Tip on Cooking Rice - I Did not Know This!

Discussion in 'Rice & Grains' started by 3timesoccermom, Jul 29, 2010.

1. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original "Viral" Foodie

Many of you probably already knew this but I didn't, and I consider myself a pretty experienced cook.

I've been cooking rice forever and always had to use a huge or tall skinny pot to keep it from boiling over.

So tonight I put a tablespoon of vegetable oil in the water before adding the rice - I had it left from making french fries the other day - and voila!!! No boiling over. I even used a smaller pot than I ever have before, and I cook 2 cups of rice at a time.

It was so nice to finally have a solution. I never thought of it as a problem so didn't look it up. Just thought "that's rice." :rolleyes24:

Kcwalc33 likes this.
  2. CW&M Mom

CW&M Mom ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶Dugalina٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ ᙢᘎG! Trader Group

Me Lazy. I use minute rice...no boiling rice.

but that's good to know!

3. 3timesoccermom

Well it doesn't make itself so I guess you're not lazy! :wink7:

4. mrscjellybean

mrscjellybean Guest

I actually toast the rice in a little oil before boiling, it has never overflowed and i've never had sticky rice! :)

5. CouponQueen83

CouponQueen83 Guest

Interesting tip! Thanks for sharing!

6. 3timesoccermom

Does it change the taste at all? The only times I've ever done that is when I make my Spanish Rice and for that yummy, wholesome favorite, Rice a Roni. :giggle2:

7. rrpate

rrpate Member Of The Month Feb. 2011 Trader Group

i have a small old rice cooker that i just put the rice in add the water and push the button... voila! rice..it shuts itself off when done.... i bought a small rice cooker a couple of years ago at wags for one of the rebates... think it ended up costing 5.00 that is for back up when /if the other gives up the ghost! :biggrin: i even use the rice flavored pks in it.. works great!

8. Kaldirris

Kaldirris Guest

My older sister does that, too ... the rest of my family (I'm half Chinese) actually prefers our rice to be a little on the sticky side - it's easier to pick up with chopsticks that way! LOL
    My mom (the Chinese influence) taught me how to cook rice when I was very young.
    Here's how she did it:
    1. Wash the rice (about 3 changes of water will remove most of the starch)
    2. Add water - about twice the amount of rice. We use the finger-gauge - water up to the first knuckle joint in the pot, with the rice. Perfect every time!
    3. Boil it. When it boils, stir it once, turn down the heat to low, put the lid back on, and walk away for 20 minutes.
    - the results? Perfectly cooked rice that holds together just enough that it's easy to eat with chopsticks!

.... okay, now I'm hungry for beef & black bean sauce. Where's my rice pot? LOL

9. PopCulture

PopCulture Guest

This is the exact process that I use. I think the second is in doubling the water. I usually do mine for 15 mins on simmer. It turns out great!