Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Linda_in_FL

Linda_in_FL Cancer Research Warrior! Trader Group

If the schools are closed for too long, the parents are going to find a vaccine for corona virus before the scientists do

2. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

TRUMP RESIGNS!

The president was left with no choice after his visit to a local school with Spanish singer Julio Iglesias.

Despite their advanced ages, neither man was observing self-isolation and the two were walking together with almost no distance between each other -- without wearing masks.

They probably could have gotten away with it, but as Trump explained, "Rosie, the queen of Corona, saw me and Julio down by the schoolyard".

Cathy, bugweena and jastwins like this.
  3. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

FF...thanks for the laugh! But now that song is stuck in my head! :eek:

jastwins and Fillies Fan like this.
  4. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Our Schools are now closed until the end of April. NYS Regents exams in June are cancelled. We are still providing meals to 47 kids each day and daycare for 2 kids when needed and I help out each day.
    I just saw a video that shows my county, Suffolk county in Long Island, as the epicenter of the outbreak. Guess I will be wearing my mask whenever I go out now. Just frightening.

Cathy, Fillies Fan and Gardencook like this.
  5. Linda_in_FL

Stay well Jasmine!!!

xxx Linda

jastwins likes this.
  6. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I can help you by getting it out of your head and into your computer:

Linda_in_FL likes this.
  7. XUfan

LOL!! I can't listen to it!! If I do, it will be stuck in my head again!!

Fillies Fan likes this.
  8. XUfan

I keep seeing commercials (I think for Grub Hub) asking us to please keep supporting the restaurants that are open, by ordering takeout. They remind everyone that it will help to keep those businesses open, and help the economy. I get it.

As the wife of someone who works for a restaurant franchise, I should be the first one who understands this logic.

But, because my husband does maintenance for said restaurant chain, and can be in as many as 6 different restaurants every day...plus the parts stores and hardware stores for the things he needs to fix whatever they broke. He keeps saying, "The governor says I'm an essential worker. Do people really need burgers and fries?"

People I know are still ordering takeout and delivery several times a week. I'm cooking at home, and conserving every dollar we have, because we don't know how long this will go on...and if they'll still consider burgers essential.

bugweena, jastwins, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  9. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

I understand what you're saying, @XUfan. I realize there are some who have never learned to cook or who live in an inner city where grocery stores are at a premium and fast food may be one of few options.

I also realize businesses all across the nation are hurting and the employees who have been laid off by those struggling businesses are also hurting. The economic effects of this pandemic are going to be long-lasting all across the globe and will affect every single one of us in ways we can't yet begin to comprehend.

However, it is beginning grate on me that I'm getting daily e-mails trying to make me feel guilty if I prefer to eat most meals at home and am not "supporting" these businesses by eating every meal outside the home. I thought the idea of "sheltering in place" was to minimize contact caused by those who aren't essential and required to be out in public. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

I'm not advocating prohibiting all restaurants from staying open, because I do understand how essential they are to some people. We're still eating take-home on occasion ourselves. However, each time you go through a drive-thru, you make contact with a few more people -- all of whom touched your food. Someone has to handle that food while preparing it, then someone has to package it up and even if you get "contactless delivery" someone has to drive it to your house and leave it on your doorstep.

On the one hand some health professionals are going to the extreme of telling you to toss out all your plastic bags as soon as you bring home groceries, put canned goods in the sink and wash them with soap and set boxed goods aside for several days to a week before you touch them again -- because of the danger of contamination. On the other hand we're being told there is no danger with takeout.

Coronavirus isn't the only bug going around -- just the one currently getting all the attention. Even during good times we have outbreaks of salmonella, hepatitis and E. Coli at restaurants. China just announced an outbreak of Norovirus among customers ordering home food delivery.

Isn't there a happy medium somewhere?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  10. Linda_in_FL

jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  11. Gardencook

12. XUfan

Gardencook and Linda_in_FL like this.
  13. jastwins

I am very happy to see my insurance company, State Farm is planning to refund its customers.

Gardencook and Linda_in_FL like this.
  14. Gardencook

I thought the same thing when I finally saw it on a list. It wasn't mentioned with previous news stories mentioning companies giving rebates, but then as DH said, "Seeing is believing." :rolleyes:

jastwins likes this.
  15. Linda_in_FL

16. Gardencook

On April 15, our governor announced he was extending our stay at home order until at least May 1 -- a move we pretty well all knew was coming. However, he did make a few amendments, easing up a very few restrictions.

The one my husband found most baffling is that "dog groomers" are now considered an "essential" service, however, barbers/beauty salons are still required to stay closed. Apparently, your pooch can have a haircut, but you can't!

DH has a full head of black, naturally curly hair -- which his mother always claimed he stole from her when he was born. No one in his family goes gray. He can't stand those curls and needless to say they are getting a bit bushy after several weeks without a haircut.

When he posted his observation on Facebook, he mentioned that by the time all this is over he is going to look like a shaggy dog! :p

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  17. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

The governor here just closed schools for the rest of the school year. Our county announced the last day of take home packet days will be May 1st! At least kids had something to do during March and April, now what do they do?

We went to town yesterday to do a pick up Kroger order, Tractor Supply curbside order, and a drive thru prescription order. Kroger disappointed me again with the out of stock items. This time it happened to be just about all of my mom's want list. We only have 36 cases in our county and all but 5 are recovered (except for the 2 fatalies:(). I put on my N95 mask that I used for drywalling, still smells like drywall dust, and covered it with a homemade mask. Put on some hot pink nitrile gloves and set out inside the grocery store for the first time in over 5 weeks. Luckily we have 2 Krogers in our small town and was able to get my mom some of what she wanted. It seemed like the only people wearing any protection were the older folks and the vulnerable folks. The younger lot acted like nothing was wrong. Those are the people who are probably spreading it.

We will have a state run drive thru testing site here for the next 3 days, so I'm sure our numbers will jump. They want to do 1,000 tests, but you have to have symptoms. I hope there aren't that many sick people in this area, but I guess we will be the testing site for a large chunk of southern Kentucky.

The Earth Day event we like to go to was, of course, cancelled. They decided to do a drive thru handing out of plants and seed packets tomorrow. Hoping to get a tomato plants like we always do, but will be happy with anything!

jastwins, Gardencook and Linda_in_FL like this.
  18. jastwins

@mtka I am sorry to hear that school is cancelled for your kids, but sadly, that is the trend many are following. You can find many online sites for school work or ask the children's teacher for some more websites to try. Many
    educational websites stepped up and offered free access to a site that normally charged a fee. Libraries are also offering free books online. I understand your concerns. Is there any chance the school district will offer summer school activities online? Check out the website of the school to see what they have available.

Gardencook likes this.
  19. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Thanks for the info, but I don't have any kids. Just wondering about the kids around. Yesterday I had to chase off 2 teens on atvs trespassing on our property. They just tear up the land and don't care. I would have thought they would have wanted a few more weeks to give the kids something to do and continue with the free meals, but I guess not. I guess they will start the summer free meals really early to make up for it. They were delivering meals by school bus, until some drivers elsewhere tested positive, now you have to drive to the school. Such interesting times.

jastwins likes this.
  20. jastwins

Yes, I agree with you....too much time on a teen’s hand can lead them to make bad decisions. It is not like they can go to a practice or event. Since many businesses are shuttered, they cannot even go to work. You hope the parents can keep them busy, but they have other things to worry about. I feel bad for the kids that lost out on sports, after school activities, prom and for some, graduation.
    Just a weird turn of events that still has me sad and unsettled.