Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

I did some pretty deep consideration when it came to buying the unbleached flour and oatmeal at our discount store. They didn't have limits like all the supermarkets do. That store had a LOT of flour when we bought it. Of course, the stuff they had didn't last long when all the grocery stores are out.

Couldn't decide if I was overdoing it, but ended up buying five five-pound bags of flour and five large canisters of oatmeal -- which was only a small percentage of what they had.

They didn't have much in the way of whole wheat flour, but we've got quite a bit of that -- and a flour mill with grain if that runs out before it arrives in the stores. I can't make white flour like I can whole wheat.

I've been using more unbleached flour to stretch the whole wheat flour we have, so didn't really want to use up the little left in my last bag.

I just get SO tired of having to buy large quantities of things in this town when I can find things. It takes up so much room to store it, but that's the way we survived here LONG before COVID-19.

We were FINALLY getting the point we could find almost everything we needed here, except for a few specialty items we could buy when traveling. Now after this, I fear we'll be back to stores that won't stock anything. :(

They still prefer only one family member shop here and DH said the aisles were still wiped out yesterday so I think I made the right decision.

With the amount of bread DH eats, it has been nice not to be running to the store to buy it and he keeps raving about how much better it tastes.

Thankfully we weren't desperate for anything we ordered from Amazon. DH has needed a laptop cooler for quite a while, but his computer isn't overheating and I couldn't think of anything else to combine with it to avoid paying shipping. The one I ordered for my computer months ago is still running -- a very rare thing -- so he wanted the same brand I bought.

When I realized I could get a gallon of blackstrap molasses for so cheap, I figured that would at least get us the free shipping. I just hope it doesn't spill all over in shipping ... :eek:

I've still got at least half a gallon of molasses on hand. It doesn't technically say "blackstrap," but a dollar/discount store in Washington had it for something like $1.99 or $2.99 several years ago and I wasn't going to squabble about what sort it was for that price. It is pretty dark, so may well be blackstrap. We bought more than one gallon at the time -- basically all we could fit in the already stuffed car. :p

We still aren't in the clear around here. DH noticed yesterday that Stan Ellsworth a "Biker Dude" who rode around America on his Harley telling the history of the nation for a BYU Television series has contracted COVID-19, is on a ventilator in an induced coma and the prognosis is not good. Utah -- where he lives -- hasn't been hit that hard by this yet, so we're not sure how things will go with reopening.

Cathy, jastwins and Sherri1480 like this.
  2. Gardencook

Poor King Arthur Flour! It has been totally overwhelmed by this pandemic.

A Facebook post today claims they've been working at three times capacity so have decided to give their employees a break this weekend. I can understand that, however, they've taken a new approach. Not only are they not producing/shipping products from Saturday through Monday -- they aren't taking any new orders.

Most companies would allow their computers to continue to take orders and simply not bother to process them until Tuesday when they got back to work. Apparently, since they can't supply the orders they've already taken for flour, they aren't going to take any new ones.

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  3. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Almost everything in Israel is open right now. Exceptions:

1. Foreigners are not being allowed to enter the country.
    2. Israeli citizens who fly in are required to self-isolate for 14 days.
    3. Restaurants are allowed to deliver or offer Take Away (but should be allowed to open fully, with carefully placed tables, next week.
    4. You cannot go into an infirmary if you are running a temperature of over 100.4. If you are, you have to phone your doctor and describe the symptoms. If he decides it is serious enough, he will contact Magen David Adom (the Israeli Red Cross) which will send an ambulance to your house to take you to the hospital.
    5. No church, synagogue, or mosque is allowed to have more than 10 people in it at any one time.

Additionally, before you can enter almost any commercial building or shop, your temperature will be checked at the door. You must be wearing a mask anytime you are outside, but it does not have to cover your mouth and nose unless you are within social distance of someone else. Otherwise, it is sufficient to have it pulled down around your neck.

4. Gardencook

It is interesting that Israel is still not allowing international visitors @Fillies Fan. I saw a story yesterday that made me wonder about that. It claimed that because so many colleges are going "virtual" next year, many students were considering taking a gap year in Israel.

The story didn't quite compute to me. If the colleges aren't holding classes due to COVID-19, it doesn't seem like planning for international travel is the wisest use of a high school graduate's time.

The article does mention a student who fears she won't be able to go, but that is buried at the end of the article. I would think the real story might be how many students are cancelling plans for a gap year rather than suddenly changing to a gap year plan because their college may go virtual.

Perhaps the Israeli tourist groups are just pushing the idea -- and the reporters are too lazy to do the research. ;)

Here's the story:
    As colleges go virtual, students instead are heading to Israel on gap year programs

I know our university here is REALLY pushing summer virtual courses. Considering the current economy that might well be the option I'd be considering were I young again.

I graduated high school in the midst of the poor economy of the late 1970s and jobs were virtually impossible to find at that time. I can only believe they'll be much harder to come by this summer and getting a semester of college out of the way might be a pretty good use of time.

I didn't have the finances for a gap year, but I'd think waiting until the virus is behind to travel might make more sense.

jastwins, Sherri1480 and Fillies Fan like this.
  5. Fillies Fan

It is very possible that by September (or even earlier) Israel will allow foreigners to enter the country. Tourism is a major part of the Israeli economy. Israel might also put restrictions on the entry of people from particular countries -- specifically those which still have a high coronavirus rate.

jastwins, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  6. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

In Long Island , we are into phase 1 of re-opening and I hope it goes well enough so we can get to phase 2 and phase 3. I was supposed to go shopping today but D2 had an eArache. There is finally a new doctor on our island and I know the family. Luckily he was able to fit us in today and help D2. I could not go in with her and she has to go back next week since it looks like she has a growth behind her ear drum. If this is the case, she will need to get it removed. Ugh. The last place I Want to be is a hospital.

7. Gardencook

Things are slowly reopening here. We went to a couple thrift stores today. DH melted my two favorite spatulas and they are a style you can't find any longer. We didn't really have anywhere to go, so figured the long shot of finding a used spatula to replace those was as good as any -- since I haven't been out of the house for more than a week and a half and there is still hardly anywhere to go. :p

I thought surely with two big thrift stores now open (for a couple weeks) the third big one would be open, as well, but that wasn't the case -- and the one still closed was the most likely to have what I was looking for.

Tuesday Morning announced bankruptcy today and is closing a number of stores for restructuring -- including both of the stores on this side of the state. Unfortunately, we fear that is only the beginning. Our store still has a big sign outside announcing it has re-opened, but it appears now it only opened to liquidate stock. :(

On other fronts, we got some good news today. Delta (our only commercial airline) tried to use COVID-19 as an excuse to quit servicing our city. That would have been our death knell. However, Delta got a slap on the hand when the U.S. Department of Transportation denied the request to leave.

Under normal circumstances our flights are virtually always packed and our airport has free parking unlike the other airport. Fares are usually substantially lower, as well, that's why many people make the drive to fly out of our city rather than their own.

Considering we have the Idaho National Laboratory an hour and a half away and the FBI is just about to complete a HUGE expansion here in our city, I would think leaving our side of the state with only one airport would be a matter of national security.

Sherri1480, Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  8. Gardencook

We're officially in Phase 3 of reopening starting today, which means we can do a little bit of travel -- if we don't go too far.

A few more restaurants will be slowly opening, although some were allowed to start reopening toward the end of May. It is up to the owner's discretion, so some are opting to stay closed, believing they can't turn a profit with restrictions.

Movie theaters are able to start reopening with restrictions, but it doesn't look like ours are opting to do so. Our second-run theater has already announced it will wait until June 15. It is using the shutdown time for a remodel and deep-clean and isn't yet finished. It still hadn't installed a plastic barrier near the lobby register either.

The big theater hasn't sent an e-mail, so I'm guessing it is still closed. We weren't really planning to rush off to a theater anyway, so not a big change there.

Saw a notice from our regular grocery announcing new senior hours yesterday, but didn't bother to read it since we've just been shopping during regular hours anyway.

I had thought we'd test the waters for a few weeks to see how reopening goes and perhaps venture down to Salt Lake for shopping toward the middle or end of June. However, the demonstrations got pretty violent there yesterday so looks like that will be postponed.

One of DH's cousins said her son lives only a couple blocks from the SLC demonstrations and it was really wild over the weekend. We're guessing the park where there was so much trouble was the one taken over by "Occupy America" a few years ago and that is right near where I need to shop. :confused:

I SURE miss having stores in this town!!! Reopening doesn't mean much when there are few department stores left to open. I need shoes badly and we only have one shoe store and Penny's left. They've both reopened now, but generally don't have my size in stock. :(

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Sherri1480 and Fillies Fan like this.
  9. Gardencook

COVID hasn't hit our region too hard compared to many other parts of the country. However, that may only mean that most of us haven't been exposed to it yet. With reopening, we can't help but hold our breath -- especially with the lack of social distancing we've seen in all these protests.

Today, we got the word that one of the employees at the Perkins only a short distance from our home contracted it and may have exposed customers. They are asking anyone who dined at the restaurant June 2 or 3 to be tested.

We didn't eat there, so aren't affected, however, that restaurant was already in trouble. It just barely got its doors re-opened and the employee was a waitress trainee who only worked two shifts before getting sick. That certainly isn't going to help the restaurant any. :(

jastwins likes this.
  10. jastwins

@Gardencook , I went shopping off island today and you could see more people on the road and in stores. There have been many protests in NYS and they are planning one on my Island this Sunday. Luckily, I will have to pick up D2 from the Connecticut ferry and plan on missing the whole thing. We have been fortunate with only 9 cases on our Island and sadly, 2 deaths.
    After finally getting to phase 2 of re-opening, these protesters will get us back to quarantine. I will be one miserable person if that happens. If certain stores do not re-open soon they will go out of business.

Gardencook likes this.
  11. Gardencook

Try to tell that to my sister!

She was angry (and so were we) when crowds were gathering too closely to protest governors who wouldn't reopen their states as rapidly as some would like.

Our governor really took a lot of heat, but at least those protesters weren't violent. It still disgusted us that protesters refused to abide by social distancing for a couple more weeks when it was for the good of the public as a whole.

After ranting about those protests, now that they are tearing up the streets my sister supports violent protests all the way! When DH has made a couple comments on news stories he posted on FB about the violence/lack of social distancing, my sister has come back at him with snotty retorts. Apparently, without bothering to ask, she now assumes we agreed with those who were protesting over reopening dates -- even though she "liked" his comments about lack of social distancing on the previous posts. She has a VERY short memory -- and a very heavy agenda! ;)

Did I not see so many genetic resemblances between me and my sisters, I'd be convinced I was accidentally switched at birth -- and it was like that LONG before I moved to another state! :p

We're still not going out all that much -- waiting to see how the reopening goes. We'll be entering Stage 4 on June 15th.
    We wear masks when we go out even though it doesn't "feel" like we need to any longer. We prefer to be safe than sorry, although you can tell some of those who refuse to wear masks do resent the fact that we wear them.

We've got a mixed bag in our city right now. All of the employees wear masks at grocery store chains. Most of the customers are wearing masks at our one Kroger store, fewer customers wear them at our other Kroger store and hardly any customers were wearing them at Albertsons the other day -- and those one-way aisles were driving EVERYONE there CRAZY.

Our smaller Kroger store also has one-way aisles, but I just shopped the periphery when I was there last week so didn't run into as many problems as at Albertsons.

I haven't been into Walmart or WinCo for weeks to see what is going on there although DH said Walmart went to one-way aisles before anyone else. All the grocery store parking lots have been packed through this since it was the only place anyone could shop.

When I ran into our discount grocery the other day, the clerk who wore a mask a few weeks ago wasn't working that day and the one who was checking wasn't wearing a mask a few weeks ago either.

There was an elderly customer wearing a mask and a grandmother/daughter/granddaughter team at the register not wearing them, but driving us crazy while they held us up running back first for leftover Easter candy, then for gum, then for sunglasses ... they didn't care that there was only one clerk on duty. I do get overheated wearing a mask so try to get in and out of stores as quickly as possible. :confused:

There weren't many customers in the store that day, since the owner is having a hard time finding "discount" groceries to stock the shelves. I suspect "surplus" groceries are at a premium due to all the panic buying.

The owner had a move planned before the pandemic hit so was able to keep his employees working during the move, but now I hope he doesn't lose his store. It is hard to cover overhead when you can't stock shelves!

Most of our "non-essential" stores are open now -- some with shortened hours -- although we've lost so many stores the past few years there isn't much selection. Tuesday Morning only opened its doors to close the store, since it is one of the bankruptcy casualties of COVID-19.

The thrift store employees were all wearing masks last week. Deseret Industries seemed to be the most cautious. It opened at a later date than the rest with limited days of operation and an employee disinfecting carts while keeping tabs on the number of customers in the store. Idaho Youth Ranch offered disinfectant spray and a roll of paper towels. Goodwill wasn't even offering disinfectant to wipe down your cart!

Movie theaters are still closed although technically they would be allowed to open with precautions.

Parks are open again, but the zoo is only open weekends. The pool at that park is open limited hours, is at reduced capacity and prefers you make reservations to swim.

Sit-down restaurants are slowly opening doors with limited hours and lots of precautions. I don't know WHEN or IF we'll ever see a salad bar at Sizzler again -- and that is the reason we LOVED to go there.

Buffets were already struggling before the pandemic, but this may kill them. :(

Golden Corral has reopened. We haven't been there, but it sounds like those buffets are going "Cafeteria-style" where employees dish up the food for you or in some instances "family-style" where servers bring food to you.

The fast food places aren't bothering to open their dining rooms at all. I think they've been making money hand-over-fist on drive-thru during the crisis and aren't in any hurry to add the expense of keeping a dining room clean.

We can't seem to get an order filled correctly with drive-thru, so unlike many Americans have been eating a LOT less fast food.

The city has announced it will resume water cut-offs for non-payment next month unless individuals who can't pay contact the city to make arrangements.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Cathy, Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  12. jastwins

@Gardencook I agree that the fast food workers just do not seem to care. I have NOT gotten my drink order right once in the last 3 months. One clerk at Wendy's told me to taste all 4 drinks and figure it out. Very disappointed in that location.
    We are still in phase one, going into phase 2 on Long Island. The rest of the state is in stage 3!!!! I could scream. I just can't stand it anymore.
    Today, I lost my school key in the building. UGH. My bank account was overdrawn...my fault. I am trying to save money.....and should have left it in that account, but no, I wrote a check to my other account and went food shopping last night. An Amazon purchase that was pending last week and finally hit last night was what caused me to be overdrawn by $6. This has messed me up more than once. I was able to get them to refund the fee and put money in the account since I want to have a cushion in case I forgot something. Then, d3 springs on my that she has not paid off her tuition and I am furious with her. I had given her half the money and not sure why she did not pay it. We will discuss it when she gets home.
    This day, during a pandemic ,is not what I needed.

Gardencook and Fillies Fan like this.
  13. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

No covid related but they just cancelled my favorite tv show, LivePD. They also cancelled COPS. I have been thinking about cutting the cord for awhile now, I guess it's time. There are two shows on PBS that are coming on, but other than that, nothing.

14. jastwins

@mtka, I agree with you that they have nothing on cable that is worthy of me paying them what I do every month. It annoys me that they are cancelling the cop shows and now are trying to get rid of Paw Patrol. I have reached my limit with the nonsense.
    Good news is that I found my school key!!! It was safely locked in the school refrigerator overnight after falling into the tray that holds the fruit cups. Prayer works!!!

15. Fillies Fan

16. jastwins

I wear the school key on a lanyard with my ID and another key around my neck. The school key was on a wire ring that bends easily. Each day I pack up 48 lunches for delivery and placing the sealed fruit cups in each bag is part of my daily routine. A metal tray that I put back in the refrigerator caught my lanyard as I was lifting it up to the top shelf. So grateful that the key was in the metal tray and not delivered to some elementary student.
    If that happened, I might have had to have a contest as to who got the gold key and offer a prize to get it back! Just like Willy Wonka and the golden ticket.

Fillies Fan and Gardencook like this.
  17. jastwins

As I keep track of the news, I watch several other states that eased restrictions and are now in the same boat my state was in 2 months ago. The governor is taking his time going fully into phase 3 and I think he is correct in doing so. Crankie and I went off Island yesterday to walk around and have lunch at a dockside town a ferry ride away. Most people wore masks but not everyone. They did have staff to ensure you wore a mask if you entered a restaurant outside dining or a bar. It was crowded and a beautiful hot day. Let's see what happens in two weeks and if the numbers in NY go up again. Fingers crossed that we can start school in September. All we have to do is survive July and August without a spike in Covid 19 cases.

If anything positive came out of this pandemic it is that I earned more money for the way I was paid and that was a huge help. Normally they pay me for days I worked (but not time off from school--spring break) but I was guaranteed straight pay whether I worked or not from March until the end of the school year. Even my bank job is letting me put in full days where the rest of the staff is working staggered shifts ( but earning full pay). Just happy to have a job.

Gardencook and Fillies Fan like this.
  18. Gardencook

Our numbers are spiking here in Idaho, but most of our cases are in Ada and Canyon counties -- Boise and its suburbs. They are blaming the bars reopening, however, our bars reopened at the same time and we haven't seen a corresponding spike in numbers. Thankfully, so far our numbers are still relatively low, however, the fact that we still have a few new cases can't help but cause concern.

I still think the protests of a few weeks back had more to do with the spike here in Idaho. We did have a few small protests, but nothing like the shoulder-to-shoulder protesters on the Boise Capitol grounds -- few of whom were wearing masks. It seems like that makes more sense than the bar re-opening theory since bars were taking precautions -- but I guess what seems to make more sense isn't politically correct. :confused:

We tried to drive around and see the eclipse last night, however, it was like driving through a battle zone dodging fireworks in the streets. There were some pretty large groups congregated all over town celebrating with home fireworks since the city's show was cancelled.

Perhaps many of those groups were large families who had already been exposed to each other, but the two houses just south of us both had big gatherings of more than just family -- one right after dark and another quite a bit later. That's pretty close to home for us if the virus travels any distance by air.

We'll see what July 4th does to the numbers in our county over the next couple weeks. :confused:

There is still a mixed bag of reactions when we go out in public. Most business employees are required to wear masks -- although they were definitely slacking off at Denny's and Big Lots this past week. :(

DH tried something new and went INTO the credit union the other day. We've only had drive-thru the past few months even though we used to go into the building to do business.

He said the teller who helped him was glad to see customers again after so long because he said it had been pretty "creepy" while the building was closed to the public. Thankfully, all the tellers are wearing masks.

In the stores, older shoppers seem to be taking things more seriously than younger ones and you see a lot more masks and social distancing among that age group.

Masks aren't required here so many people don't wear them -- and with the heat, numbers of mask wearers are dropping. Our regular store has a higher percentage of customers wearing them than other grocery stores, it seems.

We still sense a lot of antagonism among some of the "deniers" who refuse to wear masks and they are getting more careless about brushing right by without giving others any space. Of course, the stores with one-way aisles are worse, because people just desert their carts in the middle of the aisle -- blocking everything -- while they run elsewhere in the store to collect things. :mad:

Among the stores there is only one thrift store that still has anyone in the foyer hired to wipe down carts between customers, but even the stores that earlier didn't supply any disinfectant now generally at least have spray bottles with paper towels by the carts so you can do it yourself -- which we do.

Now that the heat is arriving, I feel sorry for the store employees who are suffocating in their masks -- even though it is a necessary precaution. One of our favorite clerks the other day said she tries to get outside for fresh air on many of her breaks. Then even though she isn't standing near anyone she usually has someone scold her for daring to take it off for a few minutes. Apparently, some people have taken it upon themselves to "police" store employees -- even when they aren't on duty.

Thankfully, we haven't yet encountered any employees standing at the door forcing hand sanitizer on us. I've always taken advantage of the wet wipes at the door of any store that offers them -- and I did that LONG before COVID-19.

I worked in a medical facility during college and have been almost compulsive about hand washing ever since. We've always had wet wipes in our cars to use when we get somewhere that feels less than clean or before we eat, however, even though I carried hand sanitizer in my purse long before the virus hit -- I hardly ever use it. I've got an aversion to anything "sticky" on my hands. It just about drives me up the wall -- even if I use a hand lotion that is a bit too greasy.

I react to hand sanitizer in much the same way. I wouldn't have ANY problem whatsoever if someone stood at the door with wet wipes AND hand sanitizer and let us take our choice, but I dread the day things get so bad they can force us to put "sticky" things on our hands instead of using wet wipes. :p

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  19. Linda_in_FL

Linda_in_FL Cancer Research Warrior! Trader Group

20. jastwins

Today our CEO sent us an email that he has Covid 19. Luckily, his symptoms are mild and he is in quarantine. He is a guy that is very friendly and is in our branch frequently. I hope he continues to recover fully from this virus.
    In the Hamptons over the weekend, there was a Chainsmokers concert that was probably not the best idea, but once again, greed wins. People paid big money (tickets were $850 to $25, 000) to go to this charity fundraiser and while they say they followed protocol, the pictures on FB show otherwise. It does not look like everyone was 6 feet apart. Let's see if our covid numbers go up in 2 weeks. UGH!!!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Jorainna, Fillies Fan and Gardencook like this.