Recipes - Question Vegetable stock - what to include?

C

couponcrazy5950

So, I am making some veggie stock tomorrow to use for soup on Saturday, in the slow cooker. I've been saving up my veggie scraps!

I keep reading conflicting suggestions, though, on what not to include. I have some cauliflower & asparagus (& maybe broccoli) scraps - some sites say don't include them at all. Some say include them in the last hour or 2 of cooking the stock.

What do you guys say? Yes? No? Only for a couple of hours?

What about green pepper? How do you feel about that? :giggle2:

TIA for any help & reps to those that I can!

NoHio

Trader Group
Hmm, I'm not sure about any of the vegetables that you asked about. I have made it a few times, and added carrots, celery, celery leaves, ginger root, various spices, and maybe some other things that I can't remember. I've never added cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, or green pepper.

C

couponcrazy5950

Hmm, I'm not sure about any of the vegetables that you asked about. I have made it a few times, and added carrots, celery, celery leaves, ginger root, various spices, and maybe some other things that I can't remember. I've never added cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, or green pepper.

Yeah, I have carrots, celery, & onion. And zucchini, I think. Maybe some sweet pepper in addition to the green.

J

JulieDB

I tried making it once recently but didn't care for the end result. This was made using scraps which I stowed in the freezer until I had enough. There were carrots, celery, spinach, tomatoes, onions, zuccini, parsley and potato peels. I felt that the liquid that I got out of it didn't have much flavor at all and since I stock up on canned broth when it is cheap, I just prefer to use that. I have read to leave out strongly flavored things like broccoli unless you really like those flavors.

Back in the 70's, I did make my own, perhaps because it wasn't avaiable commercially or if it was, I just didn't know about it. Then I followed a recipe and used carrot, celery, onion and parsley. But... I also used this as a base for soup and did not remove the vegetables. I have seen that you are supposed to remove the veggies because they have given everything they have up to the broth. Then if you want those specific veggies in there, to add more. But I just added stuff like beans, rice, pasta and other veggies and it was all good.

Kulis

Trader Group
I've made vegetable stock only a few times. I used carrots, celery, onion (with skin), and a few potato peels along with some spices. Loved it.

C

couponcrazy5950

Thank you both-I will rep when I can get on a regular computer! I making it in the slow cooker now- I decided just to omit the cauliflower & asparagus. Someone suggested saving those scraps for when I make soup of that kind (asparagus soup, cauliflower, etc)- brilliant! LOL

C

couponcrazy5950

I did not season the stock - there were a few cauliflower & asparagus scraps that got left in there on accident LOL It came out ok. I used it for chicken noodle soup on Saturday, so it served its purpose!

C

couponcrazy5950

If I have dark green veggie scraps, I include them. The broth is a bit dark, but, it works well as a cooking broth. I season with a bay leaf, salt, pepper, onion flakes or powder. I do NOT put any tomato based items in it.

Is there a particular reason you don't put tomato based items in it?