    KFR points can help

One way you can quickly help our food bank partners is to donate your Kellogg's Family Rewards® points to Feeding America. Every dollar you give can provide at least 10 meals to families in need through the Feeding America network of food banks. To make your points go further to help more people, we are reducing the $1 donation from 1,000 points to 500 and the $5 donation from 5,000 points to 2,500 points.

During this current crisis, your points can make an even
    bigger difference for Feeding America. It’s easy.

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  14. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I picked up some Arby's yesterday. We used a coupon and got 5 sliders for $5, plus a value curly fry. That was lunch and dinner yesterday (plus some frozen fries) and a lunch for me today. I will submit that receipt to Bud and get $5 for the pay it forward rebate. Also got milk for under a $1/gallon. Got 2 at Walmart and 2 at Kroger pick ups. Eggs were cheap there too. Got 50¢ back from C51 on the eggs and a banana.

15. jastwins

I forgot to post last week a friend gave us fresh caught scallops and baked us 2 loaves of zucchini bread. Frank has helped them by doing some off island errands for them and they wanted to say thank you. The man's wife has a chronic condition and was just put on oxygen last month. She does not need to risk getting Covid 19 so she does not go out much. We used to meet for breakfast on Weekends and I miss this very much. Social distancing is necessary but tough for so many.

After going through their sister's clothing that she was giving away, d1 and d3 helped themselves to a few things. LOL free shopping and delivery.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  16. XUfan

Every time my husband buys something at Lowe's, Home Depot, or Menards, I keep the reciept...just in case he changes his mind, or it doesn't work the way he wanted it to. Yesterday, he found some items we bought last year, when we were trying out different looks for the kitchen remodel that we never did. He wants to return them at some point, so he asked if I had the receipts. When I was looking through them, I unfolded them to see what each one was for. I was pleasantly surprised to find a $5 bill folded up in one of the receipts!

I'm counting it as free money, since the receipt was over a year old. I'm also donating it to JDRF...when and if we ever have the garage sale!

17. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Yesterday we got free Doritos Locos Tacos and senior drinks at Taco Bell -- along with some other items to fill out a meal.

I also had DH pick up a couple bath poufs on a shopping trip several days ago. They showed up as qualifying on the store app and were supposed to be free after digital coupon, however, the coupon didn't come off at the register.

Yesterday he went to the customer service counter and they were good about refunding the money.

18. XUfan

I almost never post to this thread, because it's become more and more difficult to find free or really cheap things. But...here we are in a crazy quarantine situation, and I've actually got something to post!

I got an email from Sprint (my phone carrier), asking me to download their rewards app. Just for doing this (which took less than 5 seconds), they gave me a $5 Amazon GC. Nice!

19. jastwins

Today was my shorter day at work and I ventured off island to do some shopping. I had extra care rewards for CVS and gift cards for Walmart.

My first stop was Big Lots and I was pleasantly surprised that they were not crowded and shopping was a breeze. I was also happy they let you use the restroom since Staples did not let you use their restrooms. Just another one of life's conveniences that now can be inconvenient due to stores closing or changing their policies.
    Big Lots had 3 pop tart snacks on sale for $2 each, 2 beans for .70 cents ea. 2 Libbys beets for .75 each, 32 pack of water for $3.25, Planet oat milk for $3.69 (should have bought 2). With tax and bottle deposit, I paid $17.72 OOp.

At CVS, I was surprised by the long line at the Pharmacy drive thru....it wrapped around the building. In the store the deals were not so great, but I had lots of extra care rewards to use and bought stuff for me and the girls. It was also the day that my carepass $10 credit hit my account. I bought hair care items for D3 and found 2 boxes of Kotex tampons on 75% clearance $2.74. After using a $2 coupon on hair care, and $1 coupon each on the tampons, I used $10 carepass and $3 beauty bucks and paid $2.10 with tax OOP for 4 items.
    My next order was for some food items and I would have bought more but CVS was out of stock on many sale items. I bought 1 Dove Easter chocolate for 50% off, 3 General mills cereals, 2 boxes of belvita biscuits, 1 box of Cap'n Crunch, 2 Natures bounty Women's gummy vitamins (b1g1) and 2 Neutrogena face wipes. I had a $4 cvs coupon for the face wipes, $2/8 breakfast coupon, $1 off 2 cereals and used, $2 off neutrogena coupon on my care card and $28 ecr and paid$8.28 OOP for 11 items. I received back $6 in ecr for the neutrogena purchase and over 500 Fetch points for the cereal purchase.
    At Aldi, I did get some good deals on food items, dairy and produce and vegan food for D2. I spent $43.90 OOP for 30 items in that store and got back .25 cents from Checkout 51. A 24 pack of water was $1.69 plus bottle deposit. Dark chocolate chips were $1.69 a bag and veggie burgers were $3.69. It was a short wait to get into the store and I spent the least amount of time in this store. I still could not find all the things on my list and did not have much luck at the other stores.
    Next was Walmart and I did get some deals there. I was happy to spend a $15 gc on my Walmart pay account and another $15 gc I printed. Some deals included Dannon Oikos yogurt for .22 cents after coupon. Two Tampax Radiant tampons were $3.97 each and I used a $3 coupon and got back $4 from Ibotta. Two Always Infiniti pads were $3.97 each, and after using a $3 coupon, I also got back $4 from Ibotta. I bought frozen items for D3 and one of them got me another $1 from Ibotta. For a shopping deal on Sb, I bought 2 Patak simmer sauces and got 800 swagbucks points. I also purchased dog biscuits, beans, plant butters, cashew butter, relish, frozen veggies, chickpeas and frozen vegan meals. After $30 in gcs, I paid $19.34 OOP and got back $9.10 from Ibotta.

My last stop was at ShopRite and I found small pasta shells on clearance for .70 cents. I picked up 5 Vintage flavored seltzers on sale 5 /$3. Someone gifted me Lightlife free coupons and I finally found some Lightlife hotdogs and sausage. Both cost $4.49 and the coupons took off $1 so the manager was very nice and got the correct amount deducted so both were free. If d3 likes it, I will pick up more before the coupons I have left expire. The store brand coffee pods were on sale for $2.99 and I bought 2. I picked up 10 cans of Arizona tea for my neighbor since I could not find gallons of the flavor he wanted in any other store. One Turkey hill iced tea 1/2 gallon was .88 cents after sale and coupon. I bought some produce, oat milk, half and half, meat and granola bars and paid $51.76 for 30 items. I got back .20 cents from Ibotta.

20. jastwins

Last week and this week, the essential staff at my school was treated to lunch by the family of the kids we are watching at daycare. It is very nice of them to think of us and they give business to a local restaurant.
    Not free, but I did find Lysol and Clorox wipes at the IGA 2 days in a row. No great deals, but I just have not see them in 6 weeks.
    I just put in for a free mask in a link provided here on HCW. I am happy to get any mask since I only have 2 and they are showing signs of wear. One does not make me happy and I was never claustrophobic, but the white puffy masks that cover your nose and mouth are very hot. I much prefer my surgical mask that the school nurse gave me.

My sister was in the hospital over the weekend.... this frightened me and I am happy to report she does NOT have covid 19. Her heart rate kept going up and was 120 when she went to urgent care by her home. She was admitted to the hospital overnight and needs to see a cardiologist. I will be heading to my parents later this week and stay with them for a week while my sister gets tests done and rests. When I told my job I would not be in this Friday and next week, they were very understanding. I feel guilty not showing up but maybe someone else that has not been in at all the last 5 weeks can come in and help with daycare and packing lunches.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
Moderators: KimShaw