Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

On Friday, which is when Rosh HaShana begins, Israel will start a lockdown for three weeks (which is how long the holiday season lasts). Almost everything will be closed because of the sharp increase in the number of corona virus cases over the past few months (when the last lockdown ended).

I will not be allowed to go more than 500 meters from my house and even if was permitted, the only places which will be open are supermarkets, pharmacies, and health clinics. Meanwhile, Olga (the 4-year-old) has to go to Tiberias on Wednesday to be checked to see if her ears are okay after having had an infection in them. Marina and her husband have taken the day off from work to take Olga there, which is something they cannot afford to do, so I offered to take Marina and the two girls, thus allowing the father to work.

I will not, however, go inside the clinic with them in order to reduce my chances of meeting someone with the virus.

Instead, I will head to a nearby place where Polina (the 12-year-old) and I can have a snack and something to drink while Marina and Olga are inside.

After they finish, I will be taking them to a town called Rosh Pina, which is about half-way between Tiberius and their home. This will be the last time, until the lockdown is finished, that we will be able to go to a restaurant. Rosh Pina has some nice strip malls, so I will also be able to get some holiday gifts for the girls.

Meanwhile, my son was supposed to spend Friday night with me but this would be illegal, so I will not see him (or my daughter) for about a month.

2. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Meanwhile, my son was supposed to spend Friday night with me but this would be illegal, so I will not see him (or my daughter) for about a month.[/QUOTE]

You're a good friend Fillies Fan...take care of yourself~

3. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

As we were driving into the grocery store parking lot we noticed there was NO life in the Golden Corral parking lot -- which is right in front of the grocery store. It was finally allowed to re-open just a few weeks ago, with special precautions like customers wearing gloves in the buffet line.

I mentioned to DH that it looked like the restaurant was really struggling, however, as I said it I realized the restaurant looked entirely dark inside and immediately mentioned I hoped it hadn't closed.

DH drove over to the restaurant and just as we feared, there was a sign on the door saying it was PERMANENTLY closed. I'm afraid that will be one more of many other fatalities in this town -- and everywhere else -- due to COVID. We've already lost Tuesday Morning. :(

A few days ago when we drove past the place DH likes to get the oil changed we noticed it was completely dark inside with no cars and the parking lot was roped off.

DH drove around the block and in the back way to get a view of the place. Thankfully, they just decided to repave the parking lot. They had just sealed the cracks in preparation and had closed the shop while the work was being done.

It was up and running when we drove by yesterday -- which was a big relief!

We got a call from a credit union that we needed to sign a paper. We got to chatting with the representative about current events and he mentioned he's concerned about when his children will get back to school full time.

He said his elementary school children are back on a full schedule, but his middle school children are still stuck with online learning. He was confused by the logic since the children all live in the same house and will transmit anything to each other if they catch it anyway.

However, he knows his older children are falling behind and he's concerned about it. He said his son was done with his schoolwork within one hour that morning. His daughter is more studious, but still didn't have any schoolwork left after two hours. He said it isn't anything like the amount of learning they got when they were in the classroom.

4. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@Fillies Fan i want to wish you and your family ( that includes Marina’s family) Shana Tova. Happy New Year!
    Tomorrow, D 2 will be attending a Roshoshana celebration in NYC and we made challah bread for the first time.

5. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

It is Rosh Hashana now in Israel (remember, we are 7 hours ahead of EDT) and I am in my house, alone. My neighbor invited me to have dinner with her family, but I turned it down because two days ago I put myself in a somewhat risky situation vis-a-vis coronavirus and I don't want to risk the possibility of infecting them on the off-chance that I contracted it. (I have no symptoms, but it is still early.)

As I mentioned a couple of posts above this, I took Marina's family to Tiberias as the 4-year-old needed to be checked by a doctor there. The ride, itself, was not something that health authorities would recommend. There were four of us in the car for the one-hour drive, with the windows closed because it was very hot and we had the airconditioning on.

They had never been in Tiberias, which is far below sea-level, and did not realize how hot it is there. A little bit before we arrived I stopped at small shop and insisted on buying hats for the three of them to protect them from the sun. Marina thought I was being silly but I insisted and she gave in. After she got out of the car in Tiberias she was suddenly very happy that they were wearing hats.

I did not go into the clinic, but Polina (age 12) and I went to a place near the clinic to get soft drinks while Marina and Ogla were with the doctor. The shop was tiny and it was impossible to maintain social distancing, which added another risk factor, but we drank them outside.

Afterward, I drove them to a very special part of the city. It is a pedestrian street which starts at the Sea of Galilee and goes up to the center of the city. Both sides of the street have numerous shops (mostly for tourists) and the street is generally jammed. Not this time -- there are no tourists in Israel (indeed, the airport is almost closed) and we had the street to ourselves. There are numerous restaurants in the area but only two were open -- one a very cheap place with few offerings and the other a very expensive one with a much larger choice of meals. Naturally, Marina chose the better restaurant and became very embarrassed when she saw the bill ($222) at the end of the meal. (Polina and Marina both had steaks, which neither of them could finish, I had lamp kebab, and Olga only had french fries.)

Eating at a restaurant increased our risk of being exposed to the virus, and, in fact, all restaurants are closed in Israel starting now and lasting until at least Oct 11. However, we sat at an outside table and were the only customers, so I didn't consider it too dangerous.

When we got back to her own city, Marina wanted to go to a supermarket and I wanted to buy 4 red pillowcases to replace the ones that the woman who cleans my house had accidentally thrown out. I went to several shops but could not find any red ones -- every other color, yes, but not red.

That's when Olga spotted a toy monkey that she insisted that she had to have. That meant one more store I had to go into. Ah, well, at least if I get the coronavirus, at my age and in my physical condition, I have a very good chance of kicking the bucket so the cost of the dinner won't matter.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  6. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

We have been in school for 5 weeks and so far, things are going well. It has taken a bit of getting used to with moved rooms and adjusting to the new normal.
    The biggest annoyance was losing our teacher's room since the space was needed for student services. I am all for giving up the space to students, but the school offered no alternative for teachers and aides to get a break. Also in this location are the 2 bathrooms that only the teachers used and now we do not have access to them everyday. It was not handled at all, just changed and scrambling to find a bathroom when the room is in use is challenging. There are single bathrooms in the hallways that can also be used by students and there are larger, 3 stall bathrooms on higher floors.
    There are no new covid cases on my Island, but at the school we have had the regular colds, strep throat and stomach bug. Luckily, I have not caught anything. If you have a fever, you are sent home and the parents have to either keep the kid home or get a covid test (and be negative) plus be fever free to go back to school. My daughter had a fever and went to get a covid test that turned out to be negative. She had no other symptoms, so I was not concerned.
    In New York state, there are spikes in certains areas and the governor is imposing restrictions on businesses and asking people to stay indoors. Of course, the residents are complaining, but would you rather be sick or safe? If nowhere else in the state has a 6% rise in cases then I would follow the governor's rules and have the infection rate go down. The only reason the numbers went up is because these towns did not follow protocol.

Fillies Fan likes this.