The price of headstones

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
I just did an internet search and found that flat headstones for graves in the US cost up to $1000. A vertical headstone can cost up to $10,000.

In Israel, Social Security will pay for the first 50,000 shekels ($13,650) for a headstone. Anything beyond that, you pay. My daughter went to buy a headstone for my ex and found none that were available for less than 50,000 shekels. Gee -- what a surprise.
rolleyes.gif
Nobody has a motive to spend less, so the people who make these stones offer nothing at a lower price.

My daughter selected a flat headstone, but wanted a hole put in it in which we could place a plant. That cost an extra 4,000 shekels ($1100). She agreed to pay for it, figuring that she could split the price with my son. I told her that I will pay. The extra 4000 shekels does not bother me but the highly inflated prices of headstones does. After all, it is not really a munificent Social Security who is forking out that 50,000 shekels -- it is the taxpayers (including me and my children) who have to keep the ghouls who make these stones wealthy.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Actually, if you can get a flat headstone for $1,ooo you've bought the bare minimum here @Fillies Fan -- and I suspect there are a LOT more expensie places to be buried than Idaho.

We just went through it with a "challenging" BIL a couple years ago. The outrageous cost of funerals is why so many are opting for cremation -- and even that isn't cheap.

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
In general, funerals in Israel are not expensive. Jewish law prohibits embalming, and that reduces the price tremendously. Caskets are all made from pine and, in fact, in many cases (not my ex's) the deceased are put into body bags and then a casket which has a trap door so that the deceased can be buried just in the bag and the casket re-used over and over again.

I understand that land in cemeteries is expensive but our kibbutz owns its own cemetery so that had no cost. In addition, no "funeral home" was involved. She died on a Friday, was kept in the hospital until Sunday, and buried immediately.

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
I'm not surprised about the costs, but it is shameful for the headstone businesses. My husband's grandma's (flat) headstone upsets me. Someone added a metal medallion that indicated she was a Holocaust survivor; she was not. So, they removed it leaving a blemish on her headstone. I'm not sure why it wasn't replaced.

pasharain

(ง︡'-'︠)ง ♥ Quasher of Dead Links ♥
Weddings and funerals both rackets sad to say. My husband and I prepaid for our funerals through his job (large hospital) about 10 years ago when we were in our 30s. The younger you were, the cheaper it was to prepay. Plus, they offered a low monthly interest-free payment plan. We also planned how our burials would take place to make it easier on one another and our families.

My mother’s siblings (3 brothers) did not see eye to eye at all when my grandmother died, and they still have bad blood amongst them. I wanted to avoid any possiblity of history repeating itself, especially if we were to die before our parents...

My husband’s ideas about his burial and his mother’s are polar opposites. He wants to be cremated (because its the cheapest route) to leave the most money behind for the living. He thinks expensive coffins, etc. are ridiculous and is determined that his participation in the “funeral racket” will be at a bare minimum. His mother does not feel the same, she desires “the works.” I am glad his wishes are in writing. In that way, she would know I am respecting his wishes, and not intentionally trying to upset her.

I have a legal background so I was able to prepare (i.e. free) all the necessary documentation in the event of an accident...such as Living Wills (our wishes with respect to life support), powers of attorney for financial matters, whether we want to donate our organs, etc. In that way too, we do not have to make any hard choices while we are an emotional wreck...how hard would that be?

It is a bit gloomy to think of such things, especially when you’re young, but it is very loving toward your surviving loved ones.

Last edited:

pasharain

(ง︡'-'︠)ง ♥ Quasher of Dead Links ♥
If you have a Living Will, keep a card in your wallet saying so. I also keep a copy of mine in my car’s glove box. That way, if I am in a car accident and unconscious, I have a method of communicating my wishes. My wallet card indicates that there is a copy of my Living Will in the glove box.