Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Mar 9, 2020.

1. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Our state testing event was packed today. Hoping those sick people stayed in their cars and went directly home and didn't stop at the Chick Fil A next door. Made a very brief stop in Kroger today, hoping for a few things, settled for 2 bags of frozen peas. Not really worth the trip. I gave in and stopped at CVS. I talked to a pharmacy tech in the parking lot and she told me stories about people coming in saying they were just tested and might want to clean behind me, yuck! I ran in, the Easter candy was right up front, didn't get my m&m fix but did get at least a little chocolate in the house. It just makes me feel better.

Sherri1480, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

So, a former Kmart employee was sporting his old t-shirt today. (Kmart closed here several years ago and they've closed most in neighboring cities/states, as well.)

The front of the t-shirt read, "Attention Kmart Shoppers ..."

The back read, "Shopping is FUN again!"

Yeah right. We assume he was demonstrating a bit of sarcasm -- on MANY levels. :confused:

Sherri1480, bugweena and jastwins like this.
  3. Gardencook

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  4. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Yesterday, I took mom shopping in the shop rite in her town. You had to wait on line to get in but the store was crowded. Hard to practice social distancing when others do not care. We had our masks and gloves on so we did ok.
    Today I will venture Up the block to pick up mom’s medicine at cvs and am curious to see how long that line will be. Next week we may try Costco depending on the weather.
    My sister is resting at her home and I am happy to say I am too, at my mom’s house.
    I slept until 8:30 am this morning and that was with a nap yesterday.

bugweena, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  5. jastwins

I just saw a news story about a man who started to raise funds to buy potatoes from Idaho farmers and donated them to a good distribution center in the Bronx, NY. His organization is getting in touch other farmers so food is not wasted and gets to food banks.

bugweena, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 3 others like this.
  6. Gardencook

He should get some onions while he's at it. They can't give them away on the other side of the state! This was Main Street in Payette, Idaho yesterday. So sad ...

A year or two ago was when we got so much snow the roofs on the onion warehouses collapsed destroying the crops, now this. :(

upload_2020-4-25_18-18-38.png

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  7. Linda_in_FL

Linda_in_FL Cancer Research Warrior! Trader Group

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Taxpayers will pay restaurants to make meals for millions of California's seniors during the coronavirus pandemic, an initiative that could pump billions of dollars into a devastated industry while generating sales tax collections for cash-strapped local governments, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday.

https://www.aol.com/article/finance...rants-to-feed-seniors-in-california/24099424/

bugweena, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  8. jastwins

Today was a gorgeous day and I went for a walk with my mask on my face. I encountered several people outside their homes, not wearing any masks. I walked by a park ( just 1 square block) I used to go to with my girls and hardly anyone had a mask on their faces. There were at least 50 men women and children in the park. I kept mine on except for when I sat on a bench for a few minutes. When I took mom to pick up her prescription and a few items, people at both locations had masks.
    The lack of consistency is mind boggling.

bugweena, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  9. Linda_in_FL

Same here - Wish people would be sensible
    Here is a NEW site that Art's daughter started a few days ago -Robin's Roost - check it out
    www.robinsroost.life

Robin just celebrated her 59th BD today. We are so-o- proud of her.

Here is description:
    My blog is designed for the purpose of discussing all things people and pets. Topics will include but are not limited to the COVID Corner, pet antics, dog show info, personal stories and poems. The COVID Corner is open to anyone who needs a place to share. All content on this blog will be closely monitored as to keep it user friendly. Please check back daily as there will be daily posts. If there is a topic that you are interested in then let me know. I hope you enjoy! We will talk soon.

Robin is an RN, APN, CCRN and has been a Director of Nursing for the past 13 years. She was selected as Director of Nursing of the year for 2020 for the state of N.J. She is certainly our hero.
    upload_2020-4-25_22-14-20.png

She has been the world of competitive dog showing for 36 years, (since she was a teenager). And is now
    upload_2020-4-25_22-15-16.png
    the #1 dog in Owner Handlers of Wirehaired Dachshunds (Selected at the AKC October, 2019. Here she is with Twizzler, the champion Dachshund

xxxxxx

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Cathy, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  10. Gardencook

We're running into the same thing here. The governor announced plans for starting to open the state on Wednesday.

The plans are actually extremely cautious and wise. He's opening a very few things May 1 on a trial basis. Still no haircuts until May 15 and we really aren't scheduled to start most things until June. He is not slinging the doors open with abandon.

However, the psychological effect has not followed the plan. Yesterday, the roads were packed with cars unlike several weeks previously. It looked like our typical summer tourist season traffic. :(

While Walmart and Kroger started requiring employees to wear masks this week, fewer customers were wearing masks than just a few days earlier.

Meanwhile, the next door neighbors had two cars "visiting" from Colorado. No one from out of state is even supposed to be here! We haven't left the county for two months, let alone traveling somewhere else in the state. What are out-of-staters who don't have essential business doing here?

On a more positive note, a locally-owned second run movie theater has been selling drive-thru popcorn bags each weekend and a lot of residents have been trying to help them out by going. I understand that. The response has been heart-warming.

I noticed quite a few related posts today. One lady couldn't make it this week so she called the theater, gave them $50 and told them to treat the next several customers.

A locally-owned cookie shop apparently surprised owners/employees with free cookies for an an afternoon snack. A locally-owned pizza shop showed up with pizzas and a locally-owned doughnut shop brought doughnuts. I HOPE they just dropped them off and left, but you know how it goes with friends you haven't seen in a while ...

Guess at least small businesses are all pulling together -- BUT the owners/employees all huddled together for a picture of the gang shoving doughnuts in their faces. It would be a nice picture under normal circumstances. However, there were close to 10 on duty if you include the photographer, there was nothing close to social distancing in the photo, there were no masks/gloves in sight and how many cars came through the drive-thru today?

If even ONE of that multitude of individuals was carrying COVID-19 ... :eek:

We've been relatively protected so far, but we've still had a handful of cases in our county, and more in neighboring counties. The state as a whole has had nearly 2,000 cases and about 54 deaths. It CAN happen here, whether people want to believe it or not. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    bugweena, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  11. Linda_in_FL

12. jastwins

One thing I saw online that made me laugh today.
    A kid asks his mom “Did you have to stay home all day for CoVids 1-18?”

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  13. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

I'm trying my best not to be jealous of my sister, but she emailed me today to tell me that they've reopened salons where she lives (Winnipeg, Canada). So she gets to get her hair cut. OK...I'm jealous!

14. Gardencook

DH saw an unexpected turn of events today. Tomorrow is the "Big Day" when the governor's plans for reopening the state begin. After noticing how careless everyone was being when the plans were announced we couldn't help but be concerned about how well it would go. The governor is being VERY cautious with his plans, but people were acting as if all the danger had passed!

DH went to a grocery store today and was pleasantly shocked to see at least 60 percent of the customers were wearing masks -- something we haven't seen in the past. We've been among the few customers wearing masks the past few weeks. Perhaps reality is finally setting in for some people. Most store clerks are now wearing them, so perhaps that is what it finally took for a dose of reality.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    bugweena, Sherri1480 and Linda_in_FL like this.
  15. jastwins

Mom and I waited 30 mins to get into ShopRite today. More people must be shopping since it is Friday and probably a payday. I spent another $71 to get some things I was out of and stock up on others. I grabbed Viva paper towels (forgot my coupon) for $7.79 since I could not find them for the same price at CVS. Everyone was wearing masks and kept their distance. I stocked up on beans, seltzer and bought a large twin pack of peanut butter. It was nice to find veggie burgers on sale and I bought 2 boxes.
    As I head home tomorrow I will stop and buy more meat and veggies.

16. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

I thought I posted this before, because I remember typing it. But, I might just be remembering typing it to my sister or my daughter.

So, today the dentist an vet offices were allowed to reopen. Also, any elective surgeries that don't require an overnight stay started back today. On Monday manufacturing, distribution, and construction companies can reopen. They all have strict guidelines that they must adhere to...social distancing, sanitation, etc. Then on the 12th, retail establishments that haven't been allowed to be open during the stay at home order can reopen. Again, with restrictions. Masks are not mandatory for customers, but are strongly recommended.

Our governor announced all of this on Monday. Yesterday, he extended the stay at home order until May 29th. So, I guess we now have to stay at home except if we want to go shopping???

Sherri1480, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  17. jastwins

Our schools will not open for May or June. Very depressing to say the least. I head back to work on Monday help out with packing meals and we may have 2 more kids for daycare. The more the merrier!

18. Gardencook

So last night I enjoyed a beautiful virtual sunset at Pacific City, Oregon. I think I spent at least a half hour with a gorgeous view of the beach wishing I could be there but knowing that was as close as I was going to get. I could almost smell the salt air and hear the sea birds as they flew. I know the sound so well, the waves were definitely crashing in my head.

The camera was a stationary live feed, so it isn't like the news station that broadcast it had to send a camera crew on a five hour round trip to get the footage.

There were a few condos to the right side of the shot and I could honestly see where the two or three couples -- all obeying rules of social distancing -- could have easily exited the condo they call home year round for an evening walk.

Tonight the same news channel had a live feed of Canon Beach -- which just happens to be my favorite of the Oregon Beaches. There are residences ALL along the main highway and many yards have direct access to the beach.

I saw exactly two "groups" walking the beach. One was a family of five with three young children, another was a couple. Again, both were maintaining proper social distancing and appeared to be absolutely no threat of spreading COVID-19. Contrasting the fresh salt air and sunshine with a germ filled building in the city, I think it would be hard to find a safer place to be -- for them or anyone they could potentially contaminate. For many people that may well be their "backyard."

So what do I see flying by in the comments to the live feed? A predominance of criticism and angry face emojis!

Rabid comment after rabid comment telling the station to QUIT showing pictures of the beach because it would only tempt people to go there. Others were demanding these people be cited. Some were angry that the station would taunt them by showing video of a place they weren't allowed to go. Then there were arguments about whether people could walk on the beach if they were locals or whether the beaches were entirely closed to foot traffic.

Someone claimed that unless people owned a "private beach" they had no business being on it. News flash -- there are NO private beaches in Oregon. Governor Oswald West was elected more than 100 years ago on a platform to make ALL Oregon beaches public -- and thankfully his foresight succeeded.

At one point I saw a small white SUV/flat bed pick-up driving on the beach. I didn't think anything of it. From my video vantage point (which was the same as anyone commenting) I've seen many police officers and life guards driving similar vehicles at beaches -- and the white color smacked of "government vehicle." I saw nothing nefarious and simply assumed it was a public servant patrolling.

Whoever was driving the vehicle could plainly see the family and couple walking on the beach and could have told them to leave -- but didn't seem concerned.

Even if it was a private vehicle which shouldn't have been there, it wasn't spreading the virus. Why not let law enforcement worry about it and enjoy the scenery?

People went ballistic! They COULD NOT stand it that anyone would dare to drive on the beach right now. How DARE they?

Finally, I could hold it in no longer. I thanked the station for the beautiful footage, explained I grew up in the Portland area and the Coast was one of the things I missed the most after moving inland. Since we obviously won't get the chance to visit this summer, I explained that it was the next best thing to being there.

Of course, no one commented on my comment. They were too busy ranting about all the people the station was supposedly encouraging to break the law. I certainly hope the busy-bodies don't get the gorgeous shots stopped. The myriad of Oregon beaches I've seen over the past few weeks have brought back many fond memories.

If two small families of two to five people each night were the best the station could do at "encouraging" people to flood the beach, I don't think there is much to worry about. :p Looked to me like officials had everything pretty well under control.

What is it about people that they can't maintain balance? Either they are denying there is a problem by rabidly protesting any attempts of government officials to keep the pandemic under control or they have appointed themselves police force to the world and are ready to call 911 if someone buys what they decide is too many rolls of toilet paper. :confused:

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Sherri1480, flowerkitty and jastwins like this.
  19. Gardencook

Saw a post on the King Arthur Flour Facebook page a couple weeks ago. It was claiming there is not a flour shortage in the nation. It claimed so many people are baking that they are processing flour at full speed, but it is already sold when it comes off the line.

Still sounds like a "shortage" to me. The flour aisles in our stores are still wiped out, so I'm assuming other flour manufacturers are having similar problems. :(

Today, King Arthur had another post. Apparently, since it can't bag flour quickly enough it is now going through an outside facility that doesn't normally package flour. The photo was of three-pound plastic-like pouches that are now rolling off the lines.

Quite a few people commented on the post asking when they might expect the flour they ordered back in March so apparently they are that backed-up on orders.

I got an update on my Amazon order today and it sounds like it might arrive earlier than their original estimate of the beginning of June. I considered placing an order several weeks ago, but got a message that they were so backed up supplying the medical profession that basically they'd get to my order when they got to it. That didn't sound promising and I opted not to order then.

However, I did notice a lot of people were complaining on the Swagbucks page today about the fact that they aren't getting their Amazon orders. (Not quite sure what SB is supposed to do about that! :rolleyes:) So apparently, Amazon is still swamped, as well.

flowerkitty, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  20. jastwins

@Gardencook Amazon does have some stuff in stock but they are out of many things. Oh and they “lost” my mom’s Mother’s Day gift. There was no tracking info in it at all, so I ordered another one to be delivered. My orders have one date when I place them and the date changes the next day. If you are a prime member, forget about 2 day delivery. They should really give refunds on that membership.
    The stores by me all have limits on flour. Luckily I have 3 bags of it since the kids told me I was out when they could not find the bag I put in another cabinet. My neighbor does peapod and they never deliver everything she orders due to shortages and limits. She was thrilled when last month I bought her a boneless leg of lamb, sharp provolone & 72 eggs from Sams club .
    I used to love to shop but it is so stressful now and I hate that they are out of things. No sales and the prices are too high. Here’s hopi g things get back to normal one day.