Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Mar 9, 2020.

1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@Linda_in_FL Some students put their belongings in storage near their college before they head home. These students will have to pay for a longer storage time and this incurs an extra expense. Any student that has an issue with getting home now is urged to contact the college for extra help.
    I am still waiting to hear from my daughter and her school regarding her unique situation of not being in Massachusetts and being in a dorm/hotel in Brooklyn. It is not run by any school and there are many different schools that use that building. There are only 10 students from my daughter's school in that Brooklyn dorm. My daughter attends one class in the city and works 3 other days in Manhattan at the NYSE. She is actually loving the city and I hope they let her stay where she is for now. She can take her 1 class online and commute to work as she normally does.

Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  2. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Our public schools have just announced they are closing for a month! This after the basketball tournaments were cancelled abruptly. They are still trying to figure out feeding the kids that depend on the school food. At this point, we really need to just shut down everything for 2-3 weeks, instead of trickling cancellations and scrambling to find alternative plans.

Gardencook, jastwins and Jorainna like this.
  3. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

I've not heard anything yet about the public schools here, but now, during the first girls tournament game today they cancelled the rest of this week for the girls, and all of next week for the boys high school basketball tournaments. The plays at the opera house that would be performed this weekend by the high schools has been cancelled now too.

Gardencook likes this.
  4. mtka

Well there went the NCAA tournament and most of the spring meet at Keeneland.

Gardencook likes this.
  5. Jorainna

I am in Lexington ... where are you at? When you brought up Keeneland it makes me think you are close in to me!

jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  6. mtka

Yep, not far. A little south, closer to the lake. The KY governor just told all schools to close for the rest of the month.

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  7. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Got a message from a friend in Washington State who works for Walmart. She's caught something and even though she isn't working they have ordered her to the doctor to find out what she has. They've got so much of it over there that at least Walmart is taking it seriously.

It is only a matter of time, but so far Idaho is one of the small handful of states that hasn't yet got a recorded case of the stuff.

However, today City Creek Center (an upscale mall in downtown Salt Lake City -- three hours away) was closed, because a customer who shopped there March 10 has now tested positive.

flowerkitty, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  8. jastwins

Last night my school sent word that they would be closed today and would be cleaning the school for the next 3 days. Other districts on the East End of Long Island have closed for a week or two. More cases of co-vid 19 are being discovered but none on my island. However, the school district is treating this as a snow day and I am not going to get paid for that day, but will make it up sometime in MAY. I also need to pull back my paperwork for taking a sick day on 3/13 and save it for another time.
    We are picking up D1 today and bringing her home. D3 is coming with me.
    Best news of the week is that D2 can STAY in Brooklyn, NY according to her school. No one wants an unhappy d2 home and she is happy where she is!!!!

flowerkitty, Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  9. Jorainna

[​IMG]
    Well, there went the Easter Bunny ... :(
    Our public schools will be closed from Monday the 16th to the 6th of April.

jastwins likes this.
  10. Gardencook

What a difference a day makes!

I let DH do the shopping this afternoon to make sure this junk gets FAR behind me before I leave the house. It wasn't the most successful trip, but I guess it could have been worse.

He went to the post office, credit union and one grocery store and said it is a madhouse everywhere!

I had my heart set on Greek Lemon Chicken -- with onions, garlic and lemon for dinner tonight. Thought it would be a great way to kick the last of my "crud."

Wanted it last week, but was too sick to mess with finding fridge space for the great price on large chicken packs. Even though the sale price on the chicken wasn't that great today, a different store was wiped out. Apparently, four chicken thighs was too much for me to set my heart on ... :(

He just about had to risk his life diving for the eggs and ended up getting the last two dozen by the time he could finally make his way to them.

He said the toilet tissue and hand sanitizer aisles were wiped out, even though there was plenty in stock yesterday. Thankfully, we didn't plan to buy any, but I kind of wondered before he left. I checked the website at home before he left and noticed toilet tissue that could be ordered for in-store pick-up yesterday said "in store only" today.

Thankfully, the cheese and tuna that was on sale was in stock and we can still have corned beef and cabbage as planned tomorrow since they were in stock along with carrots. It is too late to start something like that this evening.

Jorainna likes this.
  11. mtka

It was utter pandemonium at the grocery stores today. Kroger was out of so many things. The potatoes were gone, as was a lot of fresh produce, the hamburger meat and all the fresh chicken was gone, I had to dive for a can of crushed pineapple, most cans of fruits and veggies were wiped clean. Eggs were gone but had a few gallons of milk. I tried to load a coupon to my account, but they must have had issues with the app as well.

Next stop Walmart, they had meat and eggs, just no canned or frozen items. I did get a bag of potatoes, the coupons.com app had a rebate on those. I have never seen it this bad before.

The parks here have now closed, and I expect the library to close soon, even though they stated they are staying open for now. I don't get how schools are closed, but movie theaters are ok.

Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  12. Gardencook

Just watched a Youtube video by a vlogger in a city an hour away. She went to five stores today to see what was available. She didn't find toilet paper at any of the stores.

She had footage of long lines of customers snaking all around the huge WinCo Superstore and said people she spoke with claimed they waited in line more than an hour to check out. Every cart in the very long lines was piled to the rafters. Unreal!

jastwins and Jorainna like this.
  13. Gardencook

Just got an e-mail from an independent grocer in the same city.

The store sent a bizarre video the other night. I think it was originally intended to simply be a guy in a funny suit grabbing frozen foods because there was a good sale, however, timing is everything ... :rolleyes: His blue suit looked all-too-similar to a hazmat suit and the fact the footage was sped up to be "funny" made it look like he was panic buying.

I remember commenting to my husband that while it probably started out innocent enough, it came across in very poor taste given the circumstances.

Perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive, but here is the 11 second video in case you are curious.

Anyway, the latest e-mail announced that the store has cancelled the sale, because shortages at the warehouse have made it impossible to restock. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    jastwins and Jorainna like this.
  14. Gardencook

And now a favorite small independent grocer in our city made this Facebook post today: "We are not able to honor any BOGO or Ad Sale Prices until further notice. Thanks for your understanding."

That is the place where we've gotten good deals on grapefruit in the past. They've currently had a case lot sale going and amid all this panic buying, I imagine that would make a nearly impossible situation. The store is so small I believe it mostly takes orders for cases rather than stocking them, but who knows when they could fill those orders with the independent warehouses empty?

15. mtka

All Walmarts and Kroger's have changed their hours. Gives the employees time to stock and clean. I saw the manager of our store retrieving carts, everyone on deck.

16. jastwins

Today I walked into King Kullen and saw what looked a security guard standing in the middle of the front part of the store. It was not too crowded but as I went to check out the meat section there was very little left. No chicken except for gizzards .. only a few pork loin roasts left and some expensive beef.
    I left and went to Best Yet and they had a limit of two packages of each kind of meat. That was fine with me and I bought 12 packs of meat . I spent $130 on groceries and meat and headed home.
    At CVS, I bought a 6 pack of toilet paper for my mother in law. It was all they had left and water bottles were almost wiped out. There is none left near her and she lives in Queens, NY.
    Crankie will drop it off to her when he goes to work.
    D2 can stay in Brooklyn and will work from her dorm. My school is closed one week and May go to a second week. Our town library is closed for the week as well. It was strange seeing cancelled or postponed signs at houses of worship as I drove home today.

17. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

That's nothing. All schools in Israel have been closed until April 19!

Jorainna, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  18. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

It sounds like we all have similar things to report from where we live.

In Ohio they closed the schools for 3 weeks. The end date of that three week period is April 3, but the governor said they would reevaluate at that time. All colleges and universities are on-line only.

Like everyone else who has posted here has said, the grocery stores are being cleared out daily. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I did a big stock up on canned items and some frozen food, just in case. At that time, my cashier thought I was nuts! The only thing I wish I had more of was bottled water.

Yesterday they announced that there will be no visits allowed to nursing homes, with the exception of end-of-life cases. And the hospitals and doctors are cancelling elective surgeries and non-essential office visits.

Our libraries, museums, rec centers, and other public places are closed. Churches cancelled services, or are only streaming online.

On Friday, there were 5 confirmed cases in Ohio. Saturday morning, there were 13, and by 2pm on Saturday it had doubled to 26. I haven't watched any news today, so I don't know if it's gone up again, but it wouldn't surprise me.

My husband and I are staying close to home this weekend, instead of going out and about.

Jorainna, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  19. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

In Israel, 196 people have gotten the virus. None have died yet,

For all of that, the country is now on lock down. No stores (except pharmacies and supermarkets) or malls are allowed to be open. Restaurants are only allowed to sell take-away meals. Anybody who can work from home is doing so.

Interestingly enough, there does not seem to be a shortage of anything except hand-cleaning gel.

Marina is in a bit of a panic. Have you ever heard of foot and mouth disease? (I have not before today -- just hoof and mouth disease, which only farm animals get.) Anyhow, her 3-year-old was diagnosed with foot and mouth disease -- and the 12-year-old is now running a fever of 102.2. Marina is finding it impossible to sleep with the baby crying most of the night.

I told her that if she feels too tired to prepare meals, she should call Pizza Hut, a hamburger restaurant that we like, or a restaurant called Cafe Cafe and have them deliver the meals to her house. She can't afford this and, even if she could she does not have a credit card, but I gave her the details of mine and told her to feel free to use it. All three restaurants know me and I told her they are free to call me for authorization if they want.

Oh, all public transportation has been stopped and no one can have more than 2 people (including the driver) in his car.

20. jastwins

@Fillies Fan , Foot and mouth disease is most likely the coxsackievirus. It can easily be transmitted from touching hand or feet of the infected person. Hugging an infected person will cause it to spread. I am sorry that Marina's girls are sick. It is a miserable virus, but they should recover in a 7-10 days.
    My school is now closed for 2 weeks....County mandate. I just hope I will get paid and asked the payroll person for confirmation of this.
    The NY Archdiocese cancelled mass everywhere today but allowed people to enter a house of worship to pray. I don't ever remember this ever happening, but now it is.