Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
Crankie tested negative and will go back to his doctor for clearance to go back to work. I went to the doctor on Thursday and after checking things out, he told me it will be a long recovery, maybe months. I am out of breath with physical activity and other daily activity. If I have to bend down to get something out of a lower cabinet, I can barely breathe. Each day, I try to do some kind of physical activity to regain my strength. After having a mild case of covid, I am surprised I still do not feel ok one month later. Looks like I will just take things one day at a time.
My sister had her second shot and has had no side effects. I will wait a few months before I think of getting a shot. I just want to feel better before I take the vaccine.

bugweena

Trader Group
@jastwins Sorry you are still feeling the effects. I have heard about what people are calling "long-haul" effects of COVID. I am hoping with new efforts for distribution and another vaccine option on the horizon that all of us that want to take the vaccine will have the opportunity sooner rather than later.

Dengineer

Trader Group
I've heard this same story from several people who've already had Covid. One friend was out of work for a couple of weeks, and when she tried to come back last week, she made it about an hour before she had to go home again. However, another coworker only knew that she was positive because they tested her before a planned surgery at Christmas. I don't like the uncertainty--maybe I'll get it and die, or maybe I'll be hospitalized, or maybe it will be like the sniffles, or maybe I won't even know I have it.

bugweena

Trader Group
@Dengineer It is very unpredictable between individuals from what I have seen. My nephew had it mildly but my MIL (70+) who lives in their household tested negative. My co-worker had it--she helps care for her grandfather who was also positive as was his home health caregiver. Everyone who had been around him was positive but everyone recovered with only mild symptoms --including the grandfather (80+). I don't know where I will fall in the groups to get the vaccine, most likely the last group. I only hope that the vaccine is available for everyone that wants to get it within the next few months. The number of lives lost to this virus is staggering when you stop and think about it.

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
I don't like the uncertainty--maybe I'll get it and die, or maybe I'll be hospitalized, or maybe it will be like the sniffles, or maybe I won't even know I have it.

We accept those possibilities every day of our lives -- most usually not in connection with corona.

When you get into your car to drive to the supermarket, you face the following possibilities:

1. You may have no accident at all.
2. If you do, you might be killed.
3. If you are not killed, you might wind up in the hospital.
4. You might suffer nothing more than a slight bump on your head.
5. That bump may be so small that you don't even know that you have it.

My house is on the Israeli-Lebanese border. For 34 days Hezbollah shot rockets and missiles at me. I wasn't killed. There were no direct hits on my house. Twice, rockets landed close enough to shatter windows in my living room. In both cases, I was in an adjacent room and untouched by the flying glass.

We take all reasonable precautions possible (for example, I have had both corona shots and wear a mask anytime I am near another person), but we accept the fact that no matter what we do we cannot be 100% certain of the results. Our choice is to realize this and make peace with that fact or to make ourselves miserable by worrying about it day and night.

Last edited:

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
Today, Maccabi -- one of Israel's four HMOs -- announced that only 0.06% of those who have gotten both of the Pfizer vaccine shots have gotten the virus, and none of them become seriously ill.

Israel, which has now lowered the age for getting the vaccine to 16, has also seen that its effectiveness increases as the time after getting the second shot does.

Among the 254 people who contracted the virus, 76 of them were infected after seven days, 44 on the eight day, and 24 on the ninth day. Between day 22 and 24 – when the tested period ended – no one was infected.

Unfortunately, the pandemic is still going strong here -- primarily because of resistance by three groups: the young, Arabs, and Ultra-Orthodox Jews. The Arabs are starting to come around but not the Ultra-Orthodox Jews, despite their religious leadership urging them to get inoculated.

The young are, perhaps, the most difficult group to convince. Two days ago, a woman in her 20s, came to my house. (No, it was NOT for the reason you think.) She was not wearing a mask and when I asked her she admitted that she has not been vaccinated and has no plans to get the injections.

I handed her a mask before letting her into my house (I put on one before I opened the door) and told her that this was not for my protection as I have already been fully vaccinated, but for hers -- as it is still unknown whether a vaccinated person can infect someone else.

I believe that she thinks I am crazy.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
For the life of me, I can't understand why Israeli (and perhaps foreign) newspapers keep telling us what percentage of people who were tested for corona proved positive.

The number means nothing. Let's say that there are two towns, Jonesville and Smithville. One of the children in Jonesville High School was infected with corona. Naturally, all the other students and faculty are going to want to get tested. In fact, the school might even require it.

There was no infection at Smithville High. However, four friends, all out of work because their businesses were shut by the lockdown, played poker two weeks ago and now all four have been infected. They probably caught it from each other but nobody knows which of the four was first.

The odds are that the people in Jonesville will show a very small infection rate. The great majority of the people at that school are perfectly healthy and the testing will show that. On the other hand, not very many people in Smithville will get test -- only the family and close friends of those four poker players.

Does that mean that the true infection rate in Smithville is lower than that in Jonesville? No, it only means that there was more panic (and hence more tests) then there was in Jonesville.

jastwins

Trader Group
In my county, they classified certain towns yellow, orange or red zones if your covid cases reach a certain level. While my town is neither of these levels, just in case they reach a yellow or orange, our school would be required to test 20 % of the school staff and students. This was strictly on a voluntary basis and and has been done twice with all negative results. So what happens—the people not tested are the ones getting sick or in quarantine!
A local newspaper reports the number of cases in my town and I can tell you that number is not accurate. Not sure it will ever be!

jastwins

Trader Group
Great news is that my mom was able to get her first covid shot today. The hospital where my sister works had shots scheduled for today and my sister knows the nurse running it. If there is a cancellation, the hospital will call her and she had an hour to get my mom there. Today’s snowy weather led to a cancellation and mom received her first shot. Mission accomplished!

jastwins

Trader Group
After viewing an email from a work colleague, I clicked on her link of available appointments for a covid vaccine. It took several tries, but D1 and I were able to get a Saturday appointment. The shots are administered at Stony Brook University Hospital and that is where my girls were born. If you are on a website and get kicked out, it means the appointments are filling up, so you just try again. While trying again, I chose an appointment that had alot of appointment times left and this lessens your chance of getting kicked off or having your time filled up too quickly. By the time I receive my vaccine, it will have been more than 90 since I had covid. Here's hoping I never get it again.

bugweena

Trader Group
Great news @jastwins. I am hoping to be eligible for group 3 in my state. It starts next week for pre-k thru high school but not until March 10 for those of us affiliated with universities. Since part of my job requires me to be on campus although I work in an administrative office where no one else is coming to work I made sure that the employee health people knew i was on campus via my boss. Also registered with the state. Hoping I can get in by mid March.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
Israel is getting vaccinated fast! Approximately 80% of those over age 60 have gotten one or both doses and the age for getting the vaccine has now been lowered to 16. Still, the pandemic is not over here but the lockdown is supposed to be relaxed to a great degree on Sunday.

In the meantime, a scientist/rabbi has warned that the vaccine causes infertility. It made quite a stir until it was revealed that not only has he no degree in science but the Israeli Rabbinute (a government organization responsible for certifying rabbis) does not consider him to be a rabbi at all.

This, however, is nothing compared to the story in Iran. One of the top ayatollahs there has issued a warning not to get close to anyone who has had the vaccine. Why? Because, he said, the vaccine turns people into homosexuals.

My gut feeling is that if anyone in the US comes out with an even nuttier announcement, he will be in California.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
Well, the lockdown was partially opened today but nobody, including the government, seems to know what we can and cannot do.

For a start, all those who got their second dose of vaccine over a week ago are supposed to get what is being called a "Green Passport", and those who don't have it are still on full lockdown, being allowed only to go to grocery stores, pharmacies, doctors, and a few other places. Those with it, can go almost everywhere but still cannot eat in restaurants. Each shop is required to check the passport before allowing anyone over the age of 16 to enter.

The passports are supposed to be issued by the Ministry of Health, but the Ministry has still not designed them, much less issued them. No problem, because you can go to the Ministry's website and download a temporary version. Wonderful -- except the Ministry's website went down shortly after the temporary ones became available. That was yesterday and the site is still offline.

I actually got my temporary one, as did Marina, before the website collapsed, and together with her two daughters, we went shopping. Polina (age 13) was chiefly interested in clothing. Olga, age 4, wanted a costume for Purim (think of it as a Jewish version of Halloween without trick or treating).

As the clothing and toy shops have been closed for about a month, and nobody knows if they will be allowed to remain open, all the malls were jam-packed and the traffic in every direction was very heavy. When we got to our favorite strip mall, nobody was checking to see if the customers had these passports.

Another rule is that no private car is allowed to have more than three people in it unless they live together -- and anyone in a car with more than one person has to wear a mask. Of course, as we were four people, and we don't live together, we were breaking the law. I wasn't overly concerned about that as we were only driving within Marina's city and I know from experience (we have had 3 previous lockdowns in the last year) that the police don't bother checking cars inside the city -- only between cities. Besides, if we were stopped I would simply say that we live together. The police would not have any way to check this.

However, where I live is near the Lebanese border and there is always high military traffic on the road. It is up to the Military Police to make certain that no soldiers are breaking the law. For all that, I was stopped by an MP on my way back from Marina's house. He told me that I was in violation of the law for not wearing a mask in the car.

He was very young and obviously very new. He was still a buck private who did not know his job at all. I informed him that the Military Police only have the right to stop civilian cars if they see soldiers in it or martial law has been declared (which was not the case here). He used his cell phone to call someone (I presume his sergeant) to see if I was telling the truth. He then told me that I was right -- but added that I should be wearing a mask and the regular police would give me a ticket if they caught me.

"I am alone in the car," I informed him. "Who do you think I can infect?"

That left him with a puzzled look on his face as I drove off.

mtka

Trader Group
My mom got her first dose today, after rescheduling quite a few times because of the weather. We could of got her in a few weeks ago if we drove up to the Horsepark, but it's a long drive to have to do twice. This weather has not be agreeable to the vaccine clinics.

jastwins

Trader Group
At 9:30 am this morning, I received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. It is wonderful to see a community come together with many volunteers from the school and town work with the medical staff and police force to help vaccinate our residents. It is a great day!!!

Cathy

Happy Birthday Cathy!!
I got my first dose yesterday ( a month earlier than I had originally qualified for.) It went very smoothly, no lines etc. As I was waiting for the 15 minutes to pass after the shot, I spoke with two others who were there and both of them told me they had grown children who were not going to get the vaccine! What is going on in these peoples' heads????

jastwins

Trader Group
We have had these discussions at work. In my lunch crew (5 of us), I was one of 2 who opted to receive the vaccine today. The other 3 ladies opted not to get a vaccine. It is their choice and I respect it and they respect my choice to get vaccinated. My friends are in their early fifties and one is in her mid thirties and they feel the vaccines are too new and want to wait it out. They are afraid it can cause problems in the future and I am banking on the vaccine not causing me any issues. My reasoning in getting the vaccine is that I do not want to get sick again and I will take whatever precautions I have to to make sure I do not get covid a second time. My daughters would get the vaccine and my husband does not. They are adults and can make their own choices.

This week, the governor of NY issued a mandate that if you did receive the vaccine, you are ordered to let your school know this. This mandate bothered some people, but I have no problem with the state knowing I received the covid vaccine.

Last edited:

jastwins

Trader Group
Update: Our Governor rescinded the executive order mandating schools to report a list of people who have had the Covid vaccine. It is now the responsibility of the county where you live to report who has had the vaccine.
We had 503 residents receive the vaccine yesterday! Our Island population is just over 2,400 so that is 20% that received the vaccine in one day. I am sure they will have more vaccines available in the future.

Last edited: