Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We postponed a purchase of fish that was on sale, hoping the panic would die down after a bit. However, I didn't want to get to the store the last day of the sale and discover it was all gone so DH bought it today. Didn't figure plain, unseasoned fish fillets would be a big panic item and they weren't.

He said the shelves were still wiped clean of things like bread, milk, toilet paper and hand sanitizer. In produce (many shelves were also bare) DH ran into a man in a full gas mask!

At the checkstand a clerk mentioned it was like people thought the apocalypse had arrived.

I messaged my nephew who works at a superstore in Washington State and asked him how he was surviving the craziness. He said during the holidays an average shipment is 3,000 cases. Yesterday, they got more than 4,000 cases and it was all gone within a few hours.

Of course, on top of it all Washington got snow yesterday! Anyone who lives in average America would not believe how panicked Western Washington gets with a tiny skiff of snow, so that multiplied the problem.

My nephew said most of the shoppers yesterday were simply people "crazy shopping because they heard everyone else was crazy shopping."

Even around here where Mormon families are encouraged to have enough food storage to keep a family going for months, I've seen vloggers buying foods they already have plenty of in storage simply because they think they should do it like everyone else. One gal wanted brown rice, but bought the last two pounds of white rice she found at the only two stores which had any. She later showed her pantry where she has a five-gallon food storage bucket full of rice!

Why did she need the four new pounds she bought? Didn't she think someone else could use it?

Did see a post from one of the independent grocery stores that had to cancel its sale after shelves were wiped bare. It said a large shipment of stock has arrived at the Associated Foods warehouse several hours away and they have trucks on the way to restock their shelves.

2. Gardencook

And DH just noticed a FB post. The store an hour away which on Friday had customers snaked several times around the store with more than an hour's wait time to the registers apparently had an incident where an elderly man got pushed by the crowd and fell hitting his head. Apparently, no one tried to help him until a young man pushed his way through the crowd to come to his assistance. :eek:

We've noticed Woolworth's (an Australian grocery chain) has started setting aside morning shopping periods for elderly customers and those with weakened immune systems so they don't have to fight crowds and be exposed to more people.

Today our small independent store -- the one that has pulled all of its ad prices -- made the same sort of announcement. The grocery shipment that was supposed to arrive 6 a.m. Monday won't be there until 6 p.m., but they are setting aside a three hour block from 7 a.m. until 10 a.m. each morning for shoppers over 65 and those with other health problems. Regular customers aren't allowed in the store until 10 a.m.

Saw another video tonight -- I'm guessing from the New York area -- which to me demonstrated just how spoiled we are as Americans. A vlogger explained that Wegman's was closing that night at midnight, since it couldn't restock.

While the store was picked-over, they weren't entirely out of food.

The vlogger kept saying things like "They're completely out of potatoes!" Meanwhile, he was lifting the night burlap covering and showing quite a few varieties of loose potatoes -- the type sold by the pound. He did point at an area where bags of potatoes were sold out, but they were not OUT of potatoes, they simply didn't have the bags of potatoes he normally purchased.

He made the same comment at any number of products throughout the store. I'm afraid we've got a generation of people who have never had to deal with REAL shortages.

We lived through some panics over items that were in short supply during the 1970s, but I've still never felt like we were really deprived in this nation. Guess I read too many reports years ago from the former Soviet Union and Eastern Block nations where if people saw a line forming they would simply go stand in it without a clue what they were waiting for -- it might be carrots, it might be bread or it might be meat. However, it was assumed if people were willing to stand in line it must be in short enough supply to stand in line for.

Just because we might have to "settle" for red potatoes for dinner instead of russets, I still don't consider that the same as going without. :confused:

3. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

@Gardencook I could only find red potatoes as well. They were delicious with the cabbage and corned beef I fixed yesterday in the crockpot. I generally have a good supply of staples so I am not worried about having enough food to eat--I am more worried about overeating if I can't go to work! I think it is great that stores in your area are setting aside time for the immunocompromised and the elderly to shop! It is sad to see the panic of stampeding and fighting over products. Stay safe.

4. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

As of 9pm last night (Sunday), all bars and restaurants in Ohio are closed to indoor patrons. They can have their drive-thru open, and they can deliver.

5. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

It's good to hear that people in Ohio can drive to their favorite bar, drink a few cocktails, and then drive home -- without ever getting out from behind the steering wheel.

6. XUfan

You're too funny! I should have clarified. The bars are closed. The restaurants can only have their drive-thru open, or you can have food delivered. But you knew that...didn't you? ;)

Also, I got an email from Doordash today, saying that you can request a "no contact" delivery. You just have to specify when you order, and give instructions for where you want the food left.

7. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

I am thankful I have a stock pile and will be fine for well over a month. @Gardencook , I agree with you in that many people do not know how to live in a time of shortages. Having grown up with Depression era parents, you buy the necessities first and then if there was money left you buy extras. We rarely ran out of anything and my parents always had a small garden. You just may do with what you had.
    The other day I went to look up toilet paper online. If you wanted a large pack of scott tissue from Amazon, you would get it April 22!!! Maybe, by then, I will need some. LOL
    It is saddening to hear that the elderly are being injured in the midst of all this uncertainty. I agree the store hours should change and people should not have to fear for their lives just because they ventured out to shop.
    Yesterday, NYC public schools closed and this is the biggest school district that has never had to do something like this before. I feel for the parents that had minimal time to prepare. The crazy Mayor did not want to do this but finally made a decision since teachers were threatening to strike. NYS has over 700 cases of Covid 19 and our restaurants are closing earlier as are some of our stores.
    I laughed at the potato video and am happy I have (1) 5 lb bag at home. Last week I could have had any potatoes I wanted, but I put it back just took the one. WE will live without the extra carbs.
    Later today, I will figure out how to teleconference in for a meeting from my school job. So glad d1 and d3 will be around to help.

8. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

First death in Kentucky and now all restaurants are closed unless take out or delivery. People wonder why there is panic buying. I believe it's because of these incremental closures, may be the grocery store will be next. They start by saying the schools should be prepared to close on a 3 day notice, then 24 hours later, the schools should close tomorrow. Then continue on with your normal life but take extra precautions, then 24 hours later something else is closed. Now we have all kinds of places offering alternative school programs, come bring your kid to play with all these other kids. Our governor has already said that these daycare and other groups of kids thing most likely will be the next on the closing list. Some people were complaining about reduced hours at a clothing store, stating they will take their business elsewhere. Really? You can't wait to buy clothing for a few weeks?

I am off to go panic shopping (not really). I just need dog food. I always need dog food and cow food and goat food and horse food. Seems like all they like to do is eat and poop. I am planning on buying at least 3 extra large bags, it will last me 3 weeks. I was going to do it Friday, but decided against it because town was such a zoo. Hoping for less of a zoo, but kinda expecting a larger zoo.

9. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

@mtka Yes, we have to prepare for our animals, too. I counted 31 cans of dog food (to supplement dry) but can make that last much longer than the 31 days if necessary. Fortunately bought 2 40# bags of dog food at Sam's last month so we are good. @jastwins Yes, my grandparents and parents were frugal people as well and I learned from them. I have lettuce in my garden already so at least I will have fresh greens in my diet if we can't get out. I don't have kids in school but our system closed over the weekend but had previously announced just Friday about only canceling sports, extra curricular activities, etc. I feel bad for parents who had to scramble to make a plan. Stay safe everyone.

10. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well I'm back from town. I sure looked like a panic buyer and got some looks and comments. Yes, I had 4 5-gallon canisters of gas in my cargo area. When I fill up at Kroger, I get 35 gallons between the gas cans and the car. It was $1.90 and used up my monthly $1/gallon discount. Yes, I was loaded down with grain. Sadly, that will only last us a week and have to get more very soon. I only got 2 bags of dog food and 1 bag of cat food, still need 1 more bag to last us 3 weeks. They are strongly suggesting a 3 week supply, I think all stores will be closed very soon. I will have to get more grain soon, and find a place to store it safely. The grass is just starting to grow, but won't sustain them yet. Kroger was stocked, but little meat and bread. I guess I will stop at Dollar General and get some bread, but we can live without it. Once I get the grain and last bag of dog food, I will be ok staying home for 2-3 weeks.

11. Fillies Fan

I can think of three men, one of whom will be elected president in November, who often suffer from foot in mouth disease.

jastwins and bugweena like this.
  12. XUfan

Yesterday we had to go to the DMV to get tags for my husband's car. They don't expire until next month, but I worried that that office would be next on the list of closures.

After that, he wanted to go to the next town to go to a store that I didn't need to go into. Since that town's Kroger is in the same shopping center, I dropped him off and went to Kroger. It's a much smaller store than the one near me, and I didn't know where anything was. So, I walked the aisles and picked up a few things. Nobody was shopping the produce dept, so I got some fresh veggies for the next few days.

While I was walking through the store, they started announcing all of the things that are on restriction...two of this, three of that, etc. The list was so long, that it took several minutes to read. It felt surreal to me. I was in a store I'd never been in, and I'm hearing someone tell me I couldn't buy much of anything. It was like I was in a movie.

If any of you know me at all, you know I suffer from anxiety in several forms. This virus and the ever-changing restrictions, closings, etc. is not helping. I have tightness in my chest. I can't sleep. When I eat, I immediately have stomach cramps. I want to cry every time I think about not being able to spend time with my kids and grandkids. I pray a lot...but it's not helping.

13. Fillies Fan

I have known quite a few clergymen who were well-trained in psychology. I would suggest you speak with your family priest. He might be able to help you himself or else recommend someone who can.

jastwins likes this.
  14. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@XUfan please know you are not alone in your feelings of uncertainty during this pandemic. Today at school you could see the tension in some people’s faces. Trying to keep busy at work kept me on the go helping teachers distribute their lessons. We are setting up a delivery delivery schedule and I will be there to help out.

It was strange shopping tonight at cvs and elsewhere. Cvs had no paper goods and no water. I got 3 rain checks for other items out of stock.
    Petco closed early. I went to Kmart to add to the dog food I bought earlier in CVS. Other stores like T J Maxx closed at 8 pm. Just realized it is like we have a curfew. Even the roads on the way home were empty.
    Sad and strange.

Jorainna, flowerkitty and Gardencook like this.
  15. Linda_in_FL

Linda_in_FL Cancer Research Warrior! Trader Group

Have you seen the frenzy? I am GLAD that SOME stores are getting in TP, Paper towel, Wipes and LIMITING what people can buy - Look at what some nasty people are doing on EBAY selling TP, PT, wipes. WHERE did they person get all of this - I feel sorry for the people who have to buy their items.
    Please everyone stay well - I have you ALL in my prayers.
    Linda

16. Linda_in_FL

I shudder and wonder what kind of example we are seeing when we are told to keep our distance from others and then every time we turn on a Presidential press conference we see a group of people standing shoulder to shoulder like this!!!!!!!!!

upload_2020-3-18_15-49-42.png

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Jorainna, bugweena and jastwins like this.
  17. Gardencook

DH took off to the store across town to try and get the overcharge on the ground beef taken care of. We'll see how that goes.

The gal at the meat counter tried to give him higher-priced beef. He specifically told her, "No, I want the lower priced stuff." She packaged the lower priced beef, then charged him as if he had bought the higher priced stuff anyway -- twice the price! :mad:

New mega sale started at another store where we are hoping to get chicken -- which we've been unsuccessful at for more than a week now at more than one store.

I've got a couple digital coupons that are close to expiration, probably aren't in terribly short supply and apply to the sale. The problem there is that most of the "filler" items I could find were paper/cleaning related -- the same stuff the store either doesn't have or is limiting quantities on.

One digital coupon requires the purchase of TWO, but IF the store has any, they may not have two ... so I also sent a coupon that is good on one. However, I doubt limits will allow DH to buy three and when he sees a coupon good on two and one on one he'll most likely be confused, even though I tried to explain that I was just sending enough coupons that I'm hoping he'll be able to reach the minimum of five mega sale items on SOMETHING -- as if trying to help him understand coupons wasn't already confusing enough. o_O

Chances are NONE of the items for which I sent non-digital coupons will be in stock at all. :eek:

And DH just called. The store STILL doesn't have any chicken. They didn't get any on the latest truck for today's sale. They are supposed to get another load tomorrow, but don't know if the truck will have any chicken then either. Meanwhile my cold seems to be relapsing and I'd REALLY love Greek lemon chicken with onions and garlic to try and kick it. Not the biggest thing in the world to whine about, but ... :(

We were getting low on multi vitamins and had a coupon that would require DH to buy two to reach the proper threshold amount, however, he said the store only has one bottle in stock.

We still aren't in panic mode, but unfortunately, this is why people are panic buying. When they get to stores too many times and find empty shelves, they think this is the "new norm."

And of course, today's good-sized earthquake in Salt Lake City certainly didn't help matters ... people in our region will increase panic buying now -- just when I was hoping things would start to calm down a little bit.

18. Linda_in_FL

Hi Barbara

I JUST read what you wrote
    (from your msg)
    "DH took off to the store across town to try and get the overcharge on the ground beef taken care of. We'll see how that goes.
    The gal at the meat counter tried to give him higher-priced beef. He specifically told her, "No, I want the lower priced stuff." She packaged the lower priced beef, then charged him as if he had bought the higher priced stuff anyway -- twice the price! :mad:"

"The store STILL doesn't have any chicken. They didn't get any on the latest truck for today's sale. They are supposed to get another load tomorrow, but don't know if the truck will have any chicken then either.. "

Sorry that your cold seems to be relapsing - Just be GLAD at a time like this that it is ONLY a cold!!!! I am in the midst of clipping coupons for someone in another trade group exactly because of this - She requested these coupons since there is no meat or chicken in her stores either. (I noticed that in my PUBLIX this weekend ALSO and a friend told me SAME yesterday). I KNOW the restaurants ARE open but shorter hours and some drive through only.

Hello Linda
    I would love these coupons. Hoping the restaurants will be open for use.
    1 of all Burger King
    1 of all Subway except 3 footprints
    2 of all Steak n Shake
    2 of all Longhorn

I think she is pretty smart to go to the drive up windows or use take out to feed her family. I HOPE that the places that supply the restaurants will be able to keep that up, or the restaurants have a good supply now. Maybe their food supply will last longer than the grocery stores with many people afraid to go to restaurants now, the shorter hours and fewer people allowed in.

God Bless all who - Please stay healthy and sane in this crisis.

Linda

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  19. Gardencook

Well Linda, I'm guessing that if I wanted to put DH through the torture of dashing to every store in town, he'd probably be able to rustle up some chicken. I'm just not panicked enough to put him through that -- or pay the sky-high price when he found it. :rolleyes:

I'm actually feeling petty when the worst thing I can complain about is chicken. We've got plenty of food on hand, so we definitely won't starve. There just doesn't seem to be anything like FRESH chicken when you're sick, so we keep trying.

We made chicken soup using fresh produce, canned chicken and packaged organic broth yesterday -- and that's when my cold started to relapse. I'm sure the two aren't related, but ... :p

Thankfully, we're well enough stocked on paper and cleaning products that DH doesn't have to bite and claw through crowds to find the stuff.

We've known something like this would happen eventually, so we've always tried to stay prepared. It is just the minor inconveniences that drive you up the wall.

DH said it was an eerie feeling like he was shopping in the old Soviet Union today with all the empty shelves he passed and even though the store wasn't that crowded, people were acting really oddly like they couldn't take in all the empty shelves.

As for my cold, it is a different one than I've had in the past. No cold is fun, but at least this one is staying in my sinuses and not settling into my lungs like they usually do. I've suffered through MUCH worse!

I think I've consumed at least 15 or 20 pounds of Mandarins and quite a few grapefruit in the past several weeks, but aside from acting as a "palate cleanser" I'm not sure they're doing anything. :confused: I got on a Mandarin binge a week or two before the cold set in and they definitely didn't seem to prevent anything.

My cough got worse overnight, but it is not the dry cough I'm supposed to be watching for and I seem to be over the hump again this afternoon. The night air always seems to make things worse and I COULD NOT stand my dirty hair any longer, so washed it again yesterday when I was feeling much better. I suspect that didn't help.

I'm still better than I was last week so don't want to expose myself to something worse sitting in a doctor's waiting room full of people sicker than I am -- just to be told to do what I'm already doing.

It took three phone calls home, but DH did finally find enough mega sale items. No toilet paper, wet wipes, or disinfecting cleaner, but he did buy a bag of tortilla chips for which I had no coupon and he found two bottles of Windex for which I had coupons -- Now that I think about it, the father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" thought Windex was a cure for everything, so maybe I've been going at this all wrong! ;)

The friendly store clerk even told us he'd honor the coupon on only one bottle of vitamins since DH asked if they had more in back when we intended to use it on two. That meant we got a better-than-expected price on the vitamins. :)

20. Gardencook

Kudos to Clark's Shoes!

Just received an e-mail and the decision has been made to close all the Clark's Shoe stores across the nation, however, Clark's is opting to pay and provide benefits to employees during the temporary shutdown.

Now if a few more multi-million dollar corporations would follow this example and realize employees still need to pay bills while temporarily out of work.

Here's a link for anyone interested in more details:

Clark's Shoes and the Coronavirus

Jorainna, Linda_in_FL and jastwins like this.