Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
Slightly more than half of Israelis have received the first dose of the vaccine and, of those, 75% have gotten the second one.

This is rather remarkable when you consider:

1. Children under the age of 16 are not being vaccinated.
2. Pregnant women are only getting vaccinated in the second and third trimesters.
3. The Arab population (20% of the country) is very hesitant about getting the vaccine as are Ultra-Orthodox Jews (another 20%). Fortunately, but they are getting more receptive to it.

bugweena

Trader Group
I was able to get my first vaccine yesterday. Arm is a little sore but not as bad as a tetanus shot! :) 2nd one is scheduled. Hopefully all of you that want to get the vaccine will be able to get it soon!

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
Awesome news, @bugweena! I had a headache with my first shot and took a great nap one afternoon. My arm was slightly sore.
In 2 weeks, I get my second shot and hope I feel fine since I am volunteering that same day.

bugweena

Trader Group
@jastwins I am hoping the second one isn't bad. Mine was the Pfizer vaccine and I've heard the second one can affect you more than the first. Luckily both of mine scheduled for Friday so if the second one makes me feel bad I will take it easy.

My mom finally gets her first one on the 24th. She's had a hard time scheduling but not sure she was as persistent as she could have been. Hopefully even with the mask mandates being lifted many places people will continue to wear one.

jastwins

Trader Group
@bugweena Both my mom and sister had no reactions to the second Pfizer shots. After hearing from some friends of 2nd shot reactions, I am cautious and hope all goes well. My next shot is on the 19th and I am glad it is a Friday and I have Saturday and Sunday to recover.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
There is something worrying me -- and it should worry everyone else.

Israel and Jordan have roughly the same population (10 million). The two countries are neighbors and share the same weather. Israel has the highest rate of vaccinations in the world. Jordan is far down on the list.

What worries me? The fact that to date, 5988 people have died from coronavirus in Israel and 5,224 in Jordan. If the vaccine is doing its job, there should be far fewer deaths in Israel than in Jordan, but Jordan has less deaths.

We have to ask ourselves (and epidemiologists) why.

Cathy

Happy Birthday Cathy!!
There is something worrying me -- and it should worry everyone else.

Israel and Jordan have roughly the same population (10 million). The two countries are neighbors and share the same weather. Israel has the highest rate of vaccinations in the world. Jordan is far down on the list.

What worries me? The fact that to date, 5988 people have died from coronavirus in Israel and 5,224 in Jordan. If the vaccine is doing its job, there should be far fewer deaths in Israel than in Jordan, but Jordan has less deaths.

We have to ask ourselves (and epidemiologists) why.
that is odd...does Jordan have access to the vaccine as much as Israel does?

mtka

Trader Group
Finally found some good donuts at Kroger, the first time since the pandemic started. They used to have the pick and choose your own but now they just mix random donuts in a box. Since we only like one kind there, we haven't gotten them for a year. They better be pretty tasty tomorrow morning. It was a random thing too, because I look every time I am there. It was a good thing because Walmart only had glazed and filled donuts today. The icer person must not have showed up for work, or they had a huge run on donuts this morning.

Gardencook

Trader Group
The latest victim of Covid for our city is Red Lobster. It closed its doors Saturday night without notice. That is in addition to our Golden Corral, Chili's and Chipotle Grill which also ended up closing doors due to the pandemic. I can't remember if Popeye's closed before or after the pandemic hit. Who knows how many smaller, locally-owned restaurants have bitten the dust that we don't know about? :(

I've got Red Lobster cards that we'll have to use when traveling since we can't use them on this side of the state any longer. Bought them to enjoy a nice meal RIGHT before the pandemic hit. Just hope we can travel to a city that has one BEFORE the entire chain goes bankrupt. :oops:

A few of the fast food joints are beginning to open their dining rooms now. Red Robin had plexiglass between booths, but wasn't spacing everyone every other booth any longer and inside the grocery store at Starbucks we actually had a table to sit at while our drinks were prepared today! Some of the restrictions seem to be loosening here.

Last edited:

jastwins

Trader Group
Our governor, recently under fire for his behavior, was accused of misreporting nursing home deaths during the pandemic. It seemed that the hospitals made more money if the death was reported as a covid related death and not a true cause of death. My friends daughter is a medical biller and confirmed this. I know NY numbers were high, but were they accurate, probably not.. Maybe that is why the numbers are lower in Jordan than Isreal...are they really reporting every death accurately. In the meantime, restrictions are slowly easing here, but nowhere near normal. Restaurant capacities are increasing and wedding halls can have up to 150 people. Hopefully, people will continue to get the vaccine. Who knows how long it will take until we do not have to wear a mask again. My second shot is this Friday and I will be volunteering again afterwards.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all !

Gardencook

Trader Group
Our governor, recently under fire for his behavior, was accused of misreporting nursing home deaths during the pandemic. It seemed that the hospitals made more money if the death was reported as a covid related death and not a true cause of death. My friends daughter is a medical biller and confirmed this. I know NY numbers were high, but were they accurate, probably not..
We've been hearing rumors of this for quite a while now -- that doctors/hospitals were paid more for COVID cases and therefore were misreporting diagnoses for the extra money -- the law of unintended consequences.

The fact that made us highly suspicious is that supposedly flu cases have dropped by nearly 100 percent the past two winters. We just couldn't believe that flu took a holiday simply because a pandemic was underway and that has made us highly suspicious of the actual statistics.

However, people are so quick to judge and attack these days, that anyone who pointed that out was quickly labeled an "anti-masker Covid denier" It is a sad day when people can't have a civil conversation about observations without name-calling. I know there is "something out-there." We knew a man who just died of "Covid" in Mississippi a few weeks ago and we've been wearing masks and taking precautions from the very start. Just wish the nation could have an open discussion on things these days without individuals being accused of jumping into one ditch or the other. I miss the days when most people were somewhere on the middle-road or at least dared to admit they were.

We're even highly suspicious of when this actually hit the nation. The last Thanksgiving before my mother's death, we traveled to Washington and I spent most of the time in the hotel with one of the worst bouts of "something" I've ever encountered. I couldn't go anywhere near my mother for most of the time for fear of exposing her. As we've heard people recount the symptoms they've suffered from Covid, we can't help but notice how similar it seems to the "junk" I had -- a full year or more before Covid supposedly arrived here.

Perhaps it was just a very bad strain of the flu. That is what we explained it away as at the time, but it does make you wonder if it was an earlier mutation of what the nation is fighting now.

Last edited:

jastwins

Trader Group
@Gardencook. I agree with you that the virus was here long before it was reported that we were in a pandemic. My coworker was sick in December of 2019, never diagnosed and was told after a blood test in April of 2020 that she had antibodies to the virus. This means we were all exposed at one point and never caught it. How ironic is it that it is a year later and we are still wearing masks and must do so even when we are vaccinated.

D3 works for her college and is able to get the vaccine but needs to provide paperwork when she signs up for an appointment. The university will give her the note she needs. I am taking D1 to get vaccinated on the 27th of March and her second shot will be 3 weeks later. D1 also has a note from her employer so she can receive the shot even though she is 22 years old. I hope D2 can get a shot and we will find a way to get it if her college does not provide one.
We have not encountered anyone resisting wearing a mask. The businesses and our school have strict mask policies that are enforced. There are several people that do not want the vaccine and I am hoping that they do not get sick.

jastwins

Trader Group
Just received my second shot today at my school. Things are running very efficiently and I will be volunteering later.

jastwins

Trader Group
Now that I have my second shot, I am awaiting news on D3, who is not feeling well and is in quarantine at her school. Her boyfriend was exposed by an infected track teammate and was placed in quarantine 2 days earlier however, he is doing well and has not test positive yet.

mtka

Trader Group
I got my first dose yesterday at the local Kroger store pharmacy. They do 1 shot every 15 minutes so there is only 1 waiting to get a shot and 1 waiting the 15 minutes after. I had no problems scheduling it and could have done it last week had I not just had a tetanus shot. The big vaccination site in Lexington is now open for everyone over 16 just to get enough people in to keep the staff they have.

On the flip side, I think people forgot how to drive with other traffic while they stayed safe at home. I was glad to get home in one piece. Horns were honking all over with people just cutting people off., running red lights, it was crazy. It is getting crowded on the roads and in the stores. I know it's spring fever and people are tired off staying home.

jastwins

Trader Group
As of yesterday, all three of my girls have received their first vaccination dose. D2 and D3 received it at their respective schools. D2 was volunteering at a site and D3 works for her school and was provided a shot. Just glad d2 got one since she plans on going to Miami on her short spring break. Good luck with all the rioters and I hope she does not get sick.
Yesterday was the most convoluted drive to get d1 to her shot. I knew the location of the shot and it was a satellite college campus in Southampton that you had to cross railroad tracks to access. We were directed by a National guardsman to a second entrance to show our paperwork that was in order and we were early for the appointment. The National guardsman told us to follow the roadway and stay within the traffic cones. AFter driving about a mile and passing hundreds of cones, we arrived at the place where we started.. :pOnly then, we were motioned to come across 2 lanes into a parking lot where the building for vaccinations was located. Literally, when we first crossed the train tracks, had we made a left ,we would have been there 5 mins earlier. LOL I love the parallel of the red/orange cones and red tape. Bureaucracy at it's finest.
Once inside, D1 answered her questions, showed her license, proof of her eligibility from her job and showed her paycheck direct deposit as well. She went right up and received her Pfizer shot with no issues. We go back to do it all again on April 18th for her second dose.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
Ever since my daughter found out that she is pregnant she has been afraid to go out of her house except for visits to her doctor and to get the corona vaccine. She got the first dose two weeks ago and will get the second one next week. Today, she was at my house (she figures that as I had the second shot about a month ago it was safe for her to visit) she officially warned me that 11 days after she gets that final dose I am taking her to a shopping center to buy her maternity clothes.

Meanwhile, she and her husband have decided to move to a larger house, near the one they are currently renting. They have been talking about it for several months, but as it cost $1 million, he was hesitant. Unfortunately for them, the owner has since raised the price a bit, but hesitation can cost money.

Think about this -- they can afford a million dollar house but she still needs daddy to buy her clothing! Worse than that, I am stupid enough not only to agree but am looking forward to it.