Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

For over 4 years I have been propositioning Marina, who has always turned me down. The only reason she doesn't get upset by it is that she knows I am not serious. The only reasons that I don't get upset by her turning me down are that being 74, not being a billionaire, and knowing that she deeply loves her husband, I would probably suffer an immediate heart attack if she accepted.

Marina has only one fault -- although she is very intelligent she is also extremely naive. She will believe almost anything. This was proven yesterday when I told her that I have discovered an effective vaccine for Coronavirus.
    I explained that for the past three months, working at home with a number of petri dishes and blood samples of Corona victims given to me by an Israeli hospital, I found that by combining certain chemicals as well as my own blood, I killed all the viruses in one of the petri dishes.

I took the dish to the hospital where its top doctors and research scientists examined it and confirmed that the virus had been killed. However, they told me that there were two problems -- the first being that it only worked with my blood, not that of anyone else. They explained that every human's DNA is different and that while mine was suitable for a vaccine, nobody else's was.

The other problem, I said, was that they found that the amount of DNA in my blood was not strong enough to produce a vaccine. They told me (or at least I told Marina that they told me) that DNA in men was most highly concentrated in their sperm. They said that by injecting the remaining ingredients into myself, I could produce a vaccine with my sperm. It would immunize any woman with whom I had sex and, in turn, this immunization would be spread by her to those people she spent the most time with (her family).

I said that over 30 female doctors and nurses at the hospital had already asked to be immunized by me, but because of my age, I would only be able to produce sufficient sperm twice per week.

Up to this point, Marina believed every word of it. That ended when I told her that I was less concerned about strangers and wanted first to protect those people I am very close with -- she immediately realized that this meant her and her family, started laughing, and told me that she won't agree to be immunized by me.

"Do you mean that you would rather die from Corona, and risk your children and husband, than have sex with me?" I asked.

She upped the ante by saying that not only would she prefer getting the Corona but would even prefer both getting it and moving back home to Siberia.

In my life, I have been rejected by literally thousands of women, but never as adamantly as this. We compromised by driving to her house, picking up her two daughters, and my taking all three to lunch. :D

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  2. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

jastwins and Fillies Fan like this.
  3. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

As I pointed out last time, I may be incorrigible but women throughout the world can confirm that I am very easily encourageable.

4. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Fillies Fan, jastwins and Jorainna like this.
  5. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Yea, during these times,
    we have found some of the fast food places passing off poor quality food , lack of utensils,condiments etc.and when I complain, I get the, “ we will pass it along to the store reply”. If I can’t use the dining tables in the dining rooms,at least I would like to be able to use the restroom.

6. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@flowerkitty i agree with you that customer service is poor these days and companies do not seem to care. Hardly anyone bags your groceries anymore and the cashier starts the next order before I am done bagging. The last time I asked the person to stop ringing the order and wait until I finished bagging my order. No apologies....just a blank stare.
    Fast food is even worse and just last night I did not get any sauces with my order after the kid said “I am sure they are in there”. Ummm. NO!
    I plot out my shopping to make sure I can use a restroom along the way. Big lots and Walmart are my pit stops when I have a big shopping trip.

Gardencook and Fillies Fan like this.
  7. Gardencook

We're eating out less than ever, which I suppose is a good thing for our health, but it isn't a great motivator when the drive-thru orders are often wrong (and you can't do anything about it), the food is cold and soggy by the time you get it home and of course, why should they open dining rooms when they don't even have to give free refills on overpriced drinks any longer?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Fillies Fan, jastwins and flowerkitty like this.
  8. Gardencook

Mixed feelings the past few days. On the one hand a lot of people finally seem to be taking this seriously enough that virtually everyone is wearing masks now.

Most stores now require them so that has boosted the numbers. However, we've still got the "rebels," who insist on following the letter of the law instead of the spirit -- defiantly wearing them on their chins instead of covering their nose and mouth -- many of them in high risk elderly age groups.

Yesterday, DH ran into the credit union. There is a sign on the door that clearly states you must wear a mask to enter the building or else use the drive-thru. This fellow did neither, then joked with the teller that he never thought he'd need a mask to enter a bank. Apparently if he jokes, he gets by with it at a lot of places.

The store we were going to was a block away and now requires masks. The store does have an employee stationed at the door, but unlike a lot of other stores this place gives complimentary masks to those not wearing them instead of requiring customers to buy them.

While I was wiping down our cart with the complimentary wipes, the VERY SAME fellow came whisking by us. He knew the gal was going to hold out a mask -- which she did -- so he sped through at top speed and then waved her hand away when she tried to hand him a mask. NO ONE was going to tell him he had to wear one! :mad:

Today we went back to the same store and since it was senior discount day, there was a much older population shopping as happens every month. It was pleasant to see virtually everyone wearing a mask -- without a bunch of attitude.

The first customer we saw was a tiny, elderly woman who was wearing a mask and was no more than about five feet tall. She was struggling to push a huge cart to the front and that was when I noticed she was loaded down with at least six 20-packs of beer.

Either there was a GREAT sale on that brand (which no one else seemed aware of) or she had a REAL problem.

Most likely, she was getting ready for a large party -- which we aren't supposed to be having right now, but then who wants to follow rules? :(

Got an e-mail today from Red Robin saying all dine-in customers must now wear masks. After the incident with the man yesterday, we couldn't help but chuckle with the concluding comment stating that anyone who cannot or will not wear a mask is welcome to use curbside pick-up or takeout ...

Jorainna, Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  9. jastwins

D1 is going back to college, located in upstate NY, next week. D2’s college in MA went online for the fall semester.
    Can I just say they left the wrong twin home!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  10. Gardencook

I can empathize @jastwins. I continue to have "middle child" problems with my sister. Unfortunately, the problem doesn't always go away with adulthood. Were it not for Mom guilting me into constant attempts to keep her daughters together ...

Aside from her other outrageous FB rants, my sister recently claimed she was forced to post a "news story," because she knew the mainstream news media would ignore the "milestone" that Portland was "celebrating" its 76th consecutive day of "PEACEFUL Protests."

If she considers Portland "peaceful" I'd be terrified to see what she considers a "riot," but then she claimed the Seattle CHAD/CHAZ district was a "peaceful Nirvana" right before they were forced to close it due to the violence. Somehow, my sister the valedictorian couldn't grasp what would happen in a "police-free autonomous zone?" :confused:

And now they're planning to set one up in Portland??? I guess the whole city may soon become police-free by default after the Oregon State Police and the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office have pulled out of protecting downtown in protest of the new District Attorney's announcement he won't prosecute rioters -- after all, rioters managed to run out the police chief in Seattle. :(

After having EXTREMELY nasty Facebook fits with two of her sisters-in-law and a nephew my sister took it upon herself to attack my DH on his FB page (we never comment on posts to her page in a fruitless attempt to keep peace in the family). She finally ORDERED DH to quit posting news articles showing the nightly violence and destruction there claiming she thought he was "smarter than that," since she believes the violence is all "fake news."

She posted a quote yesterday claiming it was a sign of someone "mature and well-educated" not to be bothered by all the expletives the rioters endlessly spew at police officers, elderly women who attempt to stop the destruction and anyone else who doesn't agree with their worldview.

The quote concluded that it is necessary to "put fools in their place." I guess we've been told! :p

Have I ever mentioned that her father-in-law was a police officer? :eek:

Were my childhood memories of growing up with this girl not so vivid, I'd be convinced we came from different households -- perhaps different nations!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  11. Gardencook

So today we went to Big Lots and picked up several things.

Got a chuckle at the door, because they now have corporate-issued signs claiming the government requires masks -- which isn't technically the case. The city council here strongly advises them, but isn't yet requiring them.

However the sign didn't really affect us, because we wear masks wherever we go anyway -- and virtually all stores as well as city offices now require them, so they are pretty much required. The city leaders have had repeated discussions, but are leaving it to individual businesses to decide.

There was a woman with children already at the register when we went to check out and she had quite a cart full. We cringed at bit at the wait, but she did get there first so we didn't complain and took our spot on the "social distancing floor sticker" behind her to wait our turn.

After a while, a couple jerks came along and seeing the blank space between us, they assumed they could jump into line ahead of us. Then they saw by my body language that I had no intention of allowing that to happen and grumbled loudly because they'd have to wait for us.

Several more customers lined up behind them, so a clerk came opened another check stand. She said "I can help the next person in line." I took her at her word and rolled our cart to the check stand despite the fact the fellows behind us had ignored what she said and were trying to cut in.

Once again, we had to put up with a snide remark, because they didn't believe the next in line should be waited on before them.

My husband didn't see them trying to cut in, so asked what their nasty comment was about and I was vocal enough that the clerk and other customers could hear that we were the next customers and had been told she'd wait on us, but they were grumbling just like they had when they found out they'd have to wait for us in the first place. Guess I'm just turning into a grumpy old woman. :p

Tempers are getting REALLY REALLY short out there! The temperatures are up to triple digits again and drivers are just short of road rage, nearly causing accidents at every turn.

Jorainna, jastwins and Fillies Fan like this.
  12. jastwins

Most of my lunch hours are spent at TJ Maxx and the main reason is that they clean their carts and keep track of people going in and out of the store. King Kullen, a supermarket is more crowded and has a security guard at the entrance. You must wear a mask to enter most stores or banks in NY.
    I have not run into any issues at either store, but in our bank, yes, we have had issues. Yesterday, a man was yelling at one of our platform personnel about not being able to get a new debit card. We are out of the cards for the instant issue machine and he was mad since he needed one for vacation. I was seriously thinking of hitting the alarm button but my co-worker got him calmed down. A phone caller has been calling our branch to the point of harassing us, wanting to come in our branch for a notary signature. Currently, due to Covid 19, we only notarize for our bank customers and not non-customers. Well, this lady refuses to believe us and just keeps calling, even after we gave her other options in town for notaries.

At our Google staff meeting, many teachers were upset at the thought of returning to school and are worried about getting sick. Mind you, we have had only seven cases of Covid on my Island since the pandemic started, so odds are we will not get too many more cases. There are so many protocols in place that I believe we will be fine. As a person who worked in the building during the pandemic, I have seen the changes they are making and most of the teachers have not been in much since this March. I understand their concern, but we are all apprehensive about this new way of doing things and some people do not like change and not knowing what to expect. While I understand it, like any new directive, there will be a trial and error period to adjust.

Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  13. Gardencook

The big thing I think people are going to have to realize is that we have to go back to some sort of the "new normal" at some point. I feel for those who have to make the big decisions.

At some point people are going to have to start dipping their toes in the water to see if it is safe -- and that point is going to be different for every person and region. Each month we practice near-lockdown conditions the economy will spiral farther downward -- and no one wants another depression, although many experts believe it is already unavoidable. The question is, how deep?

We've got both sides of the coin here in Idaho. When the governor didn't open up things as quickly as some wanted, protesters started a petition to have him recalled. Others were upset that he had opened up things as soon as he did.

We feel he's handled the matter as wisely as can be expected given all the unknowns. He's opened the state gradually and when it appeared our infection rates might be moving upward, he decided not to go forward with the next step of re-opening.

The Eastern side of the state hasn't been exposed like the Western side and now we are seeing a spike in COVID cases here -- that's why the mask requirements are getting ever more stringent. However, we knew it was going to happen as soon as tourists started traveling again. It is unavoidable when you are right on the thoroughfare between national parks -- and how can you complain when tourism plays such a big part in our state's economy?

As far as the schools, I understand the concerns some teachers and parents have, but ...

The biggest concern I've had since way back when schools started closing in March isn't the children who had parents who cared. Children like you and I @jastwins, would have muddled along if the schools didn't re-open for years. Our parents valued education enough that no matter what the obstacles, they would have seen to it we kept up with our studies.

However, I'm sure you've also seen the other side of the coin. There are parents out there who DO NOT value education and frankly don't care. Their children were most likely already falling behind BEFORE the pandemic. Other children have special needs and while their parents might care deeply they simply don't have the training needed to help them keep moving ahead.

While I didn't have the extreme obstacles to overcome as some of these children, I did have a year of speech therapy in the public schools when I was a child -- something for which I'm very grateful. My family tried to work with me at home, but it took an expert to get me past my speech defect. Where would I have been with recent restrictions?

How much further behind have those children fallen since March? If they fall behind another year is there ANY chance they'll ever be able to catch up?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    jastwins, mtka and Jorainna like this.
  14. jastwins

Teachers are upset that their rooms are in disarray and they have to get rid of their personal stuff to make sure desks can be six feet apart. If their class sizes increase they will have to go to a hybrid model
    Of 2 days in school and 2 days online. You have to have multiple plans ready for this and some people are annoyed by it. But they did it before and can do it again.
    It is vital that the students return to school. Some do not have a great home life and would do better in a more structured environment. I did speak with parents that were fed up with the online learning and look forward to school reopening. Other parents did awesome with online learning!
    Today’s not so great news is that there was no mention of any hires or new positions with the board meeting minutes. Ugh :( :(
    Hopefully it will be in the next meeting...whenever that is.

Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  15. Gardencook

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but everything has become so politicized that I suspect I'm not. I honestly don't know which side is responsible for what, so I'll just explain what I saw ...

We have an elementary school a few blocks from our home -- right on a main thoroughfare, so we pass it frequently.

I suspect other schools around the nation do this, but it is common around here for schools to place colored plastic cups in the chain link fences surrounding schools to spell our messages. For instance, every year they would have a D.A.R.E. (Dare to Resist Drugs and Violence) program and the week/month it was promoted, you might see the letters DARE spelled out in plastic cups on the fence.

The other day I drove by and the elementary school had a new message spelled out: "We (heart-- shape in cups) Our Students!"

Since many teachers here have been very vocally opposed to the school district's decision to begin classes, I immediately wondered if that was a nice message from teachers welcoming back students or if it was a political statement that teachers "loved" their students and didn't want them returning in order to protect them.

Eventually, I remembered that the same school has posted exactly the same message in the past -- before COVID -- so it was indeed simply a nice welcome back to the students. However, this is how jaded we've become as a society. I've always thought the cup messages were nice in the past and now I wonder if there are ulterior motives behind them ...

Apparently, I'm not the only one. It didn't take longer than a day or two for the message to be vandalized and now there are only a few cups left in the fence. You can no longer read the message.

I have no idea who vandalized it. It could have been those who didn't agree with students going back to class or it could have been those who thought message was criticizing the school district. It may have just been punks who wanted to destroy something without any political agenda. It is just a sad state of affairs. The message used to last a month or more -- until the school decided to post a new message.

I miss the simple days before so many people became SO angry. :(

Jorainna, Fillies Fan and mtka like this.
  16. jastwins

Today, my assistant branch manager came to my defense after a woman refused to take no for an answer regarding notary services for non-customers.
    I asked if she was a customer and she said her husband was (not true) but her father in law was (true). She was not listed on his account so I had to tell her no. The woman just kept standing offering to pay us and it took about 5 mins for her to leave. This was after another woman kept bothering another teller and I sent her to the platform. We were down 2 people today, so we had to be extra firm on pushy customers. It seems that no one can find a notary. I am a notary and could make a fortune if I offered to do this, but can only notarize for bank customers while I am working.
    Today, a school administratror called me and asked me to come in early to do temperature checks for arriving elementary students. I knew this was coming and since I am not in the union, I just said yes. The school will pay me for this morning duty and let's just hope that no kid has a temperature!

Jorainna, Fillies Fan and Gardencook like this.
  17. jastwins

This past week, I was yelled at by 2 different employees for apparently violating some covid rules.
    In the King Kullen supermarket, I went the wrong way down the cookie aisle. It was blocked by a young store clerk stocking shelves so I did not go but 10 ft into the aisle. He yelled out " you are going the wrong way...follow the arrows. Well when the arrows are 20 ft into the aisle you cannot see them. I stayed in my place, at the corner of the aisle, and told him that I would turn around and leave when the 4 people coming down the aisle moved past him as he was blocking part of the aisle. It seems no one pays attention to the arrows in the store, but in the cookie aisle, I guess you must.
    On the bus to the city yesterday, I had my mask on most of the trip. At the midpoint, an extra person gets on and checks who paid and who did not. They also hand out water bottles. As soon as the lady gets on she yells at some guy for being on his phone. I had just taken a drink and she yelled at me to keep my mask on or they would throw me off the bus. I was so shocked and explained that I just took a drink and would keep it on the rest of the trip.
    I am a rule follower, not a rule breaker. I was definitely taken aback by the way they spoke to me and would never enter into a confrontation. Just guess that they have had their share of non conforming people and wanted to nip it in the bud.
    In NYC, I was happy to see almost everyone wearing masks, except some young kids. We had our temperature taken when we arrived at the dr. office and were given different masks to wear. D3 and I ate outside of a restaurant and that was the only time all day we took off our masks. Our lunch was delicious and it was a long, nice tiring day. On the bus home, the air conditioning was great and we were able to skip some stops and got home earlier than expected.

Fillies Fan, Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  18. Gardencook

We had to head to Park City, Utah for a couple days and as if the wealth and luxury weren't enough, the pandemic made it feel like a different planet.

They're being a LOT more cautious there than other places around the region. Masks are required everywhere and we got temperature checks as well as being asked if we'd been out of the country or had symptoms.

Check-in and check-out at the hotel was entirely contact-less -- and we had to ask what that even meant, since we'd never done that before.

The first restaurant had only two small families on the front patio with empty tables between them and we got a huge side patio/sun room all to ourselves. The waiter was careful to open the window beside us before we sat down to circulate the air.

Many restaurants there REFUSE to accept cash. Don't know what they would have done at the first one had we not had a credit card, because we've never had a restaurant refuse cash before so weren't expecting it. There was no sign warning us in advance. :rolleyes:

You aren't allowed to board at the front of a bus, and must use the rear entrance -- even though there are no stairs. The drivers sit in a front compartment with a plastic sheet between them and the riders.

At least the first one spoke to us. The second one refused to even talk to us and when a glass bottle fell from a waste basket set four feet above the floor (don't ask me why ...) it rolled around the floor for most of the trip and we couldn't get her attention to ask what to do with it. There were no trash cans outside the bus and if we put it back in the waste basket it would simply fall again.

She wouldn't respond when we thanked her for the ride, so we assumed she wouldn't respond to a question about the bottle and had to leave it to roll around like it had been. o_O

Since Sun Valley created Idaho's hot spot very early in the pandemic, I told myself it was understandable a ski resort would be concerned -- even in the off-season. However, the second night there, the local news reported Summit County (Park City) had the state's largest spike in new cases.

On the way home we stopped at a favorite restaurant where masks are required, but they haven't removed all the seating while you wait for a table and they are seating people in all the booths (with plexi-glass above the backs of the booths) instead of every other booth like most restaurants.

That county started out re-opening by restricting restaurants to six people at a table, but we noticed now no more than 10 can be seated in one group.

Still that county has fewer cases than the one taking so many precautions -- and they are right on the freeway between national parks like we are.

Like everything else with this pandemic, none of the "traditional wisdom" about disease transmission seems to add up. I keep trying to find a "common thread" to the outbreaks like they taught me in medical school and there doesn't seem to be one. :confused:

19. Gardencook

Went to the store we used to dread today. There is actually only one of the old "clique members" who still works there and we make a point NOT to go through her register, because she is still a pain. We seem to have nothing but positive experiences with the new employees they've hired the past few years. It is like a completely different store!

Today when we got to the front, the dreaded clerk was the one with the fewest customers. We got in a longer line at the register next to hers, hoping that we wouldn't get directed to her register by a manager, but we couldn't get farther away because the registers on the other side were entirely blocked by lines of "social distanced" customers weaving all over the place. You couldn't tell who was in what line.

Soon a friendly employee came to say she'd help. At first we feared she was directing us to the line we didn't want and apparently she saw our hesitation, because she told us she'd check us out. She was extremely friendly.

The clerk got to chatting/complaining along with us about our masks after mine ended up in my mouth when I inhaled after she asked a question. :rolleyes: I explained I've gotten to the point I'm afraid to talk with one on.

Apparently, the man behind us in line took our chat wrong and thought we were planning to quit wearing masks -- even though they are required and we follow rules.

He said he and his wife had just gotten over COVID and he told us, "You don't want it!" He said they were careful about wearing masks and following procedures and still got it. He said his wife got sicker than he did, but food still doesn't have any taste when he eats it. He said she is back to work, but it was bad while they had it. He said she ached very badly all over even though she only had a fever for about two days. :(

Jorainna, jastwins and Fillies Fan like this.
  20. Gardencook

The store manager was walking our direction as we entered today and he stopped to talk. He's been there for years and I thought some of you might be interested in his wealth of experience. It might give you some idea of why stocking has gotten so crazy at just about any store these days.

We asked if stocking was beginning to get easier and he said it goes in fits and starts. He'll be able to get something for a while and then suddenly it is unavailable again. It has been a real challenge trying to plan ahead.

I mentioned that I had a digital coupon on Lysol products today and checked the website to see what was in stock at the store. I figured at least there would be a few items. Under normal circumstances I'm sure our store would have carried at least 10-12 items that fit the coupon by the time you figure there are usually two or three scents for any product. However, the site told me there were only two products that might make it to the store, but the store didn't have them in stock and both of them were "unavailable" to ship.

He said many cleaning products are still impossible to get. He said they've been told that many won't be caught up and readily available until well into 2021.

He said toilet paper is still a problem. Where they used to get pallet loads of it, when they get it now they set out the small shipment and it quickly vanishes.

He said selection is still a problem. Many items they just have to place a sticker over similar varieties on the shelf label. They might be able to get one type, but not the similar one that used to sit right next to it on the shelf.

He said the metal shortage is also creating huge problems. Soda manufacturers are only producing their best sellers, because they can't get enough aluminum to produce their full line. He mentioned a small list of Coke products and said they are the ONLY products that are even being manufactured right now.

He said he knew canning would be really big this summer so they tried to prepare. Since they can only get a small supply of any item at a time, they've been ordering canning jars all summer long -- trying to build up a supply for the onslaught. However, all the supply they were able to collect is now gone and there are no canning jars available and lids are absolutely impossible to get -- once again due to the metal shortage.

Meanwhile, he said the farmers haven't been able to deliver a steady stream of produce this summer either, so that has presented problems for people who want to can, as well.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020