Things to do with refrigerated/frozen biscuits and stuff

F

flash

It's the season for sales and stockups on Pillsbury biscuits, crescents, bread dough...and if you don't want to eat that many rolls, or want to freeze it and disguise it later on...how about some recipes?

Easy Vegetable Squares

2 8-ounce packages refrigerated crescent rolls (16 rolls)
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup mayonnaise OR salad dressing
1 tsp dried dillweed
1 tsp buttermilk salad dressing mix (1/4 of a 0.4 oz package)
3 cups desired toppings (see below)
1 cup shredded cheddar, mozzarella, OR Monterey Jack cheese

For crust, unroll crescent rolls and pat into a 15 ½ x 10 ½ x 2-inch baking pan. Bake according to package directions. Cool.

Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl stir together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, dillweed, and salad dressing mix. Spread evening over cooled crust. Sprinkle with desired toppings, then the shredded cheese.

Toppings options: finely chopped broccoli, cauliflower OR green pepper, seeded and chopped tomato; thinly sliced green onion, black olives, OR celery, OR shredded carrots…

Last edited by a moderator:
F

flash

Lemon Sticky Pecan Rolls

1/2 cups sugar
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
¼ cup margarine or butter
¼ cup Lemon Juice from concentrate
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup chopped pecans
2 8-ounce packages refrigerated crescent rolls

Preheat oven to 375. In small saucepan, combine sugars, margarine, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute. Reserving ¼ cup, pour remaining lemon juice mixture into 9-inch round layer cake pan. Sprinkle with nuts. Separate rolls into 8 rectangles; spread with reserved lemon mixture. Roll up jellyroll fashion, beginning with short side; seal edges. Cut in half. Place rolls, cut-side down, in prepared pan. Bake 30 – 35 minutes or until dark golden brown. Loosen sides. Immediately turn onto serving plate; do not remove pan. Let stand 5 minutes; remove pan. Serve warm.

F

flash

Florentine Crescents

1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
½ pound Velveeta cubed, or equivalent
¼ cup dry bread crumbs
3 crisply cooked bacon slices, crumbed
2 8-ounce cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls

In 2 quart saucepan, combined spinach, cheese, crumbs, and bacon. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Unroll dough, separate into 16 triangles. Cut each in half lengthwise, forming 32 triangles. Spread each triangle with rounded teaspoonful spinach mixture. Roll up, starting at wide end. Place on greased cookie sheet. Brush dough with beaten egg, if desired. Bake at 375, 11 – 13 minutes or until golden brown.

F

flash

Quick Sticky Buns

3 tbsp packed brown sugar, divided
¼ cup light or dark corn syrup
¼ cup coarsely chopped pecans
2 tbsp softened margarine, divided
1 can (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. In small bowl combine 2 tbsp of the brown sugar, the corn syrup, pecans, and 1 tbsp of the margarine. Spoon about 2 tsp mixture into each of 9 muffin pan cups. Unroll entire crescent roll dough; pinch seams together to form 1 rectangle. Combine remaining 1 tbsp. brown sugar and the cinnamon. Spread dough with remaining 1 tbsp margarine; sprinkle with cinnamon mixture. Roll up from short end. Cut into 9 slices. Place one slice in each prepared muffin pan cup. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately invert pan onto cookie sheet or tray; cool 10 minutes.

F

flash

These Grands recipes are in store handouts right now...

Grands Taco Melts

1 package (1.25 oz) Old El Paso® taco seasoning mix
2/3 cup water
1 ½ cups Old El Paso® Thick 'n Chunky salsa
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef, cooked, drained
1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® refrigerated biscuits (any variety)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend (4 oz)
1 cup sour cream, if desired

Heat oven to 375ºF.
In medium saucepan, cook taco seasoning mix, water, 1/2 cup of the salsa and cooked ground beef until thickened. Press each biscuit into 6-inch round. Fill each with taco mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese. Fold dough over filling and press to seal. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake 9 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with remaining salsa, cheese and sour cream.

Grands!® Pizzas

1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® refrigerated biscuits (any variety)
1 cup pizza sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
½ package (3.5-oz size) sliced pepperoni

Heat oven to 375°F. Press each biscuit into 6-inch round. Place on 2 large or 3 small greased cookie sheets. Top each biscuit with pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until bottoms are deep golden brown and cheese is bubbly

Veggie’s Lovers: Omit pepperoni. Cook chopped onions, sliced mushrooms and sliced red bell pepper in 1 tablespoon olive oil about 5 minutes or until limp. Top each biscuit with pizza sauce, cheese and veggie mixture.

Tropical: Omit pizza sauce and pepperoni; increase cheese to 2 cups. Top each biscuit with cheese, canned pineapple bits, diced green bell pepper and sliced Canadian-style bacon or ham.

C

catinhat

Roll up hotdogs and a slice of cheese in the cresent rolls and bake.

You could also do bacon, ham, turkey, etc.

H

hotcouponmama

Use ground beef that you flavor (and you could do diced up veggies), cook it all the way though, then smash the dough flat, fill the center with the cook beef (guess you could do any type of meat), then fold over abd bake - kind of like a mini-calzone. Or you could do it flat, spread it around to almost the edge, then lay another flattened piece of dough over it, then fork it shut all the way around so that it looks like an uncrustable, and then bake it off as well.

P

pedspeech

My favorite for crescent rolls: cook diced chicken breasts and onion until done and add a block of cream cheese. After it melts, unroll the crescent rolls and add the chicken/cheese, fold over and pinch closed (you are left with a triangle). Bake until done. These are delicious!

A

angielee

Anyone use canned biscuits for a potpie crust?

I have everything I need to bake a chicken pot pie but no pie crust. I have about 10 frozen canned biscuits. Can I use one to make a pie shell for potpie?

S

scswan

Re: Anyone use canned biscuits for a potpie crust?

I've used canned crescents before for this recipe but not biscuits. i think it would work as long as it is on top of the filling and not underneath since it can't cook there.

Kristen.C

Trader Group

I use canned biscuits on top of my pot pies. If they are the thick "Grands" kind you will want to slice them in half. I usually just lay them on top of the casserole dish covering the casserole and then bake until they are done- they will usually take about the same amount of time as when they are baking alone.

ETA: Thaw the biscuits before you add them to the top- I don't know how well they'd work cooking immediately from a frozen state.

A

angielee

Ok I was thinking of just squishing them together to form a crust....You just lay them on top after you slice them?

H

hopeky94

Question: How do you prepare the canned biscuits, etc. after being frozen??

During the awesome sales this past winter, I bought a bunch of canned biscuits, sweet rolls, etc. and froze them. I don't bake much, but my mom does. But every can of biscuits she's cooked so far have come out odd... they don't fully rise, sort of glossy/smooth on the outside, and they have a heavy texture to them. It's almost like they're not fully done, but if they were cooked any longer, they'd be burnt! She said she fully thaws them in the fridge before baking. (She's only tried the "regular" size biscuits so far, no Grands, cresents, etc.)

Are these just not going to rise/fluff as well as ones that were never frozen, or are we doing something wrong? She prefers to use them as-is, instead of making other things out of them, as my dad isn't big on "bready" type dishes (like pizza, calzones, etc). So even if there's something I could try adding to these to make them come out better, I'm game for that! :)

TIA for any and all help!!!

M

mama22qts

I have used the biscuits before, with good results. I'd advise rolling them out, and making sure that you pinch the edges closed so that the filling stays underneath and doesn't bubble to the top of the biscuits.

Are you using the flaky ones, butter or homestyle? It will make a difference in how your crust turns out.

crazybmb

Trader Group
I'd love to stock-up on these kind of things but I stopped because they always come out freezer burned, they taste yucky or don't cook right.
Any sugestions?????

T

TRACYB

I did not know you could freeze them....lol...but I have left them in my fridge for ever and then baked them and they was still good.

C

Cynthiabutterfly

DH cut the Grands biscuits into quarters (wedges) deep-fried them, and dredged them with cinnamon sugar. They were delicious!

M

MrsPinecone

DH cut the Grands biscuits into quarters (wedges) deep-fried them, and dredged them with cinnamon sugar. They were delicious!

My mom used to take canned biscuits, flatten them out a bit, put a spoonful of jelly in the middle, fold over (pinch TIGHTLY) and deep fry. Shake in a bag full of powdered sugar and voila-- jelly doughnuts!