Type 1 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Oh My Aching Something' started by XUfan, May 21, 2017.

1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

This past week, my littlest granddaughter, who is 5, was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. She had lost 10% of her body weight in a few short weeks, was constantly thirsty, suddenly needed the bathroom a lot more often, and had wet the bed a few times. She also had been sick to her stomach several times after she finished her dinner.

When my DIL took her to the doctor's office on Wednesday, they did a quick blood sugar check, and found that her level was 986. They told them to go to the hospital immediately. My son met them there, and she was admitted. They started her on insulin, and worked to get all of that sugar out of her. She stayed two nights, and is now home.

My son called me to tell me what was going on, and when I was driving to the hospital, I had no idea what I would see when I got there. I kept picturing her, lying in bed, very lethargic. I couldn't have been more wrong! She was sitting up in the bed, alternating between coloring with her grandpa and tossing a ball with her teenage brother and his girlfriend. Honestly, besides the symptoms she had, she never has acted like she was sick!

She's now on two kinds of insulin...a long-acting one at night, to keep things as stable as possible, and one that we have to administer after meals, adjusting the dose to her meter reading and the food she eats for that meal. We all went to the hospital so that we could learn how to test the blood, read the meter, calculate the dose, and give the injection. We were also told what to do for lows and highs during the day. It's a big lifestyle change for all of us...but mostly for her.

She's doing great! She danced in her ballet recital last night, and will go to school tomorrow (Mon). My son told me that when she asked for her breakfast yesterday, she told him, "finger prick first!" before she ate. Then, she wiped her finger with the alcohol pad for him. Honestly, she's probably adapting better than her mom! LOL! But, the doctor said it's easier for kids her age than the kids who are diagnosed when they're older...and much more self-conscious.

According to the ADA website, only 5% of diabetics are Type 1. But if you happen to know a child who is going through this, please post any suggestions or tips. Or just share your story. I'd love to hear it!

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  2. CrownCJ

CrownCJ New Member

I was diagnosed when I was 13 years old. That was 37 years ago. Boy how the times have changed since then with the advancement of medicine. The best thing I could suggest is to make sure she understands what is happening to her. She needs to learn early that she needs is to control her diabetes, don't let the diabetes control her. It is a lifestyle change for everyone in the family, not just her. The more control she has over her diabetes, the less complications she will have in the long run. Mom and Dad should find a really good Endocrinologist that everyone likes, including her. One that listens to them and takes the time to talk with everyone so they understand. Don't rely on a GP (general practitioner) to take care of her. Get someone that knows the disease. Read, read, and read everything you can get your hands on. See if there is a foundation near you that can help you find resources in your area. The following site can you get you started: http://www.jdrf.org My parents started a subscription to Diabetes Forecast shortly after I was diagnosed and I still get it today. It's full of helpful information regarding what's new, recipes, advice, resources, real stories about people living with diabetes, Q&As, etc. If you hear about a diabetes seminar hosted by JDF in your area, go to it. I learned so much attended seminars. Ask the doctor about seminars in your area. November is diabetes awareness month, so watch for seminars during that time. They don't have them as much as they used to, but like I said, if you hear of one, go to it. I still do and still learn something new every time I go. I wish you luck. It will take some time, but it will all come together for you all before you know it.

3. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

My cousin married a Type 1 diabetic and their oldest child also developed type 1 diabetes when she was 10. She also has the same name as d2 and it must be something about the name, but they are a force to be reckoned with. This girl was on insulin for a little over a year and was then put on a insulin pump. She has never had any issues with the pump and has lead a pretty full and busy life. This girl has a lovely singing voice and has had solos in her school choir, just had a role in the school play and even auditioned for a Broadway role (she did not get it, but heck she stood on a Broadway stage). She is a gorgeous girl and lives a full life. I agree wholeheartedly with the post above-- The family must all eat properly and understand the disease. My cousin's family came together and learned what to do, just like your family did, Carol. Complications arise when you do not have the proper diet and medication. As she gets older, she must learn to look out for herself and not get in a
    situation where she does not have access to her medication or food. IF your granddaughter goes on a school trip, the nurse should accompany them. I do not know the laws in Ohio, but it is mandatory in NY for a nurse to accompany a diabetic child on a school trip.
    If the family travels on a long trip, there is a special wrap that can keep the insulin cold. My mom bought it in CVS and you soak it in cold water and she put it in a small soft cooler when she was on her way to Croatia.

Keep us posted on how she is doing. You are doing a world of good by posting this. Thanks to @CrownCJ for the links and info.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Sherri1480 and 3timesoccermom like this.
  4. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

@XUfan - don't forget to check needymeds.org to see if there are discounts or even free programs for her meds. The site is for everyone to use.

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.