Tuna Casserole

• Thread starter Cynthiabutterfly
  • Start date
C

Cynthiabutterfly

I'm trying to recreate a recipe a friend gave my mom when I was little. (of course, my mom never made it, just gave it to my older sister to cook)

It was a tuna casserole. All I can remember is it had tuna, crackers and white sauce. I remember the original recipe used cheese crackers, but we changed it to adding cheese to the white sauce and using saltines because that was all we had.

I tried to make it, but it seems like there is something missing. Has anyone made something like this? It seems like it had a made up name, like Tuna Supreme or Tuna glop or something. :rolleyes24:

C

couponfanatic

Tuna
Can mushroom soup
egg noodles (I have also seen it done with spagehtti)
Optional peas (canned is best)
Enough milk to get it to consistency you want

Cook noodles, drain.
Drain tuna
Add tuna, soup, milk & opt. peas.
heat (stovetop or oven)
We never used crackers, can't help you there.
Amount of tuna & soup? depends on how much you want to make.
Do noodles first. Add tuna and soup by eye until it looks right (one can at a time).

E

editionk

I made tuna noodle casserole last night. The white sauce in mine was flour, dry mustard, milk, onion and celery (I didn't have either yesterday), a little margarine and 1 C chicken broth. Let me go get the recipe...

3 C noodles (I've used rozini, egg, elbow)
1/4 C fine dry bread crumbs
1 T butter/margarine, melted
1 C chopped celery
1/4 C chopped onion
3 T butter/margarine
1/4 C flour
1/2 t dry mustard
1 C milk
1 C chicken broth
~ 9 oz tuna
1/4 C chopped pimiento (I just chop green olives till I feel like not chopping anymore)

(1) Cook noodles, drain and set aside
(2) Combine bread crumbs and 1 T melted butter, set aside
(3) Sauce: cook celery and onion in 3 T margaine in med saucepan till tender. Stir in flour and dry mustard. Add milk and chicken broth. Cook till slighly thickened and bubbly.
(4) Combine sauce, tuna, pimiento and noodles. I add 1 can drained peas too.
(5) Transfer to 1.5 qt baking dish. Cover with dry crumb mixture. I add grated cheese under the bread crumbs too.

Bake uncovered at 375 for ~ 20 min. or till bubbly.

Merczilla

Trader Group
I made it last night too. lmao
Egg noodles, cooked and drained
large can of mushroom soup
1 can of corn
2 cans tuna
1 can sliced mushrooms

I now just cover it with foil and bake it for an hour, putting a couple slices of cheese on top at the very end for a minute or two. I used to crush up bran flake cereal for a topping and bake uncovered, but when I was having tooth problems, I couldn't eat crunchy, so switched to no topping and covered. The cream of mushroom soup is an easy "sauce". lol I also make a 13x9x2 as I'm feeding 5.

C

Cynthiabutterfly

I made it last night too. lmao
Egg noodles, cooked and drained
large can of mushroom soup
1 can of corn
2 cans tuna
1 can sliced mushrooms

I now just cover it with foil and bake it for an hour, putting a couple slices of cheese on top at the very end for a minute or two. I used to crush up bran flake cereal for a topping and bake uncovered, but when I was having tooth problems, I couldn't eat crunchy, so switched to no topping and covered. The cream of mushroom soup is an easy "sauce". lol I also make a 13x9x2 as I'm feeding 5.

I love this one, I totally forgot about it, I haven't made it in a while. Maybe I'll just make this one instead.