Recipes - Tried & True The BEST (and easiest!) bran bread

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
A friend of ours has been giving us a loaf of this at Christmas for many years. If it gets close to Christmas and we haven't gotten a loaf we always start worrying that we've been eliminated from her list! :wink7: (Doubt that'll happen since Hubs also takes them one of his apple pies.)

This bread is SO moist and delicious. We just love it. It is a bit sweet as written but I use less sugar.

9 2 15
Bran Bread

3 cups hot water*
1 package rapid rise yeast
1 cup Kellogg's All Bran cereal
1 scant cup sugar
1 stick real butter (at room temperature)
1 tablespoon salt
7 cups bread flour

Pour water into large bowl and sprinkle yeast over it. Let set for 3-5 minutes until the yeast dissolves. Add the cereal, sugar, salt, butter and 4 cups of the flour into bowl. Blend with mixer until smooth. Add remaining 3 cups of flour. Let rise in the bowl til double, about 2-4 hours.

Turn out onto floured surface and knead for about a minute. Cut into 3 parts. Take each and pat down into a rectangle then fold over into thirds to form a loaf.

Place into a greased bread pan and let rise til double again, about 2-3 hours.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Remove from pans immediately and place on cooling rack. Brush tops with butter.

*Water needs to be hotter than lukewarm but not scalding or boiling.

Notes - Updated 1 13 16 .... Don't be intimidated by the number of notes, they are just tips!

I have made this a dozen times or so now - it's fantastic and easy!! :encourage19:

You do not need a dough hook or big fancy mixer. I use a cheap hand mixer to blend the ingredients with the first 4 cups of flour then use a strong spatula to mix in the rest.

Lately, both risings have only taken an hour each for the dough to double in size.

Probably will not take 30 minutes to bake - you'll just need to watch it and see what works for you.

In addition to the All bran I add some wheat germ.

I use less sugar - probably 2/3 cup instead of 1 full cup.

I mix it and do the first rising all in the same bowl.

If you have enough pans you can get 4 loaves from this - they might not rise as high but it's fine and greatly reduces the chance for dough spilling over!
I never brush the tops with butter - we just put it on each piece. :smile7:

Last edited:

3timesoccermom

Re: The BEST bran bread

Oh my goodness I made this today and it's SO EASY!! In 10 minutes I was done mixing it and had put in the oven (it was NOT turned on) to rise! It does take 2 separate risings but if you want to try making an EASY bread that will get raves try this one. You only have to knead it for a minute or 2.

It makes 3 large loaves so lots to share. I used 2 standard-sized loaf pans and 5 mini-loaf pans.

I did not even use the Kellogg's All Bran - I had a box of generic bran flakes from WM and it turned out just fine. The only other thing I did differently was to use a little less sugar.

I also do not have a big mixer with a dough hook, I just mixed it with a regular hand mixer with the first 4 cups of flour then used a spatula to combine the rest of it.

If anyone wants to try this and needs clarification or additional instructions JLMK!

C

CouponQueen23

I might give this a whirl really soon good to know I can use a hand mixer...lol!! As fall gets here I love making stews and having fresh baked bread too sounds heavenly!!

3timesoccermom

You won't regret it. Just use bread flour and make sure the yeast is fresh. Your family will love it!!

I might give this a whirl really soon good to know I can use a hand mixer...lol!! As fall gets here I love making stews and having fresh baked bread too sounds heavenly!!

C

CouponQueen23

Looking forward to it. We will be doing our logs for winter soon, and this will be a nice treat when everyone comes in after working so hard! :)

3timesoccermom

The bran flakes I used were exactly like the ones in raisin bran. If I weren't out of bread flour I already would have made this again.

In the past when I made bread we we would hack into it as soon as it came out of the oven but it always mushed it, this time I made everyone leave it alone til it cooled, then I dumped it out of the pan and a thin serrated bread knife sliced it perfectly (also tried a thick serrated knife and not so neat cutting). But I know it's very hard to resist hot bread!

The loaves are big! Next time (this week) I plan to make 4 loaves. They'll be smaller but we'll have more to share. I never brushed ours with butter.

Oh that sounds really good Renee. Do you think you could use raisin bran?

C

clippyclippy

I thought I had posted here, Renee, but I don't see it, so I guess I didn't :dontknow1:
I made this about 7 or 8 times over the past few months.

I used the recipe, but for a different result. I added dried cranberries ( just because I had so many) then rolled the dough out, sprinkled/spread butter and brown sugar on it, and rolled it up into mini loaves.
This was a huge hit in our house!
So then I made them for a bake sale and again, they went quickly. I probably made 12 mini loaves for that sale.

Sadly, it's just 3 of us at home now, and we can't eat much baked goodies, so I have to look instead for opportunities to bake for other people :biggrin:

3timesoccermom

:wave88: [MENTION=32345]clippyclippy[/MENTION] - it's so good to see you! Thanks for the update and your ideas. I have been wondering how it would work to use some brown sugar and cinnamon in it and I just bought 2 bags of dried cranberries yesterday so I might try your idea. One time I'd mixed up some brown sugar and a heavy dose of cinnamon to put on peaches to bake and I had some leftover so I mixed in some butter and used that as a spread for the hot bread. It was SO good.

Every time we give some away they ask us for the recipe. I don't know how many times now I've printed it! But yes, it makes a LOT and it's always fun to share. We always give FIL some - he loves it - and Hubs will often take a loaf to work.

Hope you and yours are doing well. How is your daughter liking Texas?

I thought I had posted here, Renee, but I don't see it, so I guess I didn't :dontknow1:
I made this about 7 or 8 times over the past few months.

I used the recipe, but for a different result. I added dried cranberries ( just because I had so many) then rolled the dough out, sprinkled/spread butter and brown sugar on it, and rolled it up into mini loaves.
This was a huge hit in our house!
So then I made them for a bake sale and again, they went quickly. I probably made 12 mini loaves for that sale.

Sadly, it's just 3 of us at home now, and we can't eat much baked goodies, so I have to look instead for opportunities to bake for other people :biggrin:

C

clippyclippy

We are doing well, thanks for asking :smile7:
My dd and hubby are settling in just fine, but it's hard to get used to her being so far away... :sad3: I need to make a visit soon. We met in NW Alabama (my dh family) at Thanksgiving, then they flew home for Christmas and will come back in June. So I'm thankful for all of that.

The peach spread sounds yummy!!