Coupon Policy Target Revises Coupon Policy as of June 2012

Discussion in 'Target' started by jeffcocouponlady, Jul 17, 2012.

1. jeffcocouponlady

jeffcocouponlady Grizz-ly Bear Trader Group

Target : Expect More Pay Less

First of all I will provide you with the link where you can go and read Target's New Coupon Policy issued in June 2012. Make you sure print out a new copy if you like to carry store coupon policies in your binders.

There are 4 Important changes to the policy you should keep in mind, and please remember that this policy is fairly new so be patient with cashiers when checking out because some of them are still being trained and notified of the changes.

• Limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon)
    Now you will only be allowed to use 4 identical coupons per household. Now if the coupon states a lower restriction then you go by what the coupon says.

• Returns of items purchased using Manufacturer coupons may receive coupon value returned in the form of a Target GiftCard. Keep in mind that when you use Target Coupons you will NEVER get back the value of the Coupon, it will automatically adjust the price of the item.
    • We reserve the right to accept, refuse or limit the use of any coupon This has finally been added to the coupon policy so that people cannot really fight about a way a coupon is interpreted between the Store and the Guest.
    • We do not accept Canadian coupons in our US stores I thought this one was rather interesting and I guess this is an issue with stores that border Canada.

*If you have any questions, concerns, doubts feel free to ask you never know someone else might have the same question.

berneunion and collectorofbells like this.
  2. jeffcocouponlady

now that I put that out there I am going to write my opinion on this. I am not surprised that quantity limits have been placed when it comes to the coupon policy. People misusing coupons, clearing shelves, buying items and then returning them for the retail value knowing they were going to get back the FULL Retail value. On other forums I have already read protests saying its not fair and it is an outrage, especially the new rule on returning items that were purchased on a giftcard. But really I personally don't think it's wrong. I mean your still getting back the full value including the coupon you used just in a form of a giftcard. But as I mentioned before just please try to be patient with the cashiers. When new policies are put into place not every store is always great in passing down the information let alone the CORRECT information. If any of you have any question feel free to pm me or post them on here I will be glad to answer. The FAQ's were also updated to reflect the change.

*On a side note I would like to congratulate you all for trying very hard to post your deals on the Target Forum! Lets try and keep this going so we can keep this forum booming! Especially because Summer clearance has begun at some stores, Tax free weekend is coming up next month, back to school sales are beginning. Thanks again!

castocreations likes this.
  3. Spanelli8706

Spanelli8706 New Member Trader Group

I never buy mass quantities... so it doesn't bother me too much. Thanks for sharing the update!!

4. CHOCLABLUVR

CHOCLABLUVR New Member

4 identical coupons per household per day is ridiculous! I am one person and my husband is a second person, just
    because we live together in one household that means between the two of us we can only use 4 identical coupons in one day!
    Target is a billion dollar corporation, they can afford to allow more than 4 identical coupons per household per day.
    Even Giant Eagle is 12 of the same identical coupons per person per day! If they updated this policy this past June, then
    they have had plenty enough time to let ALL of their cashiers know what their new policy is. It doesn't take from June to August to pass this info along to all of their cashiers. I had no clue about this "identical coupon" policy and used 12 of the same RoseArt
    coupons at Target today and the cashier didn't say that I couldn't. They certainly DO NOT have their coupon policy posted in eyesight when you walk into their store and I did not notice anything posted at the checkout registers. I do not have all the time in the world to look up every store's coupon policy online before shopping for all their little details. It's August 5th and if this policy changed in June, then Target management is doing a crappy job of informing their cashiers of their new policy.

5. $Saving!

$Saving! New Member Trader Group

I don't see this as a problem. Most manufacturers are putting limits in the wording on their coupons (no more than 3 or 4 identical coupons per transaction etc) and many stores put limits on the number of like coupons as well. And that is to the benefit of all consumers that not one person will go in and buy all the stock with multiple identical coupons. It's not like you can't go back another day and buy more if you need it.

This is meant to stop the hoarding and reselling mass quantities as we know happens as well as give all customers a chance to get some items on sale, vs one or two getting all.

6. joshmamabear

joshmamabear Member Of The Month Nov. 2011 Trader Group

I may not like this new policy but I understand why it is being implemented. In TWQs, I think it is written one offer per customer but we all know how many people have posted that they used as many as they can and cashier allowed them. Who's in charge in implementing their policy if registers can't/won't be able to enforce it? Therefore, if Target truly wants their rules/policies enforced, they should make sure ALL SMs are made aware and such info trickles down to LOD, STL and cashiers. Unless they can do this, YMMV will always be the rule and customers will continue to go to cashiers who are linient and will override any register beep. JMO.

7. jeffcocouponlady

This policy is being implemented to avoid people from clearing the shelves. You may not have time to look at their coupon policies but as a form of advice you probably should because that way you can avoid any aggravation with cashiers when they are trying to implement the coupon policy. Just because the coupon policy is not posted does not mean we can break the rules. I hope now that you do know the new coupon policy that you yourself choose to follow it because its the right thing to do. Plus Target already gives us a great chance allowing us to stack store and manufacturer coupons. Limits would not be implemented if people were responsible enough to follow the rules. If you ever print Target coupons the coupon policy is available on the same website. If you would like to read it. It is also always recommended to have the coupon policies of your fav stores with you when you do shop because sometimes cashiers get it wrong and you have a reference with you so they have no choice but to take the coupon. I do agree with you about Target management that they are not doing their job by informing cashiers of the new policy or the cashier is just not doing her job.

$Saving! likes this.
  8. jenkatchur

jenkatchur Well-Known Member Trader Group

I like the policy. I've had more problems with cleared shelves at Target than any other store around here, and if more items are available but I am limited to 4 per day, then that is 3 to 4 more than I'm used to. I don't really feel like couponers have some ethical obligation to control their own shopping behavior to allow adequate stock for others - but it does make sense for the store to set these regulations for them, because that keeps people coming in the store. Otherwise, when you stop expecting to find any good deals in stock, you will probably stop going.

9. clippyclippy

clippyclippy (> ” ” <) <i>Heeeeere</i><br>( =’o'= ) <i>kitty</i Trader Group

I also am perfectly fine with the new policy for 2 reasons.
    First of all, I'm like a little kid when it comes to coupon deals. If there isn't a limit, I don't always want to stop! :giggle2: So with the limits in place, I know I can just get 4 and it helps to keep my hobby under control. It's the same reason I only buy 3 papers, no more. And why I''m not much of a trader.

Second, when I am able to pick up 3 deals with my 3 coupons, I'm very happy to know there's a better chance of finding it on the shelf because people ahead of me weren't buying 20 at a time :rolleyes24:

I find for my family of 5, that the limits in my area, which range from 2-4 coupons per trip, are more than enough to keep us supplied with what we need, and I can still donate here and there.

10. CHOCLABLUVR

CHOCLABLUVR New Member

I guess I just don't understand how Walmart does not have a limit on "identical" coupons and Giant Eagle even allows 12 of the same "identical" coupons per day. It just seems that Target could do better and increase the "4" that is allowed. The post above states "4" per household NOT per person per day. Although, I have not been on Target's website to check if the post above is correct. How often is a couponer suppose to check each store's website for their coupon policy to see if it was revised or updated recently, once a week? once a month? once a year? etc... That's a little much in this busy world. I have an elderly mother who has clipped coupons for 50 years, she does not email, she does not own a computer, she has never used a computer, nor ever will. How is someone like that suppose to know each store's policy? It is the responsibility of the store and their cashiers to
    know their own policy. Knowing that information is part of their job! I am not a shelf clearer, normally the shelves are cleared when I get there, and it is frustrating. The trip to the store can be a waste of time and gas money just to find empty shelves. I guess I just don't feel it's my responsibility to check coupon policies constantly online and the cashier should know this info., since it is part of their job. Especially, when someone like my mom would be shopping. If Target is really concerned about their stock/inventory and limiting coupons so that their shelves are not cleared and empty, you would think they would go the next step and make sure their employees are properly trained to ensure the first step they took by limiting the coupons!?!? I don't think their management thought of that in June when the policy changed. I know now, so when I have time, I will print the policy out from their website. Hopefully, it is easy to find on their website.

11. motherofmolly

motherofmolly The Mushroom MoM-ma Trader Group

op provided the link for everyone... Target : Expect More Pay Less

12. babswhyit

babswhyit Member Trader Group

Buy One Get One Free Coupons (BOGO):
    •BOGO coupons cannot be combined (i.e. you cannot use two BOGO coupons on two items and get both for free). Unless stated otherwise on the coupon, the use of one Buy One Get One Free coupon requires that two of the valid items are presented at checkout of which one item will be charged to the guest and the 2nd item will be discounted by its full retail price.
    •A second cents-off coupon of the same type cannot be redeemed towards the purchase price of the first item.
    •If a Target BOGO coupon is used, one additional manufacturer coupon may be used on the first item.
    •If a Manufacturer BOGO coupon is used, one additional Target coupon may be used on the first item.

Looks like I will be shopping at Wal-Mart more. They take Target coupons along with the manufacturer coupons, so no lose for me except the extra 5% off using my Target debit card.

13. jaws1

jaws1 New Member

I may be mistaken, but I don't think WM is going to take the TQ PLUS MQ on same item. I believe their policy says one Q per item, which can be EITHER a competitor Q OR a MQ.

14. joshmamabear

joshmamabear Member Of The Month Nov. 2011 Trader Group

This must be a YMMV because the WM policy I know of says they do not accept cents/dollars off X items from competitors but they will take competitor coupons like WAG in ad coupons that say $.59 on Nestle candies.

I have also read some WMs take the cents/dollar off competitor coupons as ad match and thereby accept MQs on top of it. Since HQ allows stores to interpret the coupon policy, this is where YMMV comes in.

15. GennelR

GennelR New Member

Can I use a Target Q and MFC Q on same item?? "stacking"

16. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Member of the Month June 2012 <br>Queen Of The Cir Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

Yes! :biggrin:
    It's the 1st item in their coupon policy HERE :smile:

17. GennelR

GennelR New Member

Awesome! I need to stock up on splenda!

18. isis

isis Member Of The Month June 2010<BR>Mod Of The Month Super Mod Trader Group Moderator

I have no idea if this was posted already, but in case anyone doesn't know, Target recently updated their policy regarding "Redeemable At" Coupons!! And also clarify "Per Purchase" and "Per Transaction"

How can I tell if Target will accept my manufacturer coupon?
    Target will accept your manufacturer coupon, as long as printed limitations and requirements are met. Keep in mind:
    Manufacturer coupons can be accepted at the register even if they don't clearly indicate who the manufacturer is, or if they indicate the name of another retailer.
    If a coupon states "Manufacturer Coupon," it's redeemable anywhere (including Target), even if the coupon states, "Redeemable at Kroger, Cub, etc." (or any other retailer).
    Manufacturer coupons that are found on the Internet and printed are accepted.
    Target doesn't accept manufacturer "rebate" coupons.

What is the difference between “per purchaseâ€￾ and “per transactionâ€￾ when using coupons?
    One coupon per purchase means you're using one coupon per item being purchased. You can use multiples of the same coupon as long as each coupon has a matching item.

One coupon per transaction means you can use only one specific coupon per store transaction. You can't use more than one same coupon, even if you're buying multiple items.

SubCategory Article