Waikiki Meatballs (Post #4)

I

I'mASaver

Unfortunately my mother passed on suddenly when I was in my early 20's and took a lot of her recipes with her (she was a fabulous cook.) One I remember specifically was her Porcupine Balls. If I remember correctly it came from one of those Betty Crocker recipe file containers that would sit on the counter. She would get 10-12 cards each month and file them away in her box. Hers was Burnt Orange (Soooo '70's but would probably be quite chic today :hysterical:). Most of the one's posted on the internet are tomato based and the others that seem close are just not quite right. It's a combination of rice and ground meat formed in to balls and simmered (?) in a sauce of what I think is mixture of Pineapple Juice and something else. I have searched for this recipe for years and would LOVE it if someone had the original, what I think, is from Betty Crocker. It's more than just a recipe to me, it's a memory of family around the table. True comfort food at it's best.:smile:

S

SammysMom

I remember those well. I will make Porcupine meatballs every so often. I use rice and beef and for the gravy I make my own brown gravy. Ive never had them with tomatoes, doesnt sound good to me.

R

rstlswolf

The version of porcupine meat balls that i grew up on and fix is ground beef with rice and chopped onions. I brown them and then add in sliced mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup and milk or water to think the soup. This is a HUGE hit with my family. We serve it over pasta and everyone always go back for seconds.

S

suevin99

Hi Julie, :wavehi:

Here is the version I was given at my wedding shower. It doesnt have rice in it, but it does have the pineapple that you remember.

Waikiki Meatballs (Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library)

1 1/2 lb ground beef
2/3 cup cracker crumbs
1/3 cup onion; minced
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 cup milk; for meatballs
1 tbsp shortening
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup brown sugar; packed
1 (14 oz) can pineapple chunks in syrup, drained (reserve syrup)
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/3 cup green pepper; chopped

Mix the meat, crumbs, onion, egg, salt, ginger and milk. Shape into balls.

Melt shortening, brown and cook meatballs. Remove meat and keep warm, remove any fat.

Mix the cornstarch and sugar. Stir in the reserved pineapple syrup, vinegar, and soy sauce until smooth. Cook, stirring, until boiling. Boil and stir one minute.

Add meatballs pineapple and green pepper, heat through.

Source: Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library of 1971

HTH! Let me know if this is it! Maybe your mom added the rice herself?