Gardening & PTB - How To Trying to find an organic farm, farmer's market, restaurant, grocery or co-op?

M

MrsPinecone

www.localharvest.org

Look them up on this site! State-by-state lists of all kinds of organic farms, farmer's markets and co-ops!

www.eatwild.com

Eatwild.com is your source for safe, healthy, natural and nutritious grass-fed beef, lamb, goats, bison, poultry, pork and dairy products. This site has three goals:
• To link consumers with reliable suppliers of all-natural, delicious, grass-fed products.
• To provide comprehensive, accurate information about the benefits of raising animals on pasture.
• To provide a marketplace for farmers who raise their livestock on pasture from birth to market and who actively promote the welfare of their animals and the health of the land.

www.pickyourown.org

State by state listing of places that have pick your own fruits and veggies. Also has many recipes and canning instructions.

Farmer's Pal - Organic Directory

Organic, sustainable and local farms by state.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bargdill

i too was looking for this, actually i was wondering about buying half an organic cow, after the last episode john and kate plus 8, any ideas how to do this, or prices?

foodie

Re: Trying to find an Organic Farms, Farmers Markets, Restaurants, Grocery Stores, or Co-ops?

Hi, "y'all"--

Just thought I would bump this thread about Organic Farms, Farmers Markets, Cooperatives, etc. Since we are farmers in N VA area with a family of 8 (1 set of 6 year old quads and 1 set of 3 year old twins--3 boys and 3 girls and 2 "very tired" adults--:hysterical:), we are also members of several farming cooperatives and other Organic entities. My husband is an Electrical Engineer Manager at a Defense company. He suggested for me to post the following info.

For example, you can join a Buying Club/Co-op where your food costs are reduced considerably since you "split" the costs (prices) and cases of products. You easily get up to 20% discounts on your purchases by doing this cooperative shopping method. Great way to meet others too.

The largest wholesaler of Organic food products is United Natural Foods, Inc. (UNFI). The United Natural Foods business also sells to large grocers like Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, Wegmans, and other major grocers nationwide as well as Health food stores. Their web site is below and you can contact UNFI or PM me for further details. The Co-op that we have in NVA (several groups) averages 20 to 30 members for monthly ordering. More than 20 members, they split into small member groups.

It is a great way to save on bulk foods, canned foods, diapers, dry goods, laundry needs, gluten-free items, meats, pasta, herbs, etc. It is like an "Organic" Sam's Club, Costco, and BJ's Club rolled into one "store". Everything that Whole Foods stocks in their stores nationwide, you can order through UNFI.

Also, you might try shopping at Ethnic Markets. For example, in our N VA areas, (and nationwide) there is a great Korean/Asian grocery store chain called H-Mart and Super H-Mart that carries a deeply discounted produce (and great selection of Asian and conventional produce--always fresh), hard-to-find- Asian and Hispanic foods, bulk rices (all types), etc. There are some H-Mart stores in NC, GA, and other areas. Also, try other Ethnic Markets, like Lebanese, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and other types of Ethnic Markets. Great ways to try new things for you and your family.

One other great place to save on bulk spices and bulk foods, is at Amish and Mennonite Markets. We have a great one in Germantown, MD area. Also, you can order some of the same bulk items that the Amish Markets carries online through their wholesaler. We are Mennonite farmers too and know of their suppliers. It is Dutch Valley Bulk Foods located in PA.

You might also try local Butcher/Meat Markets, Restaurant Wholesalers, or local farmers who sells meat by purchasing a certain amount of meat processed (i.e. half a cow, fresh poultry, etc.) You can also examine joining a CSA (Community-Supported Agriculture) which is a Produce Co-op. You can find info at Local Harvest.

Sorry I am so long on this thread, but I am getting my Masters degree in Food Science/Nutrition online, so I am a "true Foodie"--:whistle67:. Also, try buying from local farms or markets at the end of the day for great deals. I will be happy to provide you more ideals if you wish to PM me.

Web sites are below--

www.unfi.com (United Natural Foods' site/info.)

www.hmart.com (H-Mart's site/info.)

www.dutchvalleybulkfoods.com (Dutch Valley's site/info.)

www.localharvest.org (Local Harvest's site/info.)

I forgot to add that UNFI also carries fresh dairy, milk, cheese, and frozen produce and frozen vegetables, pizzas, etc. Just like a regular grocery store. You buy monthly.

I hope posting this info is all right.

Foodie:thanks7:

foodie

Re: Trying to find an Organic Farm, Farmers' Markets, Restaurants, Grocery Stores, or Co-ops?

talk2ham.1, mama22qts, and others--

For those of you interested in Dutch Valley Bulk Foods (a wholesaler from PA that direct ships to customers, stores, and Amish/Mennonite Bulk Food Stores across the country, etc.), you can order DIRECTLY ONLINE from Dutch Valley Foods. All you need to do is send a request for their catalog and fill out their online order form or call their (800) number directly to set-up your access to see their prices, etc. You DO NOT need to have a storefront--just provide your email, etc.

Secondly, I have been asked for Organic Food Cooperative, CSA(s), and other farm-related "Foodie" links. So below I have included more helpful information. If you are wanting to research Buying Clubs, Co-ops, etc., the best-known one is as I stated previously, is United Natural Foods (UNFI). Just go on their website or call them and tell them where you live and they will direct you to a Buying Club in your area if its available. If NOT available--Buying Club--you CAN still order YOURSELF (or form YOUR OWN Buying Club). The minimum order is about $400, I believe. So you can start your own Buying Club with co-workers, church groups, etc. and UNFI will set-up your account and explain everything.

More websites below--

www.coopdirectory.org (Cooperative Directory's site/info. Click on Directories links, etc.)

www.greenpeople.org (Green People's site/info. Links to all things Organic, etc.)

www.lancasterfarmfresh.com (Lancaster Farm Fresh's site/info. Co-op in Lancaster, PA area. May deliver to your area.)

www.organicconsumers.org (Organic Consumers' site/info. Great links for Organic products, CSA(s)/Co-op(s), etc.)

www.tog.coop (Tuscarora Organic Growers' site/info. Organic Farms Co-op in Lancaster, PA (and surrounded areas) that delivers to Whole Foods (East Coast stores), DC/MD/VA Farm Markets, and you can direct order from them for $150 minimum order. Check for your area for availability.)

www.unfi.com (United Natural Foods site/info. Largest distributor for Co-ops, etc. for Organics.)

Also, check out your local Independent Health/Natural Food Stores, farms, etc., for other leads on food purchasing. restaurant food distributors, food wholesalers, etc. Believe it or not, (hubby laughs:hysterical:), when I see a large transfer/tractor trailer truck on the road with a website, (800) phone number, etc. for anything food-related (i.e. distributors for ALL foods for restaurants, etc.), I write down the info and contact the companies.

Just think outside the "box" for foods. Ethnic Markets, Bulk Food Stores, etc. are great resources. Grocery stores aren't the only place to purchase foods. Also, notice produce (wholesaler) trucks in your areas. Alot of the time you can order from in bulk too. Find out who your local stores' distribution companies are and contact them.

Foodie:smile:

foodie

Forgot to mention that you can request a "sample catalog" from United Natural Foods to peruse. Over 20,000 items!:smile: Just call them.

Foodie

TiggerToo

Mod Of The Month Oct. 2011<br>Has A Heart Of Pure
Trader Group
MN Info:

I actually have this site bookmarked and it covers farms in the state of MN. You can actually go to the home page and pick whatever state you are in:

Where to find pick your own farms and orchards in Minnesota for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and Christmas trees.

The link below covers the farmer's market w/in the MN area and link to their home pages.

https://www.mfma.org/memberdirectory.php

Also have this link bookmarked too for the co-ops in the area:

Coop Directory Listing

If you want to see the list of co-ops in your area, just delete the #Minnesota from the url and hit enter and it will take you to the main directory and you can click on your state.

Hope this helps our MN Gardnerers.

M

MrsPinecone

With the early spring that many have been experiencing, it's time to start thinking CSA again!

Gardencook

Trader Group
:dance16:I posted a link to this site on another thread a few weeks ago. It seems to be kept pretty up-to-date for our area. It lists U-pick farms from everywhere. There is a link for each state, then you can choose your county. Also farms in a number of international areas. Thought others might find it useful.
Pick Your Own

M

MrsPinecone

It's very useful. It's in the original post! I love Pick Your Own.

Gardencook

Trader Group
It's very useful. It's in the original post! I love Pick Your Own.

Sorry about that! I actually went back through what I thought were all the old posts on the thread yesterday and couldn't find it. Either the computer was having revamp hiccups again or I was completely blind! :hysterical:

M

MrsPinecone

I am getting 1/4 of a grass-fed, corn-finished cow tomorrow! So much more economical than buying meat at the grocery store.

ETA: spoke too soon. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark and the cost is WAY over what I expected it to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MrsPinecone

Just bumping this up because CSA signup time is coming around again.

M

MrsPinecone

I may be applying to be the manager of our local farmer's market for the 2014 season. Wish me luck!

M

MrsPinecone

The board reviewed applications last night. My interview is next Tuesday!