Thoughts on Covid 19 aka Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Mar 9, 2020.

1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

When this first was on the news, I thought it was way overhyped. Now that they have confirmed cases on Long Island, I am wondering how much further will it go! They may close my daughter’s college since the closed another a few miles away.
    What are your thoughts on this? Are you avoid gatherings or going about your daily routines? I am living my life as I normally but do take precautions like washing my hands (working in a school do it is a necessity).
    I was sad to see price gouging on health care items and people trying to profit from others’ fears. Looking forward to hearing your comments.

2. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

It would have impacted me badly in past years when I did a lot of traveling. Oddly enough, I would not have been as concerned about actually catching it as I would have about being forced into isolation for 14 days. This year, because of the operations I had last year (which are still healing) and a possible additional one that I may have in July, I am not doing any traveling outside of Israel.

I haven't seen any price gouging here and, so far, only one shortage -- neither the supermarket I went to nor the pharmacy next to it had any hand-cleaning gel. In both cases, they told me that people wiped out their entire supplies. Personally, it doesn't bother me but Marina is a germophobe and wanted me to pick some up for her.

Meanwhile, her daughter has contracted mononucleosis -- the 3-year-old! I can't figure out who she has been making out with.

3. jastwins

@Fillies Fan Mono can be transmitted by using a utensil from an infected person or drinking from a cup or water bottle used by a person with the disease. AS a person who had this in college, I know the recovery takes a long time and rest is important. Marina should use either disposable utensils and paper plates so the rest of the family do not get mononucleosis.

Many people are starting to take the coronavirus more seriously and we are even having meetings at our school about it. Our town wants to have a contingency plan in place and there is an assembly about it later today. At the stock exchange, they have banned visitors from the trading floor and are taking precautions against having the traders get sick. Panicked investors' trading shut down trading on the exchange floor for almost an hour. People need to stay calm and just be cautious about their health and hygiene.

4. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

As I'm typing this, there are no known cases in Ohio. I haven't seen empty store shelves or any price gouging yet. I have noticed more displays of cleaning products and hand sanitizer at most stores...even at the hardware store.

My husband and I have talked about it a lot. We don't travel outside of the country, but we do have a short trip planned to another city in Ohio next month. I'll probably take Lysol with me, and spray the surfaces in the room, just to be on the safe side.

Other than that, I did stock up on things to make meals for two weeks, just in case of a quarantine. Yesterday, I called our pharmacy and had them refill my husband's blood pressure meds a few weeks early, so we'll be sure to have them on hand.

At first, I thought this was going to be one of those things that we were told about, but never panned out to be anything that would cause us to worry. It doesn't seem to be working out that way.

busyasabeecrg, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  5. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

The coronavirus is nothing new ... SARS was a coronavirus back in 2000. It's like the flu in the way that there are many strains. There was a can of Lysol in a break room from 2016 that even listed on it, as it was one of the germs it could kill. Hand sanitizer will not kill it unless the alcohol content is really high like 70% or more. It is not truly "airborne" unless someone coughs or sneezes directly on you, a face mask will not help.

I agree with @jastwins that, "People need to stay calm and just be cautious about their health and hygiene." Don't touch your face. Wash your hands often.

6. jastwins

Just in the last 2 days, there have been 4 meetings to inform school personnel and students about the coronavirus and how not to spread germs. Due to scheduling conflicts and assignments, I missed all of them. As a precaution, teachers have been trained for online teaching in case it comes to that. A scheduled trip to NYC was a go as of yesterday, was cancelled this morning. The seniors planned trip may be changed and they are trying to see if they can get a refund. I feel they are acting out of fear, but we have to follow their decisions of the leaders of the district.
    D3's school is still open, but 2 colleges in her county are closed. Since students are on break starting this Friday, I believe her school will stay open for the rest of this week.
    I have noticed my emails are addressing the Covid 19 virus. CVS is waiving fees for medication delivery and urging people to stock up on medications. BestBuy is offering free change of appointment times for geek squad and explained how they were cleaning stores for people's safety. Petco sent an email to stay home and stay cozy and shop online for your pet needs.
    This leads me to think it will get worse before it gets better. I hope it is over soon.

busyasabeecrg and Jorainna like this.
  7. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

The media is fueling the frenzy.
    Hand sanitizer is hard to find. I did buy toilet paper for my mother yesterday because she has 1 roll left & I was concerned when she ran out I would not be able to find it for her.

8. Linda_in_FL

Linda_in_FL Cancer Research Warrior! Trader Group

9. jastwins

busyasabeecrg and Jorainna like this.
  10. jastwins

Well, the governor of NY is not named Bob, so he is cancelling classes this week at state and city colleges. Then classes will be held online for the rest of the semester. D1 & D3 attend NY S colleges so I now will have to move them back home. :( I am just waiting for my girls to call me so I can finalize my plans.

11. Linda_in_FL

Lots of places cancelling college classes. Lots of entertainment, sports events and large meetings also cancelled. We are looking at a different way of life till things settle down. I have EVERYONE who is exposed to this virus in my prayers. I HOPE that someone finds a way to control or prevent it soon!!!!!!!!!!

Linda

12. jastwins

D2’s college is closed and will have online classes the rest of the semester. We will wait until tomorrow to find out what she needs to do since she is in Brooklyn. NY for this semester and her school in in Worcester, MA.
    I picked up D3 tonight along with all her stuff and she will do online classes for the remainder of the school semester.
    On Friday I get to pick up D1 in New Paltz NY and move her out and back home. Never did I think when I woke up today that all this would happen. There are no cases at the schools but when the Governor declares a state of emergency, the colleges reacted.

13. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

If people would just use the brains they were born with it would make a huge difference. Just about three weeks ago we were in Boise. At a grocery store restroom an employee was exiting a stall as I was entering. I didn't bother to look at her name tag, because I didn't know there was a problem. However, the woman exited the restroom WITHOUT washing her hands!!! How many times do people have to be told? :mad:

Not that young people are excused, but this was a middle-aged woman who CERTAINLY should have known better.

I did report the incident at the customer service desk, however, the gal I spoke with was young and I could tell she didn't think it was that big a deal -- even though I reiterated that lack of hand washing and groceries DO NOT mix.

I thought it was important enough that I filled out a receipt survey explaining the incident. The survey asked asked if I wanted to be contacted by the store. I figured that way not only corporate headquarters would be aware, but store management would also see it.

I didn't believe that this particular store was "less clean" than others, but reports of the Coronavirus taking off were just beginning at the time and colds and flu are always a huge concern this time of year. I explained that on the survey. I said it would be a good time for stores to provide additional hygiene training to employees. It seems like constant NAGGING is the only thing that might get through to some employees.

Don't know that I've EVER gotten such a quick response. Less than an hour later I had a store manager on the phone and she hadn't heard anything about the incident from the customer service desk, even though a day or two had passed since I'd reported it. Hopefully the store (and corporation) took quick action.

Personally, I haven't been out to see if you must fight for toilet tissue or sanitizing products locally. I've been self-quarantining for nearly two weeks now.

I started feeling like I was coming down with something a week ago last Thursday evening and haven't been out of the house since.

Still don't know what I've got, but at least I'm not spreading it to others -- although DH throat is feeling a bit funny tonight. :(

I did check the Internet for Coronavirus, Strep and Mono symptoms -- even though I didn't believe I had them -- and confirmed that my symptoms didn't fit any of the conditions, so I think it is just a long-lived virus that I WISH would soon go away. I think it is almost gone, but then I've thought that at various times the past several day, only to feel worse again.

Thankfully, due to couponing we don't get stuck panic-buying when things like this arise. We buy things like toilet paper and cleaning products when we get them cheap with sales and coupons -- regardless of whether we're out or not. If you buy one item one week and one or two another week when they are really cheap, you're pretty confident you'll have whatever you need if you can't get out of the house for a while -- and you don't have to hoard to do it.

If I can just survive DH's cooking for a few more days ... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  14. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

My sister works at a hospital near us. She told me yesterday that they have had to lock up the masks in their supply department and people have to sign them out. This is because employees were stealing cases of them, and selling them on Ebay. Really??

She also has part-time jobs, ushering at two local arenas. She found out yesterday that all of her shifts for the next 3 weeks are cancelled. Either they aren't allowing spectators in the arena (basketball tournaments) or the event has been cancelled completely. She depends on this income to pay her bills.

Without anyone in my immediate family testing positive, this virus has impacted my family.

15. jastwins

@XUfan many people will feel the economic impact of this for some time. At D3 ‘s school last night several cafeteria workers are out of work until August. The are employed by am outside company and their services are no longer needed. Very sad situation.
    The school is not Closed but all classes are going online. So no refund on food and room and board but D3 asked to come home I went and got her.

Fillies Fan likes this.
  16. Linda_in_FL

Jasmine - at least your daughters are in driving distance, although MA is not too close to you. We have families here in FL with kids in MA, NY, D.C., VA. How will those kids get home w. the problems on the airlines? And I think about many foreign students who are in our U.S. colleges - What will happen to those students who live in dorms??

This is a real catastrophe for the nation and jobs for people who serve our schools, and the arenas that will close and many other places. I suspect that people will refrain from too much shopping in malls also and order more online when they can

God Bless everyone at a time like this.

Linda

17. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

@XUfan ... I work full time at an arena/convention center/opera house and the loss of events will trickle down to loss of revenue affecting bonuses, raises and on a larger scale the city's economy. A big worldwide convention already cancelled and will do a virtual presentation. We host the high school basketballs state tournaments and so far they are still going on ... today is several of the girl's games which traditionally have low attendance. We will see what happens next week for the boys' tournaments and upcoming concerts.

The university here also has gone to on-line. Nothing has been said about the county schools. Our governor is to speak this Saturday.

Fillies Fan, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  18. Fillies Fan

@Linda_in_FL, I would suggest that they take trains as far south as they run and then get on busses. My son was in Chicago shortly after 9/11 and got to my parents' home in Margate by bus. (Actually, he got to Fort Lauderdale and they picked him up there.)

19. Linda_in_FL

FilliesFan

They have A LOT of things to bring HOME if they stay for a while - Clothing Books etc etc etc etc. Unless they ship LOTS and LOTS of boxes that wont work either. What about the students from abroad???
    How are you? How is everything in Israel doing???

xxxxxxxxxx
    Linda

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    jastwins likes this.
  20. Fillies Fan

Linda, most of the things they have can remain in their dorm rooms until they return. The students from abroad are a different situation. In many cases there are no flights to their home countries.

Israel, so far, has identified 100 cases of the virus (only one person has died). Basically, the country is on lock down (if you can get on a flight to Tel Aviv, you will not be allowed into the country unless you can prove that you have a place where you can self-isolate for 14 days, and hotel rooms are not considered adequate.)

In about 30 minutes, Bibi is going to make an announcement and it is expected that he will announce that all schools and kindergartens will be closed until after Passover.

Linda_in_FL, Jorainna and jastwins like this.