Expired Tips And Tricks For Using The Coupon Database

Discussion in 'Coupons Archive' started by queenofthehivemomof5, Apr 18, 2010.

1. queenofthehivemomof5

queenofthehivemomof5 Admin Hottie Trader Group

I am just going to use this thread to post tips and tricks for using the coupon database as I come across them and notice issues that we see as we are verifying entries in the database. Members please feel free to post your tips, tricks and questions here.:wavehi:

2. queenofthehivemomof5

Entering your coupon: Start the coupon with the brand name. Do not enter the coupon entry with "Save", "Any", "On" or anything other than the brand name of the product.

Example (Wrong): Save $2 on any cereal WYB 2 Dixie Ultra Bowls, any count

Example (Correct): Dixie Ultra Bowls, Any Count (1) And Save $2.00 On Any Cereal

Why....because when the coupons are listed on a members have or wish list they are displayed alphabetically, thus making the coupon easier to find. However, when a coupon entry starts with something other than the brand name, it is listed out of order. In the example above instead of being listed in the D's for "Dixie" this entry would be listed in the S's for "Save"

PurrMinn and kval07 like this.
  3. queenofthehivemomof5

Entering your coupon: Do not include how many items that you need to purchase unless there are multiple values.

Example (Wrong): Clearblue pregnancy or ovulation test, any ONE

Example (Correct): Clearblue Pregnancy Or Ovulation Test, Any

Why...because the value of how many you have to purchase is already in the value field for example the above coupon is $1.00/1. Putting the "One" in the description field is redundant information since that is displayed in the $1.00/1 value field.

However...if you have a coupon that is for multiple values you would need to list those out in the description field.

Example: Kraft Cheese, Any (1) 16 Oz. Package Or (2) 8 Oz. Packages (Value would be listed as $1.00/1, because you always use the lesser number in this case off 1 and not 2)

4. queenofthehivemomof5

Searching for coupons: Always leave off all punctuation when searching for coupons. Not everyone is good about putting in the correct puctionation when they enter their coupons so it is best to search the database with out it.

Example (Wrong): Kellogg's Or L'Oreal Or Hershey's

Example (Correct): Kellogg Or L Oreal Or Hershey

Why...you will just get better search results!

5. queenofthehivemomof5

Reporting A Coupon Entry: If you find a coupon that is a duplicate, is entered incorrectly or has missing or incorrect infomation you may report the entry to the Database Admin team and we will correct it as soon as possible. However we get a lot of reported entries that do not tell us what the issue is or what is wrong with the entry. This causes us a delay in getting all the reported entries fixed in a timely fashion.

You may only report a coupon is you are a registered member and are logged in, this is required so that we know who reported the coupon. If you are logged in, you will see a drop down menu next to each entry in the database. One of the options will be "Report" select report and you will get a dialog window that will have the entry you are reporting. In the report fix the fields that need fixing. And if you have a message for the Database Admin team enter it in the "description field" for example if the coupon is a duplicate just type that in the description field and we will go and look for the other entry and merge the two together. If a coupon link (printable coupon) is dead, just put "Dead" in the description field.

If you do not fix the coupon in the report dialog box or give us a message the report shows as blank for us and we have to either guess what is wrong with the entry or we simply mark the coupon as normal and move on. However blank reports slow us down. So please fill out the report dialog box. If you have made a mistake and clicked report by accident, just click cancel and the coupon will not be marked as reported.

6. queenofthehivemomof5

Categorizing your coupon: Eggs are "Refrigerated" not "Dairy"

Dairy is for products that come from a cow (or other milk product)

'Nuff said:biggrin:

7. shelleyf

shelleyf Member of the Month March 2009 Trader Group

Thanks Heidi for all the helpful tips. I didn't know some of these so this is awesome of you to let us know.:smile:

8. PurrMinn

PurrMinn New Member Trader Group

Thanks Heidi, this is really helpful!!!

queenofthehivemomof5 likes this.
  9. ssfkat3

ssfkat3 New Member Trader Group

cows don't lay eggs? I tried to tell mom I needed to spend time on my aunts farm, dang city raising is for the hmmm, birds?

seriously though, the few times I've reported a database item, it never has given me any option to put in any info, I click report, and that's it, nothing else happens.

(kidding on the eggs...Even I know they come from the Roosters!)

10. ssfkat3

TIP: when entering your have's, type in first word, second if need be, they will show up on the list, just need to match up rest of info ie exp date, quantity, price. Makes it quick when you get right down to it.

also, if you try to enter something already ON your have list, it will tell you so when you try to enter it again. (after choosing the right one as above)

WISH: Now if only there was a easier way to match those have's with other's wishes...One at a time is ok, but if the same person has more than one wish for what you have, it would be far easier to have them all come up at once, vs clicking thru each item's drop down menu to see if that member is listed on anything else...not sure that got explained very well, its late!

11. queenofthehivemomof5

Entering Coupons: You can put a coupon entry into multiple categories when adding it to the coupon database by holding down the "CTRL" button your your keyboard while selecting multiple categories.

Why...there are indeed lots of coupons that belong in two categories. For example Organic Valley Milk would be categorized as "Dairy" and "Organic/Natural"

12. queenofthehivemomof5

I have never heard of the dialog box not opening when clicking report. Perhaps check to see if pop-ups are allowed for HCW and see if that fixes it for ya?

And yeah...eggs - not dairy. LOL

13. isis

isis Member Of The Month June 2010 / Mod Of The Month Trader Group

Tip: Take a second to look over the Terms/Conditions of the coupon. Sometimes there are VOID in states listed, esp on Yogurt coupons.
    I've also put bread coupons on my WL only to get them in a trade and there is a whole list of VOID in states that was not entered. So please please double ck before adding :)

queenofthehivemomof5 likes this.
  14. queenofthehivemomof5

Adding a Buy X Get X Coupon: There is a proper format for entering coupons that are B1G1, B2G1, B1G2 ect coupons. Always start the coupon with the product that you are getting for free and then end it with the item(s) that you have to get the product(s) free.

Example: (Wrong) - Buy any 20 oz. Sprite Zero and get a 16 oz. bag of Doritos Chips free up to $3.50

Example: (Correct) - Doritos Chips, Any (1) 16 Oz. Bag Free WYB (1) Sprite Zero, Any 20 Oz.

Once you enter the description field of the coupon, you will then select Buy X Get Y from the value drop down menu, which will open up two boxes. In the first box enter the info for how many you need to buy. Example: B1G1 (means Buy One Get One Free), B2G1 (Means Buy Two Get One Free), B10G1 (means Buy Ten Get One Free) and so on. The second box will be where you enter the "up to" value of the coupon if there is one. So if the coupon is B1G1 up to $3.50 you would enter "$3.50" here (when you submit your coupons, the "Up To value" you entered in this box will auto insert into the description field of the coupon entry so please do not enter the up to value in the initial description or it will list it twice, and we will have to edit your coupon and fix it). However there are some Buy X Get Y coupons that do not have a "Up To" value for these coupons, simply delete the dollar sign "$" from the second box and your coupon will not have this information in it. (No need to say "No Up To Value" or "No Maximum Value Listed"

Once you have followed the steps above your coupon will read much like this:

Doritos Chips, Any (1) 16 Oz. Bag Free WYB (1) Sprite Zero, Any 20 Oz. - valid up to $3.50

And now I want some chips and a soda! LOL

15. ssfkat3

ohhh, pop ups. those pesky things, yeah, that could be the problem....I learned to hate those growing up in the city........where I grew eggs in the flowerpots.

16. queenofthehivemomof5

How to sort your Have/Wish/Keep Lists - If you are member of our Trader In Training or Trader Groups, you will have access to the trading features of the coupon database. If you are NOT in one of these groups, you will not see these features in the coupon database (to join see this link)

Recently the newest change to the Coupon Database changed the way that these list tabs display. Before the change the default view was to show the list by expiration date with coupons on your list that are expiring soonest displaying at the top of the list. The default display is now Alphabetical. However you can still sort your lists by expiration date by clicking the header of that column.

I have attached a screen shot to illustrate where you should click:
    [​IMG]

You can sort your lists by the following columns in the same way as above:
    • Qty or Interest (Qty in your Have and Keep lists, Interest in your Wish list)
    • Description
    • Value
    • Expiration
    • Source
    • Store
    • Categories
    • Notes

Additionally you may sort some of the columns in your Incoming and Outgoing trades tabs in the same way. The sort options are:

• Value
    • Expires
    • Description

17. Pennstater

Pennstater Member Of The Month Aug. 2010 Trader Group

How can we see someone's wishlist that is in the database, but not in the "wishlist" post?

18. rebate_queen

rebate_queen Mod Of The Month Aug. 2011 A.K.A. Reese Trader Group

If I am understanding correctly what you are asking......

Just go to your wishlist tab in the coupon database and at the top in the paragraph that is written out, there is a link for the userlists right after the link for your wishlist. That will take you to a long list of all the members and their have/wishlists and you can click what you want.

Is that what you were needing?

19. Pennstater

Pennstater Member Of The Month Aug. 2010 Trader Group

you understood exactly, I have never used that link, thanks!!!!!!:thanks7:

20. shaggy

shaggy New Member

is there anyway to reset coupons? my printer wasnt working right , and i reached my limit but i didnt actually get to print them?