Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Mar 9, 2020.

1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@Linda_in_FL thank you to your daughter for her hard work as a nurse. Her poem hits every feeling we are experiencing with this health crisis. My sister is a nurse too and she is in the NICU. A co-worker's daughter is a nurse in Manhattan, but has be reassigned from her hospital (where they have elective surgeries) to Weill Cornell medical center and is helping with patient overflow. Very nerve wracking and scary to say the least. New York's numbers just keep going up our governor is on TV every night complaining about the shortages of masks and ventilators.

Cathy, Fillies Fan, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Today the governor issued our statewide stay-at-home order for the next 21 days. We knew it was coming and the city had already closed all the playgrounds earlier in the day.

Other than groceries, DH hasn't been going anywhere anyway, and I haven't been out of the house for more than a month already while I waited for my "stuff" to pass. Basically, it won't mean much of a change for us. DH made a point of getting a large quantity of produce when he could last Sunday so he wouldn't need to go back for a while.

Still Moffat County Colorado wants us to come visit. It has plenty of lodging options available during these trying times. :confused:

Did get Facebook notifications from a few of the other tourist sites yesterday saying some of its previous posts had been "misunderstood" and they don't want us to travel -- but that certainly wasn't how the posts read. I think they just got caught. :rolleyes:

Noticed the grocery ads for a couple of our stores were a LOT thinner this week and I don't think we got an e-mail from a single national chain grocery like we normally do, even though they did technically put out ads. I did get one from a small independent grocery an hour away which wanted us to come buy Powerade -- but I think we'll pass. :p

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  3. jastwins

Our one store has limited the number of people allowed to shop at 15. Carts are sanitized after use and seniors can shop 7-9. Am. Still the store is not stocked enough to get all you need so you just make due.
    I am pretty sure we are going to be closed for the month of April according to our superintendent. He will make the announcement tomorrow.
    I helped out in the daycare room yesterday. Most fun I had since this all began. We had a “snowball fight” with Pom poms and I lost badly! I made the kids listen to Frank Sinatra and the Beatles much to their protests. What do they know about music at 4 & 6?

Jorainna, Cathy, flowerkitty and 2 others like this.
  4. Linda_in_FL

Linda_in_FL Cancer Research Warrior! Trader Group

5. jastwins

Our school will be closed until April 15 & I did get paid today for which I am very grateful.

6. Gardencook

We've got a LOT to be thankful for in this country. I watched a Youtube video of a family shopping trip in Australia that was pretty shocking. It was filmed just within the past couple days.

It is a large family of 18 and with limits of one or two on most items, I don't know how they are going to feed their family! Most of the store shelves are empty, so they can't even get their small limits. The crisis hit there several weeks before it the U.S. and Australia STILL can't restock its store shelves. That country has REALLY been hit this year!

The family couldn't get ANY beef and only found a small expensive piece of lamb along with some pork. They found a little soup in stock and bought their limit of two cans of chicken noodle -- even though it takes five cans to feed the family. They did find one lone cup of Ramen noodles and weren't sure which family member would get that. :p

I wished I could have reached through the screen and told them to hoard the carcasses from the two rotisserie chickens they bought and make chicken broth! ;)

They couldn't locate any bread, but did find potato rolls in the bakery and bakery items weren't limited so chicken and gravy over rolls was what they concluded would be their dinner that night. Maybe that's where the chicken stock they could make from carcasses was going.

It reminded me more of rationing in World War II Britain than the 21st century.

Not that things are easy in some areas of this country. I saw one from Louisiana and another from Michigan which looked almost as grim.

A large family in Wyoming is faring a little better, but only because the father shops on a nearly daily basis. With limits of one or two on milk, he has to restock that virtually every day.

Then out of sheer boredom I watched some "dumpster diving" videos -- not exactly my cup of tea, especially during a pandemic -- but I've watched videos of dumpsters from Canada and Australia as well as the U.S. and it seems some people are doing better pulling food from the garbage than they are from store shelves! The past few days they've been finding eggs, meat, soup, pasta/sauce, toilet paper, cleaning and personal care products in the garbage -- even when they can't find the items on store shelves. Crazy, crazy world!

And while I was writing this, my husband just saw on the Internet that China has now reopened the Wet Markets that have brought us both SARS and Coronavirus. :mad::mad::mad:

7. jastwins

It has not even peaked in NY and things are getting worse. When i look at the number of cases still occurring, it blows my mind. More and more restrictions are popping up everywhere. Last night, I waited 40 mins to pick up a prescription for my daughter and 20 minutes was spent waiting outside the store and 20 more minutes inside the store on the pharmacy line. No one could see the small sign they posted on the door until you finally were at the door. Only 10 customers in the store at a time. People in masks everywhere, looking nervous and I do not even own a mask.
    Today, I found out a co worker will be out for today and next week. I am nervous to think she is sick or was exposed, but they have been running this woman ragged. She works in the school and for the town and volunteers as an emt. After helping in the school, she does a few things for the town and is probably working double the hours she should be. Her health is ok, but she has bad asthma. I hate to think that she may get sick doing what she was told to do, (she needs to get paid, and is afraid to lose her job if she says no), but not having the courage to speak up for her own health.

Next door in Kmart, no limit on customers in the store and you could just walk in and no one was there to tell you otherwise. As I went to King Kullen, I barely made it since they were closing at 8 pm. I had 10 minutes to shop and they had a limit of 2 of any item. I bought 3 of something and no one said anything.
    Cvs had very little of what was in the circular and it was disappointing to say the least. When I asked the girl when they were going to get stock, she said it was supposed to come that day. Oh well, guess not!

8. Linda_in_FL

Sorry about all that Jasmine. Things getting bad here in FL too as numbers rise but not like NY. We have 2 neighbors who were on that cruise ship - Not home yet.

Here is a parody on the song from Sound of Music

Do re mi" from Sound of Music. Corona-revised lyrics are good -- and veddy, veddy British (WFT is "whinge" and "blob?"-- though the pictures contradict the social distance message.
    Here is the link:

Stay well everyone
    Linda

Cathy, Jorainna, Gardencook and 2 others like this.
  9. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Yesterday, they announced that Ohio's "Stay at home" order has been extended until May 1.

I don't want to talk about it.

10. Gardencook

@jastwins, I've been seeing some Youtube videos on making your own mask the past several days, but wasn't quite satisfied/motivated with what I saw.

However, I just came across a scaled down version of the ones I'd been seeing. It is more what I was looking for since we'll still be able to use the supplies after this is over. All it takes is a bandana and a couple hair elastics (Scuncis) -- or rubber bands if you don't have those. I've got a ton of bandanas -- every color in the rainbow -- to keep my hair under control in the garden.

This one is no sew, so it will be SUPER easy to launder. It takes less than a minute and could technically be made with a simple piece of cloth in a pinch. If you need one that won't scare children, you might even find some cute children's print fabric. You might want to take a look at it.

I just whipped one up for DH from a new bandana and it only took a few seconds. I will make one for myself this evening.

Here's the video if you are interested:

EASY STEPS/ DIY FACE MASK in 40 seconds / No Sewing Machine / No manual Sewing

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  11. jastwins

We just heard via social media that 2 men from my Island have passed away from Covid 19. Of course they will not give any other info and people are on edge. This may explain why my co-worker was out on Friday and is not in next week. She is a volunteer emt and may have transported one or both of these patients to the hospital. Once again no one is sharing info and I may just be left to wonder if she is sick or not. She and I both worked closely packing up the lunches and breakfasts bags and helped to load them in the truck for delivery. It is just upsetting to think she could be sick and she has an underlying medical condition. Praying that she is fine and that the rest of us were not exposed.

12. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

My crazy neighbors had at least one couple over to their house yesterday for a cookout and games. The couple was standing in very close proximity to my neighbors--like 2 feet not 6. Luckily I don't interact with these neighbors much since their dog runs my dog up and down our fence. :( There's another couple down the street that had people over last week. I think people just don't think it will happen to them.

13. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Our neighbors directly across from us have entertained the past two Saturday evenings. I don't get it!

Jorainna, bugweena, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  14. Gardencook

What I've gathered from all this, is that people are absolutely INCAPABLE of contemplating the idea of spending some time alone -- even if it is for the health of the nation or loved ones. We live in such a superficial age, perhaps they are freaking out to be alone with their thoughts.

This "Me Generation" also seems to feel entitled and doesn't want anyone telling them what to do -- and I'm including a lot of older Americans under that label, not just the young ones. I can't imagine where the nation would have been with these attitudes during the Great Depression or either World War and people had no choice but to do without.

A big ski convention at Sun Valley that brought in skiiers from all over the world spread COVID-19 very rapidly in Blaine County -- before anyone realized the gravity. The residential population there is low, but elderly and infection rates for that particular region are supposedly even higher than New York City.

Due to that (and a couple good-sized earthquakes one of which was VERY near Blaine County) people around here seem to be taking things seriously. Our city in eerily dead at times and our neighborhood is silent for the most part. Just a few cars drive by our house each day, most of them "essential employees" headed to work.

We have some masks somewhere. I've been trying to find them, but I suspect DH hauled them to the garage and lost them like he has so many in the past. However, after the advisory to wear masks on Friday it was obvious DH wasn't feeling right about going without one any longer. He said each time he went to the store more and more people were wearing them. That's why I rigged one up from a bandana over the weekend.

He's really thrilled with it even though I've warned him it is going to be HOT. It is simply a matter of a few simple folds, but he'll have about eight layers of fabric over his mouth and nose.

I honestly don't know how the big cities are going to get this crisis under control, however, if people would just follow the rules I think most of the lower population areas of the nation would be able to "flatten the curve" quite quickly.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Jorainna, jastwins and Linda_in_FL like this.
  15. Linda_in_FL

People have no regard for others. We have a lovely pool area in our Sr. residence and were told not to congregate in groups - Some like the ones that you described above did not heed and sat in groups of 10 around one table - Three mena d a woman sat around one table playing cards for 2 hours earlier this week - so they had to come and take away ALL the chairs on Thursday and Friday. Now NO ONE who DOES abide by rules the can sit 6 feet away from someone else down near the pool and get some sun.

Stay well everyone

Linda

Jorainna, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  16. jastwins

My friend and co-worker is doing well and since she was exposed to the virus through her EMT job, she has opted to stay home. She needs to take her temperature twice a day and report if she has a fever. It just shows how much people are put at risk just doing their everyday job.
    At the IGA this morning, everyone single customer and employee was wearing a mask. This alarms me and my nerves are shot. Crankie had a face mask and luckily I brought a scarf for our morning shopping trip. While the town says nothing, the reason this is happening is, in my opinion, the two people that died must have been in our one and only island supermarket. They still have the town employee outside spraying down carts and limiting the number of people entering the store. So I will just pray that my family does not become ill.
    As for the social distancing, it is not working here either. I see kids skateboarding together outside my school!!!!! Hello, parents....keep them home... oh, but you are tired of them so you send them outside, unsupervised and knowing they will find each other and hang out. Mind you, these kids were over a mile from their homes if they were at the school.
    One of the daycare kids is having a birthday party at home today... cannot wait to hear how many people they had over since the kid has been talking about it all week. Very scary indeed that the adults set this up and do not follow social distancing rule.

Jorainna, bugweena and Gardencook like this.
  17. grandma608

grandma608 Active Member Trader Group

this is scary stuff. Our state governor issued a stay at home order good until June 10th

18. Linda_in_FL

19. Gardencook

So, DH gave his new mask its trial run today and made a new discovery. The mask makes his glasses steam up, so he can't wear both at the same time. :confused:

While I've got to put my glasses on to read fine print, he often has to take his off to do the same. I guess that makes him the "official" grocery shopper until the masks are a thing of the past.

He's gotten to know one of the employees pretty well the past several weeks, because he's needed to ask where to find some things. The fellow still recognized him, despite the fact DH looked like an old west outlaw.

DH told him he felt rather foolish in the thing and the fellow told him, "No, that's good!" The employees do appreciate any actions we can take to keep everyone safe!

jastwins and bugweena like this.
  20. Linda_in_FL

Belinda - Your husband needs one of the twist ties inside the mask up near the nose to tighten so he does not fog up the glasses
    I don't go out of apt. much but DO go down to get mail and to mail what coupons people ask for - so I MADE a mask from an old RELAY FOR LIFE T shirt - It has a pocket in the back where I can slip in a coffee filter (Have a lot of those that I do not use anymore).
    upload_2020-4-6_8-28-30.png

jastwins, Gardencook and Fillies Fan like this.