greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
From our recent chat:

I cut each sprout in half and then red grapes in Half

Spread on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar glaze salt and pepper

Bake at like 350 for 30-45 minutes until sprouts are tender crisp and a little caramelized

In my oven as I type! @queenofthehivemomof5

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
LOL not much of a recipe is it. It is more like...cut stuff up and toss it together and throw it in the oven. But it is one of our favorite ways to cook Brussels Sprouts..

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
We had roasted Brussels sprouts for the first time on TG and they were fantastic but they had bacon and onion - not sure how much I'd love them without those. Of all of us it was only me and oldest daughter that liked them and I'm not sure she liked them as much as I did.

They were, however, a PITB to prepare! It took me 40 minutes to trim and slice 2 pounds of them. I think they are usually in better shape than these were - daughter got them at Sam's and I think they were pretty picked over. I'd like to try them again to see if they are quicker to prepare.

Here's the recipe we had.

[h=1]Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Bacon[/h]Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Bacon | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo
Here’s what to gather to make a side dish that feeds 4-6 people:
· 1½ pounds Brussels sprouts
· 2-3 tablespoons melted ghee or fat of choice
· Kosher salt and pepper
· 4 bacon slices, diced
· Aged balsamic vinegar

Here’s what to do:
Preheat oven to 400. Trim ends and any old outer leaves from sprouts. Cut in half and toss with melted fat of choice, salt, and pepper.

Place on a foil lined baking sheet, be sure to keep in one layer. Sprinkle bacon over and bake about 30 to 35 minutes. Set timer for 10 minute intervals to regularly rotate and flip. Check for seasoning and drizzle some of the aged balsamic vinegar on the finished dish.
Bonus: The same technique for roasting these Brussels sprouts also works with cauliflower and broccoli!

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
The verdict is in: I LOVE THEM! DD9 loved the Sprouts, but not the grapes. DH & DS12 wouldn't try them. I loved the grapes the best. So delicious. I am making again for certain!
[MENTION=207859]3timesoccermom[/MENTION] - the BS (ROFL at my abbreviation) I bought were large and needed minimal cutting and trimming versus the tiny ones I got last time that were a pain to trim and clean.....

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
p.S. DD likes Brussels Sprouts raw. Like after-school snack, plain, not even Ranch dressing. LOL

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
I am glad you liked them [MENTION=5150]greenfrog57[/MENTION]. This is one of the best ways we eat Brussels Sprouts. Another way is to simmer them in chicken or vegetable broth with a tad of butter. Not a lot just enough to braise them and make them tender.

For Thanksgiving my MIL made them with a grainy mustard. They were OK. But I think they needed a touch of sweetness to counter balance the tart from the mustard and bitterneness of the sprouts.

@3timessoccermom - um yeah bacon and onion. OK that sounds good. Going to try that recipe really soon!