Trying to Learn to Crochet

Discussion in 'Arts & Crafts' started by MsSweetCheeks, Dec 27, 2016.

1. MsSweetCheeks

MsSweetCheeks Mod Of The Month March 2012<br>The Grand Theft <br Trader Group

I'm trying to learn how to crochet.

I'm looking for some pointers and good tutorial sources.

I also want to point out that I'm a lefty.

2. NoHio

NoHio Well-Known Member Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

I taught myself to crochet from a book from the craft store (I couldn't find it online to show you). It's been awhile though, so I'd have to re-learn it now. I made this blue blanket for my niece a couple of years ago. I only know some basics; I can't do anything complicated, just straight lines. I also didn't really learn how to add new yarn, I just used a big 1 lb. skein for the blanket.
    [​IMG]

summertina and jastwins like this.
  3. MsSweetCheeks

My friend showed me a few things, but I think I'm still making mistakes with the basic stitching. I also haven't gotten comfortable holding the needle. I'm pulling the yard over the hook instead of letting the hook do the work.

I want to learn how to make scarfs and pot holders to start off with. Then down the road I want to learn to make cute hats, shawls, and socks. Maybe even a blanket.

That is if, I can learn. LOL.

jastwins and NoHio like this.
  4. NoHio

NoHio Well-Known Member Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

I found the book on Amazon. You may or may not be getting a small package in a couple of days. ;) It does have left-handed instructions.

MsSweetCheeks likes this.
  5. MsSweetCheeks

Wow! That is so cool. If it is a may, then thanks so much.

6. ifaith2

ifaith2 Member Trader Group

I actually taught my mom to crochet (she's a lefty, I'm a righty). I was able to pick up the basics on youtube, but a friend taught me something that helped me to become a much better crocheter. That the key in crocheting is making sure that your stitches are loose enough that you can find them later. I have a How to...thing I can send you that might help, but it is too large to post on here - so PM and I will e-mail it to you.

Melissa

jastwins and MsSweetCheeks like this.
  7. MsSweetCheeks

This is what I've accomplished so far with learning to crochet. (Sorry the pic is kinda blurry, my camera is acting wonky!)
    [​IMG]

ifaith2 and NoHio like this.
  8. ifaith2

ifaith2 Member Trader Group

Despite the camera issues - it looks great! Happy crocheting!

9. MsSweetCheeks

Yeah, my camera no longer likes me. LOL.

I'm now working on a very, very, very basic scarf. Just solid color with the same exact stitching as in the dish towel.

Btw can I make a rug with just the basic stitching like what I've been doing?

10. dee796

dee796 Member Trader Group

I like to use the youtube videos for crocheting, great videos, you can pause it and I love making rag rugs and plarn rugs using bread bags and other plastics bags.

11. MsSweetCheeks

I want to try making a very, very basic rug. Do I just basically make my stitches in the shape of a rug? Is there anything else I need to do to make a rug?

12. summertina

summertina Well-Known Member Trader Group

i've been crocheting since i was little... start with a basic stitch like single or double crochet. Try a baby blanket or an afgan. Its very nice like meditation! I also do beading. I have a lifetime supply of beads!